• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Realistically, which of your favorite Pokemon would be bad pets to have for you?

I think that Charizard, Tyranitar, and Mewtwo would be bad pets for me. For Charizard, its size and ability to breathe fire would be a hazard to both myself and my house while for Tyranitar, both its size and temper would make it difficult to view as a pet. As for Mewtwo, he is simply too powerful to be viewed as a pet. If I tried to do so, I would likely become his own pet, slave, or at best, he'd simply ignore me.

These responses have been great. Well thought out and fun to read. Keep em coming! I'll add some more.

Tyranitar: Sure, it would be pretty funny to set up a bunch of cardboard boxes that look like buildings for a mini-Godzilla to knock over. But Tyranitar gets the last laugh when it decides to smash everything else after blasting sand everywhere. If it can take out a mountain with one punch then it's clearly too dangerous to be near civilization.

Hydreigon: Worse than Tyranitar. It's basically a flying, laser spewing death machine that eats everything in sight that it kills. You'd probably need the above Tyranitar to stop it but that just presents a new problem for the city to deal with.

Garchomp: Somehow not as bad as Tyranitar or Hydreigon. It's oddly never been described as being highly aggressive towards humans. That said, it is a 6ft tall bipedal shark with a prohibitively expensive appetite. Even if I let it out every day to eat the local geese and coons it would probably still be hungry and I'm screwed when winter arrives and it has to spend all that time indoors.

Fire types in general would be quite hazardous given that they are walking fire hazards. Charmander is cute but open flames plus a house with a ton of wood is a recipe for disaster. Volcarona goes a step further and probably puts the whole neighborhood in danger when it decides to stretch its wings and fly around.

Ferrothorn: I honestly wonder what I'd do with it. It's too spiky to pet, it's not very expressive and all it would do is put holes in the floor and ceiling as it tries to look for rocks to get nutrients for. Probably one of the worst pet plants to own and that's saying something for Pokemon!

Aegislash: Just like Ferrothorn I'd wonder what I'd do with it given that it's a haunted sword and shield. It probably also eats my soul when it gets hungry so that's a downer.

Shaymin would probably set off my allergies something fierce.

Dusknoir...depends. It's not violent by nature but I have a feeling that the whole "ferries souls to the afterlife" part would get really uncomfortable since my new house is within a mile of a hospital. Also it's very large so it would be like having another person in the house and I'd have to set out a bed for it.

Torchic would probably be the best since a lot of people have backyard chickens around here so getting some stuff for it would be easy. However I also don't have a backyard, just kind of a small patio.

Designated Hatterene Tier for Hatterene Individuals:
Hatterene.

The Impossible:
If I look under Mimikyu's rag even on accident, I'm dead. Gliscor, Crobat, Midnight Lycanroc, Ursaluna, and Beedrill are overly violent. Golisopod can cleave through water, apparently, so that's probably not a good idea either. Lugia is both violent and impractical (too big). Snorlax has a lovely temperament, but I can't afford to feed it. Charizard is going to burn my house down. Volcarona will burn my house down AND kill me via oxygen deprivation. Flutter Mane's existence is bad for the ecosystem. Froslass and Hisuian Zoroark are actively homicidal. Iron Valiant is BOTH. I don't consider myself qualified to take care of lifeforms such as Lunala and Starmie (extraterrestrial) or Amaura, Omastar, and Cradily (next to extinct). I'll never have a restful moment again with Whimsicott around. Shuckle is pretty much mold, making it a health hazard. Whismur and Misdreavus are gonna make me go deaf. I couldn't possibly ever keep up with Mienshao's training. Gourgeist SINGS IN JOY while it tortures people so... hard pass. I'm a dead man if I accidentally piss Ninetales off. I feel like a dude having a pet Salazzle couldn't possibly end well. Looking into Shedinja's back even on accident will suck out my soul, and I like having a soul. Suicune would NEVER want to be kept as a pet. Clamperl is a deep sea animal, and I don't have the equipment necessary to keep it comfortable. With the Magnemite line around, ummm... goodbye appliances.

The Improbable:
I would do anything for Absol, but I'd rather not have one as a pet if it or my family is put at risk by people who don't do their damn research. :shroomad: Ogerpon might also fall here.
Zorua.... well, it'd be risky. I suppose I'd have to train it to learn the difference between appropriate and inappropriate times to, uh... replace people... but it is really cute, so, worth it? Mew, Meloetta, Shaymin, Celebi, Jirachi, Victini, Clefairy, and Togekiss fall into somewhat similar categories as Absol; I wouldn't be surprised if some overzealous individuals tried thieving rare or otherwise valuable mon such as those (canon in the case of Clefairy). The Dratini line is super friendly, but I don't know if they would be happy living in a house and stuff? Same goes for Altaria and Flygon. Chandelure is... kind of unsettling, as much as I love it. Sneasel/Weavile and Tinkaton are kind of feral, but I think I'd have a much lesser chance of being attacked by the latter. Lilligant is supposedly very hard to take care of, and I think she's happier in the wild anyway. And how DO you take care of Metagross, Blastoise, the Porygons, Eelektross, Clodsire, Tatsugiri, Mawile, and Stunfisk in the first place? I don't know how to recreate particularly habitable environments for them. And I feel like Scizor isn't exactly nonviolent. And I feel like Swirlix is gonna eat all of the sweets in my house within two days. AND as much as I love Spheal, that poor thing is gonna be way too hot here. :sadsola: AND on the subject of (Johtonian) Corsola, where the hell will I put it? My pool?! And poor Milotic would probably be cramped in there, and I don't think it would be an especially exciting place for Primarina to live... Deerling is gonna eat all of my flowers, too. Having a pet Mime Jr. sounds like having a toddler around 24/7, and I'm not good with kids. Eternal Flower Floette is a major sweetheart, but apparently her flower has serious destructive capabilities that she herself isn't aware of and... I don't wanna die. Kind of the same thing with Phanpy, but with its trunk instead of a flower. Lickitung and Lickilicky... it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out how that will go wrong. Unown staring at me constantly will get freaky after a while. I'm gonna need to have a LONG talk with Mismagius about its pranks in a similar vein to Zorua.

The Questionable:
Gallade and Gardevoir have great personalities and would make for amazing pets, but the issue is... well, they're just too humanoid for me to feel comfortable having AS pets. Gothitelle is in a similar boat, though it knowing my lifespan and being upset over it would be kind of sad. I'm gonna have to be really careful with Meowstic's ears. Purugly, Alolan Persian, and Litten are kind of dicks (I find dickish cats very endearing unless they bully their owner's other pets), so I'll definitely have to keep them very separate from my other (IRL) animals. Garbodor smells horrible, and I have a particularly heightened sense of smell, but apparently it stops stinking once you befriend it so hopefully it would work out in the end. Dustox is... Dustox, I guess? Emolga, Plusle and Minun, and Dedenne might cause some issues with my electrical gear, but they'd hopefully be fine otherwise... Audino would absolutely be perfect if not for its sensitive hearing; I would hate to accidentally hurt it. Terapagos should be okay, but uh, if it Terastallizes for whatever reason, RIP house. Lurantis may also be a "happier in the wild" case? Goodra is super cute and friendly, but I would rather avoid being constantly covered in slime if at all possible. And I would quite literally never forgive myself if I lost or accidentally stepped on Joltik, and I have quite the aptitude for losing things...

The Possible:
Alolan Vulpix seems chill (heh), but I am totally dead if its parents ever find me. (Thank god I don't live anywhere near Hawaii... or NY.) Quaxly and Minccino are clean freaks, so perhaps they can help me with my organization, but maybe they would just be annoyed with my executive dysfunction. I'm pretty sure Rowlet and Piplup like being preened on a lot, so that might be time-consuming... but I don't care, honestly. I'd have to be gentle with Lopunny, particularly its ears. I think Toxtricity would probably just laze around for the most part, which is... fine? I would have to exercise caution with the Mareep family and maybe invest in some special anti-shock clothing, but it would be absolutely worth it. Tepig and Torracat might accidentally set off my smoke alarms on occasion, but as long as I keep a close eye on them I think it'd go over decently. Same with Smeargle, but instead of smoke it would be paint. All over. (I have an easel I would gladly give to it...) I'll also have to watch out for Spinda to make sure it doesn't hurt itself... like, Spinda-proof my house or something. Poochyena is like a hyper, aggressive puppy, but I'm not too shabby with dogs, and supposedly they're quite loyal.

The Okay I Would Love These as Pets Actually:
Leavanny is a sweetheart and could probably help me babysit. Alolan Raichu just seems like a puppy (that happens to be a rodent, but whatever). Yamper, Snubbull and Granbull, Furfrou, and Dachsbun are actual (terrific) dogs. Pawmot seems like a great companion.
Actually. You know how I put Corsola in "Improbable" earlier? Move it here. I can just get a tank for it, no biggie.
Munna and Musharna could help with nightmares, which is splendid, though I would feel awful if it was at their expense :')
Cherubi will be just like taking care of a plant, yeah? But a super-duper adorable, cherry-shaped plant specifically.
I think the whole Budew line would also be great as long as you're good to them. Roserade may possess very potent poison, but it only uses it on its enemies, after all!
Wooloo, Wynaut, the whole Eevee family, Mudkip, Alcremie, Alomomola, Furret, Torchic, Shinx, Miltank, the Pawmi line, Skitty and Delcatty, Skiddo, the Snivy and Chikorita lines, Appletun, and Sprigatito are all here as well, no notes.

Yes, these are all of my favorite Pokémon. Leave me alone

Edit: I forgot Bulbasaur, Fennekin, and Klefki! The former two go in the "Love" tier, but Klefki is "Questionable;" it had better not steal my keys.

Last edited:
Good:
Having an Eevee as a pet would be functionally no different from having a cat, I imagine. Same goes for all the other small, fluffy, feline-ish Pokémon that I love, like Skitty, Sprigatito, and Pikachu/Raichu (I don't mind being zapped a little from time to time). Espeon is just a slightly larger cat, so is Delcatty, so no problems there. I would LOVE having a Purugly too, I wouldn't even care how cranky it is.
Bramblin, Tangela, Shellder, Naclstack, Wooper, Simipour, Scraggy, Trapinch, Baltoy, and Kabuto are all ones that would need some specialized care and accommodation in one way or another, but otherwise I feel like they'd be just fine as pets. Ekans is both cute and relatively harmless. Porygon and Porygon2 can chill inside my computer while I do other stuff, maybe? It'd be like having a little desktop buddy. I can feed them PNGs of berries.

Iffy:
Blastoise... oh this one hurts. On the one hand I would desperately want a big adorable kitty-turtle as a pet, but on the other I'm aware that without a yard of some kind I'd have no room to properly take care of it. Same deal with Garganacl, Tangrowth, Torterra, and Regirock/steel/drago... though is it even legal to keep a Legendary as a pet? ...What do they eat?
Lileep/Cradily and Shellos/Gastrodon are probably okay, until I think about how they'd get everything in my house sticky and gross just from walking around. Similarly, even assuming Muk doesn't smell like sewage, not sure I'd want to clean purple goop off of every surface 24/7. Umbreon would be perfectly fine... as long as it doesn't get angry for any reason and decide to fling poison sweat at me? Would Klefki be okay if I gave it a set of decoy keys to play with and just hid my own?
Cryogonal, Starmie, Yamask, Claydol... I honestly just wouldn't even know where to start with a Pokémon like that. I adore Spinarak and Nincada, and I don't think they'd be difficult pets, but unfortunately I am very entomophobic so I think any Bug-type might paralyze me with fear in real life. Porygon-Z I don't quite trust as much to live in my PC without injecting it with malware, eating my RAM and corrupting all my files, but if that's the price I have to pay for friendship...

Bad:
Dracovish comes to mind as the first really bad one — not only would it suffer immensely out of water, but I will get impaled trying to hug it (which is something that I would definitely try to do).
Kabutops, Ferrothorn, Kingler, Carnivine, Barbaracle, Revavroom, Bisharp, Metagross, Magmortar, Escavalier, Victreebel, and Nidoking are all a terrible idea. I would prefer to stay in one piece and not land myself or anyone else in the hospital playing with them. Cloyster, even ignoring the fact it might need a large tank to live in, would be a bit too intimidating even for me due to the risk of being clamped.
Regieleki, Electivire, and the Magnemite line are all a massive electrical hazard just waiting to happen. Voltorb/Electrode and Pineco/Forretress come with a risk of sudden explosion. Glimmora is basically like having asbestos for a pet. And I would be so happy to have my own Slugma, but like... it's Slugma. Goodbye floor?

Impossible: Wailord.
...also Weezing. I have respiratory issues. I will not keep a living pollution and smog machine in my tiny little room. :p

Absolutely:
I feel like I could manage an Altaria in my life, honestly! They're listed at around 3 feet tall, but I know they can tuck in their fluff pretty nicely... as long as she has enough space I think it'd be okay. I'd have to watch out for her singing in the middle of the night I think, but given they're very calm (usually) Pokemon it would be okay. She could also ferry me to uni which... would be very appreciated, and much more fun than taking the train.

Jirachi sleep a lot. The way to wake them up is apparently through singing to it 'in a voice of purity', which I think my hypothetical Altaria could easily take care of! From then, I would wish for infinite wishes (lol), then for her to stay awake forever... easy way to keep her around for a while. Jirachi are quite tiny, but very strong, and I think they'd make very kind companions.

Anything Eevee is a cat-dog-fox-hybrid-thing, and Sylveon is no exception. I'd have no worries about taking care of one, so long as she is nice and calm...

Rotom would be extremely useful around the house, so I desperately want one LOL.....

Maybe
As much as it pains me to say this (especially because we already have one), I'm not too sure about Pumpkaboo? They have been said to carry wandering spirits to the place where they belong... I'm not sure if that would be dangerous for me or not, though. But aside from that, Pumpkaboo are like hybrids between cats and pumpkins, so I think they'd be pretty calm. I believe the one we have is a Small Size, but I'd have to check with @Blanc to make sure... all in all, as long as I won't be taken in the middle of the night, I think a Pumpkaboo would be great.

I would love to have a little Joltik friend, don't get me wrong, but I'd be super worried about losing it, accidentially stepping on it or otherwise hurting it because it's a very small creature... they tend to feed on electricity, so as long as I have a spare USB charger I can set off as a feeding station it should be okay. I guess they'd be pretty low-maintenance, though...

Alolan Raichu would be a joy to have around, though I feel like I'd end up making pancakes more than I'd like to... I'm more of a waffle girl myself LOL! I wonder if it'd like bubble waffles, I have a bubble waffle maker here after all...

Delibird is cute and brings gifts, I love little birds like it so I would gladly welcome it in. It doesn't snow a lot here (just rain) so that may be a concern, though...

Not Great
Tatsugiri would be fun, but I don't think keeping one in a tank would be ideal, I'd feel bad about not giving it enough to do. It'd be hard to go on walks with it, too.

Same with Eelektross, but given they can go onto shore for prey it might actually be fine to have them? Eels are slimy, though, so I'm not too sure... I think I'd probably end up loving it in the end ehehe.

Oricorio would be too active for me to deal with, though they are very elegant.

Impossible
As much as I love Latias, I wouldn't want to keep her cramped up in a smaller house... I guess if she were to transform into something smaller it'd be fine, but even then I sort of wonder how great that quality of life would be.

my top favs r uhhhh popplio line, chikorita line, absol, eevee and pikachu.
anyways im currently living with my parents but i wanna move out so ill be thinking of this as tho ive already moved out ><
4 popplio and chikorita theres not much of a problem aside from potentially space in their final evos since i cant rlly see myself finding much of a spacious home. esp 4 primarina
eevees no problem at all. mayb if it evolves thatd raise issues but i personally liek the friendship/affection evos which none of those would have major issues
pikachu...probably manageable? so long as its well behaved
absol isnt much of an issue either but i dont want it 2 be sad when im gone... T^T
litwick would slowly kill me by just existing so maybe not

most of my favorite pokemon would be awful pets. munchlax and sableye would eat me out of a house and home, mimikyu could easily kill me by accident, most of my favorites are ghost types that would steal my soul or terrorize the neighborhood, honestly the best pet for me to have would be a skitty

Back
Top Bottom