• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Official Pokémon Sword and Shield speculation thread (Updated June 5th, 2019)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I really can't think of the game with graphics any better than this. Like, Zelda? There arw a million different graphics I could see it in. From blocky 64 to Toon to BotW.

What exactly counts as not impressive though? What would count as impressive for a game like pokemon?
For me the games, while on 3d, still look kinda 2D sometimes. Often objects look like they were just put on the environment instead of being part of it. Textures seem to be still low-res and the shadows are not properly done sometimes. The major problem, anyway, is the lack of a proper 360° camera. This doesn't help at all, cause you really miss the feel that there's something around you. While you walk/surf/run you can only see a portion of the world, it's like moving into a photograph.
Impressive isn't necessarly the right word, cause it's pokemon. I would say that the proper graphics for a console pokemon game would require: better shadows, high-res textures, more attention to the way things look in the ensemble and a proper camera. And two characters that are not so generic. After 23 years we definitively need two characters that feel authetic and not emotionless dummies.

For me the games, while on 3d, still look kinda 2D sometimes. Often objects look like they were just put on the environment instead of being part of it. Textures seem to be still low-res and the shadows are not properly done sometimes. The major problem, anyway, is the lack of a proper 360° camera. This doesn't help at all, cause you really miss the feel that there's something around you. While you walk/surf/run you can only see a portion of the world, it's like moving into a photograph.
Impressive isn't necessarly the right word, cause it's pokemon. I would say that the proper graphics for a console pokemon game would require: better shadows, high-res textures, more attention to the way things look in the ensemble and a proper camera. And two characters that are not so generic. After 23 years we definitively need two characters that feel authetic and not emotionless dummies.
If that's what counts as good then I say we're all gonna be dissapointed for a good long time.

Villain Teams often (not all the time) have a meaning to their names and the Legendaries.

Team Aqua for Kyogre
Team Magma for Groudon
Team Galactic for Dialga and Palkia
Team Flare for Xernias and Yvaltel

I wonder of what the Team for Galar will be called if the Legendaries mean something other than Attack and Defence.

If that's what counts as good then I say we're all gonna be dissapointed for a good long time.
Oh God, I honestly don't see why they couldn't do it. I mean, what's so impossible in the things I mentioned? If low budget franchises could easly do it, I don't understand why pokemon can't.

Still not sure that the camera really is fixed or if they just chose certain camera angles for the trailer. Ideally the latter, because doing a detailed world and still cementing the camera so you can't look at it is pretty lousy. So I am holding out a small hope that player-controlled camera will be a big feature reveal.

I swear, if they ever give us camera controls and a skippable catching tutorial, it will be an absolutely mindblowing step for the franchise. Sad, small little things that they are.

Still not sure that the camera really is fixed or if they just chose certain camera angles for the trailer. Ideally the latter, because doing a detailed world and still cementing the camera so you can't look at it is pretty lousy. So I am holding out a small hope that player-controlled camera will be a big feature reveal.

I swear, if they ever give us camera controls and a skippable catching tutorial, it will be an absolutely mindblowing step for the franchise. Sad, small little things that they are.
At first in the trailer, when I saw the first city seen from route 1 I thought there was a possibility, then I saw these two frames and in my mind the possibilities were gone. The camera here is almost 100% fixed.

Oh God, I honestly don't see why they couldn't do it. I mean, what's so impossible in the things I mentioned? If low budget franchises could easly do it, I don't understand why pokemon can't.
Cause they don't want too?

At first in the trailer, when I saw the first city seen from route 1 I thought there was a possibility, then I saw these two frames and in my mind the possibilities were gone. The camera here is almost 100% fixed.
View attachment 117111
Yeah, but as Oriden stated, the trailer did show different angles and rotations. Something you can't really do unless the game has a camera controls

View attachment 117111
I dunno, there are so many different camera angles in the trailer- enough to say that it's not particularly consistent. Small hope! Very small.

But admittedly- yeah, I don't think we got the player-controlled camera in these games. -sigh- =( I'll be pleasantly surprised if we did, but this is a hope that I fully expect to be dashed.

My thoughts exactly. It shouldnt have to be mind blowing, these are features that should have been added to the series ages ago lol
We even have JRPGS on the 3ds like Xenoblade Chronicles 1 with a fully roaming camera and DQ games, so Pokemon should be able to. I would imagine they don't because it lets them skip on the visual stuff by only showing one perspective or angle of it.

Personally, lack of camera controls would completely break my interest in these games at this point- I'm not thrilled by what we've seen so far, the only thing that really impresses me is the detail of the region. If we can't actually explore and look around at that freely, then my only interest in the games right now is lost.

Not to say that they couldn't reveal something that could change my mind, but right now that's where my interest is at.

So... graphics. I have some perhaps interesting thoughts, here.

I say this as someone who grew up playing Pokemon Stadium, Pokemon Colosseum, and Pokemon XD: Gale of Darkness: As long as Pokemon games look good, that's all that really matters. Pokemon Stadium 2 at the time was nuts considering the time period; the fact that you can see your Pokemon team in "3D" at the time was just crazy. And I spent countless hours going up Mt. Battle in Colosseum because I just loved seeing my team on the big screen. Idk about anyone else, but it really made me super excited! Granted, Pokemon Colosseum wasn't the best looking game out there (certainly not by today's standards), but at the time it looked fine; the attacks looked great, the Pokemon themselves looked fine... that's all that really mattered. Maybe it was just me?

Before anyone says anything, yes, I am aware Colo /XD were made by Genius Sonority, not Game Freak. Point still stands, though.

Not saying anyone is here, but I can see why it's so easy to take Pokemon gaming graphics for granted because we've been kinda spoiled with impressive enough graphics on the 3DS for quite a while, now. Personally, I just want my Pokemon gaming experience to be clean and pretty. I'm not expecting Game Freak to leapfrog to 4K graphics anytime soon where the graphics would be so detailed you would see the individual hairs on furry Pokemon (trust me, that'll be a quite a long while away), but for now, I'm pretty satisfied with what we've been shown so far.

Last edited:
So... graphics. I have some perhaps interesting thoughts, here.

I say this as someone who grew up playing Pokemon Stadium, Pokemon Colosseum, and Pokemon XD: Gale of Darkness: As long as Pokemon games look good, that's all that really matters. Pokemon Stadium 2 at the time was nuts considering the time period; the fact that you can see your Pokemon team in "3D" at the time was just crazy. And I spent countless hours going up Mt. Battle because I just loved seeing my team on the big screen. Idk about anyone else, but it really made me super excited! Granted, Pokemon Colosseum wasn't the best looking game out there (certainly not by today's standards), but at the time it looked fine; the attacks looked great, the Pokemon themselves looked fine... that's all that really mattered. Maybe it was just me?

Before anyone says anything, yes, I am aware Colo /XD were made by Genius Sonority, not Game Freak. Point still stands, though.

Not saying anyone is here, but I can see why it's so easy to take Pokemon gaming graphics for granted because we've been kinda spoiled with impressive enough graphics on the 3DS for quite a while, now. Personally, I just want my Pokemon gaming experience to be clean and pretty. I'm not expecting Game Freak to leapfrog to 4K graphics anytime soon where the graphics would be so detail you would see the individual hairs on furry Pokemon (trust me, that'll be a quite a long while away), but for now, I'm pretty satisfied with what we've been shown so far.
Gonna agree, the graphics in this game look fantastic! It would just be a shame if we can't really get a good look at them. XD

Speaking of Colosseum, I wonder how to scale the pokemon are in Sword and Shield- is Wailord gonna be massive like it should be?

Yeah, but as Oriden stated, the trailer did show different angles and rotations. Something you can't really do unless the game has a camera controls
I know what the trailer showed, as I said, I was the first to think it was possible at first. Anyway, I still believe if a moving camera was in these games we would have seen something that was obviously pointing that way. What we saw, however, points to a more dynamic fixed camera. The cave, for example, looks like a bunch of corridors linked together, in the style of a lot of past pokemon caves. It's tight and a moving camera in there would be a mess.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom