• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Moves you think a Pokemon should have.

Ursaring is indeed stronger than Beartic, but Pokémon much weaker than Beartic can learn it.

Ekans, Arbok, Mankey, Poliwhirl, Slowpoke, Chansey, Pineco, Dunsparce, Snubbull, Shuckle, Teddiursa, Corsola, Tyrogue, Vigoroth, Loudred, Makuhita, Aron, Spheal, Bronzor, Riolu, Croagunk, Mantyke, Dwebble, Tirtouga, Archen.

A list of all the pokemon who are considerably weaker, and in most cases weigh much less than Beartic, that learn Earthquake.

There's a whole boatload that can learn it, but I didn't list some of the other, more, "questionable" pokemon that can learn it, since everyone's opinion on the others could differ, whereas the above list, I hope we can agree, that there is no justification in those learning Earthquake while Beartic cannot. The "mass =/= strength" point holds no weight (lol) here, as all are weaker and have less mass.

So what exactly allows them to learn Earthquake while Beartic cannot? o_O Maybe GF didn't want Beartic to have a similar movepool as Ursaring, idk.

Looks like your point is proven.

I think GF didn't want Beartic to have too much coverage, I guess.

Druddigon can't learn Fly?

I read about their wings being used for cooling purposes, like the Stegosaurus, but still.

No, it cannot, but considering how small those wings are, it's no surprise.

The real travesty is Yanmega not learning Fly. Its Dex entries say it can carry a full-grown man in flight.

Yanemga needs Quiver Dance, also. Or Hurricane even, since its wings are supposed to be really powerful... no evidence of that in its movepool GF >.> (Sonicboom, maybe, but that's not even remotely powerful).

Last edited:
I know, I didn't understand that either..
Maybe they'll update all the moves Pokemon should have in the 3rd version, like they did with Platinum.

You mean Excadrill will have Stone Edge? And the Tao Trio will have Earthquake?

I believe that there are two Pokemon that deserves a set of better moves: Glalie and Gardevoir. Reason being that their Dawn Stone counterparts have a superior movepool over them, considering how they get the moves of the pre-evolutions, which the "normal" final evolution also get, and they even have their own exclusive moves they don't share with the "normal" counterpart. I believe Froslass' case is worse than Gallade because Froslass cannot share those moves and is overall a better advantage over Glalie. This concept is a bad idea in creating counterparts, because the other is bound to be superior over the other. I said Gallade isn't as bad because at least Gardevoir has a more useful ability (Trace) and can still use Special attacks which Gallade cannot use more effectively. For Froslass, the type combination is more useful, Speed is higher (lower Defences is hardly much of a problem) and of course, Froslass can still effectively use attacks Glalie learns, except for a special few (Explosion, Earthquake, Super Fang and Sheer Cold, which Froslass cannot learn). Well, maybe Glalie getting Moody makes it better, but then again, the ability is not allowed in Standard Play (and probably All-Pokemon Play as well).

So, I think Gardevoir should only get: Ice Beam (too late for that, but just a thought), Aura Sphere, Recover, Giga Drain, Heat Wave
These moves should only have been Glalie-exclusive: Icicle Crash, Sucker Punch (note that Froslass gets it too), Stealth Rock, Shell Smash, Superpower, Focus Blast, Scald, Minimise

I apologise if this seems too harsh or critical, which I don't mean to be, because I really care about counterparts being balanced with their own special advantages each.

Thanks for reading.

^Is Ecadrill a dragon-slayer or something?

Back on topic: I would've thought Umbreon could use Foul Play, considering it's high defense would probably lead to a powerful physical 'mon being brought out.

Power Trick could also turn him into an offensive beast, but atthe same timw would leave him as vulnerable as Flareon.

^Is Ecadrill a dragon-slayer or something?

Back on topic: I would've thought Umbreon could use Foul Play, considering it's high defense would probably lead to a powerful physical 'mon being brought out.

Power Trick could also turn him into an offensive beast, but atthe same timw would leave him as vulnerable as Flareon.
It has massive claws! Besides, if it knew Dragon Claw, it would be able to 1HKO Kingdra; and outspeed it in Sandstorm.

Dragon claw can only learned by reptilian Pokemon (with the obvious exceptions being Mew and Smeargle), something that Excadrill isn't. Also Excadrill can knock out Kingdra with Earthquake regardless because a STAB Earthquake is just as powerful as an un-STAB'd super effective Dragon Claw.

And before anyone says it, yes I am aware of the "ryū" (dragon) thing in its Japanese name, but that still no excuse.

I dunno. The "huge" claws thing Joshawott mentioned seemed to fit with Dragon Claw's description:

DRAGON CLAW:
The user slashes the target with huge, sharp claws.

That actually made me think Sandslash could learn it. So yeah, he and Ecadrill should both have it. Preferably by TM in Sanslash's case, Level-Up in Exca's case.

Dragon claw can only learned by reptilian Pokemon (with the obvious exceptions being Mew and Smeargle), something that Excadrill isn't. Also Excadrill can knock out Kingdra with Earthquake regardless because a STAB Earthquake is just as powerful as an un-STAB'd super effective Dragon Claw.

And before anyone says it, yes I am aware of the "ryū" (dragon) thing in its Japanese name, but that still no excuse.
An Exadrill with a non +Atk nature and 252 Atk EVs would do 60.8-71.5% damage to a Kingdra. That becomes 45.4-53.6% in doubles. If it had Dragon Claw though, it still won't 1HKO, doing 64.6-76.3%. Give it a Life Orb, and a Dragon Claw would do 83.8-99%. So yeah; you'd need a + Atk nature and 252 EVs to be able to 1HKO a Kingdra with Dragon Claw (92.1-108.6%). Most you can get otherwise (in doubles) is Drill Liner, which would do 69.1-81.4%.

Although yeah, in singles, a +Atk, 252 Atk EV Excadrill's Earthquake would deal 85.9-101.4%; still, more likely that it won't 1HKO. However, a +Atk nature, 252 Atk EV Kingdra with Life Orb will deal 126.3-148.5% damage to an Excadrill with Waterfall.

*sigh*

Also, it would be cool if Emboar could learn Mach Punch; it would make up for it's low speed. Also, why no Fire Punch?

I think Linoone should learn Extreme Speed, or at least Quick Attack, by level up. According to its Pokédex entry, it can run at 90+ km/h, so it would fit it well.

It used to have Extreme Speed through pokemon box. I think they should put it back as an egg move for it, and release a Linoone on Wifi that knows it to breed (even though I think it has breeding partners that already know it)

No, Pokémon Box really is the only way to obtain a Linoone with Extreme Speed. It would be cool if there was some other way.

This is a bit in the opposite direction, but why can Diglette and Dugtrio learn Cut and Slash? I picture and invisible hand of invisibleness everytime they use it.
And in the first few versions, wasn't Rryhorn and it's evolutions able to use surf?

Please note: The thread is from 12 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom