• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Your controversial opinions

Oddly hostile language for describing a work of fiction.
Because it's a work of fiction that costs money to acquire and i have every right to criticize it if i believe they are doing something wrong. And there was nothing hostile about my language, what i said is actually what is happening in recent generations and it's aggravating.

Because why are some getting more than others? And how can some get more popular if they get nothing? It's the same with recent generations, how do they become iconic if the earlier generations, specially the first, constantly have to butt in to remind the newer generations that they should apologize for not being made first?

It's also exhausting to me seeing the same content getting shoved in my face constantly.

If it's at the detriment of other regions, then it is bad and i don't see how anyone can not see it as bad. It's biased and lopsided.

I understand favoritism is frustarting, but I'm sorry, I'm still at my original point from the first post: how do these nods occur at the detriment of other regions? I don't think Charizard having two megas or Pikachu getting a gigantamax form damages the experience of a Pokemon game :wynaut: Especially when almost all the games have such a large pool of 'mons to pick from. And it certainly isn't going to destroy my perception of a region like Kalos or Alola. There are plenty of other factors I'm going to consider for this type of reaction other than references to Gen 1.

Yes, but Greninja got there after tons of promotion in the anime (but was still very deliberately put below Charizard) and being the only Kalos starter to eventually get a mega evolution equivalent.
Greninja was very popular in the games even before Ash had one in the anime. Protean was insane when it first came out.

I understand favoritism is frustarting, but I'm sorry, I'm still at my original point from the first post: how do these nods occur at the detriment of other regions? I don't think Charizard having two megas or Pikachu getting a gigantamax form damages the experience of a Pokemon game :wynaut:
Because it's too much, there should be a more even balance when it comes to the distribution of these things, and not just be biased to a specific generation. It also removes a lot of focus from the new region if the game has to constantly make mention or give more attention to an early generation.

I don't know how else to explain it because i have repeated several times at this point why i don't like this amount of pandering to earlier generations, specially Generation 1. If you still don't understand, i don't know what else to tell you.

It’s a fair perspective to have if you think a game is any less fun because it includes too many nods to gen 1. Personally, I don’t think it has any impact on the quality of a generation. Does it get repetitive and it is pretty blatant sometimes? Yes. Does it detract from the new things that are introduced? No, not really.

Edit: to elaborate a bit further with an example, I don’t see Charizard getting 2 Megas and then suddenly say “ugh I hate Mega Evolution” or “ugh I hate Delphox now”. Is it fairly blatant pandering? Probably. But it isn’t actively harmful to anything else.

Last edited:
Because it's too much, there should be a more even balance when it comes to the distribution of these things, and not just be biased to a specific party. It also removes a lot of focus from the newer regions if the game has to constantly make mention or give more attention to an early generation.

I thought the entire point of a new generation is to give all the focus to it, and not constantly make mention to other regions/regions and not give the majority of the spots for the new battle gimmick to older pokemon.
I get the distribution argument and can 100% understand why so many fans feel that way about those particular references. And how tiring it can get seeing certain Pokemon receive that attention, over and over lol.

However, I'm still failing to see how this comes at the cost of the region. Pretty much every mainline game since Gen II has referenced older generations in some form or fashion, and with the exception of GSC, none of those played a significant role in the story or structure other than a nod. I'm really failing to see how those kinds of inclusions take away from new features of the game.

Greninja was very popular in the games even before Ash had one in the anime. Protean was insane when it first came out.
I think Game Freak was trying to replicate Greninja's success in Cinderace. They're both starter Pokémon that are relatively frail and excel in speed and offense and have a Hidden Ability that changes their type depending on the move they use to allow them to always have STAB. And like Greninja, Cinderace was given to one of the protagonists of the generation's anime series.

Last edited:
It came from the fact that the other Gen 7 games had an absurd amount of Kanto references, Alolan forms were only given to Kanto Pokemon, and the fact that the majority of Alola's Pokedex itself was dominated by Kanto Pokemon. So yes, the argument that there was too much Kanto is completely valid.
Gen 6 was also a Kanto love fest. The Kanto starters get Megas instead of the Kalos ones, for instance.
Besides, it was yet another Kanto remake. Yeah, I get it. The last one was in 2004 for the DS, so it did made sense that they would want to translate the game to an all new audience and a new, way more powerful console 14 years later. But as others said, it just was even more Kanto. And tbh, a lot of people were waiting for Sinnoh remakes instead of the beaten to death Kanto region.

Okay, so I got another unpopular opinion and this one is SURE to rub people the wrong way:

I don't mind the so-called "Kanto pandering". At least they do something new every time. A lot of the XY Megas were really nice, plenty of non-Kanto Pokemon like Blaziken, Manectric, Garchomp, got Megas too, and then even more non-Kanto Pokemon got Megas in ORAS. While there certainly were other references, like Santalune Forest being a clone of Viridian Forest, some of these references are a lot more subtle. The Alolan forms were a little more aggressive with it, containing only Kanto Pokemon, and sure it would've been nice to see other Pokemon get them, but Alola's close proximity and relation to Kanto is more than likely what caused this to happen, so there's an in-game explanation for it. Alola is canonically southeast-ish from Kanto, if you were to make a world map starting with Kanto, Johto, and the Sevii Islands, Alola would be somewhere off to the east of the Sevii Islands. While I would've liked to see non-Kanto Pokemon get Alolan forms, I certainly didn't mind the Pokemon that did, I would normally have never used a Marowak, Sandslash, or Ninetales, but I fell in love with the Alolan forms in particular, and even a Pokemon I did already like a lot, like Raichu, got a badass Alolan form. This problem was more than remedied with Galarian forms, although a good portion of them are still Kanto Pokemon (and this ratio was upped by the DLC, thanks to the legendary birds), a good portion of them also aren't.

And again, you cannot use the Let's Go games against the franchise for Kanto-pandering because a Kanto remake was beyond overdue, the same way Sinnoh is now and Johto is most likely next in line, it's the pattern the franchise follows when remaking games. I vividly remember after ORAS everyone was calling for Sinnoh remakes next, but nobody remembered that we hadn't had a Kanto game since 2004, some people even said the VC games replaced remakes. Lol

And again, you cannot use the Let's Go games against the franchise for Kanto-pandering because a Kanto remake was beyond overdue, the same way Sinnoh is now and Johto is most likely next in line, it's the pattern the franchise follows when remaking games. I vividly remember after ORAS everyone was calling for Sinnoh remakes next, but nobody remembered that we hadn't had a Kanto game since 2004, some people even said the VC games replaced remakes. Lol
I get the feeling that the Let's Go games would maybe get a bit less vitriol on the Kanto-pandering side if at least some post-Gen 1 Pokemon had been included (not counting Meltan/Melmetal), especially since the lack of post-Gen 1 Pokemon was actually one of the chief complaints people had against FRLG that Let's Go not only didn't address, but actually doubled down on: sure, FRLG lacked post-Gen 1 Pokemon during the story mode, but at least the postgame unlocked them, whereas in Let's Go there aren't any Pokemon aside from the original 151 plus Meltan and Melmetal. And I think a lot of fans would have been more than satisfied with only evolutions and pre-evolutions of Gen 1 mons getting in.

I get the feeling that the Let's Go games would maybe get a bit less vitriol on the Kanto-pandering side if at least some post-Gen 1 Pokemon had been included (not counting Meltan/Melmetal), especially since the lack of post-Gen 1 Pokemon was actually one of the chief complaints people had against FRLG that Let's Go not only didn't address, but actually doubled down on: sure, FRLG lacked post-Gen 1 Pokemon during the story mode, but at least the postgame unlocked them, whereas in Let's Go there aren't any Pokemon aside from the original 151 plus Meltan and Melmetal. And I think a lot of fans would have been more than satisfied with only evolutions and pre-evolutions of Gen 1 mons getting in.

I think Let's Go was just a sign of what was to come with SwSh not having every Pokemon in the game anymore. What was really dumb was they had perfectly fine 3D models from Let's Go and then half of those Pokemon weren't even in SwSh. When they said the national dex wouldn't be in the game I thought to myself "surely SwSh will have all the Pokemon from Let's Go, since anyone who got Let's Go will want to transfer their Pokemon to SwSh" but then they didn't do that and I was super confused.

-I actually really like the caves and water routes in the games.
-I've always liked having rewards locked behind the Dex completion (like in FireRed/LeafGreen) and I'd like to see it again.
-Likewise, I loved how you had to see all the Pokemon in the regional Dex to unlock the National Dex in the Sinnoh games.
-The Megas are the only battle gimmick that I care for.
-I've never liked the idea of Eevee needing the Ice/Leaf Stone to evolve into Glaceon/Leafeon and Magneton and Charjabug evolving via the Thunderstone in Generation VIII. The Game Freak should have created more location-based evolutions instead of retconning them.
-Furthermore, the Rotom's Room not existing anywhere in Galar was a really lazy decision.

It’s not just Pokémon, fans of the current Digimon anime get mad at the show for focusing on the main character

To be fair, for Digimon it's the fact that most people that are mad at it are the obes that watched the original which had well fleshed out three dimensional characters and gave everyone their time to shine and earned conclusions to stuff. (Keep in mind, Digimon has always had the protagonist/rival edge out a bit more over the others. Taichi and Yamato getting access to Ultimates, Daisuke and Ken getting access to Imperialdramon, Takato unlocking a Super Ultimate during the Tamers Climax, Takuya and Kouji getting different kind of evolutions. Only Appmon has really had everyone equal but they only have like 5 cast members for the protagonist side. Same goes for Tamers who have a smaller cast and Takato only unlocks his Super Ultimate during the climax through in-universe reasoning for one big ultimate blow and then phases out of it while the other cast members also pull their weight big time.)

Meanwhile, the reboot is a big overreliance on Taichi, who himself, is an incredibely boring and one dimensional character, while the other characters don't do anything of note (Except Takeru and Hikaru who are more plot devices) while also being one dimensional characters. Combine that with all other issues the show has (Magical crest powers without it ever being explained, the plot disappearing for 75 percent of the show, evolutions being a thing that just happen instead of feeling like an earned feat like literally every other show had) and you come to the conclusion that it's not because of the focus on Taichi, it's merely a factor that contributes to the bigger picture.

But naturally, some characters will always have more. Pokémon does it, Digimon does it, Yugioh does, My Hero Academia does it. That's just how it is. Some characters appear more, do more. Characters are never created equal. Would I like my favorites to do more? Hell yeah dude. Do I realize some of my favorites are made for a specific role that doesn't allow them in a position that do that much more? Hell yeah dude. Sometimes I feel people forget about role hierarchy and all other factors involved in shows and character creation over frustrations of a character not their favorite doing something. A side character is never going to do the things a protagonist does. Else he would be... well... the protagonist.

I think the format of Snap game should have been a side quest in the main games. We should be able to truly complete the Pokédex by visiting Pokémon in their environments and taking pictures of them. Until then, we should have only descriptions and some info on the screen without visualising the Pokémon.

I do not mind how the upcoming Sinnoh remakes look. I'm just glad we're finally getting them, after so many years of people anticipating them.

The art style has really grown on me. The overworld, as weird as this might sound, looks good enough to eat! It's as if someone has made a replica of Sinnoh out of icing, for a Pokemon-themed cake - and I mean that in a positive way. It's vibrant and charming.

The only thing I don't like is the shading on the in-battle human character models. I hope they improve this - it only needs some small tweaks.

Here's another Sinnoh remake hot take - I actually wouldn't mind at all if they used the classic DP version of the Sinnoh Dex for the main story. I've mentioned in this thread before that I prefer smaller regional Pokedexes.

I appreciated the added diversity the Platinum Dex provided, but didn't like how all the extra Pokemon were unceremoniously tacked onto the end. I would like to see the Platinum Dex return with an overhauled numbering system, but not in its original form.

Here's another Sinnoh remake hot take - I actually wouldn't mind at all if they used the classic DP version of the Sinnoh Dex for the main story. I've mentioned in this thread before that I prefer smaller regional Pokedexes.
The problem was never that it was small, it's the fact that the type distribution was terrible, to the point Gym Leaders like Volkner and Candice having to resort to pokemon that weren't the type they specialize in (seriously, Volkner had an Octillery, which makes no sense).

The problem was never that it was small, it's the fact that the type distribution was terrible, to the point Gym Leaders like Volkner and Candice having to resort to pokemon that weren't the type they specialize in (seriously, Volkner had an Octillery, which makes no sense).

I always thought that giving some characters Pokemon of the "wrong" type was kind of cool, though. It made their teams more balanced, and added an element of surprise to the battles.

Back
Top Bottom