• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

SPOILERS FOR OR/AS. WHAT WOULD BE THE EFFECT ON YOU?

homer.homs

Grand Duke Homs
Reaction score
Recently, Project Pokemon released a spoiler regarding the different aspect of the new Pokemon like stats of Pokemon with new Mega Evolution, changes in Contests, etc.

Personally, I hate it. It reduce the excitement that it will bring before I bought the game. Though it is not official, but I think, it ruins the excitement.

How about you guys, does it affect you? In what way? Positively? Or in negative way?

Does it change your thoughts in playing OR/AS?

Well When x/y came out I choose not to spoil the new megas for myself or the new pokemon, I didn't spoil half the megas and Half the new pokemon or the story they were new games of the generation so spoilers would have been horrible, the megas were a pain to find so I just went to serebii to see what had a mega and what didn't and I'll do the same here. Stats on the mega pokemon isn't a big deal frankly I'll forget them by the time The games come out.

Story line spoilers? These games are 12 years old (the originals) I have played emerald well over 30 times by now Theres nothing left to spoil since the moment the games were announced
ask me anything about r/s/e I can answer it I might even be able to remeber what some characters said in the game.

The rematch teams for the elite four, Its like ok cool they have these pokemon I mean I would have predicted sidney to have other dark types post game duh :p

new art work for the gym leaders is also a meh. The only thing unspoiled is the story line changes which are likely to be minor

Well When x/y came out I choose not to spoil the new megas for myself or the new pokemon, I didn't spoil half the megas and Half the new pokemon or the story they were new games of the generation so spoilers would have been horrible, the megas were a pain to find so I just went to serebii to see what had a mega and what didn't and I'll do the same here. Stats on the mega pokemon isn't a big deal frankly I'll forget them by the time The games come out.

Not spoiling yourself is a hard job to do. Lol. Because half of you is telling you that you don't want to check it, and half will tell you to check it. Sometimes, the latter always wins.

Story line spoilers? These games are 12 years old (the originals) I have played emerald well over 30 times by now Theres nothing left to spoil since the moment the games were announced ask me anything about r/s/e I can answer it I might even be able to remeber what some characters said in the game.

The rematch teams for the elite four, Its like ok cool they have these pokemon I mean I would have predicted sidney to have other dark types post game duh :p

new art work for the gym leaders is also a meh. The only thing unspoiled is the story line changes which are likely to be minor

Yeah, same opinions here. The main storyline will still be the same except for additional/removal of some stories. Wish they would not spoil that.

But as a competitive player, I think it is not proper to release the stats in advance as it will spoil any excitement in choosing the Pokemon. I don't know. Inside me really burning of anger. LOL. Also the other Mega Evolution that are waiting to release. They ruined it.

Not spoiling yourself is a hard job to do. Lol. Because half of you is telling you that you don't want to check it, and half will tell you to check it. Sometimes, the latter always wins.

Story line spoilers? These games are 12 years old (the originals) I have played emerald well over 30 times by now Theres nothing left to spoil since the moment the games were announced ask me anything about r/s/e I can answer it I might even be able to remeber what some characters said in the game.

Yeah, same opinions here. The main storyline will still be the same except for additional/removal of some stories. Wish they would not spoil that.

But as a competitive player, I think it is not proper to release the stats in advance as it will spoil any excitement in choosing the Pokemon. I don't know. Inside me really burning of anger. LOL. Also the other Mega Evolution that are waiting to release. They ruined it.

I would be looking up their stats leaks or not because I can't tell that crap :p

I actually appreciate the Megas' stat leaks. Lets me know how I should go about my breeding in these last few weeks.

Yep. Also the egg moves being datamined means I can breed everything in XY now and then just transfer to ORAS without worrying that they will get some new egg moves and have to rebreed.

The only thing unspoiled is the story line changes which are likely to be minor

Apparently the storyline's being greatly changed. They're creating a unique Mega Evolution B-Plot, a Lati@s C-Plot instead of making it post-game, and hinting at another C-Plot with Tabitha possibly overthrowing Maxie in Team Magma. They're obviously keeping the same basic storyline, but everything else is being revamped.

I actually appreciate the Megas' stat leaks. Lets me know how I should go about my breeding in these last few weeks.

Yep. Also the egg moves being datamined means I can breed everything in XY now and then just transfer to ORAS without worrying that they will get some new egg moves and have to rebreed.

This is me right now, I breed a shiny slyveon about a year ago but now that eevee has access to hyper voice again I want to breed one with pixilate but in doing so I ignore my beloved blue slyveon for a pink one with a stronger fairy move

I don't like all of the info coming out so soon. I want to have some sort of surprise going into this game. I don't mind some spoilers, especially when I'm looking for selling points, but trainer rosters? Wild Pokemon distribution? Those are things that I like to find out for myself.

@BlackButterfree; Can you not spoiler content when it isn't the corresponding spoilering thread?

I don't care about the artwork or stats being leaked, but storyline getting leaked and spoilering people really gets on my nerves. Anything not listed in Corocoro or the official website really hurts. I don't want to know what happens in the main game or what's in the post game that's not officially confirmed just yet. I play pokemon for story, and I want to save the plots/climax for later and find them out on my own.

I like to be spoiler-free, but this is a remake of my favorite Generation. I tried to stay away from spoilers, but I gave in. Honestly, I am even more excited than what I would have been if I stayed spoiler-free.

I like spoilers regarding Pokemon, stats, megas and tutors, etc. It helps me plan out teams and what I want to use in-game, and to an extent, how I'll play.

All story spoilers though, should be kept in spoiler tags. I want to see that firsthand for myself.

@BlackButterfree; Can you not spoiler content when it isn't the corresponding spoilering thread?

I don't care about the artwork or stats being leaked, but storyline getting leaked and spoilering people really gets on my nerves. Anything not listed in Corocoro or the official website really hurts. I don't want to know what happens in the main game or what's in the post game that's not officially confirmed just yet. I play pokemon for story, and I want to save the plots/climax for later and find them out on my own.

Literally everything I said is on the official website, and you just said you ONLY read the official website and CoroCoro. Also, everything we know and that I said has come from both places, so... Sorry, not sorry. Not really "spoilers" if it's OFFICIALLY been confirmed and revealed.

Mega Evolution B-Plot:

ORAS Website said:
Champion Steven will be closely involved with you while you explore Hoenn. This mysterious young man has a great interest in collecting rare stones. He's in pursuit of the true story behind the mysteries that lie at the heart of the stories in Pokémon Omega Ruby and Pokémon Alpha Sapphire : the origins of Mega Evolution and the Legendary Pokémon.

ORAS Website said:
Rayquaza is said to be somehow connected with the mysteries of Mega Evolution.

Lati@s C-Plot:

ORAS Website said:
Partway through your adventure, you’ll become able to Soar in the sky. Gaze down over the wide Hoenn region as you Soar freely wherever you wish! Try using the Eon Flute, obtained during your adventure, in the field. Latios or Latias will come to pick you up, and you’ll be able to take off on its back to Soar the skies. Prepare to be awed by the spectacle of Latios or Latias Mega Evolving in the air!

And then the Tabitha sub-plot:

ORAS Website said:
Tabitha normally has a benign expression on his face, but when he gets worked up, his eyes become shrewd and his gaze is as sharp as a knife. His natural inclination to be helpful has apparently made him very popular with the Grunts. There are rumors that he has his sights set on becoming the leader of Team Magma.

I suggest you stay up to date with the website, then. :)

I'd appreciate it if you keep them in spoiler tags if it's not the corresponding spoiling thread.

It's not a spoiler, as a spoiler is defined as "a description of an important plot development in a television show, movie, etc., before it is shown to the public." As I said, everything is on the official ORAS website, which anyone can access. Ergo, not spoilers. A spoiler would be a detailed run-down of the demo, as its not widely available for everyone and which is most certainly in its own corresponding thread.

I typically do not enjoy spoilers. I encouraged my community to keep spoiler discussion for XY separate from non-spoiler discussion right on up through Christmas 2013. A number of people resented me for it, but I also received thanks from fellow players who dislike being spoiled on details going into a new generation.

With ORAS, I decided to allow myself to be spoiled on all of the things being revealed by CoroCoro and the official site this time around. I wouldn't do that with a Generation VII game, but with ORAS I figured it was worth it to minimize friction between the anti-spoiler camp and the pro-spoiler camp on the forum where I mostly post; and also because ORAS are remakes of games twelve years old.

Like many people, I don't mind the spoilers about creature availability, graphics, or certain new game features nearly as much as I mind the spoilers about the plot (where it's different from before) or the world map (where it's different from before; not new additions, but drastic changes to existing cities and routes). For example, there were rumors circulating for a bit in the wake of the demo's datamining that one of the cities in the region had fallen victim to a natural disaster of some sort, similar to Cinnabar Island in GSC. I'm not putting it in spoiler tags because the rumor was debunked fairly quickly once people realized what the mined data was actually referring to, but if it had been real then yes, I'd absolutely put it in spoiler tags. If the plot of ORAS has been changed in significant ways (silly example: the Magma/Aqua boss turns into a Pokémon at the climax of the game :p), then I'd prefer to find out on my own through the course of normal gameplay. Telling me ahead of time cheapens the experience. It makes it feel like my first time playing ORAS is actually my second or my fifty-third.

I can say this: if you're someone who feels that Pokémon launches have gotten more boring over time, you should definitely give a spoiler-free pre-release a try. It's what I mostly experienced for XY. (There are some things you just can't avoid people spoiling you on, unfortunately.) And I think it made a huge, positive difference on my experience. Pokémon's still Pokémon, and at the end of the day a grown man playing his sixth generation of Pokémon games can't be expected to relive his childhood experience of playing Gold or Silver, the first games not spoiled for us in advance by the anime, for the very first time; but to the extent that one can expect it, that is exactly what I got to experience last fall. And it was wonderful. Not knowing the region's landmarks? Not knowing the circuit the player takes? Not knowing who the gym leaders were? Not knowing the goals of the criminal organization? Not knowing the cast of legendaries (outside of the box cover duo) and therefore not knowing when I might expect to run into one as part of the story? Not knowing what the starters evolved into, type-wise or design-wise? Not knowing hardly any of the new Kalos creatures? It was wonderful. It was the closest I have had in fourteen years to recreating the experience of playing Pokémon Silver in 2000. Highly, highly recommended you try it out for Gen VII if you found the launches of BW, BW2, and/or XY to be disappointing. You might have to cut yourself off from Bulbagarden for up to a year if you don't even want CoroCoro spoilers (which is how I was; but my community was much more understanding, and much smaller, than Bulbagarden could be expected to be); but if all you don't want to be spoiled on are the town, starter evo, and plot details, then you would probably only have to sit out for like a month or two. It's definitely worth it. I am 100% planning to do it again with Gen VII.

I do hope that Game Freak rolls back the number of creatures they spoil during pre-release. Their relationship with CoroCoro has been, in my opinion, unhealthy in this regard. With XY, it's my understanding that they revealed all or nearly all of the basic forms of the Kalos Pokémon prior to the games' release. And as for ORAS ... (spoilers from datamining the demo)

They revealed practically every single Mega Evolution ahead of time. Like, if I'm not mistaken, there is one that they have yet to reveal. Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeevery other one they've already gone and revealed.
I understand that they do this to build up the hype pre-release, but the trade-off -- a diminished experience when actually playing the game -- isn't worth it in my opinion. You want to show us 10% of the basic forms of the new region before release? Fine. 20%? That's a bit much. 50%? Stop, what are you doing. Hopefully Gen VII won't mimic Gen VI in this regard. I have low expectations, but that gives Game Freak plenty of room to pleasantly surprise me.

I'm going to avoid these datamined spoilers as much as possible. I've already had one bit of info spoiled for me that I was trying to avoid until the release of the game, and now I just can't take it back. I understand that that ORAS are based on decade-old games, but it seems like they're getting some really cool upgrades not found in the original games. And considering how disappointed I felt when I saw my Quilladin in X evolve into a Pokémon I saw a week earlier than I was supposed to see, I'm gonna try to avoid that disappointment this time around.

I do wanna check out the stats for the new Mega Evolutions, as well as some new moves Pokémon are going to get in ORAS, but I'm sure I can find that info somewhere without having everything else spoiled for me.

In my opinion, spoilers or no spoilers is just a matter of self control. There absolutely should be use of the spoiler tag in threads where it's just general discussion. But to say that there shouldn't be leaks just to make your experience seem fresher? That kind of takes something away from people who want to breed certain things, or hey, don't actually mind being spoiled. I always look at the pokedex roster beforehand so that I can pick pokemon that I want right off the gate instead of experimenting with pokemon that I don't actually like, but already invested exp in. It really isn't everyone else's responsibility that you don't want to learn the information. Nobody makes you click on The Mega Evolution Thread that is clearly going to be discussing the actual megas and their strategy instead of making guesses about things they know aren't true. Not everyone plays the game the same way.

I'm personally spoiling some things, but leaving some up to speculation. I haven't looked at any of the text dumps nor have I listened to the music. I'm also trying to avoid the legendary locations as doing the regi puzzle is one of my favorite side quest. I've looked at the trainer sprites, but I'm not going to look at the actual models in the event they get released.

The only thing unspoiled is the story line changes which are likely to be minor

Apparently the storyline's being greatly changed. They're creating a unique Mega Evolution B-Plot, a Lati@s C-Plot instead of making it post-game, and hinting at another C-Plot with Tabitha possibly overthrowing Maxie in Team Magma. They're obviously keeping the same basic storyline, but everything else is being revamped.

Noooooooo!!!!!!! Please do not elaborate more. Or hide it through Spoiler wraps!! Pleaaaassseee!!!!!

I don't like all of the info coming out so soon. I want to have some sort of surprise going into this game. I don't mind some spoilers, especially when I'm looking for selling points, but trainer rosters? Wild Pokemon distribution? Those are things that I like to find out for myself.

Same here. Though I know spoilers are already part of every new game, but still, this kind of thing should be treated as teasers..not spoilers.

It really isn't everyone else's responsibility that you don't want to learn the information. Nobody makes you click on The Mega Evolution Thread that is clearly going to be discussing the actual megas and their strategy instead of making guesses about things they know aren't true. Not everyone plays the game the same way.
The burden of responsibility is too ridiculous either way. Think of it like this: whenever there was a new Harry Potter book that was coming out, there were practically zero leaks ahead of time. This meant that you didn't need to make any changes to your daily routine until the night of the book's release. From that point on until you'd finished reading the book yourself (which takes most people between one to three weeks), you simply cut yourself loose from the Internet completely. That was all it took. Mission accomplished: you've avoided being spoiled on the next Harry Potter book. But with Pokémon, where Game Freak releases so much information intentionally and where hackers release so much additional information that Game Freak didn't intend to be released just yet, we're talking a six-month to year-long period in which those who don't want to be spoiled have to make a choice: no Internet or too damn bad you're getting spoiled. And how fair is that, really? To ask people to give up the Internet for six months to a year straight? It's unrealistic.

And yet it's exactly what you have to do with our fandom. During the time between the first trailer (January 2013) and the games' release (October 2013), I had friends IRL, friends who have nothing to do with Pokémon, spoiling me on XY details that they had heard about from others. During that time, I had things spoiled for me when I would search Pixiv for the latest Pokémon fanart out of Japan. (I soon quit doing that altogether, from April to October, going nearly half a year without collecting any new fanart, a beloved pasttime of mine sadly put on hold because of stupid spoilers.) During that time, Serebii rolled out avatars for his forum users that included CoroCoro creature spoilers, spoilers I had made an effort to avoid seeing. What am I supposed to do then? "Not use Serebii for a year"? (Disclaimer: I don't use Serebii. It's just an example.) Imagine if that happened here on Bulbagarden. How would you like it if every third or fourth member had an avatar that was spoiling Generation VII for you when you wanted not to be spoiled? They would basically be forcing you to pick between two shitty options: go away from Bulbagarden until the game's release half a year from now ... or else take spoilers up the butt against your will.

Should people who like spoilers have to handcuff themselves for 6-12 months just because some other people don't want to be spoiled? Is it any more fair to them than it is to the anti-spoiler people to be spoiled? That's why I'm saying that what we really need is for Game Freak themselves to hold back how much information they release before the game is out. Because you can pretty much guarantee yourself that anything they reveal is going to be circulated publicly in forums like this one within hours of its unveiling. And so if the anti-spoiler fans can't count upon the pro-spoiler fans to respect their wishes, it falls to Game Freak to respect their wishes. Otherwise they're S.O.L. and are going to continue to be spoiled to high heaven every release cycle, diminishing the joy and wonder they could have otherwise had when playing a new game.

Back
Top Bottom