• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokemon Legends: Arceus General Discussion

It isn't the first catching-driven game, nor is it the first game with open fields. The research tasks seem bland and yet are the focus. The Pokemon largely overlap with BDSP's main campaign. No, it isn't innovative enough, or people wouldn't be talking about the next generation so soon.

I think it's way too soon for the final verdict about Legends. We don't really know most of it and we cannot compare it to anything GF has done before. So, let's wait and see.
I just want to point out that this is a big step from sw/sh, where we didn't even have a free camera in most of the game.

I get the feeling that it is going to be way less innovative than it appears and just another baby step for Game Freak... but they're some good, fairly significant baby steps, at least. Hopefully they will carry over into Gen 9.
Guys, calling these baby steps is a bit too harsh.
We can jump, roll, climb mountains, die, catch and battle pokemon seamless, craft items, being attacked by pokemon. Partially new battle system, new (finally) good animations, new pokemon. Free camera all game.
I mean, if these are baby steps all the previous pokemon games are what? Just a copy-paste of red and blue.

Yeah this game is leaps and bounds above baby steps just from what we’ve seen (which is way more than what most people here keep claiming).

A year ago no one would have believed they would make a game where the player gets hurt, battles happen seamlessly, there are fully open areas, you don’t collect badges to be the very best there ever was, etc. And we’re already somehow at a point where multiple people are downplaying all this to be “baby steps”. It’s beyond tiring…

Guys, my perspective is someone who hasn't completed a pokemon game since Gen 2 due to each game feeling highly repetitive to me. I am looking forward to Legends because it does look like a significant enough difference from previous games, but in terms of pokemon being innovative- I suspect that it's going to fall short. It's not like we haven't had forms of crafting before, the map is just the Wild Area extended, battles are basically the same format but with the ability to guaranteed crit or hit multiple times- the game is significantly different enough for me to be excited to play it, but I also recognize that much of what's "new" is just an extension of things we've already had.

But keep in mind that from my perspective, pokemon has barely changed since Red and Blue. My standards for what is a major change may be higher than yours.

And like Daren pointed out- the big question is whether the really new features will carry over into future games.

I'll keep my reservations until release. I need to see how things work, feel and look, first.

Gamefreak has sold tens of millions of copies, numbers of which some companies can only dream of. We damn well should have certain expectations. It's 2022 now; Some franchises have taken big leaps and risks, while GF is basically following a familiar pathway.

I mean, most of what we've seen is indeed new. But for Pokémon, not for a lot of other franchises. They should receive their praises when they're due, but let's not pretend how they're some sort of precious little crowd-funded game-designer. GameFreak is long overdue with certain changes, and still lives inside a coccoon when looking at other recent decisions. Player-agency should be far more important.

They're a big player. We should expect certain standards. Heck, look at the studio that made Horizon: Zero Dawn. Their latest game before that title was Killzone. They basically did a whole 180° and made quite an unique experience after a years-long 'hiatus'.

I'll keep my reservations until release. I need to see how things work, feel and look, first.

Gamefreak has sold tens of millions of copies, numbers of which some companies can only dream of. We damn well should have certain expectations. It's 2022 now; Some franchises have taken big leaps and risks, while GF is basically following a familiar pathway.

I mean, most of what we've seen is indeed new. But for Pokémon, not for a lot of other franchises. They should receive their praises when they're due, but let's not pretend how they're some sort of precious little crowd-funded game-designer. GameFreak is long overdue with certain changes, and still lives inside a coccoon when looking at other recent decisions. Player-agency should be far more important.

They're a big player. We should expect certain standards. Heck, look at the studio that made Horizon: Zero Dawn. Their latest game before that title was Killzone. They basically did a whole 180° and made quite an unique experience after a years-long 'hiatus'.
Well, on the last point, GF more often then not falls short she compared to other ‘big players’.

I’d agree that that they need to get up to standard with the rest of the big developers (expecially from a technical and world building standpoint), although I wouldn’t say the Horizon example is perfectly sound.

While you’re right there they did a complete turnaround from one game to another, I wouldn’t say Guerrilla innovated that much in the gaming stage, as open world games with rpg elements became REALLY popular to made after Skyrim, even more so after GTA (which I wouldn’t say it’s an RPG but lead to even more developers making open world games).

Guerrilla’s innovation was mostly internally in regards of a complete different kind of game made, but I wouldn’t want that for Pokémon, necessarily.

I’d like the additions made in LPA to carry over in Gen 9, possibly with difficulty and gameplay toggles to make the game more challenging, and I’d like a different main, or alternate path in the game then the gym challenge (Gen 7 was supposed to be that but truly wasn’t). I don’t mind the gym challenge being still present, expecially with some difficulty toggles, but I’d like another main quest like that alongside it, on the same level of importance.

Oh, also got to point out that with the Wardens/Nobles, the gym challenge is about as absent as it was in Gen 7.
I mean, on the Wardens’ part, I’m not sure. You might get to face some, it seems, but if they just have one Pokémon, it’s going to feel more like a spar, and not one of the challenges. Expecially given that a Warden has Munchlax as her partner Pokémon.

For the Nobles, it definitely could be, if the ones you face are the gateways to continue the main quest and/or unlocking new areas…although I don’t think this time we’re going to face a just-made League.

There’s also the chance, though, that the whole feel will be different based on how the gameplay is less structured on facing trainers, as there aren’t any, but we can’t be sure until we’ll experience it ourselves. And we don’t even know if the change in this regard (which, to point out, wasn’t strictly necessary. They could’ve make a game set in the past with trainers still present. I do wonder if the decision was based mainly on trying something different setting-wise, or make the development ‘easier’ by not adding that part of Pokémon to a much bigger game, in terms of world scale, then before), will end up good or not, for LPA.

As I said before, I don’t think having a gym challenge or something similar in a game is necessary bad, but I feel like they need to add something alternate and equal alongside it. Or a series if interesting and deep side quests.

Much of what little we've seen so far is at least interesting. The real question is how much if any is going to stick around.
My big stupid conspiracy theory on this is that Let's Go's existence means that GameFreak will follow some sort of pattern like Kanto--->Johto--->Hoenn
--->Kanto --->Sinnoh--->Johto--->Unova--->Kalos--->Hoenn--->(etc.)
when making remakes. That would mean next in line is a Johto game, which while it could be another Let's Go game, I'd say another Legends game is more likely. The reason for this would be that Sinnoh and Johto are by far the Regions that place the most emphasis on lore, myths, legends, and the like, as well as the Sinjoh Ruins' existence being another huge link between the two.

Assuming that what I just typed actually makes any sense to anyone lol

A lot of what I’m reading reminds me of someone saying “well you still just defeat Ganon and save Zelda in BotW so it’s not like much changed “.

If the core concept of a Pokémon game bores you, that’s okay. But dismissing the huge changes advertised in this game because, at its core the Pokémon game concept bores you, then… I don’t get it.

The game does need another trailer, but not about gameplay. I think it should be about starter evolutions (most people will choose the option that was previously their favorite of the 3 anyway but I think it could bring good press to the games) and a side feature like camping, battle facilities or something like that.

I think gameplay will be exactly as it looks, exploring past Sinnoh, catching Pokemon and battling some bosses. The reason people want to know more about it is because they are afraid all the missions will be about catching Wurmple and Bidoofs, but I doubt it, and personally I think the less we know about the missions the more exciting and mysterious the game sounds.

They finally released something! A 6 minute (so far only Japanese) overview trailer!

No new Pokémon reveals but we get to see some we haven’t seen yet such as Purugly and Froslass, more of Jublife Village (with some more people present doing stuff), much more environments and locations including some new ones, how to fight Nobles, more of Hisuian Zoroark and Zorua, Pokémon interacting with the environment and each other (although some of these may be cinematics or cutscenes), and the trainer interacting with their Pokémon, including a one on one with Oshawott

Dang, Garchomp looks terrifying :oops:

Please note: The thread is from 1 year ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom