• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Official Pokémon Sword and Shield speculation thread (Updated June 5th, 2019)

Status
Not open for further replies.
My biggest red flag for this "leak" is this. I've never heard of this bug before. Is it commonly known in the UK or anywhere else? Because if not, I can't see the average person just suddenly know what species it is. I don't know about you but I don't have enough Entomology knowledge to suddenly recognize that a pokemon is based on an obscure bug unlike a bee or butterfly or something.

Plus, even if it is a common knowledge in the UK, this person probably isn't even from there.
Since this is apparently from an E3 demo that is likely handled by Nintendo Japan or America. There's a chance that they just searched up a bug species from UK and just go with it.
Well, I found the bug:

It looks like some kind of stinkbug, in my opinion.

There is a new rumor on 4chan saying that their friend somehow got his hands on the Sword&Shield demo. He says the area you're allowed to walk is huge, and there is a warbler pokemon ( named soarbler), a dog pokemon (pembork), a badger pokemon,etc. Sounds fake as shit to me, but I just thought it would be fun to make fun of.

It's likely false, because Demo Carts don't exist with the switch. They are hardwired onto the demo switch typically. It is true however that demo's are done ahead of time as was the case with Mario Odyssey.

My biggest red flag for this "leak" is this. I've never heard of this bug before. Is it commonly known in the UK or anywhere else? Because if not, I can't see the average person just suddenly know what species it is. I don't know about you but I don't have enough Entomology knowledge to suddenly recognize that a pokemon is based on an obscure bug unlike a bee or butterfly or something.

Plus, even if it is a common knowledge in the UK, this person probably isn't even from there
Since this is apparently from an E3 demo that is likely handled by Nintendo Japan or America. There's a chance that they just searched up a bug specie from UK and just go with it.

There's a ton of shield bugs in the UK though. Just because they're not common as bees and butterflies doesn't mean a regional bug pokemon can't be based off of one. I'd be more concerned if the person did pick a butterfly or a bee since they're almost too common and too easy to pick from. At least with with shield bugs the thematic naming is still there.

Also shield bugs are common in the US too. It's just a lot of people think they're the same as stink bugs and lump them together.

Well, I found the bug:

It looks like some kind of stinkbug, in my opinion.
There's a ton of shield bugs in the UK though. Just because they're not common as bees and butterflies doesn't mean a regional bug pokemon can't be based off of one. I'd be more concerned if the person did pick a butterfly or a bee since they're almost too common and too easy to pick from. At least with with shield bugs the thematic naming is still there.

Also shield bugs are common in the US too. It's just a lot of people think they're the same as stink bugs and lump them together.

Yeah, but the question is. How does the "leaker" just look at the pokemon and can immediately identify what species of bug it is based on? He even specify a Juniper Shieldbug, not just any shieldbug. I did some research and it isn't even the most known Shieldbug much less a well know insect.

Last edited:

I can see them identifying it as a shield bug, but down to that exact species is a little questionable. XD

Shield bug could make for a cool bug pokemon, though... steel-type, make the "shield" part literal?

It's likely false, because Demo Carts don't exist with the switch. They are hardwired onto the demo switch typically. It is true however that demo's are done ahead of time as was the case with Mario Odyssey.
That's pretty interesting. I didn't know about this. I guess this will make getting hold of them even harder.

"
-2 Professors/Brothers: Both have different ideals based off of defense and offense. Each give you a starter Pokémon.
-The first professor you meet gives you Gen 8 starter.
-The second professor- you’ll meet shortly into the game gives you a starter from Johto.
-There is 96 new Pokémon. 3 legendaries. 3 mythical.
-Starters have very interesting final typings.
-No new types.
-Two new fossil pokemon:
Saber Tooth Tiger Rock/Electric & Mastodon Rock/Ground
-Eevee has two a new Evolution: Steel.
-Wizardry and folklore dominate new characters and Pokémon. There is a lot of association with sports too- mainly football.
-There are 24 new Megas.
To name some: Johto Starters, Crobat, Ursaring, Bronzong, Froslass, Gigalith, Excadrill, Conkeldurr, Krookodile, Klinklang, and Aegislash.
Also: Aegislash = Lucario.
-There is 15 new Regional Variants from Johto.
-A few: Sentret/Furret, Natu/Xatu, Slowking, Girafarig, & Slugma/Magcargo. "

That's pretty interesting. I didn't know about this. I guess this will make getting hold of them even harder.

With Smash especially at events, there was always security. Would be very hard to steal a switch from In store event / Treehouse / E3 with a demo.

I'd imagine Pokemon will be the same.

"
-2 Professors/Brothers: Both have different ideals based off of defense and offense. Each give you a starter Pokémon.
-The second professor- you’ll meet shortly into the game gives you a starter from Johto.
-No new types.
-Two new fossil pokemon:
-Wizardry and folklore dominate new characters and Pokémon. There is a lot of association with sports too- mainly football.
-There are 24 new Megas.
To name some: Johto Starters, Crobat, Ursaring, Bronzong, Froslass, Gigalith, Excadrill, Conkeldurr, Krookodile, Klinklang, and Aegislash.
Sounds like a mashup of X/Y and S/M with the Johto starters and Johto regional variants.

Also I can totally get behind having another saber tooth tiger but... not another electric one? Surely we can slap another type on that cat.

This "leak" is so familiar. Like, so many ORAS and SM fake leaks hit the same exact notes. But most of those suggested regional variants are new, so props to them for that.

"
-No new types.
-Two new fossil pokemon:
-There are 24 new Megas.
Mega excadrill ? yes please

"
-No new types.
-Two new fossil pokemon:
-There are 24 new Megas.

It's interesting. I do love the idea of the two professors, but like I mentioned when talking about a leak earlier, I'm just not sure if offense and defense is what they are focusing on. That being said, I really love this idea.
It does sound a lot like many things that have been touched on before. There was a leak earlier or yesterday that said regional variants from Johto. Another one that said Eevee would have a Steel type eeveelution (and a dragon, but this isn't listed here).
And in the pre-SwSh announcement time there was a leak mentioning a sabor tooth cat Pokemon, though that one was a legendary. I can see us getting a sabortooth cat for a fossil Pokemon, but that electric typing makes me question it because Raikou is electric.

I'm leaning towards fake on this one, but I think it's more just because it features thing from previous leaks. Also with nothing completely accurate (at least as far as we know) being leaked before the games announcement really shows that they are being more careful this gen, so frankly at this point, all leaks are questionable.

That being said, I do love a lot of the ideas of this leak. Mega Typhlosion please, give me it now. Piper (the name I give all my female Cyndaquil, after my first ever starter Pokemon) already wrecks face on her own, so Mega Piper? Yes please. It's just sad that I can't use her because I limit myself to new Pokemon/new regional variants for my first run through at least.

Hard to believe in any rumor that point to new megas... I guess that GF don't want to bring this to gen 8 to focus on Galar own new gimmicks

"
-No new types.
-Two new fossil pokemon:
-There are 24 new Megas.
Fun concepts, but way too much to be legitimate. We're at least half a year away from release, and yet this user has somehow received:

• All of the legendaries
  • All of the mythicals
  • The start evos
  • The fossil pokemon
  • The new Eeveelution
  • All 24 new Megas (because Megas aren't given different dex numbers, they'd have to know about the existence of each one to be sure of the total)
  • All 15 new regional variants (same situation as Megas)
  • Both of the professors
  • And some general knowledge about the new characters and Pokemon.
When we got such a huge amount of knowledge in the past, it was because the game itself had been leaked, like with SuMo and BW, and was a lot closer to the game's release. There's no way Game Freak's security is so bad that this can all be leaked within eight days of the games' announcement. (And if it was, why wasn't it shared until now? LGPE leaks went on for a good while longer before the game was announced)

Verlisify brought up this interesting post that's now gone. Can't find it meaning it was taken down the same day it was posted. I'd another sword shield demo thing.

"52 new pokemon
15 Galarian Forms
No new Megas
Models of new pokemon are not in demo (good job GF)
No Kalos post-game
New Mechanic called Arena Fight
Armored pokemon are a thing"

And that's all I can see

Verlisify brought up this interesting post that's now gone. Can't find it meaning it was taken down the same day it was posted. I'd another sword shield demo thing.

"52 new pokemon
15 Galarian Forms
No new Megas
Models of new pokemon are not in demo (good job GF)
No Kalos post-game
New Mechanic called Arena Fight
Armored pokemon are a thing"

And that's all I can see
52 new pokemon ? i don't know about that

Verlisify isn’t exactly known for his...credibility.

Anyway for that first leak the part that really leads me to doubt its authenticity is “The starters have very interesting final typings”. Like what does that even mean lol it feels like a massive cop-out. Why reveal all the other info but then leave that out?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom