• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Official Pokémon Sword and Shield speculation thread (Updated June 5th, 2019)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Often objects look like they were just put on the environment instead of being part of it. Textures seem to be still low-res and the shadows are not properly done sometimes.
I know about the Poke Ball issue, but what other shadows can you see that weren't done right? What are the low-res textures or the objects just put on the environment? I rewatched the trailer, and the only issues I saw were in some decorative plants. (A few trees here and there, the ones outside the player's house) And sure, that's not high-quality, but generalizing all textures as low-res strikes me as unfair when the same trailer gives us shots like these.

In fact, compared to those of Odyssey, I'd argue that SwSh's seem to be even more detailed.

Also, speaking of the Poke Ball-almost right after the one without a shadow, there's another one with a shadow.

The major problem, anyway, is the lack of a proper 360° camera. This doesn't help at all, cause you really miss the feel that there's something around you. While you walk/surf/run you can only see a portion of the world, it's like moving into a photograph.
I'd argue that this is a totally separate issue from graphic quality. I get the appeal of a 360 camera, for sure, but it's more a matter of what's being shown than the quality of what's being displayed. Looking at something from a different angle doesn't increase the graphic quality of it at all.

I think it's also worth mentioning that 360 cameras aren't really a standard, especially not for RPG games. While there are several best-selling Switch games with camera controls, they're also all games that tend to use camera control as part of their gameplay. (Odyssey, BOTW, Mario Rabbids, Pokken Tournament, Captain Toad, and Splatoon 2. The one exception would be Smash, which is just in the pause menu) The top-selling RPGs, Xenoblade Chronicles and Octopath Traveler, don't have any camera controls. It's even less of a requirement in examining the best selling games of all time-only six of the top 50 games included a player-controlled camera. ( List of best-selling video games - Wikipedia ) That number can go up to 11 if we count CoD's camera, which moves with the player if I'm not mistaken, but that's still only 1/5 of the best selling games of all time.

This isn't to say that a controllable camera wouldn't be a positive or welcome addition to the games, just that Game Freak isn't failing in a major way by not including it.
And two characters that are not so generic. After 23 years we definitively need two characters that feel authetic and not emotionless dummies.
I felt like there was a lot of emotion shown just recently in SuMo. And for SwSh, we've seen a total of four characters, all in casual battles-I think it's too soon to say that they've failed here.

Would you mind giving me an insight to what you might think of this?

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8gjDzvCuXfg

Video title says confirmed, but then he just speculates about it. Okay.

He claims that Nintendo would take down his video for having pictures? These videos showed the leaked SuMo evos before their official reveal, and they're still up.

He tries to pass this off as real?
(Also, he just claimed that leaked pictures on his video would get him in trouble)

Also, he stole someone's art for Mega Infernape and edited their signature out of it. That's really slimy.

I know about the Poke Ball issue, but what other shadows can you see that weren't done right? What are the low-res textures or the objects just put on the environment? I rewatched the trailer, and the only issues I saw were in some decorative plants. (A few trees here and there, the ones outside the player's house) And sure, that's not high-quality, but generalizing all textures as low-res strikes me as unfair when the same trailer gives us shots like these.

In fact, compared to those of Odyssey, I'd argue that SwSh's seem to be even more detailed.

Also, speaking of the Poke Ball-almost right after the one without a shadow, there's another one with a shadow.
View attachment 117116

I'd argue that this is a totally separate issue from graphic quality. I get the appeal of a 360 camera, for sure, but it's more a matter of what's being shown than the quality of what's being displayed. Looking at something from a different angle doesn't increase the graphic quality of it at all.

I think it's also worth mentioning that 360 cameras aren't really a standard, especially not for RPG games. While there are several best-selling Switch games with camera controls, they're also all games that tend to use camera control as part of their gameplay. (Odyssey, BOTW, Mario Rabbids, Pokken Tournament, Captain Toad, and Splatoon 2. The one exception would be Smash, which is just in the pause menu) The top-selling RPGs, Xenoblade Chronicles and Octopath Traveler, don't have any camera controls. It's even less of a requirement in examining the best selling games of all time-only six of the top 50 games included a player-controlled camera. ( List of best-selling video games - Wikipedia ) That number can go up to 11 if we count CoD's camera, which moves with the player if I'm not mistaken, but that's still only 1/5 of the best selling games of all time.

This isn't to say that a controllable camera wouldn't be a positive or welcome addition to the games, just that Game Freak isn't failing in a major way by not including it.

I felt like there was a lot of emotion shown just recently in SuMo. And for SwSh, we've seen a total of four characters, all in casual battles-I think it's too soon to say that they've failed here.

He claims that Nintendo would take down his video for having pictures? These videos showed the leaked SuMo evos before their official reveal, and they're still up.

(Also, he just claimed that leaked pictures on his video would get him in trouble)

Also, he stole someone's art for Mega Infernape and edited their signature out of it. That's really slimy.

The thing battling Minccino looks kinda weird: It's like a weird mix between Dragon Quest and Digimon's artstyles, in fact, I believe I have seen those eyes in a Digimon.

Yeah, pretty much anytime I see a rumor video say "confirmed", I skip over it entirely. Confirmed means it is official. Saying it is confirmed when it is a rumor is just misleading and makes me distrust the rumor entirely. That may not be completely rational, but so far it has worked for me. =P

Yeah, pretty much anytime I see a rumor video say "confirmed", I skip over it entirely. Confirmed means it is official. Saying it is confirmed when it is a rumor is just misleading and makes me distrust the rumor entirely. That may not be completely rational, but so far it has worked for me. =P
Same. When I saw the word "comfirmed" I immediately thought: "did I miss anything?" Then I played the video to see what's up and he says (a paraphrased) "I think an Infernape Mega would be cool". I stopped then and there.

View attachment 117116

When we see the mc in front of the grass gym, there are fences there. The ropes of the fences have not shadows only the wooden stakes do. When we see the female mc next to the lake, all the trees behind the house have no shadows, just the ones between the house and the lake do. In general trees in the background have no shadows. The texture of the battle field during mincinnovspikachu is low-res; the texture of the side wall in the red city where the female mc crosses the bridge is low-res: the texture of the symbol on the mc shirt in the last scene is low-res, the texture below the walls on the bridge of route 1 at the beginning is low-res.
Smash doesn't need a moving camera (I mean, why?), Xenoblade has a dynamic camera, not a perfect one but hey

So... graphics. I have some perhaps interesting thoughts, here.

I say this as someone who grew up playing Pokemon Stadium, Pokemon Colosseum, and Pokemon XD: Gale of Darkness: As long as Pokemon games look good, that's all that really matters. Pokemon Stadium 2 at the time was nuts considering the time period; the fact that you can see your Pokemon team in "3D" at the time was just crazy. And I spent countless hours going up Mt. Battle in Colosseum because I just loved seeing my team on the big screen. Idk about anyone else, but it really made me super excited! Granted, Pokemon Colosseum wasn't the best looking game out there (certainly not by today's standards), but at the time it looked fine; the attacks looked great, the Pokemon themselves looked fine... that's all that really mattered. Maybe it was just me?

Before anyone says anything, yes, I am aware Colo /XD were made by Genius Sonority, not Game Freak. Point still stands, though.

Not saying anyone is here, but I can see why it's so easy to take Pokemon gaming graphics for granted because we've been kinda spoiled with impressive enough graphics on the 3DS for quite a while, now. Personally, I just want my Pokemon gaming experience to be clean and pretty. I'm not expecting Game Freak to leapfrog to 4K graphics anytime soon where the graphics would be so detailed you would see the individual hairs on furry Pokemon (trust me, that'll be a quite a long while away), but for now, I'm pretty satisfied with what we've been shown so far.

I agree with this, but honestly the Pokemon Battle Revolution models look visually more interesting than the 3ds ones and the one's we've seen for the Sword and Shield. I would love for them to showcase pokemon running up to hitting an opponent, the opponent recoiling and both models bouncing back to position showcasing fighting more realistically rather than a fist symbol slapping them for a fighting move. The Wii's Battle Revolution showcased this perfectly back in the era, I dont understand why they cant do or wont do that with the Switch.

I agree with this, but honestly the Pokemon Battle Revolution models look visually more interesting than the 3ds ones and the one's we've seen for the Sword and Shield. I would love for them to showcase pokemon running up to hitting an opponent, the opponent recoiling and both models bouncing back to position showcasing fighting more realistically rather than a fist symbol slapping them for a fighting move. The Wii's Battle Revolution showcased this perfectly back in the era, I dont understand why they cant do or wont do that with the Switch.
That would be cool but only possible with 4+ years of development imo. Pokemon wants a game every year, this simply means they cannot make a "huge" game. I mean, have you considered what you want in terms of creating unique battling animations for 900 pokemon and hundreds of moves? I mean, they had the walking/running animations for all pokemon and didn't make following pokemon in gen 8, just to say...

I really wish You Tubers would stop using "confirmed" so loosely like that, that's just as bad as calling rumors "leaks". There is no truth to the information until the creator of the product says it.

I really wish You Tubers would stop using "confirmed" so loosely like that, that's just as bad as calling rumors "leaks". There is no truth to the information until the creator of the product says it.
You need to remember that they earn money from their videos, they really want people to see them. It's just a way to make more views or clickbait as it's called these days.

You need to remember that they earn money from their videos, they really want people to see them. It's just a way to make more views or clickbait as it's called these days.
You Tubers can make money without using the obvious ones, Ruffled Rowlit for example, he doesn't use "confirm" in his rumor videos.

I don’t watch any Poketuber rumor videos at this point- I feel like if you’re making money based on how often you can put out content, and you arent a professional business with people helping you, you’re probably going to just want to churn out as many videos as possible. And those videos will end up being about literally every ‘leak’ you learn about, or about some fanart you found that looks cool so you have to lie in your thumbnail and present it as if its some kind of revelation about the upcoming games.

And they’re always too long- it’ll be like, about some short list of ‘leaked’ features and they’ll talk for 14 minutes??? They don’t ever actually have any inside scoop or authority- they’re just Pokemon fans who are trying to survive off of making youtube videos about Pokemon rumors.

Sorry, I’ve ranted a bit- I don’t mean to offend anyone who enjoys them, I understand that we don’t have any new info to go off of and I don’t think all of them are necessarily harmful, I just really don’t like them and prefer to just see all of the rumors themselves, without the commentary and deliberate misrepresentation of what’s actually in the rumor.

EDIT: Ruffled Rowlit makes so many videos and most of them look like they’re reaching really hard for a reason to have been made in the first place. I watched one of his videos, where he had talked himself hoarse after ONE DAY of the new trailer being out, and he already had SWSH t-shirts that he was advertising. I don’t have an issue with the dude himself based on what little I know of him, and maybe he’s legitimately just really excited, but I don’t think he has anything actually new or interesting to bring to the table.

Last edited:
You Tubers can make money without using the obvious ones, Ruffled Rowlit for example, he doesn't use "confirm" in his rumor videos.
True, also true that a lot of people see "confirmed" and open that video and not other 100 that don't have "confirmed" on the title. I know what you mean and I agree, clickbait works however, sad but true.

That would be cool but only possible with 4+ years of development imo. Pokemon wants a game every year, this simply means they cannot make a "huge" game. I mean, have you considered what you want in terms of creating unique battling animations for 900 pokemon and hundreds of moves? I mean, they had the walking/running animations for all pokemon and didn't make following pokemon in gen 8, just to say...

Gamefreak could easily outsource the development of the models and animation to another company or developer to make that happen or even with another of their smaller Gamefreak owned companies like Genis Sonority again if they had more numbers . Something like this dramatically changes the outlook of the game in a huge way. They have the money, name and power to make this happen.

I still think it's a bit early to say no following pokemon just yet.

This is a very fair point, but what seems to be the case is that Game Freak has/will be slow to the uptake when it comes to graphics because I don't think that's so much a priority for them. They'll make the graphics nice but that's about as far as they're willing to go since I don't think there's a huge incentive to dump a ton of resources into making things super pretty (yet).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom