• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Preview JN053: Catch the Legend!? Find the Guardian of Water - Suicune!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cameron and Trip. Both were total noobs and somehow outclassed Ash on separate occasions.

I know people hate more on Cameron than Trip (which they should), but dear God Trip was only a tier less worse. For a so called "rival", the dude pretty much failed in any endeavor in the first round. It'd be like if they tried to convince us Zoey was a threat back in the DP days but she never went past the first round in all of her appearances.

Hmm can we go back to Best Wishes series because I am starting to think Best Wishes was a masterpiece in comparison to this series.

This also just poses the question of how come for the last 20+ years they were able to save legendaries from villains without catching them so why change that now especially considering Go is meant to be Ash's equal in battles.

I am actually indifferent towards Go but right now he is nothing but a writers pet.

Hmm can we go back to Best Wishes series because I am starting to think Best Wishes was a masterpiece in comparison to this series.

This also just poses the question of how come for the last 20+ years they were able to save legendaries from villains without catching them so why change that now especially considering Go is meant to be Ash's equal in battles.

I am actually indifferent towards Go but right now he is nothing but a writers pet.
Just because a situation is the same does not mean the solution will be the same.

I know people hate more on Cameron than Trip (which they should), but dear God Trip was only a tier less worse. For a so called "rival", the dude pretty much failed in any endeavor in the first round. It'd be like if they tried to convince us Zoey was a threat back in the DP days but she never went past the first round in all of her appearances.
I hated how Cilan managed to defeat Trip before Ash did. Even if Trip did beat Cilan later on, it didn't exactly paint a threatening image of him. Plus, with Paul, we learned that he was already an experienced Trainer, so he and Ash were on equal ground in terms of the amount of Leagues participated in. With Trip, we clearly see him as a beginner, and yet, they try to paint him as being more experienced than Ash.

Really?!
B&W was my least favourite series by a landslide. Many things are underdeveloped in this series, but B&W had at least 100+ episodes. Pignite’s trainer, Snivy’s trainer, Palpitoad, Unfezant, Team Plasma, Colress, Ghetsis, many of the series’ rivals like Trip, Burgandy, Ice-Breaker Georgia, majority episodes were fillers, and Team Rocket were all underdeveloped. In fact, even if there was development, it was useless - Scraggy got a fighting-tournament to itself, but we never saw it battle at the Unova League apart for a one second stilt against a Daramuka. On that mention, don’t even get me started on the Unova League, holds two of the worst battles in the anime’s history. Trip v Ash was a bore-fest of wrap holding, whilst Ash v Cameron was beyond awful.
Goh may not be perfect, however there’s a foundation for something interesting. Cilian might be the most boring character, apart from Tracey, since he never went under any development (he was for some reason perfect at anything - Detective, Film-making, cooking, battling, and so on...and his rival was trash).
Journeys still has a long way to go, so this is really unfair to compare it to...B&W...

I hated how Cilan managed to defeat Trip before Ash did. Even if Trip did beat Cilan later on, it didn't exactly paint a threatening image of him. Plus, with Paul, we learned that he was already an experienced Trainer, so he and Ash were on equal ground in terms of the amount of Leagues participated in. With Trip, we clearly see him as a beginner, and yet, they try to paint him as being more experienced than Ash.
Don’t forget how Trip’s grand finale was showing off one Pokemon. We never even seen his final team. For all we knew, he had a Tranquill, Frillish, Vanillite, Lampent and a Conkledurr, and that stupidly written Serperior. How did it go from beating Pikachu as a Snivy, losing to Ash’s Snivy as a Servine, then suddenly one-shotting everything, and somehow losing to Piakchu after one-hit? We never saw Paul’s Electavire lose a battle prior to the league, or Gary’s Blastoise, or Morrisons’ Metang, or Gladion’s Silvally.
What was Trip’s character arc even about? He looked down on Ash, beat Ash badly 5-2, like Paul at Lake Acuity, but without any build-up, or any doubt in Ash afterwards (Ash literally acted in the same way after), then had a random story with Alder which made no sense. He was mad at him for not battling seriously, was that it?

Last edited:
What was Trip’s character arc even about? He looked down on Ash, beat Ash badly 5-2, like Paul at Lake Acuity, but without any build-up, or any doubt in Ash afterwards (Ash literally acted in the same way after), then had a random story with Alder which made no sense. He was mad at him for not battling seriously, was that it?
Actually, Trip had met Alder as a child, and Alder had promised him to stay as a Champion until he could come to challenge him. And then, in the present day, Alder doesn't even remember Trip, because he was just talking encouragingly to a child who admired him. That much makes sense. What doesn't make sense is that this whole thing that had motivated Trip in the first place turning out to be effectively a lie never had any impact on anything afterwards.

Really?!
B&W was my least favourite series by a landslide. Many things are underdeveloped in this series, but B&W had at least 100+ episodes. Pignite’s trainer, Snivy’s trainer, Palpitoad, Unfezant, Team Plasma, Colress, Ghetsis, many of the series’ rivals like Trip, Burgandy, Ice-Breaker Georgia, majority episodes were fillers, and Team Rocket were all underdeveloped. In fact, even if there was development, it was useless - Scraggy got a fighting-tournament to itself, but we never saw it battle at the Unova League apart for a one second stilt against a Daramuka. On that mention, don’t even get me started on the Unova League, holds two of the worst battles in the anime’s history. Trip v Ash was a bore-fest of wrap holding, whilst Ash v Cameron was beyond awful.
Goh may not be perfect, however there’s a foundation for something interesting. Cilian might be the most boring character, apart from Tracey, since he never went under any development (he was for some reason perfect at anything - Detective, Film-making, cooking, battling, and so on...and his rival was trash).
Journeys still has a long way to go, so this is really unfair to compare it to...B&W...
Honestly, as bad if a rep that BW has, I’d honestly take that over what Journeys has given us. At least in BW it actually felt like something was happening over the course of the series (at least until the final stretch). Plus mini arcs like the Don George tournaments were fun additions that gave everyone something to do. We haven’t gotten anything like that in Journeys.

Honestly, as bad if a rep that BW has, I’d honestly take that over what Journeys has given us. At least in BW it actually felt like something was happening over the course of the series (at least until the final stretch). Plus mini arcs like the Don George tournaments were fun additions that gave everyone something to do. We haven’t gotten anything like that in Journeys.
Let's just hope this series ends up getting better like SM.

Ok, I'll bring up a topic.
What do you think about Goh catching Suicune?

If the circumstances are how I envision them to be, I don't really care, so long as this isn't permanent. I actually find this fakeout they're doing kind of funny right now.
If I had a choice for how this episode should end, I would have Goh release Suicune and promise to battle it for real so that he can earn his capture. I would then follow up on this promise at some later date.

Ok, I'll bring up a topic.
What do you think about Goh catching Suicune?
It's not confirmed that he does catch it yet, but if he does, then it will full on make me despise Journeys. Because base on the preview, It would be a capture that leads a joke. And is is full on disrespectful for a legendary capture. Add on to the fact that it's Goh, a character I strongly dislike even more than characters like Tracy, Trip, and Sophaclies.

I don't know, why do you believe it when you didn't see all that? Maybe Gou is playing the poachers in the same way that this preview is playing the audience.

How does that make any sense? There is literally no reason for the poachers to believe it was captured if they didn’t see it happen. For that plan to work, Goh’s Rotom Phone and Suicune would somehow need to know the details of the plan from the beginning, and it looks like Goh only considers throwing the Poké Ball once Ash notices that it’s been weakened, not a pre-conceived plan that has multiple people and Pokémon involved.

Goh is trying to save a Legendary Pokémon’s life and somehow it’s wrong for him to try and rescue it by trying the easiest and most simple way to get it out of the trap?

I highly doubt Goh is going to keep Suicune. If he was going to permanently catch it, they wouldn’t have spoiled it in the preview. It’s clear that this episode is going to teach him that some legendaries like Suicune help the ecosystem, just as how he learned that Diglet and Dugtrio help with soil last episode, and it’ll end in a similar manner, with Goh letting it be where it needs to be for the greater good.

Some people have been waiting for solid development for Goh, but it seems like the second it’s going to happen, they’re throwing fits about it.

How does that make any sense? There is literally no reason for the poachers to believe it was captured if they didn’t see it happen. For that plan to work, Goh’s Rotom Phone and Suicune would somehow need to know the details of the plan from the beginning, and it looks like Goh only considers throwing the Poké Ball once Ash notices that it’s been weakened, not a pre-conceived plan that has multiple people and Pokémon involved.

Goh is trying to save a Legendary Pokémon’s life and somehow it’s wrong for him to try and rescue it by trying the easiest and most simple way to get it out of the trap?

I highly doubt Goh is going to keep Suicune. If he was going to permanently catch it, they wouldn’t have spoiled it in the preview. It’s clear that this episode is going to teach him that some legendaries like Suicune help the ecosystem, just as how he learned that Diglet and Dugtrio help with soil last episode, and it’ll end in a similar manner, with Goh letting it be where it needs to be for the greater good.

Some people have been waiting for solid development for Goh, but it seems like the second it’s going to happen, they’re throwing fits about it.
I don't know how they'll do it, but the fact that he didn't actually throw the ball is just too big a detail to ignore. They put so much effort into animating his throws and curve balls that I don't believe this can be written off a simple editing mistake. This is a preview, they have the ability to rearrange scenes and play them out of context with the express purpose of misleading the audience, and we KNOW they love to do this based on the Sobble debacle. Fool me once, shame on you....Fool me twice, shame on me.

I'd absolutely love some Gou development, but not development that only serves the purpose of making him look like the second coming of Jesus. So Gou CAN catch Legendaries if he wants to, but he is so selfless that he releases them anyway? Give me a break.

It sometimes seem like the writers aren't trying to make Goh equal to Ash but better than him. Think about it, Ash spends a whole episode to bond with a Pokemon before he catches it. Goh just one shots every capture. When one of Ash's Pokemon evolves, it normally feels earned. Can't really say that for both Cinderace's evolution. Ash has experience, Goh has dumb luck.
I think the problem is the writers' flawed concept for Go.
They want him to catch "every Pokemon there is" (we all know that's not possible, but it seems he's at least trying to catch as many as he can get). So, of course they can't spend time on him first trying to befriend and then properly battling every single Pokemon like Ash usually does. However, this not only makes most of his "catches" appear cheap and undeserved but it also turns Pokemon into souvenirs that are forced to spend the rest of therir lives at Sakuragi Park behind walls of glass whether they like it or not, while Go only seems to care about a few of them. That's the total opposite of the original idea of Pokemon and I somethimes wonder why there isn't a bigger outcry among fans.
I for one won't miss Go at all once he's gone.

Last edited:
Can we please stop ignoring the fact that Suicune is clearly injured and in distress and stop acting like he caught a completely fresh and healthy one?
And it's a basic Pokeball. It should take alot more than one Pokeball to catch something that high catch rate. It takes me multiple Ultraballs to catch a legendary. I'll be lucky if I catch it with a great ball and if I use a basic pokeball, i'll never catch it. So Goh catches Suicune with a basic Pokeball like it's a Ratata is poor writing. Doesn't matter how weak it is, it's still poor writing

And it's a basic Pokeball. It should take alot more than one Pokeball to catch something that high catch rate. It takes me multiple Ultraballs to catch a legendary. I'll be lucky if I catch it with a great ball and if I use a basic pokeball, i'll never catch it. So Goh catches Suicune with a basic Pokeball like it's a Ratata is poor writing. Doesn't matter how weak it is, it's still poor writing
Catch rate in the anime is nowhere near the same as catch rate in the games. This has been established since the OS.
It’s also been well-established that if the Pokémon wants to be caught, as presumably Suicune would in this situation, any ball will do the trick.

The fact that they’ve shown him catching Suicune in the preview makes me certain that he’s not going to catch it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom