• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

what don't you like about hg/ss?

I dislike that Rattata, Pidgey, and other general common low level Kanto Pokemon are found in Kanto despite already being in Johto. What was the point of stuffing Johto with Pidgey and Rattata when Kanto is already stuffed with them? If they didn't want to rid Rattata and Pidgey from Johto, it would of been a smarter move to put uncommon Pokemon in Kanto rather than spamming them in two regions. I think I've might of already said something similar to this earlier, but I don't like that they crammed most of the Gen II pokemon in the Safari Zone rathering than spreading them out in Johto. It's better than nothing, I guess.

Another thing is the fact the game doesn't acknowledge FRLG (exclusive) features at all, they were the prequels and they get too much flak, so they at least should have something worth noting. I don't care that the Sevii Islands aren't in, a brief mention would be nice. If there's not even an indirect reference, I'm disappointed.

Hey at least it's better than waiting until late Kanto to get some of the Johto Pokemon that are now in the Safari Zone.

As I said before perhaps Pidgey was put in since HootHoot, the Johto's "common bird," is only obtainable at night. That's just pure speculation on my part so I could be wrong. Though I do agree about Rattata, I always hated those things. Plus Sentret is much more adorable. You also have to take into account that Johto and Kanto are linked together, unlike Hoenn and Sinnoh. Because of that I guess they wanted to spread out the two regions (Johto and Kanto) and their Pokemon, even though they messed up a bit in the process.

I don't get how Fr/Lg is getting "too much flak" since people have been praising them for the last few pages, which is good since Fr/Lg are pretty underrated.

Last edited:
To be honest, I don't care if Leaf is in HGSS. She was just a female alternative in FRLG. Besides, if she was put, they would gave her the same team as Red. It would be too much trouble to program a new team for just her.

Has anyone noticed that it said "Trade" for Tentacool and Tentacruel. I mean, they bugged the hell out of me while surfing on Routes 40 and 41. But am I going to assume they are not there anymore? Forget surfing, I am swimming to Cianwood City if the water is safe if I get SoulSilver (and Mantine is rare on those routes in HeartGold).

To be honest, I don't care if Leaf is in HGSS. She was just a female alternative in FRLG. Besides, if she was put, they would gave her the same team as Red. It would be too much trouble to program a new team for just her.

Has anyone noticed that it said "Trade" for Tentacool and Tentacruel. I mean, they bugged the hell out of me while surfing on Routes 40 and 41. But am I going to assume they are not there anymore? Forget surfing, I am swimming to Cianwood City if the water is safe if I get SoulSilver (and Mantine is rare on those routes in HeartGold).
No, it really would not have been too much trouble.

I don't like the fact that the patch of gross next to Violet that was in Crystal did not return.

No, it really would not have been too much trouble.

I don't like the fact that the patch of gross next to Violet that was in Crystal did not return.

It migrated down south. There's a patch of grass before the guy that stops you for your early mareep.

Also, trouble? No.
Pointless? Yes.

Chances are most people would complain that adding Leaf as another trainer would ruin the nostalgic value of Red. (I've actually had that argument come up against me numerous times)

It migrated down south. There's a patch of grass before the guy that stops you for your early mareep.

Also, trouble? No.
Pointless? Yes.

Chances are most people would complain that adding Leaf as another trainer would ruin the nostalgic value of Red. (I've actually had that argument come up against me numerous times)

Oh, so THAT patch wasn't in GS? Okay. XD

And chances are that people can get over it and shut up about their nostalgia. I can understand if people complaining if Leaf repalced Red entirely, but many people wanted her in one way or another.

Oh, so THAT patch wasn't in GS? Okay. XD

And chances are that people can get over it and shut up about their nostalgia. I can understand if people complaining if Leaf repalced Red entirely, but many people wanted her in one way or another.
Nope, in G/S it was just short ground all around. In crystal there was the north patch but not the south patch. This is probably for people who either started with a chikorita, or are severely pissed off by Falkner's roost abuse.

Well while her being in would have been cool, she's not, so oh well. It doesn't bother me, nor am I going to try to bend heaven and earth to strike thunder upon gamefreak for "failing".

This whole thing about the vs seeker being gone might not be as bad as we thought. Serebii has a new page up detailing rematches and utilizing the day of the week and phone and all that. It may not be as handy as the seeker, but it sure beats waiting for that phone call. Now, we call them.

Why does that fisherman still have all Magikarp?

This whole thing about the vs seeker being gone might not be as bad as we thought. Serebii has a new page up detailing rematches and utilizing the day of the week and phone and all that. It may not be as handy as the seeker, but it sure beats waiting for that phone call. Now, we call them.

I think the Vs. Seeker wins in my opinion even taking into account what you posted; you don't have to wait for a specific time and day to rematch the trainers. And yes, you can call them as many times as you want during that period of time and still have battle after battle, but that alone doesn't beat the fact that the Vs. Seeker can force the rematch with more than a trainer at once.

What intrigues me is the fact that some Japanese forums are reporting it's possible to pass down IVs via breeding using the Power Items (Weight, Bracer, Belt, Lens, Band and Anklet). Can someone confirm or elaborate more on this, please?

Everybody on here were complaining about the Gym Leader teams being crappy, earlier. But the complaints are about the Pokemon themselves, not their movesets. Gawd people, it's not like they have teams of Magikrap. Luckily for me, I have actually looked at the movesets, before complaining about the teams.

1. Falkner's old team consisted Pidgey and Pidgeotto back then probably because Hoothoot and Natu can't learn Mud-Slap. Mud-Slap can do damage and lower accuracy, as well as take on Flying's weaknesses (Rock and Electric) with the Ground-type move. The new movesets don't have Mud-Slap, but Roost, which is not really better than the GSC moveset.

2. Bugsy has the same team. Metapod and Kakuna are just there to annoy you. The real threat is still Scyther having the move U-turn (though Fury Cutter was a dangerous move, getting stronger each turn). They should have replaced Metapod and Kakuna with the newer Bug Pokemon back in Gen II, perhaps with Heracross. Shuckle was not added in the rematch team, maybe because of its high defences.

3. Somebody has complained about Whitney's rematch team having Bibarel. It has Double Team and Surf (with STAB), that's not crappy at all.

4. Morty's annoyer was, and still, Gengar, which is too bad as Misdreavus would be such an annoyance with Pain Split and Perish Song. Luckily, Mismagius is in his rematch team, but not with Pain Split.

5. Back in the GSC days, Chuck gave away DynamicPunch as a TM. He would have the Hitmon family, with Hitmonchan with this TM. But because the move can miss (and Hitmonchan might not have Mind Reader) they gave it to Poliwrath instead. Now it is Focus Punch and Mind Reader is not needed.

6. Because Pryce's levels are lower than Jasmine's, you think he is easier. Wrong. Because of Seel's and Dewgong's stats, they can take a long time to damage. And when they are weak enough, they use Rest. Piloswine is not the annoyance, Seel and Dewgong STILL are.

7. I am disappointed with Clair's new team because of Gyarados. With an all Dragon team back then, you would assume to bring Ice Pokemon and pwn her Dragonairs, and she sends Kingdra out and pwn your Ice-types. But with a Gyarados, she's practically begging you to use Electric-types. It doesn't even have STAB moves.

8. Also, people have complained that Lt. Surge has a Pachirisu. Just an FYI, that mother has Super Fang and packs a bunch of experience, so shut up.

1. Falkner's old team consisted Pidgey and Pidgeotto back then probably because Hoothoot and Natu can't learn Mud-Slap. Mud-Slap can do damage and lower accuracy, as well as take on Flying's weaknesses (Rock and Electric) with the Ground-type move. The new movesets don't have Mud-Slap, but Roost, which is not really better than the GSC moveset.

So?

2. Bugsy has the same team. Metapod and Kakuna are just there to annoy you. The real threat is still Scyther having the move U-turn (though Fury Cutter was a dangerous move, getting stronger each turn). They should have replaced Metapod and Kakuna with the newer Bug Pokemon back in Gen II, perhaps with Heracross. Shuckle was not added in the rematch team, maybe because of its high defences.
Shuckle isn't even a bug type.

3. Somebody has complained about Whitney's rematch team having Bibarel. It has Double Team and Surf (with STAB), that's not crappy at all.

Okay, so?

4. Morty's annoyer was, and still, Gengar, which is too bad as Misdreavus would be such an annoyance with Pain Split and Perish Song. Luckily, Mismagius is in his rematch team, but not with Pain Split.

Yeah, he should have Misdreavus. We've heard that before.
5. Back in the GSC days, Chuck gave away DynamicPunch as a TM. He would have the Hitmon family, with Hitmonchan with this TM. But because the move can miss (and Hitmonchan might not have Mind Reader) they gave it to Poliwrath instead. Now it is Focus Punch and Mind Reader is not needed.

This didn't make sense. Chuck never had the Hitmon family.
6. Because Pryce's levels are lower than Jasmine's, you think he is easier. Wrong. Because of Seel's and Dewgong's stats, they can take a long time to damage. And when they are weak enough, they use Rest. Piloswine is not the annoyance, Seel and Dewgong STILL are.

Okay, I agree.

7. I am disappointed with Clair's new team because of Gyarados. With an all Dragon team back then, you would assume to bring Ice Pokemon and pwn her Dragonairs, and she sends Kingdra out and pwn your Ice-types. But with a Gyarados, she's practically begging you to use Electric-types. It doesn't even have STAB moves.

I like it better than three dragonairs.

8. Also, people have complained that Lt. Surge has a Pachirisu. Just an FYI, that mother has Super Fang and packs a bunch of experience, so shut up.

Okay. That's great. It still seems a bit out of characters.

Okay. That's great. It still seems a bit out of characters.

I think the pachirisu is in perfect character for Surge.
It's irony of his "tough guy" image mixed with the stereotypical American love for small cute furry creatures.

It adds to comedic value, imo.

I think the pachirisu is in perfect character for Surge.
It's irony of his "tough guy" image mixed with the stereotypical American love for small cute furry creatures.

It adds to comedic value, imo.

Well, Surge did model himself after the greatest American hero of all time: Hulk Hogan. So I guess it does work...

Ignore me.

In fact, Lt. Surge and Fantina are the only American characters in the games. There Japanese names are Matis and Melissa.

Back
Top Bottom