• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

If You Could Change a Pokémon...

It's so funny how they gave Slow Start to Regigigas especifically so it wouldn't be too op, then go and make Geomancy a thing.
Not to mention Power Construct Zygarde. Or Mega Rayquaza. Or Dracovish. Granted, that last one is only OP because of its signature move, but still.

I mean, I’d say that’s pretty good evidence that Regigigas being overpowered is a secondary concern at best, and that Slow Start is really more of a flavor thing.

Yes, there is consistency and some logic to the fact that all normally-legal Pokémon with a >600 BST (Regigigas, Wishiwashi, Slaking, Megas, and even Ash-Greninja despite it being banned) are saddled with some kind of drawback, but at the end of the day I think they really do just like how Slow Start illustrates part of Regigigas’s characterization.

Mega Rayquaza had no business being that op. How on Earth do you make something so strong it gets banned from Ubers?

Zacian-Crowned asks the same.

That said, I think I would have made Power Construct Zygarde a seperate form that it's standard in. As someone who prefers to use the signature moves as much as possible, it bugs me that it's is Special when you kinda have more use for a physical Zygarde. (Especially since Dogegarde is also a 'solid' form instead of one that happens mid-battle.)

And just like that, I would also change Ash-Greninja. The transformation just works like a Mega now and instead of "Ash-Greninja" the name becomes your own trainer's name-Greninja or "Battle Bond Greninja". With that, it also gets a free ability slot that isn't just "Water Shuriken hit thrice let's go". Whether you want that to be Skill Link or something else, no idea. (Not sure if I want it to stay Protean. That seems a bit very busted on a Pokemon with such stats.)

I would actually change Zygarde's 100% form to also be an out-of-battle form for it as well, more in line with Deoxys and Giratina to be more specific where the player himself can choose whether to change Zygarde 100% form to another form or not. A stat could always be directly nerfed if it becomes too powerful, like it receives so much more HP as cost to its Speed. Moreover, I would add more Speed to the 10% form since its role should be as a fast attacking powerhouse without a lot of the Defenses. 50% form would be a balance between bulky and powerhouse since that's the middle form between the two. The 100% form would instead have higher defenses to have its role as the bulky form of Zygarde.

To be fair, you can still keep regular Regigigas the way it is.

Just give it a new form and tie it back to its 'true power' before it began crafting the other Regis.

In speaking about the Regis, both Regieleki and Regidragon both have the potential for a new form, I don't know why that potential was ignored aside from making them "equal" to the other three. For Regieleki, it could have had a form in which it wasn't bound. For Regidrago, it could have had a form of a complete dragon Pokemon.

I started a draft on Castform like last month and never finished it lmao so:

IMO, part of the problem for Castform is that every form change requires giving up a whole turn and a moveslot. That means Castform either relies on someone else to set up weather, or gives up a turn to set up weather and also reveals what type of attack they'll use, neither of which is a particularly good option.

So, a few choices I could see working:
  • Weather rocks also change Castform's form. You still give up an item slot, and your type is clearly visible to opponents but now you can start with whatever STAB you want, and it kind of plays up the weather element by making its weather-summoning more powerful
  • Castform gets sig moves that change the weather in addition to attacking. It might be a little OP to have a Pokemon that changes weather in addition to essentially having Protean lite, but I think that's a fair tradeoff for how its moveset would be easy to guess when facing it
  • Give it the Burmy treatment, and let it evolve into a Pokemon with a permanent form and type
  • Give the Deerling treatment- you encounter weather form Castform during certain kinds of weather, and it stays in that form permanently

Last edited:
I started a draft on Castform like last month and never finished it lmao so:

IMO, part of the problem for Castform is that every form change requires giving up a whole turn and a moveslot. That means Castform either relies on someone else to set up weather, or gives up a turn to set up weather and also reveals what type of attack they'll use, neither of which is a particularly good option.

So, a few choices I could see working:
  • Weather rocks also change Castform's form. You still give up an item slot, and your type is clearly visible to opponents but now you can start with whatever STAB you want, and
  • Castform gets sig moves that change the weather in addition to attacking. It might be a little OP to have a Pokemon that changes weather in addition to essentially having Protean lite, but I think that's a fair tradeoff for how its moveset would be easy to guess when facing it
  • Give it the Burmy treatment, and let it evolve into a Pokemon with a permanent form and type
  • Give the Deerling treatment- you encounter weather form Castform during certain kinds of weather, and it stays in that form permanently

I think the Rotom treatment could also work. Like, you go to some place (say, the Weather Institute or a Pokémon Lab or whatever) and you can interact with an object that changes it form until you decide to undo it / change again.

I would make Whismur a baby Pokemon
if there were steel type starter pokemon, I would make beldum and Aron starters. you can't go wrong with either, metagross being a more attacking robot, and aggron being one of those more defencive, while still having a meaty attack stat. having one of the highest physical defence stats in the game, aggron's base physical defence is higher than Deoxys def. form. Deoxys def. phy def.: 160, Aggron 180, and when aggron mega evolves, it's physical defence goes from a base 180, to a whopping base 230 Defence in the physical side! aron wouldn't be bad as a baby pokemon either, cus when you look at it, aggron is better than most people think, what does that have to do with metagross you may ask, well mega aggron crushes pseudo legendary status, I think that is why aggron can be mistaken for a pseudo legendary, because of it's mega, and to be honest, I think if it's special def. and speed where a higher base stat for aggron, it would have been hoenn's 3rd pseudo legendary pokemon.

I would change Aurorus stats to take some points from its HP and increase its Special Attack and Defense stats and make it like Tyrantrum but for special-based moves. I would also buff the Refrigerate ability to make it include all of the other non-Ice-Type moves in addition to Norma becoming Ice-Type and receiving a boost to them.

I would also buff the Refrigerate ability to make it include all of the other non-Ice-Type moves in addition to Norma becoming Ice-Type and receiving a boost to them.
Then it wouldn't be able to get Rock-type STAB. Speaking of which, why doesn't it learn Power Gem?

Please note: The thread is from 2 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom