• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Official Pokémon Sword and Shield speculation thread (Updated June 5th, 2019)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I might be wrong, but I don’t think Wingull and Vanillite lines are popular. And Wingull wasn’t designed by Turner either.

We also have too look at the mons that are not so popular in the fanbase, but Gamefreak really likes, which clearly is the case for Wingull and the Snorunt line (Especially Glalie), considering they have been in every game since XY (Wingull) or ORAS (Snorunt). Another thing however is, that they kinda have too include the majority of Alola mons (Recent gen) and the majority of Kalos (Neighboor region) as well, even if those mons aren't so popular (Bergmite line).

We also have too look at the mons that are not so popular in the fanbase, but Gamefreak really likes, which clearly is the case for Wingull and the Snorunt line (Especially Glalie), considering they have been in every game since XY (Wingull) or ORAS (Snorunt).
Yep, it’s a bit more complex then a simple random popularity list.

If you've take at look a my list, I goes with the logic to include pokemon that are highly promote right now, also the one that was in detective pikachu,and the one they can't get rid off in the anime.

If you've take at look a my list, I goes with the logic to include pokemon that are highly promote right now, also the one that was in detective pikachu,and the one they can't get rid off in the anime.

Problem is that they can get rid of certain mons, despite the anime (Phanpy hasn't been included in a regional dex since D/P, not counting remakes), despite Ash owning Donphan.

We just had LGPE. An entire game dedicated to Kanto. So seriously, less Kanto would be great. They created all those pokemon over 20 years and it would be disappointing if they decided to favor the 151 and shaft the other generations into a corner even in a situation when a good portion of the pokemon list is cut. I mentioned this before, but excluding the new Galar mon (which should be the majority), the rest of the dex should be split equally between the remaining 7 generations. The Kanto favoritism has gone on for far too long.

From Serebii:

"With thanks to Japanese Nintendo for the tip, The Pokémon Company have set out their plans for World Hobby Fair Summer '19, which takes place in Chiba, Japan on June 29th and 30th. Within their presence at the World Hobby Fair, there will be special promotions for the upcoming movie, Mewtwo Strikes Back EVOLUTION, some content with the hosts of the variety show Pokénchi and it also states that they will show off the latest information for Pokémon Sword & Shield. At present this is unclear if this will be brand new information or repeated information but should any new information come from World Hobby Fair, we'll post it the second we have it so be sure to keep checking back"

Braviary (USA national animal and as such doesn't fit in any non-USA based region)
So do you mean to say that Braviary doesn’t make sense in any non-USA region? That’s a bit silly since they, as birds, could exist in other climates too. They’re not driven by "UNOVA! UNOVA!" chants or a strong sense of patriotism.

So do you mean to say that Braviary doesn’t make sense in any non-USA region? That’s a bit silly since they, as birds, could exist in other climates too. They’re not driven by "UNOVA! UNOVA!" chants or a strong sense of patriotism.

I know its a bird and i am not looking at the climate right now, but just taking in mind Gamefreaks mindset that they only include Pokemon in regions that make sense for them. But considering its based on the national animal for the USA, it doesn't make much sense too include it in a region that is not based on the USA or is a neighbor for them, since that basically defeats the: We only look at Pokemon that makes sense argument.

But even so, Gamefreak can only have that mindset for 2 regions, since technically every Cat, Dog, Sheep, Cow and Horse Pokemon fits in every region, with Seagulls and Swans fitting in almost every region, so you need to put those Pokemon in every dex in order for the mindset to work.

If we want to go really technical, Drednaw being introduce in Galar also doesn't make sense, since Europe doesn't have Snapping Turtles, meaning Gamefreak already dropped the ball there, taking in mind their mindset.

Last edited:
Do you know where in the e3 demo ludicolo was, because I don't remember seeing it. Also, hasn't ludicolos animation always been hopping up and down since x and y?

Edit: just found it. Ludicolo's animation is the same as in x and y

Ah, ok. I didn't know that Ludicolo was like that in XY as well. :'/ Never mind.

I think I cracked it. The secret of dynamaxing. I think it was either yesterday or the day before I was talking about this with someone yesterday, but from what we see now a pokemon's stats increase by 1 stack in everything. But there's still the question of the "Dynamax Level". And if I'm right, I think you can level up a pokemon's dynamax form which in turn increases it's stat boosts. So lvl 1 is 1 stack boosts, lvl 2 would be 2 stacks, so like an instant geomancy. This can continue till you reach 6 stacks, hence why it's called Dyna"Maxing" you're literally maxing out your pokemon.

I think I cracked it.The secret of dynamaxing. I think it was either yesterday or the day before, but from what we see now a pokemon's stats increase by 1 stack in everything. But there's still the question of the "Dynamax Level". And if I'm right, I think you can level up a pokemon's dynamax form which in turn increases it's stat boosts. So lvl 1 is 1 stack boosts, lvl 2 would be 2 stacks, so like an instant geomancy. This can continue till you reach 6 stacks, hence why it's called Dyna"Maxing" you're literally maxing out your pokemon.
I bet you're right, in that a Pokemon's Dynamax form will probably get stronger as it levels up- do you think levelling up Dynamax level will happen automatically as your Pokemon levels up, or would it make more sense for it to be a different stat that is raised through some other method? I'm definitely curious as to how that will work- I almost forgot we saw that Dynamax level bar, it gives me hope that the mechanic will be a little more nuanced and less simple than I was worried it would be.

Problem is that they can get rid of certain mons, despite the anime (Phanpy hasn't been included in a regional dex since D/P, not counting remakes), despite Ash owning Donphan.

Well,I was not talking about phanpy ,more about Meowth,Wobbuffet,Mr.Mime,etc.Maybe even the actual team rocket pokemon in Alola like Mareanie and Mimikyu.Amnd all the pokemon who gets a significant role in detective pikachu,like snubull,Ditto,Mewtwo,Psyduck,etc.

there will be special promotions for the upcoming movie, Mewtwo Strikes Back EVOLUTION, some content with the hosts of the variety show Pokénchi and it also states that they will show off the latest information for Pokémon Sword & Shield.
If these things are related, then I can only think of two possibilities:
  1. The manga was misleading and Donhpan has been replaced by a Galar Pokemon.
  2. Armored Mewtwo is in the games, after all.

But considering its based on the national animal for the USA, it doesn't make much sense too include it in a region that is not based on the USA or is a neighbor for them, since that basically defeats the: We only look at Pokemon that makes sense argument.
I mean, national animals aren’t the exclusive property of the area they represent. Pokemon isn’t a 1:1 replica of the real world universe, and they’d have to expand distribution in the Switch games as much as possible if regional Dex exclusion is the policy going forward.

And I'd not take any of their reasonings for excluding Pokémon so far at face value since all of them right now have got major holes in them.

An old parody based on one old Simpsons episode.

GF: So, what do you think of Sword and Shield. Any questions?
Fans: Yes, can we please have Pokemon that follow you?
GF: We don't do Pokemon that follow you.
Fans: Why not?
GF: Because players don't WANT Pokemon that follow you.
Fans: Alright then, how about new Megas? Or have all our Pokemon in the games from Home?
GF: We don't do new Megas. Nor have some pokemon transferred that aren't in the Galar Pokedex.
Game Reporter: Why ever not?
GF: Because players would rather prefer more balance in battle mechanics than Megas. That's why we're introducing Dynamaxing.
Game Reporter: Fans, can you kindly tell these nice gentlemen what you're a fan of?
Fans: Pokemon
Game Reporter: DO YOU HEAR THAT, YOU MORONS!!! THIS IS THE WHOLE REASON WHY POKEMON SUCKS NOW!!! Instead of ASKING the fans of what they want, you're TELLING them of what they want!
GF: Sure we did. We made you a Pokemon Switch game, and you hate it. Thus stands to reason of why Pokemon games are SUPPOSED to be handhold, first and foremost!!! Now if you excuse us, we have some Mobile apps and Town to work on.
Fans: You're lazy.
GF: We're not lazy. You are. Find a better hobby.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom