• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Leak Repository Thread (WARNING: Huge spoilers!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don’t have thorough knowledge in the animation department so correct me if I’m wrong, but wouldn’t they be just using a single 3D Galarian Ponyta model and using it throughout the stream? Unless they specifically created a 3D model without a tail, I doubt how'd it be possible to "forget" to put in a tail in the actual stream.

If all Ponyta are supposed to have tails, then they’d need only one model with a tail which they can copy-paste for the second Ponyta in that scene, so I can’t understand why'd they bother to make two Ponyta models with one having a blatant error too.
That's correct. The animators aren't animating them piece by piece or anything, and removing a part from one of the models would be more effort than leaving them be, so it makes no sense for the missing tail to be an "error" or anything like that. Not to mention that'd be a hell of an error for what's basically a big pre-rendered commercial that I can't imagine everyone involved would just let through without noticing.

The missing tail is definitely a gender difference or some other "form difference". Maybe they're giving them big gender differences because they're also making Galarian Litleo and Pyroar to go along with them, since unicorns and lions are classic British iconography; and them both having major dimorphism would help them look more like counterparts?

For the record, this clip is how I think one of the ponyta managed to lose its tail. The easiest way to cleanly tease only the tail for this part would have been to remove it, or else you'd have that big billowing mane wanting to get in the way. If they animated this part after doing the final animation and borrowed a tail from one of the two ponyta models loaded into the file, it could have wonked up the final animation to result in the tailless version. Considering how long the stream was and how quick each individual clip wound up being, it's not too surprising that it would have been overlooked even if they had done a final check- I didn't even notice it was missing until someone else pointed it out. XD

View: https://www.twitch.tv/pokemon/clip/AbstruseJoyousJellyfishKeepo

Not that I'm an expert animator or anything, I've just dabbled with animation a little in Photoshop and seen how editing a layer slightly for one intended frame can somehow manage to mess up all of the other frames. Files are fickle, I swear.

....also no matter what I do this clip doesn't appear to show on the forum but posts correctly everywhere else. I don't know what's going on but I assume the link still works anyway.

But yeah- that's what I think happened to the ponyta, I'll let it rest now and I guess we'll just see what the case is when they do a proper reveal. Just for the record, firmly not believing that it's a gender difference. If it had been replaced with a shorter tail, sure, but just leaving it off as the only difference makes for an awkward and lame design choice and feels much more like a mistake than intentional.

If they loaded in two copies of the same model, it's possible that one could wind up without a tail, especially considering that there was that segment where all we could see was its tail- if they removed the tail from a model to animate it without the rest of the ponyta showing, then a mistake may have been made where the tail was not returned to its model and so it rendered tail-less in the final version.

All the magic stuff that happens when you load two copies of a thing into a document and play around with one and then forget to put something back. =D
I don’t think they’d have cut a tail from one of the Ponyta that were intended to appear later...

Personally this is how I think it made the most sense to handle things (if it was not a gender difference):
OG Ponyta model with tail > Copy-Paste it for second Ponyta with tail > Copy Paste it a third time and cut away everything except the tail for the tail-only shenanigans.

It doesn’t make much sense to make cuts on a model you'll need later, when you could just get the required tail using a simple copy-paste-cut.

also no matter what I do this clip doesn't appear to show on the forum but posts correctly everywhere else. I don't know what's going on but I assume the link still works anyway.
For the record, the link shows a black screen on the forum, but it displays the correct clip when I open the direct link.

Again, Dark is not literal darkness.

I know that is not all there is to the type - it's literally the Evil type. But you can't deny that there are some elements from literal darkness in there, see the move Night Daze, Black Hole Eclipse, Dark Void etc. Murkrow, Sableye are literally classified as the Darkness Pokémon.

Also the the Dark type seems to embody underhanded techniques and foul play, whitch are even more effective when it is dark.

Watch Galarian Ponyta have Illuminate.

Pretty sure tailless fairytale ponyta was a model error and not a gender difference.

But, if I'm wrong and it is a gender difference... that's one hella feking stupid difference. The design would be hideously imbalanced with that huge ass mane on the head and then nothing in the back on a 'male'.
If it’s a gender difference, I think it will amount to something more after evolution since GameFreak has stopped doing mundane gender differences: they either have drastic changes or even ability changes.
I know that is not all there is to the type - it's literally the Evil type. But you can't deny that there are some elements from literal darkness in there, see the move Night Daze, Black Hole Eclipse, Dark Void etc. Murkrow, Sableye are literally classified as the Darkness Pokémon.

Also the the Dark type seems to embody underhanded techniques and foul play, whitch are even more effective when it is dark.

Watch Galarian Ponyta have Illuminate.
Well, that doesn’t really change the fact that there’s nothing stopping dark moves to function in settings with a lot of lighting, sure literal darkness makes them easier, but they can still be used.

Pretty sure tailless fairytale ponyta was a model error and not a gender difference.

But, if I'm wrong and it is a gender difference... that's one hella feking stupid difference. The design would be hideously imbalanced with that huge ass mane on the head and then nothing in the back on a 'male'.
actually that one ponyta appears lacking a tail without Gender Yes that.

I think we getting a trailer in 35 minutes

That video is silly. The marketing team's job is to encourage people to buy the game. Maybe they aren't doing a very good job, but they have nothing to gain by punishing the fanbase. Come on.

As far as I'm concerned, nothing particularly important has been revealed since June. But I guess that other people feel more positive about the new characters and Pokemon/forms, and don't necessarily mind the Affleck leak.

I think we getting a trailer in 35 minutes
Since when are Sunday trailers a thing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom