• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Official Pokémon Sword and Shield speculation thread (Updated June 5th, 2019)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Speaking of which are their any animals you're hoping to see based on Pokemon this Gen?
I want a new raven mon and a badger

Guys, It's ok, really. If you like it, like it as it is. If you think GF has done a good job, fine. I don't, for the reasons above (that's definitively the 3ds engine, I don't even want to think that they spent time changing the engine for the exact same result).
These are the games, some like what they saw, other didn't. Not a big deal.

That's for sure. It's what GF does every time they feel people didn't accept a title.
So you'd be disappointed if they didn't change the engine, and would be disappointed if they did and resulted with this. Not leaving much room to find something to appreciate.

I'm not really dissapointed with anything we've seen yet since conceptually the game is exactly what I wanted as a follow up to gen 7 (europe-based region, region as 1 landmass, trainers aged up again, gyms returning) BUT it really annoys me that gamefreak didn't change the posing for the pokemon models

I don't think the models look bad at all, but the majority of them just kinda stand there in this idle pose, which doesn't really make sense when they're in the heat of a battle, and robs them of a lot of personality ;-; It was like that in gen 6 and 7, and I was hoping it would be fixed in gen 8 but it doesn't look likely. The particles on the new battle animations are really nice though

Most of the other stuff I'm concerned about (how many new pokemon are we getting? How linear will the progression be? How much handholding? etc) isn't stuff I'll be disappointed by till the actual launch of the game :confused:

Yall... kalos had very few new pokemon introduced (not including megas), the story was bland, little post game, not many interesting characters at all.

The only good thing about Kalos was mega evolution and that's it.

So I'm not really excited to go back there... I dont see a reason to.

Outside of this, you have to consider that johto probably only had kanto since gold and silver was supposed to be the last pokemon games (I forgot where i heard this but ye). The graphics from gen 1 to gen 2 were very copy paste unlike xy to ss, so theres that too. Also would the pokemon league connect like they do in johto or like?? Honestly I dont see that happening.

But if they do connect to kalos at least we will probably see more megas. I love mega evolution.

So you'd be disappointed if they didn't change the engine, and would be disappointed if they did and resulted with this. Not leaving much room to find something to appreciate.
Really?
" I don't even want to think that they spent time changing the engine for the exact same result". Spending time to have the same result is losing time.That's s/m on the switch. Is asking for something that doesn't look like a 3ds game when we are on a home console asking too much?
Anyway, guys stop this. Do you realize you are acting like I have to like these games necessarily? There are things I don't like, can you live with it or you just don't accept that people have opinions about the things you like?

I'm not really dissapointed with anything we've seen yet since conceptually the game is exactly what I wanted as a follow up to gen 7 (europe-based region, region as 1 landmass, trainers aged up again, gyms returning) BUT it really annoys me that gamefreak didn't change the posing for the pokemon models

I don't think the models look bad at all, but the majority of them just kinda stand there in this idle pose, which doesn't really make sense when they're in the heat of a battle, and robs them of a lot of personality ;-; It was like that in gen 6 and 7, and I was hoping it would be fixed in gen 8 but it doesn't look likely. The particles on the new battle animations are really nice though

Most of the other stuff I'm concerned about (how many new pokemon are we getting? How linear will the progression be? How much handholding? etc) isn't stuff I'll be disappointed by till the actual launch of the game :confused:
Well what did you expect? It was made around the same time as Gen 6 before Gen 7 was released.

Yall... kalos had very few new pokemon introduced (not including megas), the story was bland, little post game, not many interesting characters at all.

The only good thing about Kalos was mega evolution and that's it.

So I'm not really excited to go back there... I dont see a reason to.

Outside of this, you have to consider that johto probably only had kanto since gold and silver was supposed to be the last pokemon games (I forgot where i heard this but ye). The graphics from gen 1 to gen 2 were very copy paste unlike xy to ss, so theres that too. Also would the pokemon league connect like they do in johto or like?? Honestly I dont see that happening.

But if they do connect to kalos at least we will probably see more megas. I love mega evolution.
Well, to be fair, as someone that played the leaked demo, it was better to have copy-pasted Kanto over the mess they used in the demo.

I think part of my brain was "expecting" some unusual innovations in presentation and gameplay, but I am pleasantly surprised that many aspects from the handheld games are remaining.

It allows Game Freak plenty of room to make a more divergent Gen somewhere in the future.
Breath of the Wild, and Smash Ultimate, for example, are going to be very challenging to follow up!
I personally would rather have one, two, or three "classic gameplay" Gens on Switch than none, because they can always eventually be followed up by something different!

I expected Gen VIII on the Switch to look just like Gen VII, but HD. And that's exactly what we got.

I am glad I kept my expectations relatively low. I guess I just know what to expect from Game Freak :)

Last edited:
Really?
" I don't even want to think that they spent time changing the engine for the exact same result". Spending time to have the same result is losing time.That's s/m on the switch. Is asking for something that doesn't look like a 3ds game when we are on a home console asking too much?
Anyway, guys stop this. Do you realize you are acting like I have to like these games necessarily? There are things I don't like, can you live with it or you just don't accept that people have opinions about the things you like?
I'm not even that crazy about Sword and Shield and don't expect you to like it, I just don't understand what you were expecting that would have warranted not moaning about how Game Freak is such a disappointment every page.

Oh come on everyone, we got what we got for a Pokemon RPG, isn't that a lot to ask here?

I haven't really found anything to be too disappointed about yet. I am curious to see what they will do with these arenas and the gyms. I am not personally the biggest fan of sports, so I really hope the arena and sports theme that seemingly surrounds the gyms is more direct to the Pokemon themselves, and they find out a way to make it interesting. So far it does look like the arenas are just arenas, and if these are connected to the gyms, which it sounds like they might be, then it doesn't look like there will be any theme on the inside of the gym that is like "Hey, this is a ____ Type Gym" which is pretty disappointing to me. Prove me wrong GF, give me themes.

I still think the graphics look pretty good, and yes there are some smaller things they can fix (shadows), but I am sure the games will come out much more polished than they are now. And frankly, even if they aren't, it's not the kind of thing that bugs me too much, though I can definitely see why it bugs others. It only really bugs me when it's a big issue with colors or missing frames (Brionne is a good example of the color thing, with it's ingame model looking significantly brighter color wise than the official art).

Speaking of which are their any animals you're hoping to see based on Pokemon this Gen?
I want a new raven mon and a badger
I'm actually kinda hoping to see a magpie. =D
And a corgi.
Also more horses... more dogs... proper dragons... and a capybara pikaclone just to see what the biggest pika would look like.

Honestly. Ever since Let's Go came out and people were doin nothing but ranting about it at the time, I literally stated that if this is enough to get em raving, Gen 8 will be a massive disappointment to them. Granted there's not as much negativity surrounding as expected, thank goodness, but it's trying to surface.

when will people understand that overworld pokemon is only an LGPE thing, since they are trying to match pokemon go.

After the relatively "big" gamble they took with no gyms in SM, and the mainline styled spin-off that was LGPE that contained a lot of QoL experimentation, I very much expected them to double down on a very basic styled game for Gen 8, and that looks exactly like what we're getting. I do wish that they would experiment more, or at the very least, keep features consistent, but I'm very much expecting them to do exactly what they did with XY compared to BW/2, which is to dial everything back and put out a "basic" game for the new console. Then, they might experiment again with Gen 9 once they feel comfortable again.

I don't see any kind of magnificent postgame happening. Fortunately, since Pokemon is now on a home console, the case can be made for future games to have postgames of greater size if the console lasts long enough for GF to get very comfortable experimenting on it. If a 3rd generation can be put on the Switch, we might see something like the Sevii Islands again. From what I see of how GF behaves, what content we get seems to have more to do with how long a console can last before they clam back up into conservative mode as they adjust to a new console. Or how long a console can last before they decide they've done everything they can do on it and hit the hardware's capability limit. The ceiling should be higher with the Switch, so I'm banking on the former.

Just because the origin was in Go doesn't mean they can't add it in. (besides, I'm pretty sure Go doesn't involve the Pokemon actually moving around like LGPE did)
That would be accurate, yeah- pokemon in GO are very stationary.

I think overworld pokemon is something that could move to the main series games in the future- but it makes sense that it didn't happen this generation due to feedback on LGPE coming late in Gen 8's development. LGPE took a lot of risks that they couldn't have known which features were going to appeal to the traditional audience.

I'm personally happy with the graphics — LGPE's look with SM's proportions, some more polishing, and no grid was what I expected and hoped for, and I'm much more curious/worried about the design of Galar itself more than anything. That being said, I can completely understand the disappointment, it's traditional Pokemon's console debut and GF is the dev of the most profitable IP on the planet, I don't think it's unreasonable at all for it to look a lot better.
Also, regarding the Sinnoh remakes, I'd personally want them because GF's being a lot looser in terms of faithfulness as time goes on, LGPE being the sole exception (even then, LGPE completely revamped the wild battle system, for better or for worse). The thought of being able to go through DPPt without worrying about HMs is also pretty tempting considering that Sinnoh was peak HM Hell. If GF decided to do DPPt 2 though, I'd totally be down.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom