• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokémon Evolution/Capture/Release Thread

Ash has caught Pokémon pretty late in the series before. Torkoal, Snorunt, Gligar, Gible, Noibat, Goomy were all caught after 50th episode of their respective series. I don't think we could safely rule the Ash-option out just because it has been almost 50 episodes so far. Grookey being a starter is really irrelevant.

The main difference however is this: That was a badgequest, so there was room to develop with them, nor are they starters. Torkoal didn't even evolve, Snorunt came before Gym 8 (But still could develop because it was a badgequest, nor did it need to compete with a shillmon or fully evolved mons), Gligar is in the same boat as Snorunt. Goomy came before gym 4, so there was enough room for development. Noibat was a capture wasn't so late compared to Snorunt, however, what made it feel it was late, it was because it was an egg-hatch (Getting an egg after gym 6 is way too late, especially since Noibat needed to compete with the already established Fletchinder/Talonflame and Frogadier/Greninja. For Goomy, that was less off an issue, because it came earlier.

Grookey will have the same problem that it needs to compete with mons. You see it clearly with Galarfetch'd. Because its a first stage mon, it needs to compete with Gengar, Dragonite and Riolu (Who is also of the same type and is treated as the shillmon). Ash having Grookey only hinders Grookey, especially when it comes so late in this series, especially if it comes after Dragonite, Gengar, Lucario and the potential Sirfetch'd (Which i can see happening in February/March of 2021 and i doubt Ash gets another capture before then). Grookey will also fill Ash's sixth slot, basically hindering him as well, since it will be the third fixed slot on his team (Pikachu, Lucario and Grookey), but will also hinder te rest of his team. With Goh not having a full team of six (I can see him only carrying three fixed slots, the three Galar starters), it doesn't hinder his team, since he doesn't have a battling goal anyways.

Last edited:
If Ash doesn't get Grookey (which will be a big disappointment that he doesn't get a single Galar starter), I'm hoping Chloe will get it instead of Goh as with Sobble, it would be wasted on his team

Agreed. Grookey isn't going to stand out more than Cinderace or Lucario, so giving it to Ash would be rather pointless.
It’s pretty clear that they don’t care about any future Pokémon standing out: Galarfetch'd and Gengar wouldn’t have been captured in that case.

———————-

I have a slight hunch that they might be skipping directly to Thwackey since we had some Thwackey merch while none for Grookey.

Go will get it. It may take Sobble’s spot as the shoulder mon if it evolves. I just don’t see why they would wait this long to give it to Ash if he were to get it.

As for Ash’s sixth Pokémon, I wouldn’t be surprised if they just forget about it and start reintroducing some of his reserves.

Frankly, by this point I’ll take anyone but Ash getting Grookey simply by how atrociously the writers have been handling his pokemon. Him getting Grookey will not only cause it to get overshadowed by Pikachu and Lucario but will also shaft Dragonite, Gengar and Galarfetch’d even further because it’s the cute marketeable starter.

I need to see what's going on with their Teams post-MewTwo before I can judge who Grookey would be better off with.

I will admit tho, that I think Ash needs focus a little more on his current Team (besides Lucario) before he makes anymore captures. Gengar and especially G. Farfetch'd need more attention at any rate. (Remind me why did he even catch this thing?)
I feel like the Team would just be even more unbalanced in terms of screen time with Grookey added.

It’s pretty clear that they don’t care about any future Pokémon standing out: Galarfetch'd and Gengar wouldn’t have been captured in that case.

———————-

I have a slight hunch that they might be skipping directly to Thwackey since we had some Thwackey merch while none for Grookey.
I really doubt they'd skip directly to Thwacky since that seems like a bad idea from a marketing standpoint.

Also what Thwacky merchandise are you referring to?
The only thing I've seen is this tiny figure
View: https://twitter.com/pikachu_pcn/status/1311572360290398210?s=19

Last edited:
I really doubt they'd skip directly to Thwacky since that seems like a bad idea from a marketing standpoint.

Also what Thwacky merchandise are you referring to?
The only thing I've seen is this tiny figure
I saw it popping up once or twice on these forums. I know it’s a bad idea, but we’ve seen literally nothing when it comes to Grookey so I’m hoping..

I think it can go any way right now. Most of it depends on what they decide to do with Sobble. I could see anyone: Ash, Go, or Koharu get it with the current information.

I guess my mother from UK is going to try to contact OLM Studios in Japan to explain about the new opening titles, 6th of September and my episodes ideas using international contact from GMail or Iphone.

So far, it seems like everyone will have 2 walking Pokémon.

Ash: Pikachu and Lucario.
Goh: Cinderace and Sobble.
Koharu: Yamper and Eevee.

If Grookey does go to Ash, I wonder how long it’ll take it to evolve. Ash is going to take on tougher and tougher opponents, and I wonder how a stage-one Pokémon from a 3-stage evolutionary line will fair. So far, they haven’t depicted the Galar starters as particularly powerful in their base forms. I feel like if Ash does get Grookey, it’ll evolve relatively quickly. Grookey to Thwackey doesn’t have a particularly big personality difference like Scorbunny to Raboot or Sobble to Drizzile, so they don’t have to worry about that type of repercussion.

If it goes to Goh, I’m guessing it’ll either stay unevolved or evolve just once, and Goh will have one fully evolved starter, one partially evolved starter, and one completely unevolved starter. If it somehow goes to Koharu, I don’t see it evolving, but who knows.

I’m personally leaning towards and hoping for an Alola situation, with 2 fully-evolved starters (Cinderace and Rillaboom) and one unevolved one (Sobble). I’m also leaning towards Ash catching it. Again, they each have 2 walking Pokémon, and I don’t think they’ll want to disrupt that balance. And (unfortunately) Ash doesn’t use all of his Pokémon equally this series, so Grookey probably wouldn’t appear every episode. They’ve been talking about Grookey and reassuring viewers that they will show up, so I’m guessing their next visit to Galar will be when Grookey debuts. By that point, Ash wouldn’t have caught a Pokémon since JN027. Riolu and Farfetch’d evolutions do count as team changes, but they aren’t completely new team members. Of course, Ash could theoretically catch something else from now to Grookey’s debut, which could impact his chances of catching it, but it doesn’t really seem like there’s a capture for Ash in the near future.

Last edited:
So far, it seems like everyone will have 2 walking Pokémon.

Ash: Pikachu and Lucario.
Goh: Cinderace and Sobble.
Koharu: Yamper and Eevee.

If Grookey does go to Ash, I wonder how long it’ll take it to evolve. Ash is going to take on tougher and tougher opponents, and I wonder how a stage-one Pokémon from a 3-stage evolutionary line will fair. So far, they haven’t depicted the Galar starters as particularly powerful in their base forms. I feel like if Ash does get Grookey, it’ll evolve relatively quickly. Grookey to Thwackey doesn’t have a particularly big personality difference like Scorbunny to Raboot or Sobble to Drizzile, so they don’t have to worry about that type of repercussion.

If it goes to Goh, I’m guessing it’ll either stay unevolved or evolve just once, and Goh will have one fully evolved starter, one partially evolved starter, and one completely unevolved starter. If it somehow goes to Koharu, I don’t see it evolving, but who knows.

I’m personally leaning towards and hoping for an Alola situation, with 2 fully-evolved starters (Cinderace and Rillaboom) and one unevolved one (Sobble).
I think that it will be one fully evolved starter and 2 unevolved starters as a callback to the OS.

I'd personally like it if this time the starters were 1 fully evolved/1 middle stage/1 unevolved simply because that's a setup we haven't seen before. Every other instance with the starters in the main cast has been 1 fully evolved, 2 unevolved (Kanto); 1 middle stage, 2 unevolved (Unova); 2 middle stage, 1 unevolved (Johto); 2 fully evolved, 1 middle stage (Hoenn); and 2 fully evolved, 1 unevolved (Sinnoh and Alola). Plus, the setup of 1 fully evolved/1 middle stage/1 unevolved would act as a nice shoutout to Pokemon Trainer's team in Smash, especially if the unevolved starter is Sobble and the middle stage is Thwackey.

Back
Top Bottom