• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Official Pokémon Sword and Shield speculation thread (Updated June 5th, 2019)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think what was lacking for X and Y was the return of old characters in something similar to the PWT or Battle Tree, the closest we got was Looker.

Masuda did state recently that since the Switch is a powerful console, and knowing how limited the post-games were on the 3DS games in Gen 6 and 7, they are going to expand the possibilities after you defeat the Champion. So we could perhaps have things more than just returning old characters (which I hope).

IF you believe Masuda, the reasoning for this cut is all the work it takes to convert the 3DS models to be a suitable standard for the Switch.
That being said all 151 + Meltan and Melmetal are already upgraded to Switch models, so there would literally be no reason to not include them, as the work is already done, they can't justify that exclusion.

Do think we could use a break from Gen 1 now though.

I love the Wild Area but I just find it weird pokemon like Machop, Wobbuffet appear in that landscape. It would be cool if they add some dynamics like Pyroar chasing Stantler, Mandibuzz chasing Cubone, even Zangoose and Seviper attacking each other there to make it feel more lively.

They could make a chunk of the Kanto Pokemon exclusive to Max Raids, and then hopefully people wouldn't complain too much.

It would be cool if they add some dynamics like Pyroar chasing Stantler, Mandibuzz chasing Cubone, even Zangoose and Seviper attacking each other there to make it feel more lively.
That sounds too lively. It won't happen anyway, but I wouldn't want to take a stroll and end up worrying if a Pokemon is about to get slaughtered.

I love the Wild Area but I just find it weird pokemon like Machop, Wobbuffet appear in that landscape. It would be cool if they add some dynamics like Pyroar chasing Stantler, Mandibuzz chasing Cubone, even Zangoose and Seviper attacking each other there to make it feel more lively.

Pokémon interaction between different ones in the Wild Area would be quite immersive, but I don’t think we’re at that pint yet, expecially considering how Pokémon pops out of nowhere.

Masuda did state recently that since the Switch is a powerful console, and knowing how limited the post-games were on the 3DS games in Gen 6 and 7, they are going to expand the possibilities after you defeat the Champion. So we could perhaps have things more than just returning old characters (which I hope).
I'm pretty sure that you're thinking of what he said about the visuals, which is one excuse for the removed content (Pokemon). Here is what Ohmori said about the post-game:

What do you envision the end game and single player post-game content is going to be like in terms of what people can do after they beat the campaign? A lot of people want to play a little bit longer, so what do you plan to do? Are you looking at additional updates or anything like that?
I can't really say too much today, of course, but I do want to say it's not just the story, and then you're done with the game. We've got a lot of content for players to enjoy after they finish the story. Also, for players who are really big fans of the battle system and the competitive scene, there's going to be a lot for them to engage with.
That sounds pretty par for the course. They'd never say "eh, the post-game might be worse than expected." Plus, the 3DS didn't limit them in that regard.

or they have a bigger plan in storage for us and hidden surprises?

They created us a big 3D world with better graphics, be happy. Hope from now on they will use gen 6, 7 and 8 as models and stop creating to many new models of the same pokemon again and start doing the rest of the gang and completly new ones in future... Poor pokemon creators only critisized, if we all would praise them more and GF then maybe they would hear fanwishes more...

I think they did a great job, only needs adjustments in future games.

Poor pokemon creators only critisized, if we all would praise them more and GF then maybe they would hear fanwishes more...

I think they did a great job, only needs adjustments in future games.
Credit where credit is due, criticism where criticism is due. If you don't speak up about things being bad, you can't necessarily expect anyone to know you find it bad.

Blind praise is really not the right course of action and tbh, and I found that this thread was mostly civil (besides one touchy topic) and pretty neutral, if not biased towards the positive side.

Whether or not they did a great job, I'll judge when I get to play the game. :p
The burger in McDonald's ads also tends to look pretty good and promising, but the real thing is....well, simply not as good.

Credit where credit is due, criticism where criticism is due. If you don't speak up about things being bad, you can't necessarily expect anyone to know you find it bad.

Blind praise is really not the right course of action and tbh, and I found that this thread was mostly civil (besides one touchy topic) and pretty neutral, if not biased towards the positive side.

Whether or not they did a great job, I'll judge when I get to play the game. :p
The burger in McDonald's ads also tends to look pretty good and promising, but the real thing is....well, simply not as good.

yes but if you put a positive critic into the negativ then the one will know that you like what they do but want a change...
You cannot thing that they will be open to changes before the sales if they are attacked with so brutal and primitiv language... This arent burgers... and it's not McDonalds here... it's more complex then that, its coding and making games that are alredy beeing printed on cache and overwriting them would cost much money probably.

IF you believe Masuda, the reasoning for this cut is all the work it takes to convert the 3DS models to be a suitable standard for the Switch.
That being said all 151 + Meltan and Melmetal are already upgraded to Switch models, so there would literally be no reason to not include them, as the work is already done, they can't justify that exclusion.

Do think we could use a break from Gen 1 now though.
In the treehouse video, someone asks if all Pokémon from Lgpe can be brought over to Sword and Shield, in response they say only the Pokémon present in Galar Dex. That makes me think not all Kanto Pokémon will be there.

70 Legendary Pokemon (including Arcanine)

I'm sure they'll be able to slip some in. Remains to be seen though.

I can actually see Dragon-type legendaries making it in, Zekrom has traits of European dragons in his design.

The only Dragon-type legendaries I can't see making it in due to potential remakes would be Dialga, Palkia, and Giratina.

Last edited:
You know, I was bored and tried to think of an in universe justification for dex limits, and I realized that a. You usually don't see every animal in the world in real life (heck, you usually don't see even 9/10ths as many animals as you would see in a Pokemon game) and b. It's really hard to get an animal into another country.

Game Freak may regret having made that many Pokémon, but it's entirely on them. I don't know what should be the solution since once a Pokémon is released, it can't be undone.

What if... After becoming Champion, we have a system that is similar to Sun and Moon where you try and defend your title. Not just from the characters that you meet in Galar, but also from the old characters from past Regions that may wand to usurp you.

What if... After becoming Champion, we have a system that is similar to Sun and Moon where you try and defend your title. Not just from the characters that you meet in Galar, but also from the old characters from past Regions that may wand to usurp you.
Wallace wants revenge for being retconned out of ever being Champion in ORAS.

You know, I was bored and tried to think of an in universe justification for dex limits, and I realized that a. You usually don't see every animal in the world in real life (heck, you usually don't see even 9/10ths as many animals as you would see in a Pokemon game) and b. It's really hard to get an animal into another country.
A more correct situation would be almost every country allowing every (pet) animal to enter, but PokéBritain refusing for some reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom