• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Old Characters in Pocket Monster 2019

Which ones?

• Misty

• Brock

• Tracey

• Gary

• May & Max

• Dawn

• Paul

• Iris

• Cilan

• Trip

• Clemont & Bonnie

• Serena

• Sawyer

• Mallow

• Lana

• Lillie

• Sophocles

• Kiawe

• Hau

• Someone else

Results are only viewable after voting.
While I'm not a fan of Max at all, it is unfortunate that it appears we won't have him, nor May (who may or not may not influence the return of her brother), back in any voiced capacity. If Bonnie can reappear, and more than once at that, then Max deserves to come back too.
I suppose the difference is Bonnie being generally well liked and her and Clemont being an inseparable duo is why they get to return. Like I could never imagine only Clemont appearing without Bonnie, they're basically a set.

I think a bigger question is if Misty or Serena will appear despite not being in the opening. Misty hasn't appeared in a saga situated in Kanto most of the time which is strange given Cerulean City is right next door to Vermilion. And of course Serena is the big question.

Maybe Dawn, Iris and the SM cast really were the only planned female companion returns and people jumped the gun assuming all of them would come back. If we really don't see even Misty by the time this saga ends then I assume they only wanted to bring back a select few characters, Dawn for DP games, Iris for the PWC, and the SM cast because it's difficult to visit Alola without showing them and they were the most recent series

Maybe Dawn, Iris and the SM cast really were the only planned female companion returns and people jumped the gun assuming all of them would come back.
I thought there was an interview where one of the staff mentioned they wanted to bring everyone back but I can't find it and might be misremembering.

May seems to have issues but I suspect they might use Serena for the inevitable Sylveon episode.

I think a bigger question is if Misty or Serena will appear despite not being in the opening. Misty hasn't appeared in a saga situated in Kanto most of the time which is strange given Cerulean City is right next door to Vermilion. And of course Serena is the big question.
Good point. Just another shortcoming of Journeys, made even more glaring that Brock was allowed to reunite (albeit in a contrived fashion) with Ash, Dawn, and meet Go; I'm also still salty that Ash is in Vermilion City and hasn't paid Ambipom a visit.

As much as I'd love for Ash to see Ambipom again, I'd be genuinely surprised if the writers remember that it exists and that it went off to Vermilion City at the end of its departure episode.
I'd bet the ranch the writers have completely forgotten it exists. Which is such a shame, Ambipom did not deserve to become the second Primeape.

That sucks. Hard. Like I think Serena deserves to return but I’m afraid of how they’ll handle her.
The thing that will hang over Serena's potential return is The Kiss, the first time a traveling companion was confirmed to have feelings for him (Ash and Misty always had that friends prone to bickering dynamic, but it was never confirmed they had feelings for each other even with the dub added line from Jirachi Wishmaker muddying the waters) and surprising the anime was able to do it at all. Of course it one upped itself by playing out the relationship, marriage and having a baby together with Professors Kukui and Burnett. If Serena returns in the main anime it'll be either addressing or ignoring the kiss, and given that since Sun and Moon Ash's character design has looked more like a ten year old than he has before, it'll probably be ignoring it if it ever happens.

I doubt Serena is returning now, seems like Lisia owns a Sylveon.

I doubt Serena is returning now, seems like Lisia owns a Sylveon.
That would be rather disappointing. The new episode title is really vague, but Encounters and Reunions made me instantly think of Serena. Running into Wallace would technically be a reunion for Ash, but since he was more connected to Dawn's goal, I don't know why they'd make their reunion a big deal. Granted, the episode airing pretty soon when Serena isn't in the opening theme, unless they change it within the next couple of weeks, doesn't give her the best chances, but it would be disappointing for them to give Lisia a Sylveon instead.

Honestly, at this point, I want Serena to appear just so people can stop claiming that the kiss is some kind of major roadblock for her character. I'm not surprised that it keeps being used as an explanation as to why she hasn't appeared yet or why people think it would be difficult for her to come back. But I still find it annoying and really does a disservice to her character to treat her as just the girl with a crush on Ash.

Since Drasna is using Mega Altaria and the Lisia episode is right after it, it was pretty obvious they wouldn't showcase two Altaria back to back with different trainers. Sylveon feels like a likely pokemon for Lisia to have as a replacement and wrap up Koharu seeing all the Eevee's. Likewise this ep is only 1 episode since there's a TR ep after it, so I don't think they'd rush a Serena return into the same episode Lisia is introduced anyway

Honestly, at this point, I want Serena to appear just so people can stop claiming that the kiss is some kind of major roadblock for her character. I'm not surprised that it keeps being used as an explanation as to why she hasn't appeared yet or why people think it would be difficult for her to come back. But I still find it annoying and really does a disservice to her character to treat her as just the girl with a crush on Ash.
Especially when Jessie and James kissed Ash back in Kanto but nobody says they have to be left out because of it! ;)

Seriously, though. They've been willing to ignore all sorts of things from previous series', not sure why the kiss is seen as a huge deal when the show was fine with stuff like character's designs changing fairly radically.

That would be rather disappointing. The new episode title is really vague, but Encounters and Reunions made me instantly think of Serena. Running into Wallace would technically be a reunion for Ash, but since he was more connected to Dawn's goal, I don't know why they'd make their reunion a big deal. Granted, the episode airing pretty soon when Serena isn't in the opening theme, unless they change it within the next couple of weeks, doesn't give her the best chances, but it would be disappointing for them to give Lisia a Sylveon instead.

We got a short trailer that shows Eevee interacting with Sylveon, and also Chloe and Eevee on what looks like a Contest stage.

Since Drasna is using Mega Altaria and the Lisia episode is right after it, it was pretty obvious they wouldn't showcase two Altaria back to back with different trainers. Sylveon feels like a likely pokemon for Lisia to have as a replacement and wrap up Koharu seeing all the Eevee's. Likewise this ep is only 1 episode since there's a TR ep after it, so I don't think they'd rush a Serena return into the same episode Lisia is introduced anyway
I don't really see the problem of showcasing Altaria with two different trainers. Lisia is more associated with Altaria than Drasna is and she would be using Altaria in a different way given that Lisia would be more into Contest battles. I didn't realize that there was already an episode confirmed to air after this one, but the idea of them rushing a Serena return into the same episode that Lisia is introduced wouldn't be a stretch, if only because how fast paced the series can be.

Lisia still owning a Sylveon wouldn't be unlikely to happen though. If that does happen, I don't think that necessarily means that Serena won't appear at all in Journeys. Her Sylveon meeting with Eevee was one of the easiest ways to setup her appearance, but I don't think it would be the only way she could appear. Even if Journeys is going to wrap up by November, there would still be time for Serena to appear down the road. Chloe already meeting someone else's Sylveon might weaken her chances, but I don't think it would be impossible for Serena to appear later on in the spring or the summer.

I don't really see the problem of showcasing Altaria with two different trainers. Lisia is more associated with Altaria than Drasna is and she would be using Altaria in a different way given that Lisia would be more into Contest battles. I didn't realize that there was already an episode confirmed to air after this one, but the idea of them rushing a Serena return into the same episode that Lisia is introduced wouldn't be a stretch, if only because how fast paced the series can be.

Lisia still owning a Sylveon wouldn't be unlikely to happen though. If that does happen, I don't think that necessarily means that Serena won't appear at all in Journeys. Her Sylveon meeting with Eevee was one of the easiest ways to setup her appearance, but I don't think it would be the only way she could appear. Even if Journeys is going to wrap up by November, there would still be time for Serena to appear down the road. Chloe already meeting someone else's Sylveon might weaken her chances, but I don't think it would be impossible for Serena to appear later on in the spring or the summer.
I could see the Sylveon belonging to Serena, given that she's a Coordinator now and could easily appear in the same episode as Lisia.

If we ever did see an old female companion rival return it would probably be Zoey, but I guess for some reason the writers don't see the female lead rivals as important enough to bring back. Same reason I don't expect to ever see Millefeui, Shauna or any of the BW rivals like Georgia again either.

May's rivals have no chance to appear for obvious reasons and I gather the DP coordinator were much more popular anyway. Zoey or Nando at least have a chance of being referenced if Wallace/Lisia talk about Top coordinators

If we ever did see an old female companion rival return it would probably be Zoey, but I guess for some reason the writers don't see the female lead rivals as important enough to bring back. Same reason I don't expect to ever see Millefeui, Shauna or any of the BW rivals like Georgia again either.

May's rivals have no chance to appear for obvious reasons and I gather the DP coordinator were much more popular anyway. Zoey or Nando at least have a chance of being referenced if Wallace/Lisia talk about Top coordinators
I actually liked May's rivals more than Dawn's, they felt more interesting (except Solidad, she appeared a little too late.) Ursula was just a discount Harley, LOL. (Of course, I don't care for Dawn that much, so I probably find her rivals boring by extension, plus May is my second-favorite Pokegirl, so admittedly I'm a little biased.)

Any particular reason you don't care for Dawn much out of curiosity? Kenny was lame though

Any particular reason you don't care for Dawn much out of curiosity? Kenny was lame though
(If you all find this post is kind of long and ranty, I apologize. :()

(Yes, Kenny was pretty lame. Not to mention him and Conway both hitting on Dawn, what the hell? Also the whole "Dee Dee" thing was......uh......I have no words. :LOL:) I just.....never found Dawn that interesting. Her carrying Piplup around all the time past the first season was annoying, mostly because I do not like starters that don't evolve (Rowlet :mad:) and Piplup's personality was sometimes irritating too. Her overconfidence, especially at the start, was annoying too. I liked May more for taking her time to figure out what she wanted to do with her life (something I deeply connect with, I like Serena for the same reason,) rather than Dawn who just rushed into it, thinking she was going to be great at contests just because her mother was a Top Coordinator, only to lose in the appeals round-twice. (That just shows you were overconfidence gets you.) I also liked how Contests were presented more in AG, when they were simpler. Too much flashiness and dressing up in the Sinnoh Super Contests. And that's another thing about Dawn-waaaay too much of a girly-girl. Like, half the time she was with Ash she was worrying about her appearance more than anything else, her hair, her clothes, her this, her that, etc. Not to mention half her Pokemon team is just cute 'mons. Piplup, Pachirisu, and Buneary. You didn't see May worrying about all that stuff, or Misty, did you? May's only really cute Pokemon were Skitty and Eevee, and Eevee eventually evolved anyway. Plus, was it just me, or did she seem to butt heads with Ash a lot more than he did with May? Maybe that's just me, but it sure seemed that way (that's probably because May was too busy butting heads with her brother........ugggh. Max.......another character I don't like. :cautious:) I know I already said this, but Dawn's rivals were also kinda......meh. Nando was never around past the first season of DP (which was especially apparent because the DP series is long,) Kenny as previously stated I think was lame, again, Ursula was just a less interesting version of Harley, and that pretty much leaves Zoey. Who, I will admit, was not bad. But, I still like Drew and May's dynamic more, especially considering May managed to eventually beat Drew, wheras Dawn never defeated Zoey.

Okay, so I've got a few gripes with Dawn. (I may have even already written a post just like this one, this is starting to feel a little deja vuey.) She's far from perfect, but she wasn't awful. (That honor is reserved for my least-favorite female traveling companion of all, to the surprise of no one, Iris.) To sum it up though, it's not that I found Dawn bad per se, just a more boring version of May, complete with a bird starter that didn't evolve. (Oh, and I'll never forgive her for giving up Ambipom like that and just Primeapeing it. KIDDING. :LOL: I know the writers are to blame for that. It was still stupid though. Togekiss was hardly a replacement. :mad:)

Last edited:
I actually liked May's rivals more than Dawn's, they felt more interesting (except Solidad, she appeared a little too late.) Ursula was just a discount Harley, LOL.

Yes! I didn't really like any of Dawn's rivals all that much. Even Zoey (who was definitely the strongest and most interesting of her rivals) bugged me sometimes. But May's rivals I absolutely loved. I hate that it's unlikely we'll ever see them again because they were just so good.

Literally the main reason I'm not really a Serena fan. It's not even her fault as a character, it's just that so many people reduce her to nothing more than Ash's infatuation and it's so lame. I agree I wanted to see her come back largely to attempt to put a stop to some of that off-putting characterization and to actually see her performing as a coordinator. I'd be really interested in seeing a Serena appearance without any mention or reference to her crush on Ash, honestly.

Literally the main reason I'm not really a Serena fan. It's not even her fault as a character, it's just that so many people reduce her to nothing more than Ash's infatuation and it's so lame. I agree I wanted to see her come back largely to attempt to put a stop to some of that off-putting characterization and to actually see her performing as a coordinator. I'd be really interested in seeing a Serena appearance without any mention or reference to her crush on Ash, honestly.
It is frustrating when people affect how you feel about a character like that. That's happened to me before and it is so upsetting. As much as I'd rather see Dawn get a Contest episode, Serena performing as a Coordinator would be the one good thing to come out of her decision to use Contests as a training journey for Showcases. Serena coming back without any mention or reference of her crush on Ash would be interesting and unexpected, but I imagine that they'd still want to throw a bone to fans of the pairing. I don't really mind that. I'm not sure if there's anything the writers can do to shake off the girl with crush on Ash characterization fans put on Serena sadly. I'd just be happy with people at least stop treating the kiss as this major roadblock that prevents her from coming back.

Please note: The thread is from 1 year ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom