• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Preview JN078: The Targeted Sakuragi Institute!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just look at Goh for instance.

He is allegedly supposed to be socially akward but they immediately dropped that angle and just made a 2nd Ash
Being an anime original character....
I never treated him as such, since those aspects aren't consistent and mostly brought up when the plot calls for them.

That's just contrived writing.

A copy that cannot surpass the original.

He is allegedly supposed to be socially akward but they immediately dropped that angle and just made a 2nd Ash
Allegedly really is the best word here.

He's only socially akward when the plot wants him to be so he ends up getting benefits from that characteristic. So can we even actually call it a flaw if it only helps him instead of being a set back?

Ironically enough, this happened during the Drizzile ep.

You know, I really wonder if the writers really resented the fact Gamefreak gave Sobble and Drizzile fixed personalities?

Both Sobble and Drizzile are pretty anti social and introverted.

The Anime makes it pretty clear that they have no idea how to write Shy, Socially Akward, and Timid Characters. Just look at how Erika, Bianca, and Lana were changed from their Game counterparts

I swear it feels as tho any Shy, Timid, or Socially Akward character from the games got their personalities changed in the Anime.

But because Journeys is so heavily following the Pokedex's entrees they have no choice but to make Sobble and Drizzile close to their game counterparts rather than just changing their whole characters entirely.

Notice how despite not battling, Grookey has shown a lot more activity and interaction with other people/pokemon than Sobble has?

They could have done so, if they would have given Sobble to Ash. They have given him Pokemon like this in the past.

If you look at how the series has progressed, episode 3 Gou (who is probably the most "awkward" Gou we've seen) isn't the same as episode 34 Gou, who isn't the same as episode current Gou. It wasn't all that "inconsistent" and for the most part, when it's brought up, there is sense to it (coming from a "socially awkward" person).

He still is socially awkward. He just got over his awkwardness towards Ash. There was a flashback of him not wanting to play with other kids in the schoolyard, he was tense during a television interview, and so forth.

He still is socially awkward. He just got over his awkwardness towards Ash. There was a flashback of him not wanting to play with other kids in the schoolyard, he was tense during a television interview, and so forth.

This showed in the latest Alola episode as well. Ash interacted with the 2 fans, while Goh was just standing there in the background.

They could have done so, if they would have given Sobble to Ash. They have given him Pokemon like this in the past.
Remember Serena's Eevee?
She was also shy and timid and socially akward.
But you know how she got over that?

Because Eevee benefited from her Trainer having a Goal that could actually help her develop.

Serena was a Performer and Eevee had massive stage fright.

On the other hand a Goal of catching Pokemon doesn't really help Sobble in anyway.
Sobble's Goal of wanting to grow strong and confident doesn't really benefit Goh either besides having another Entry in Pokedex

In fact Sobble's "Arc" of wanting to become an Inteleon so it could gain confidence and grow stronger to battle sounds more befitting to someone else rather than Goh who doesn't battle unless he has to

The anime doesn't have a lot of consistency when it comes to respecting the personality of the characters. It all depends on the writer and the intrigue of the day's . Being a huge fan of James I have noticed that his personality changed several times over the course of the series, sometimes going from one extreme to the other.

James is an ISFP according to the « personality database » website and I agree with that analysis looking at the character development as a whole of the series but sometimes he has a really indescribable personality. In some episodes of XY and Best Wishes he was a drastically different character than the one I love… It’s because of the bad writing and the lack of the lack of dialogue between staff members /writers I think…

In fact Sobble's "Arc" of wanting to become an Inteleon so it could gain confidence and grow stronger to battle sounds more befitting to someone else rather than Goh who doesn't battle unless he has to
And still he has to be pressured into battling, either by others or the situation.
He's more than happy to leave that to Satoshi otherwise.

I agree that Satoshi would have helped Messon more....
That makes the trolling trailer even worse.

No hints of Inteleon or an evolution through the preview, which is interesting. The animation shown in the preview looks kind of meh as well, so I'm hoping it gets really good towards the end with the battle between the lizards.

Animation looks fine to me

Drizzile my baby please don't cry! (5 bucks says that's the moment where he evolves)

On another note I really like that Kecleon Trainer's design! :bulbaLove:

This seems like it'll be a decent enough episode (not counting the near confirmed Inteleon evolution). Welp, I guess we'll be seeing Grookey evolve soon then.

Hmmm...I'm always down for some guest villains...but I'm not sure I'm feeling it...especially if it's one those times he causes some trouble, then turns good...

Ash: Trains his pokemon nearly everyday and his Gengar still jobs

Goh: Does literally no training with his pokemon whatsoever yet his Raboot took out a Flygon, knocked down a freaking Zapdos, and his Drizzile evolves despite literally never actually participating in a battle

I like Goh but what the hell?

I was hoping for Kakuleon to trounce Inteleon...

But alas, it seems that Reality Ensues doesn't ensue for Gou's Pokemon.

That's pampering from the staff.

I was hoping for Kakuleon to trounce Inteleon...

But alas, it seems that Reality Ensues doesn't ensue for Gou's Pokemon.
In this particular case, Kecleon defeating an Inteleon, even if only recently evolved, isn't Reality Ensues, when you think about it.

So Drizzile is definitely evolving here? After only appeing once since it’s last evolution. That’s disappointing - we’ve see Sobble go through two status quo changes and barely saw anything of those changes.

Grookey on the other hand, constantly gets to show personality, interact with its trainer and other Pokémon. Cinderace has been a lot better than Sobble (even thought it’s evolution and issues with Goh were a bit rubbish)

I don’t see how they could’ve messed up Sobble so bad.

Sorry, I forgot to remark again that that Kakuleon actually had been trained, properly.

They rushed Messon's development because they were desperate to have an Inteleon in the main cast.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom