• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Generation VI: The Future

What will it be?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
With all the loose ends and teasings, I'm still expecting a DLC kind of thing, not paid but as a patch. Wouldn't really make sense to have all the Hoopa things (Mirage Spots, Prison Bottle) in ORAS but nothing else, no actual event/story.

@SilkTree I wanted to know, because given that ORAS has already been released after XY, and that it the information you all have so generously provided suggests that it is vanishingly rare for GF to hold events for a pokemon game when a new game is already out, then it follows that an event DLC for Pokemon XY (as some people have suggested as a possible thing that might happen to tie up loose ends in XY) seems not to hold much water.

Basically GF more or less doesn't hold events for games that aren't the most recent release, so say so long to your dreams of a Z Episode in XY via DLC.

@SilkTree I wanted to know, because given that ORAS has already been released after XY, and that it the information you all have so generously provided suggests that it is vanishingly rare for GF to hold events for a pokemon game when a new game is already out, then it follows that an event DLC for Pokemon XY (as some people have suggested as a possible thing that might happen to tie up loose ends in XY) seems not to hold much water.

Basically GF more or less doesn't hold events for games that aren't the most recent release, so say so long to your dreams of a Z Episode in XY via DLC.
That's pretty ignorant, honestly. As I've said before, initial versions still get events after newer games of the same generation have been released. You can be very sure that Hoopa and Volcanion will be distributed to XY regardless of DLC.

And last I checked, DLC wasn't an option in previous generations, so you can't extrapolate much from what was done then, anyway.

How is it ignorant? Ignorance is being uninformed. I just asked you guys a question to get myself informed, and my conclusions are directly based on what you guys said. This whole thread is a place for extrapolation, if you don't like people extrapolating, then go somewhere else. Also, please stop being blatantly patronizing.

DLC wasn't available until recently, but come on, an event is an event. You pay money for some other thing related to GF products, and you get a complimentary something in your game. The things that GF itself have said regarding their stand on Pokemon and DLC (i.e. they don't want people paying directly for a pokemon, as it would ruin the spirit of their games), suggests to me that if there is something like DLC, it would be as an encouragement to get something else, and not something you just pay for outright. For instance you buy one of their products and maybe get a code with it to download the DLC from the Nintendo store. To me, this seems much more in-line with the kinds of promotions that GF does for pokemon, then some kind of download you have to buy outright. And as for a straight up patch that would give it to everyone without purchasing anything, that wouldn't make any money, so I don't see it happening.

Also it just doesn't seem to make much sense to make events or DLCs for games which have already been 'supplanted'. Unlike in other games/generations, there are outright new pokemon in ORAS that don't exist in the game data for XY even though they are in the same gen. Not only can the new mega pokemon in ORAS not be obtained in XY, they can't be moved into XY in any way, and if I recall correctly, GF has already released a statement saying there won't be a patch or anything similar to make them usable in XY. Hoopa and Volcanion's data is in XY, so one would think they would be distributed, and no doubt we will get them eventually, but considering Hoopa in particular is already being mentioned in ORAS and actually has a storyline of sorts, then it would make more sense for that distribution to happen in ORAS, or if the next game GF releases is indeed XY2, then that game instead. As for Volcanion, I find it somewhat strange he hasn't been distributed already, but I can only think they are waiting for some kind of anime tie-in to do so, (to encourage you to see the movie, as is commonly done by GF) but if that is the case, it will probably happen sometime between Jan-June, or it could cut into the hype for their next game, and at least to me it seems unlikely there would be a whole DLC episode for something like that. I would more likely just be a normal pokemon distribution.

Personally, I think it's possible the next game really is an XY2 and they may just hold Volcanion over until then and make it a main part of the storyline of that game. Assuming they are going for 'a game a year' as they have been in the most recent games, then if I recall correctly from previous releases, we will probably get something tiny around Feb-March, like the game's name, promotional image or two, and some basic information, whatever it is. Another possibility is, when the next game is release it will come with a code for downloading the DLC for XY, as an encouragement to buy the new game.

NoirGrimoir said:
I just asked you guys a question to get myself informed, and my conclusions are directly based on what you guys said.
Your conclusion from what we told you is pretty baffling. But if you really need to look at a list of events, this one shows that the vast majority of post-B2W2 distributions were for BW as well as B2W2.

The things that GF itself have said regarding their stand on Pokemon and DLC (i.e. they don't want people paying directly for a pokemon, as it would ruin the spirit of their games), suggests to me that if there is something like DLC, it would be as an encouragement to get something else, and not something you just pay for outright.
To me it suggests that they don't want people to just buy a Pokémon, which is the kind of thing they offer for free (with some hassle involved). In-game content that would accommodate such a Pokémon? That's a different story. In Ken Sugimori's words: "Therefore, suppose we sell a Pokémon for 100 yen, then we must prepare something that is worthy of that 100 yen, along with a reasonable consent for doing so. If we ever get the idea of ‘this could be fun if we could sell it for real-life money,’ or something similar during the planning of a future game, then perhaps we could sell them for 100 yen."

For instance you buy one of their products and maybe get a code with it to download the DLC from the Nintendo store. To me, this seems much more in-line with the kinds of promotions that GF does for pokemon, then some kind of download you have to buy outright.
I can see them releasing a patch to go along with a Kalos-related spin-off game. That would be an alternative to both a new main series game and paid DLC.

Assuming they are going for 'a game a year' as they have been in the most recent games, then if I recall correctly from previous releases, we will probably get something tiny around Feb-March, like the game's name, promotional image or two, and some basic information, whatever it is.
No game was released in Japan in 2011, and even internationally the gap between BW and B2W2 was 19 months, which is closer to two years than one. There is no evidence to suggest that Game Freak can't take a break anymore as they've done in previous generations.

And these Kalos games you speak of would presumably be promoted via a movie, and yet the upcoming one has no hint of Zygarde being included. As I've said before, Hoopa Unbound already exists in ORAS, so using it to promote another game would be pretty awkward.

Also it just doesn't seem to make much sense to make events or DLCs for games which have already been 'supplanted'. Unlike in other games/generations, there are outright new pokemon in ORAS that don't exist in the game data for XY even though they are in the same gen. Not only can the new mega pokemon in ORAS not be obtained in XY, they can't be moved into XY in any way, and if I recall correctly, GF has already released a statement saying there won't be a patch or anything similar to make them usable in XY.
ORAS have just been released and so they have exclusive content that is being promoted. Not adding the new Mega Evolutions to XY right away serves to encourage people to buy ORAS, but if they're added to XY down the road, ORAS' sales won't be affected. Even if they're never added, they have no bearing on separate story-based content. It's almost as if you're saying that they shouldn't even bother distributing Hoopa and Volcanion to XY. If Game Freak prefer to work on the next generation rather than another Generation VI game (a wise choice considering the New 3DS), but they still want to do something new with Zygarde, they can definitely use XY to do so (which would make more sense than moving it to another region).

Last edited:
Unless Gen VII is actually going to be Gen 6.5 like some of us speculated. Actually, that would work perfectly with the announcement of the New 3DS!
There is no reason not to release a brand new generation for the New 3DS (although it probably won't be exclusive to it), especially considering what happened with Gold/Silver (for the GBC, to which the New 3DS is comparable) and Black/White. They're already making all the Pokémon obtainable between XY and ORAS, as well as limiting comptatibility between the two sets. So I don't see what purpose another compatible game would serve.
So basically, when an upgrade of an existing handheld Game Console was released, Game Freak has to create a new Generation for said Upgrade; If Gen 5 was made for DSi, then that means that the Gen lifespan is every 3 years with two pairs of games for each generations. This means that Gen VI was already finished, and Gen VII and up with be just as short.

What I'm saying is that If what you said is true; then either they just expand the MegaEvolution mechanic and leave it at that, or that the "third" version is going to be as rushed as ORAS.

Last edited:
So basically, when an upgrade of an existing handheld Game Console was released, Game Freak has to create a new Generation for said Upgrade; If Gen 5 was made for DSi, then that means that the Gen lifespan is every 3 years with two pairs of games for each generations. This means that Gen VI was already finished, and Gen VII and up with be just as short.
Sounds good to me, especially if they use DLC to flesh out some elements. In what universe is 3 years "too short"?

What I'm saying is that If what you said is true; then either they just expand the MegaEvolution mechanic and leave it at that, or that the "third" version is going to be as rushed as ORAS.
I don't think most people would call ORAS rushed, and B2W2 might be a better example.

The new movie focusing on a previous release let alone a remake is unheard of.

Lucario and the Mystery of Mew promoted FR/LG/E (Mew) and D/P (Lucario), while Zoroark: Master Of Illusions promoted HG/SS (Celebi, Entei, Raikou, Suicune) and B/W (Zorua, Zoroark) so I can't see why its unheard of that Movie 18 might promote OR/AS (Groudon, Kyogre and Rayquaza) as well as X/Y (Hoopa, maybe even Zygarde).

There are some great theories on this thread! I'm going to go out on a limb with the little knowledge of Pokemon that I do have and say that the next installment in the series will be a sequel, X2 and Y2 much like Black 2 and White 2, could be wrong but hey... That's just a theory... A GAME Theory! (Yes I did just make that reference)

I love you for making that reference, honestly.

Actually, a trilogy idea makes a whole lot of sense, considering how many mysteries were left unsolved by X and Y. The last two series of games (XY and ORAS) have an interesting overarching theme in mega evolution, which previous games have not had. Add to that all of the weird hints/foreshadowing and unreleased content hidden in the game data, and at the very least it seems to be the case that Game Freak have a very definite plan as to how the next recent game is going to tie in with previous games in a relationship which we have not seen thus far in pokemon games. This is an interesting parallel, since pokemon bank was promised as a system where pokemon from the current generation will be transferable into future games. Basically all the games will hence forth be connected in a way that they previously have not been. I guess what I'm trying to say is that the next pokemon game was very carefully planned to be a part of the current series and was in the works during the conception of Kalos. Very likely the Strange Souvenir and other hints like the Ghost girl are very real foreshadowing and not random add-ins and are very likely to be resolved in the future.

The question then is the form that the next pokemon game will take. XY2 as a direct sequel actually seems like a realistic possibility, considering there are still some event pokemon for the games which have not been released (Volcanion and Hoopa) and story elements which have been left hanging (Ghost Girl, Strange Souvenir, Zygarde, etc.) In BW/BW2, Kyurem was another pokemon, like Zygarde, which existed in the game, but had very little back story, and was then fleshed out in the sequel game. On the other hand, Hoopa seems to have a significant presence in ORAS, which suggests that these loose ends could be resolved in completely separate games. Basically, as I see it, the most likely scenario for the next game are these:

- We get a direct sequel to XY, which will most likely confirm the existence of alternative timelines in the series, and within which Zygarde and Hoopa will be explored. The elements are likely things planned to be included in XY, but which hadn't been able to be implemented in time for release or were planned to be implemented in a sequel from the beginning.
OR
- We get a new region with a storyline that directly ties itself to the events in Kalos and ORAS-Hoenn in a way we haven't seen since Gold/Silver Kanto-Johto, (i.e. events in XY/ORAS directly influence the storyline and are frequently referenced) and which features Hoopa prominently. The reason Hoopa's data was in XY, was because the scenario for this game/region was already part of the discussion for XY.

I don't care if we get Kalos prequels, sequels, DLC or a third version or even a short letter from Masuda himself explaining every little loose thread as long as they're explained, honestly. I want to know about the previous team who tried to go after the XY legends before Team Flare, I want to know if the "faceless horde of men" on Route 14 was actually a horde encounter with Yamask or something far more malicious. I want to know about the Ghost Girl, and the abandoned Skiddo, and the Coumarine City train station, and the "Stay here, I'll go for help" message in Lumiose Station. More importantly, I want more Emma and AZ backstory, and some actual official artwork for Emma, who is one of the best characters in those games.

There's so much left unexplored and I just want to know what comes next for Kalos, and I'm not opposed to them revealing new Pokémon mid-generation like they did with abilities and moves and Mega's. I've been theorizing on that for months now. I know it'll never happen, but a boy can dream.

I don't care if we get Kalos prequels, sequels, DLC or a third version or even a short letter from Masuda himself explaining every little loose thread as long as they're explained, honestly. I want to know about the previous team who tried to go after the XY legends before Team Flare, I want to know if the "faceless horde of men" on Route 14 was actually a horde encounter with Yamask or something far more malicious. I want to know about the Ghost Girl, and the abandoned Skiddo, and the Coumarine City train station, and the "Stay here, I'll go for help" message in Lumiose Station. More importantly, I want more Emma and AZ backstory, and some actual official artwork for Emma, who is one of the best characters in those games.

There's so much left unexplored and I just want to know what comes next for Kalos, and I'm not opposed to them revealing new Pokémon mid-generation like they did with abilities and moves and Mega's. I've been theorizing on that for months now. I know it'll never happen, but a boy can dream.

I agree with you 100%, BlackButterfree! I'd hate to see Masuda abandon the loose plot threads Kalos, or any of the future regions for that matter, just because it would be predictable. You hear that Masuda? WE WANT CLOSURE, NOT RUSHED GENERATIONS!!!

I think they may throw us a curve ball and realease a Z and Delta emerald The reason i say thins is because it would allow them to expand on mega even more and fill in plot holes and include those 2 mon without diluting thre market to much

My final output is that DLC with a Hoopa focus will likely be what we get for both games. Perhaps the imbalance in the Ecosystem is in fact Hoopa blurring the lines between the multiverse, and thus Zygarde is needed to plug in the holes before the universe(s?) collapse on each other.

Game Freak Is Preparing to Announce a New Game

Gamnesia has confirmed that GameFreak is announcing a new game soon. It's way too early to be Gen. 7, GameFreak doesn't develop spin-offs so they wouldn't announce it, the official Pokémon sites would, and it's confirmed it's a full game.

As much as the evidence is against it, I'm thinking we're getting a final Kalos installment. I'm guessing Pokémon V and Pokémon W, prequels to X and Y taking place around the same time as Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire at the beginning of the timeline.

Masuda said they'd do something unique to tie all four games together. Or maybe the prequels could be in the middle of the timeline, in the gap between Sinnoh and Unova? That'd be cool, and would finally solidify the timeline.

Pokemon XOR and YAS. With Hoopa going mad and messing up the time and space continuum resulting in a crazy region out of all of them.

Pokemon XOR and YAS. With Hoopa going mad and messing up the time and space continuum resulting in a crazy region out of all of them.

Wouldn't XAS and YOR make more sense with the life and death themes corresponding to the beginning and end themes?

Gamnesia has confirmed that GameFreak is announcing a new game soon. It's way too early to be Gen. 7, GameFreak doesn't develop spin-offs so they wouldn't announce it, the official Pokémon sites would, and it's confirmed it's a full game.
They do develop non-Pokémon games. In fact, Tetsuya Watanabe was one of HarmoKnight's producers, whereas he was only a support programmer for XY and had no role in ORAS.

Also, in no way is this "confirmed to be a full game." Watanabe refers to it as a "project that will be worth checking out," which sounds too modest for a new Pokémon game. I'd sooner believe that it's DLC or a non-Pokémon game.

Last edited:
-__- Moving on, I highly doubt this is the end of Gen. 6 because of this article, I really do.

Game Freak Is Preparing to Announce a New Game

As much as the evidence is against it, I'm thinking we're getting a final Kalos installment. I'm guessing Pokémon V and Pokémon W, prequels to X and Y taking place around the same time as Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire at the beginning of the timeline.

Masuda said they'd do something unique to tie all four games together. Or maybe the prequels could be in the middle of the timeline, in the gap between Sinnoh and Unova? That'd be cool, and would finally solidify the timeline.

Well, on another thread, The Outrage pointed something out:

This makes me worried that Game Freak is just going to abandon Gen. VI due to it not being as popular. I'd hate for Game Freak to leave certain plot threads unresolved just because it would be predictable.

Well, on another thread, The Outrage pointed something out:

This makes me worried that Game Freak is just going to abandon Gen. VI due to it not being as popular. I'd hate for Game Freak to leave certain plot threads unresolved just because it would be predictable.

Gen. 6 unpopular? It's way more popular than Gen. 5 was and that generation still got tied up neatly with a bow on top. They wouldn't abandon Gen. 6 just yet when they can still milk Mega Evolution dry.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom