• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Old Characters in Pocket Monster 2019

Which ones?

• Misty

• Brock

• Tracey

• Gary

• May & Max

• Dawn

• Paul

• Iris

• Cilan

• Trip

• Clemont & Bonnie

• Serena

• Sawyer

• Mallow

• Lana

• Lillie

• Sophocles

• Kiawe

• Hau

• Someone else

Results are only viewable after voting.
-I believe the producers don't agree with you, as they later did it again, this time with Bonnie, a younger sibling attached to her brother who was incapable.....

- And, honestly, I don't see many people complaining about Clemont's little sister. So, if there's a problem with Max, I don't think it's for the reasons you've explained.

- On the other hand, yes, like Bonnie, t's hard to see Max without his older sibling, although it's also possible that he shows up with his father, Norman.

- Futhermore, being Max and Bonnie the only two "little childs" in the anime, and considering that they are quite different characters, I've always been curious to watch an episode focused on a joint adventure of both, although I think that it will never occur.
Bonnie was their second attempt at a younger sibling and had a lot of things Max didn’t:

-Bonnie wasn’t an anime original and did exist in the games so she wasn’t just randomly added baggage for Clement

-They actually gave Bonnie a Pokémon of her own to take care of which later made her instrumental in the Zygarde storyline and allowed her to participate in episodes beyond just being there. As a result, she never felt like dead weight in the group

-Bonnie wasn’t a know-it-all and given a grating and bratty personality and even gave a unique spin on the flirtation gag

Comparing Max and Bonnie is night and day. The writers definitely seemed to have learned their lessons with Max when they added Bonnie to the group.

-Bonnie was their second attempt at a younger sibling and had a lot of things Max didn’t:

-They actually gave Bonnie a Pokémon of her own to take care of which later made her instrumental in the Zygarde storyline and allowed her to participate in episodes beyond just being there. As a result, she never felt like dead weight in the group

-Bonnie wasn’t a know-it-all and given a grating and bratty personality and even gave a unique spin on the flirtation gag

Comparing Max and Bonnie is night and day. The writers definitely seemed to have learned their lessons with Max when they added Bonnie to the group.

- Instead of simply claiming that Max's problem was that he was too young to contribute with anything and even own a pokemon, when later the producers included another protagonist with these same limitations, wich, in your own opinion, was a successful character, you have now, conversely, provided relevant reasons.

- Nobody denies that Bonnie was a much better used and worked character than Max, but that wasn't because the boy was too younger to be relevant, when the girl, in that sense, found herself in a similar situation.

-The big difference between the two is the personality, that is, that Bonnie is a cheerful and kindly character that was, in general, used for comic and good feeling purposes. Meanwhile, Max was a proud bratty, a whiny and a bookworm character who, like almost every good brother, was almost always at odds with his older sister.

- The second meaning difference is that the producers, in fact, achieved in giving Bonnie a function directly related to one of the major plots of the season, which they were not able to do with Max. But, yeah, several other protagonists, like Clemont and Brock, often had little impact on the season's plot.

- On the other hand, Bonnie didn't really have a Pokémon either, in a trainer sense, despite her brother having captured Deddene for her. And while Max actually didn't have any Pokémon (the producers stole his ralts from him), he did assist Brock in taking care of the group's Pokémon in general. And, just like Bonnie, Max befriends several Pokémon during his journey, including legendary/mythical ones such as Deoxys and Jirachi.

- Max also has active participation in several episodes, as well as had episodes focusing on him and/or his relationship with May, in addition to even having a movie where he is the protagonist.

- The fact is that the general role of these little characters in the anime was pretty much the same, although the producers gave a much more satisfying personality and development to Bonnie, and, yes, some of Bonie character's strengths were certainly lessons learned by the producers from its predecessor.

- Finally, delegitimizing a character because he is original from the anime is a pretty bad argument.

Last edited:
- Well, it looks like you've now decided to give relevant reasons, don't you? Instead of simply claiming that Max's problem was that he was too young to contribute with anything and even own a pokemon, when later the producers included another protagonist with these same limitations, wich, in your own opinion, was a successful character.

- Nobody denies that Bonnie was a much better used and worked character than Max, but that wasn't because the boy was too younger to be relevant, when the girl, in that sense, found herself in a similar situation.

-The first big difference between the two is the personality, that is, that Bonnie is a cheerful and kindly character that was, in general, used for comic and good feeling purposes. Meanwhile, Max was a proud bratty, a whiny and a bookworm character who, like almost every good brother, was almost always at odds with his older sister.

- Bonnie didn't really have a Pokémon either, in a trainer sense, despite her brother having captured Deddene for her. And while Max actually didn't have any Pokémon (the producers stole his ralts from him), he did assist Brock in taking care of the group's Pokémon in general. And just like Bonnie, Max befriends several Pokémon during his journey, including legendary/mythical ones such as deoxys and jirachi.

- Max also has active participation in several episodes, as well as had episodes focusing on him and/or his relationship with May, in addition to even having a movie where he is the protagonist.

- The fact is that the general role of these little characters in the anime was pretty much the same, although the producers gave a much more satisfying personality and development to Bonnie, and, yes, some of that character's strengths were certainly lessons learned by the producers from its predecessor.

- Finally, delegitimizing a character because he is original from the anime is a pretty bad argument.
You do realize that opening your post like that comes across as if you’re going out of your way to start conflict with someone by talking down to them right?

As for the rest, it’s reasonings like that that are the reason why Bonnie was better received than Max was in spite of being in similar positions. The things that they improved with Bonnie that weren’t present with Max gave her a lot more quality to how she’s able to interact with the world vs Max. Even something as small as having a Pokémon of her own increases what she can do at any time compared to a tag along.

As for being anime original, yea it is an argument as in one case, the character already existed and was tied to the companion while in the other, the writers had to go completely out of their way to create a younger sibling character to force into the group where there was no need.

Might as well agree to disagree because it’s clear this isn’t going anywhere.

You do realize that opening your post like that comes across as if you’re going out of your way to start conflict with someone by talking down to them right?

As for being anime original, yea it is an argument as in one case, the character already existed and was tied to the companion while in the other, the writers had to go completely out of their way to create a younger sibling character to force into the group where there was no need.

- You are right, I was not correct in the opening sentence. But I didn't mean to talk down to you or anyone else, but just to point out that I wasn't criticizing your opinion about the character, but the justification initially provided, which only highlights a part of the character modeling that would later be repeated in another protagonist which is, in general, considered far more than satisfying.

- As for the rest, the producers chose to place Clemont and Bonnie, minor characteres from the game, in the anime's main group, rather than any other XY character. Then, If they felt that a younger sibling character wasn't needed, they just didn't need to do this.

-The existence of Clemont, Bonnie and Max as main characters is, in any case, an unnecessary forced imposition by the writers, simply because they felt it would be positive for the anime. The fact that Bonnie exists in the games and Max doesn't, doesn't change that and I can't see how this negatively implies in the anime or in the character.

Last edited:
Not only did we get Serena (who got to do more than I thought she would), but bonus referential appearances by Steven and MAY!

She may not get a full appearance because of her VA, but at least it's nice to see her remembered. :love:

Now all that's left is a Max cameo or reference and EVERYONE who's ever been on Ash-tachii will have appeared somehow this series.
I didn't even think Serena was going to be in this episode at first (even after the leak dropped, they've been fake before,) but when I found out she was I was absolutely ecstatic, and then we also get a May appearance on top of it! :love: (Even it was just a cameo in a flashback, I don't care, at least the writers acknowledged her existence. Now we just need her to physically reappear.)

Last edited:
Where is Kasumi :confused:
I think she and Brock will appear together towards the end of this season. It's obvious the writers purposely held off on her because she just came back for 4 episodes in SM whereas the other companions hadn't appeared in years or decades. If the SM cameo never happened she probably would have appeared in the first year or so.

Where is Kasumi indeed. WHERE IS MY GIRL.

(I know she came back in SM and the other characters didn't but like. Up until SM I truly thought we would never see her again and now that that's been proven wrong I want to keep seeing her in every series going forward idc let me have this lol)

I think it's a given she'll appear for at least one episode. But she's definitely not getting 4 episodes like back in SM especially if this saga is ending by November, there's not enough time. I do kinda feel they'll just throw Misty and Brock together in one episode just to have them both appear, maybe right before Ash heads off to the Master Class.

I don't think Misty will get a solo episode because if she was it obviously would have happened by now. So a Misty + Brock paired ep will probably happen instead.

Yeah, I'm still holding out hope for Misty. Journeys has pretty much completely lost my interest with the exception of big return episodes so those are what I really keep an eye out for.

Maybe it's just my own naïve optimism since Misty is my fave, but I do think she'll show up eventually. With the amount of other cameos we've gotten, especially from the past companions, it just makes sense.

Although it's fascinating we've gotten no sign of her considering more than half the freaking series takes place in Vermillion City...

I suppose the difference is I don't see Misty getting a solo ep to herself at this point, she'll probably just appear with Brock again. Even though Brock was in the Arceus specials he'll probably get one regular episode too in a full role, so the writers will probably just pair them together again like they did in SM.

Weird how Brock can return without Misty, but Misty seemingly can't get a cameo to herself without Brock being attached to her like a set again.

Misty should’ve appeared much earlier in Journeys. They could’ve had Ash fight Nessa in the Great Class, and Ash would’ve went to Misty for practice in a prior episode or something. Now it feels much harder to have Misty appear narratively, although I still feel like she’s guaranteed to appear eventually.

Last edited:
I think if the SM cameos never happened she would have appeared in the first year. The 4 eps in SM is probably why they held back on Misty appearing because she just got 4 return eps in the previous series.

^spits on ground^

Flashback of not, you've got some nerve showing your face again, Alain...

Still, this means all the major rivals except Trip have somehow appeared. (Though I prefer Trip NOT show up.)

Last edited:
^spits on ground^

Flashback of not, you've got some nerve showing your face again, Alain...

Still, this means all the major rivals except Trip have somehow appeared. (Though I prefer Trip NOT show up.)
I think we all do prefer that. This journey is way too good to become a bad trip

So I did the math and unless I made a mistake even if Ash had a full battle with every member of the Master Eight and he never uses a Pokémon twice (so he uses 42 Pokémon) he actually still has just a few too many for everyone to get used, and that's if you cut out ones that aren't either with him or at Oak/Kukui.

Please note: The thread is from 1 year ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom