• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Scarlet/Violet DLC

Bolt Strike

Bringing the Thunder
Reaction score
For the first time ever in Pokemon, Pokemon Sword and Shield received DLC to add new content to the next gen game instead of a third version. Now the next generation has released and the potential for DLC has come around yet again. Will SV indeed follow in SwSh's footsteps and get DLC? What kind of DLC will we get?

Note that there are a couple of hints towards new content in the game already which gives us some hints as to what could be coming.

The Scarlet/Violet Book, a copy of which can be read on a bookshelf to the right of the front desk in Naranja/Uva Academy, hints towards several Pokemon that might be added in an upcoming expansion. In Scarlet, there appears to be a past Paradox Pokemon that's a fusion of the Beast Trio, while in Violet, there's a future Paradox Pokemon that's a fusion of the Muskedeers. There also appears to be a weird disc Pokemon made of hexagons. I suspect this might be this game's Eternatus and is the source of the Terastal phenomenon. So it definitely looks like we'll be seeing a continuation of the Area Zero plotline at the very least.

There's a blank area northeast of Paldea that appears on the map. I suspect it's going to be a DLC area.

That might not actually be a playable area. I think that's supposed to reference how Spain is connected to France IRL. That blank area is probably Kalos but we're probably not going to actually go there because that would be too much to incorporate as DLC.

That might not actually be a playable area. I think that's supposed to reference how Spain is connected to France IRL. That blank area is probably Kalos but we're probably not going to actually go there because that would be too much to incorporate as DLC.
We'll see. Would be fun to revisit at least a part of Kalos.

i feel like there's an non-zero chance of the DLC being tied to Kalos. extremely slim (and i'm biased because i liked Kalos/XY), but still
I'm not expecting any Kalos connections at all, and I myself didn't like it when people try to connect European regions to Kalos (like when people said that the Great Crater of Paldea was created by the Ultimate Weapon's impact).

There's a blank area northeast of Paldea that appears on the map. I suspect it's going to be a DLC area.
Someone pointed out that that's not just the France part, it's also the Catalonia part. It's possible that Catalonia, Andora, and southern France are combined in their own region. Which would explain the painting in the player's house still looking like Spanish architecture because Barcelona is just annexed to another region.

What concerns me though, is when you climb to the highest peak, you can see over the rocky outcropping and they didn't bother to model anything but a thin strip of rock. You can see the water over it.

Someone pointed out that that's not just the France part, it's also the Catalonia part. It's possible that Catalonia, Andora, and southern France are combined in their own region. Which would explain the painting in the player's house still looking like Spanish architecture because Barcelona is just annexed to another region.
I can’t see them making Catalonia part of another region for controversial reasons.

I can’t see them making Catalonia part of another region for controversial reasons.
They already gave some Barcelona landmarks to other cities, don't really make the distinction between Spain and Portugal, and have churros, a Mexican food, in Spain of all places. At this point, I doubt they're concerned over past political history. Especially since there's no Spanish or Portuguese people on the main team like there were SwSh that they could bounce ideas off of for accuracy.

every single generation there's always hope that maybe, just maybe we might visit kalos again. and it never happens. there's nothing wrong with people continuing to hope for it to happen, but my expectations are that any new dlc is probably going to introduce something new altogether a la swsh's isle of armour or crown tundra. i'd like to be wrong, and it'd be fun to explore some unseen part of kalos, but i don't see it happening.

in fact, i think the next dlc or two is going to mirror swsh's almost exactly and introduce a few new pokemon that the dlc is going to be focused towards. not that it's a bad thing, mind, but it seems like that would be the kind of thing that would make sense for game freak to do.

Last edited:
I was discussing the same topic on Serebii and a couple of users floated around the idea of having new Paradox Pokemon besides the Beast Trio/Muskedeer fusions. It does seem like there might be more of these, so I wanted to share the ideas I had for new ones:

Past Paradox Pokemon (Scarlet only):
Beast trio fusion (hinted at in Scarlet Book)
Toxic Lung (Whiscash Paradox)- Water/Poison
Fluffy Frost (Altaria Paradox)- Ice/Flying

Future Paradox Pokemon (Violet only):
Muskedeer fusion (hinted at in Violet Book)
Iron Torpedo (Sharpedo Paradox)- Water/Steel
Iron Bat (Noivern Paradox)- Dragon/Psychic

I do like the concept and want to see them do a little more with it, and while I don't expect too much more given how DLC and mid gen games only add around 5-10 new Pokemon total, I do think they could squeeze a few more out of the game.

If we don’t get any Kalos-centric plot points or the return of Mega Evolution (which is most likely since Game Freak seems allergic to that region and seems to regret that mechanic as well), I think there’s a chance we’ll get some sort of special Terastal Forms (possibly dual-typed) since the DLC is all but confirmed to revolve around the origin of Terastal if that golden disk entity is any indication. I can’t see much else that they could do to make a Terastal-centric DLC worthwhile otherwise.

Any else think this could happen?

Terastal forms would just be Paradox species, except less versatile due to not having movepool changes or access to all Tera types. Oh, and they would disappear forever after the DLC...

I believe that it will focus on a new Legendary Pokemon that will be Normal/Dragon type. I think that there might be more Paldean forms and Paradox Pokemon.

Now, even if we don't get Kalos (Chances are extremely slim even)... they can and they should incorporate at least once Kalos character in the DLC (Preferably Alexa, since she can go to Paldea to snap pictures of the newly discovered Paradox Pokemon). Alternatively, they can incorporate Tierno, Trevor, Shauna, Sina and Dexio as well.

Terastal forms would just be Paradox species, except less versatile due to not having movepool changes or access to all Tera types.
I disagree with this notion since none of the Paradox Pokémon have anything remotely to do with the Terastal phenomenon. Neither sets of Paradox Pokémon have any prominent crystalline features (unless you think those green things on Iron Thorns are crystals). I imagine that any potential Terastal forms would have more crystalline features, possibly either in the form of special armor or with palanquin to accompany their hats/crowns.

Of course they could always just give the DLC Paradox Pokémon more crystalline features, but I doubt we'll go that direction since they seem pretty set on the whole past/future aesthetic instead.

Oh, and they would disappear forever after the DLC...
That's a given for any regional battle mechanic nowadays; doesn't stop Game Freak from making one-and-done designs though, especially when it comes to marketing. What else could Game Freak do with Terastal in a Terastal-centric DLC anyway?

I disagree with this notion since none of the Paradox Pokémon have anything remotely to do with the Terastal phenomenon. Neither sets of Paradox Pokémon have any prominent crystalline features (unless you think those green things on Iron Thorns are crystals). I imagine that any potential Terastal forms would have more crystalline features, possibly either in the form of special armor or with palanquin to accompany their hats/crowns.

Of course they could always just give the DLC Paradox Pokémon more crystalline features, but I doubt we'll go that direction since they seem pretty set on the whole past/future aesthetic instead.

That's a given for any regional battle mechanic nowadays; doesn't stop Game Freak from making one-and-done designs though, especially when it comes to marketing. What else could Game Freak do with Terastal in a Terastal-centric DLC anyway?
As for Tera forms, due to continuity errors no Pokemon in the Paldea Pokedex can get them. They'll be exclusive to Pokemon that are not currently in Scarlet and Violet right now.

Back
Top Bottom