• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Alola League Information

You know, you are right. We won't see the second one. Once Ash leaves, there's literally no going back for him. After all, the anime is just a commercial for the games.

Lillie will likely make a reappearance in Galar, but yes, we'll be done with the Alola region.

Lillie will likely make a reappearance in Galar, but yes, we'll be done with the Alola region.

I don't know about Lillie showing up in Galar. I wouldn't rule it out entirely, but considering that Serena probably won't show up in Alola at this point and I think she was more popular than SM Lillie at least, I don't think that makes Lillie likely to appear in the next series. I'm not even sure if she's the most popular girl in the SM cast at this point considering how much focus and screentime Lana has been getting lately.

Impossible because he exists in the games.

I don't think that makes it impossible for Gladion to win. It seems unlikely given how they tend to have anime only characters winning a League, but since this seems to be more along the lines of a Club Battle tournament than a traditional Pokemon League, I don't know if there would be a hassle with having a video game character winning the Alola League here. I don't think it's going to happen myself, although I wouldn't be against Gladion winning the Alola League, but I just wouldn't brush it off as impossible for this reason.

Ever league since the Sinnoh League has been complete trash, so if it turns out bad, well, it won't be unique in that regard.

I wouldn't call the Sinnoh or Kalos Leagues completely trash. There were some terrific battles during the Sinnoh League. While the Kalos League was too rushed for my tastes even before the controversial conclusion, I don't think it was a bad League arc. It leaves me feeling more mixed than anything else. Even the Unova League had some good moments, although I do agree it was a pretty bad League arc as a whole.

Regardless, I don't think that other Leagues being bad really negates this one being potentially bad. It may end up being bad for different reasons compared to other Leagues, but that would still be a rather moot point. At least most other Leagues had promising potential from the start. The setup for the Alola League doesn't leave me feeling confident about this arc or how they'll handle the battles.

But I guess a Pikachu vs Charizard climax could be cool.
I'm not sure I want that since Pikachu and Charizard have battled way too many times together on screen for me to care at this point.

You’re still relying on patterns which could be a coincidence for all we know.

Nope, Kalos league was trash too. Ash used no reserves, it was rushed and the battles were all flash without any substance
Not using reserves doesn't automatically mean it's bad. Ash's Kalos team was possibly his best team yet, so reserves were not necessary.

Without any substance? I couldn't disagree more. Ash's rivalries with Sawyer and Alain had been built up excellently beforehand. Rushed? Maybe a little, but not too much to take away the enjoyment.

Nope, Kalos league was trash too. Ash used no reserves, it was rushed and the battles were all flash without any substance

I don't think Ash not using any reserves was that bad. It would have provided some variety, but considering that he clearly wanted to battle with his Kalos team, I think it made sense. Not to mention he doesn't use his reserves in every League anyway. I agree that it was rushed, but I don't think that all of the battles were all flash with no substance. Ash vs. Sawyer had substance to it due to their previous battles and especially how losing to Sawyer before affected Ash so much. I do think that having two double knockouts in a row prevents the match from being the best on in the Kalos League, but I still think that it's a pretty good battle all things considered.

I've had this one theory for a while, which this new info about Sophocles and Mallow getting Z-Rings kinda supports: that the Trial Captain system is established at the end of this series, possibly making the island challenge a proper part of the Pokémon League, like it is in the games.

I've had this one theory for a while, which this new info about Sophocles and Mallow getting Z-Rings kinda supports: that the Trial Captain system is established at the end of this series, possibly making the island challenge a proper part of the Pokémon League, like it is in the games.

That does sound like a good idea, having them become trial captains as they reinvent the island challenge

I hope not. That would be stupid to change the rules of a traditional trial that reaches ages past. That would be an even worser last minute change than Serena's deciding to be pokemon coordinator or Brock deciding to be a pokemon doctor.

Last edited by a moderator:

I don't think that would be a good thing. Like everything about this Pokemon League, it would feel a bit backwards to establish a connection between the Island Challenge and the Alola League after the fact. Something like that should be the case for the first Alola League, not for the second. It would feel more like a proper Pokemon League and combining their old and new traditions together would be pretty fitting to do for the first Alola League, not something for the second attempt it at after everyone can experience a League tournament for the fun of it. Plus, after how the Island Challenge has been treated as such an afterthought and they pretty much skipped quite a few Trials in favor of moving towards the Grand Trials, suddenly including Trial Captains out of nowhere would feel pretty forced.

A part of me wouldn't be surprised if that did happen. It would give all of Ash's classmates something to do while he goes off to Galar, but I don't think it would be a good idea.

I hope not. That would be stupid to change the rules of a traditional trial that reaches ages past. That would be an even worser last minute change than Serena's deciding to be pokemon coordinator or Brock deciding to be a pokemon doctor.

I'm not sure how Brock becoming a Pokemon Doctor is bad. He spent a lot of time taking care of injured Pokemon, especially during DP, and it gave Brock a goal with a bit more structure compared to the vagueness of becoming the world's best Pokemon Breeder. Serena wasn't really becoming a Pokemon Coordinator so much as just using Contests as a part of her Performance journey. I agree that it is really bad for quite a few reasons, but it isn't really a last minute change for her goal when she still wants to be Kalos Queen.

I can't say I agree. If I am not mistaken, the first two Kahunas acted as trial captains pretty much, and Acerola sort of served her role. The tradition hasn't exactly been "go find those Totems with zero instructions", so why not have proper captains? We all know that they don't already exist solely because half of them were picked for the main cast.

The games have it worse where 1-2 Kahunas join the Elite Four, without any explanation regarding their Kahunas roles.

Eh, I don't see why not. Up till now, the game rivals weren't able to win because they all had valid reasons.

Gary: Ash beat him so no win
No game rival in Hoenn
Barry: Paul was established as Ash's main rival, so no win
Bianca: Even in the games, her goal wasn't to be a powerful trainer. And in the anime, she was more of a light-hearted, comical character.
Trevor/Tierno: They weren't really league-focused, and the rivalry they had with Ash wasn't as strong.

From what I've been hearing, it seems like good timing for a friendly face to win the league.

Please note: The thread is from 5 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom