• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Alola League Information

Anyway, the fact that Lillie will have Magearna fixed before the League, combined with the fact that Ohmori stated that SwSh will release in Winter, means that the League isn't happening as soon as some people might think. It's still quite far off.

It also says that Meltan's potential has yet to be revealed, so we'll get some more focus on it too.

Last edited:
Ugh. This League's going to be a mess. Probably short too.

I never thought they'd stoop so low as to have people who are barely even trainers in a League...
Hell, NO ONE has a full team this saga!

This is even going to be more of a formality than the Kalos League. Even then it had some legit trainers (even if some of them sucked), cool battles, great animation, and Team Flare. Even the Isshu rivals were better trainers than these kids.

The fact they're telling us about it so soon feels like it's going to happen earlier than usual...

Also, a kind of unfair they didn't mention the TRio participating. Do the SM writers just HATE the them for some reason? :confused_emoji:

Also, a kind of unfair they didn't mention the TRio participating. Do the SM writers just HATE the them for some reason? :confused_emoji:

They seem to alternate between hating them and developing them as characters...

Perhaps the greatest downfall of SM series is inconsistency... it had so much unused potential...

Ugh. This League's going to be a mess. Probably short too.

I never thought they'd stoop so low as to have people who are barely even trainers in a League...
Hell, NO ONE has a full team this saga!

This is even going to be more of a formality than the Kalos League. Even then it had some legit trainers (even if some of them sucked), cool battles, great animation, and Team Flare. Even the Isshu rivals were better trainers than these kids.

The fact they're telling us about it so soon feels like it's going to happen earlier than usual...

Lillie having Magearna fixed + Meltan's full potential not being shown yet means it's not happening anytime soon.

Holy HELL...

But, ok, fine, basically nothing revealed which we didn't guess or that assuages anyone's worst fears.

The lack of mention of the TRio likely means that they'll either be absent or first round cannon fodder for a higher seed like Gladio or Ilima. Soooo... not to be fatalistic or anything... but the only potentially interesting aspect* that was teased is likely a dud.

*Bias acknowledged.

I'm a positive guy. I don't like to "paint demons on the walls" (a Finnish proverb that roughly means assuming the worst possible scenario) before I see the League itself. I think it could turn out to be very entertaining. I'm also looking forward to Lillie using Magearna (maybe she'll even catch it?) and Brionne and Meltan evolving (because I think that's what they're hinting at with it).

Other than the lack of Ultra Guardian ride pokemon, this is exactly how I was expecting this to be. I also like how they intentionally spoiled everything that's gonna happen. Weirdest part is Kukui being the host. How's he gonna battle now?

Last edited by a moderator:
What's interesting is the fact that they've released this info now, meaning that League is gonna be soon i.e. no later than XY's League (commenced June 30th), potentially as early as June 9th. Considering the SwoSh games aren't coming out till Nov/Dec, this means we're either getting a horribly long & drawn out League or else a post-League arc of some sort.

Or an absurdly long hiatus but hopefully the execs aren't that idiotic.

(Again, tbh, nothing we hadn't already assumed.)

What's interesting is the fact that they've released this info now, meaning that League is gonna be soon i.e. no later than XY's League (commenced June 30th), potentially as early as June 9th. Considering the SwoSh games aren't coming out till Nov/Dec, this means we're either getting a horribly long & drawn out League or else a post-League arc of some sort.

Or an absurdly long hiatus but hopefully the execs aren't that idiotic.

(Again, tbh, nothing we hadn't already assumed.)

It's not happening anytime soon. Again, it says that Lillie will have Magearna fixed and use it. That means it's still quite a while away.

I am actually mostly annoyed by the fact that the writers have pulled another Charmeleon with Lana's Brionne. Was it really necessary to keep Popplio that long and give literally no time to warm up with Brionne in the end? I still fail to see it as a member of main cast, it is still Popplio in my mind. And it's not like we didn't have time for it while we have countless filler episodes...

Like I've said before, a game coming out every year has messed with the pacing.

USUM came out in 2017, forcing Rockruff to evolve to Dusk Lycanroc, and the Aether arc to happen and conclude much sooner than it should have.

Then LGPE came out in 2018, so the Necrozma arc to happen and conclude, and then the next 11 episodes after it were all LGPE advertisements.

Now we've got Sword & Shield releasing this year, so they're using the time they have left to get everyone prepared for the League, since they didn't have time before.

It's not happening anytime soon. Again, it says that Lillie will have Magearna fixed and use it. That means it's still quite a while away.

How? They don't need a multi-episode arc to fix Magearna. It'll only take an episode. Shoot, she may get fixed in the upcoming Z-Move training episode.

Least we forget, SM can make a lot happen in an episode. Charjabug and Popplio evolved in the same episode, with Lana getting a Premium-Z. Watch them cram months worth of development and growth in the next few episodes (like they should've been doing, ya know, the last 2 years)...

It is not like the producers/writers are unaware of whatever is about to come.

They are aware, but it often forces them to change whatever their plans originally were. See BW being thrown off course because of BW2 (the Rocket vs Plasma episodes were delayed because of the earthquake, but BW2 was the reason they were cancelled outright, and they also changed Ash's final gym challenge from Drayden like they originally planned, to Roxie).

Had it not been for USUM, the Aether Arc wouldn't have happened so early and would be happening right about now instead.

How? They don't need a multi-episode arc to fix Magearna. It'll only take an episode. Shoot, she may get fixed in the upcoming Z-Move training episode.

Least we forget, SM can make a lot happen in an episode. Charjabug and Popplio evolved in the same episode, with Lana getting a Premium-Z. Watch them cram months worth of development and growth in the next few episodes (like they should've been doing, ya know, the last 2 years)...

They DO need a multi-episode arc to fix Magearna because it's a major plot point that's part of a story arc.

They DO need a multi-episode arc to fix Magearna because it's a major plot point that's part of a story arc.

Considering that most of SM's story arcs tend to be shorter then they should be and the fact that most of the non-island challenge related ones/game story adaptation ones end in about 2 episodes, I predicted that the supposed Magearna arc (which could be just an episode for all we know) will be nothing more than a 2-parter at best. And if my prediction is true, then those 2 episodes could realistically happen before a mid-late June/early July League arc.

Since they're already talking about the Alola League and its participates, I imagine that it will happen in the not too distant future. I'm still not really thrilled with all of Ash's classmates taking part and giving them all Z-Moves seems like a cheap way to justify putting them in the Alola League too.

Yeah, the UG Pokemon doesn't seem to be participating. Maybe it's for the best, as ironically the main Pokémon of most classmates need more battles.

Watching Shaymin battle could actually be fun.

I'm not too keen on Ash vs Kiawe being almost confirmed. I don't really feel there's enough tension between Ash and Kiawe, and we've seen Turtonator and Marowak's moves many times already. But I guess a Pikachu vs Charizard climax could be cool.

Ugh, Ilima. I don't like the guy.

The way I like to see this, is that, this is more of an introductory thing. They are letting anyone join so that they can experience it. Then they will put the requirement of doing the Island Challenge.

The way I like to see this, is that, this is more of an introductory thing. They are letting anyone join so that they can experience it. Then they will put the requirement of doing the Island Challenge.

That still seems like strange logic to me. Allowing everyone to be in the Alola League so that they can experience it without setting up any requirement just makes it seem kind of hallow. They can all technically say that they were in the first official Alola League for bragging rights, but would that really mean anything when they didn't have to work towards getting into the League or actually battle frequently throughout the series? Characters like Lillie, Mallow and Sopholces aren't going to be any more impressive just because they'll be able to use Z-Moves. I don't even think that Lana is that much more impressive by comparison.

That still seems like strange logic to me. Allowing everyone to be in the Alola League so that they can experience it without setting up any requirement just makes it seem kind of hallow. They can all technically say that they were in the first official Alola League for bragging rights, but would that really mean anything when they didn't have to work towards getting into the League or actually battle frequently throughout the series? Characters like Lillie, Mallow and Sopholces aren't going to be any more impressive just because they'll be able to use Z-Moves. I don't even think that Lana is that much more impressive by comparison.
Perhaps you're right.

Please note: The thread is from 5 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom