• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Preview JN008: Don't Lose, Pochama! The Drift Ice Race in the Sinnoh Region!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Found a new summary for this episode

Satoshi and Goh meet a poachama in the port of Curitiba City. When I returned to the institute, I was contacted by Miss Misaki, a trainer at Pocama, saying she was looking for the whereabouts. Pochama says she has been swimming from the Shin-Oh region. Satoshi and Go go to Shin-Oh to return Pochama to Misaki!

Satoshi and Goh meet a poachama in the port of Curitiba City. When I returned to the institute, I was contacted by Miss Misaki, a trainer at Pocama, saying she was looking for the whereabouts. Pochama says she has been swimming from the Shin-Oh region. Satoshi and Go go to Shin-Oh to return Pochama to Misaki!

This more or less confirms Misaki owns the Piplup as well as the Croagunk, which means the theories of Ash or Gou getting it, can be thrown in the bin. Gou most likely adds Mantyke to his arsenal then (Lol, another Rock and Electric weakness for him). Maybe Gou realized he needs a Fire counter after Scyther got destroyed by Fire Fang, so later he might realize he needs a Rock and Electric counter as well.

They were absent from PM006 which was set in Kanto, surely they could have appeared in that episode without an outlandish excuse. In a show where they can go flying off and still be back the next week, I don’t think the writers are too concerned with realism in that sense. If they want the Rocket trio in an episode, they’ll find a way to get them there.

Now whoever we’re calling them, I think you mean Ash and Pikachu Manga. Red is PM.

They've had plenty of opportunities to return during arcs involving Team Rocket, but the writers decide to create a new member who appears a few times, and is never mentioned again in the next arc. If they don't appear by Generation X (circa 2026), it would be safe to assume they've been retconed out of existence, with only the main trio, Matori, and Giovanni as the permanent members.

We just need to keep our fingers crossed.

Last edited:
I wonder if in future episodes (like WAY in the future) we'll get to see how the past companions are doing? Since it seems like Ash n' Go'll be going back and forth to each region, we may see the others again with or without the two. I hope so anyway.

The fact that we have to rely on Google translated summaries in this day and age. Adamant sweetie I'm so sorry.

I wonder if in future episodes (like WAY in the future) we'll get to see how the past companions are doing? Since it seems like Ash n' Go'll be going back and forth to each region, we may see the others again with or without the two. I hope so anyway.

If they couldn't be bothered to bring Dawn back here despite this episode featuring her home region and a species of Pokemon that was her mascot, what makes you think that the odds of her returning later would be any higher?

This is too early to bring back anybody. Maybe fifty-ish? a hundred-ish? episodes in maybe someone'll make a cameo appearance.

Well! We can speculate and hopefully everything will become true.

If they couldn't be bothered to bring Dawn back here despite this episode featuring her home region and a species of Pokemon that was her mascot, what makes you think that the odds of her returning later would be any higher?

To be fair, the same could have been said about Kasumi and Takeshi in Sun&Moon ("if they couldn't be bothered to bring them back for the Kanto re-telling in M20 why would they come back later?"). Now granted their episodes weren't great, and I think these first batch of episodes are kind of a warning sign of things to come, but I don't think it's entirely impossible. At this point we really can't have any expectations-- yes it would have made sense to have Hikari in this episode with her mascot, and it would also make sense that if she's not here then she wouldn't be back in the future, but this anime is the queen of left field and pulling stuff out of its ass.

Though at this point I'm less concerned with following up on old characters and more concerned with if they're going to start actually world-building in an interesting way. This series is a great opportunity to "unify" all of the past regions in one modern format but it seems like the "all regions" thing is just being wasted.

This is too early to bring back anybody. Maybe fifty-ish? a hundred-ish? episodes in maybe someone'll make a cameo appearance.
And what makes it too early? The protagonists incredibly open-ended goals and series premise of being literally anywhere at any time combined with the episodic nature where one week's adventure hardly relates to the last makes it seem to me like it could be done at literally any time and it wouldn't really make a difference. A normal Pokemon series would be establishing characters, the journey, etc for quite a few episodes, but this series has an incredibly small cast and only has an interest in giving attention to one atrocious character, with little interest in developing anyone else (poor Koharu). We've already reached the filler train, although 009 may establish something for Ash, it isn't likely to be something concrete he's going to work for on a week to week basis. I don't see any reason why they would need to wait if they were going to bring back old characters, especially if it was going to be a part of the series.

Of course, it isn't going to be a part of the series, at this point any appearance by old characters is going to be short, forced, and unappealing, just a quick attention grab and then back to status quo. In that case, it will probably be a while down the line, because they don't need extra attention at the beginning of the series, they will likely throw it in somewhere towards the middle when they hit an attention lull. There is no interest in making a coherent story that involves both old and new characters like people were hoping for. The premise of this series made it seem possible that older characters could be involved in a natural way, but clearly that isn't going to happen, and any appearance will be unnatural and forced (like many in the past have been) just to get attention, without concern over making a good story or a world that makes any sense.

I think at this point I'd forgo all of my favorite characters returning for a lengthy appearance from N where he could rip Go a new one for his behavior. Maybe just have a new Team Plasma with a boss who isn't insane and a slightly more reasonable goal, like freeing Pokemon from those who treat them poorly or have too many to care for and don't give them enough attention.

Google Translate is trash. Here's a real translation:

Dogasu said:
At the Kuchiba City harbor, Satoshi and Gou come across a worn out and emaciated looking Pochama. When they take it back to the laboratory they receive a message from its Trainer, Misaki, saying that she's been looking all over for her Pochama. She also mentions that her Pochama had managed to swim all the way from the Shin'ou Region! Satoshi and Gou set off for the Shin'ou Region to return Pochama back to Misaki!

It’s still wrong to say something is trash.

Whoa I can't believe I never realized that Piplup looked worn out in the preview image because it had swam all the way from Sinnoh - that's quite a distance even for a marine Pokemon. Meanwhile I can't even walk to the corner store to buy some candy without being out of breath...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom