• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Generation VI: The Future

What will it be?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
There's always a chance that Masuda's reasoning behind lack of Battle Frontier is the same kind of evasive answer like he gave about Azure Flute in this interview. He said the item was never released because it would be too confusing and hard to understand how it worked. Seriously? It makes little sense given that other similar event items were released before.

The real reason could be that they wanted to keep Arceus' music officially appearing only in HGSS to make Sinjoh Ruins event more prominent. Battle Frontier or some similar big facility could be planned to appear despite of Masuda's statement about it, as it makes as much little sense as Azure Flute explanation.

PD as a sidenote, I really don´t remember, which games had gym rematches since Ruby/Sapphire? I´d be thankful if somebody put them here...
Emerald, Platinum, HGSS, B2W2 and XY. The latter two used special facilities, reducing the number of Pokémon per battle.

PD as a sidenote, I really don´t remember, which games had gym rematches since Ruby/Sapphire? I´d be thankful if somebody put them here...
Emerald, Platinum, HGSS, B2W2 and XY. The latter two used special facilities, reducing the number of Pokémon per battle.

Thanks... So basically, similarly to what I supposed: no rematches in first pair of games of each generation (XY being the exception), rematches in all final games from each gen, and no rematches in two out of three remakes, with HGSS breaking the rule, if it is a rule, which we will see from future remakes. Still, ORAS deserved to have it... although I dont really care about gym rematches that much, it just drives me nuts how GF leaves out easy to include features.

Last edited:
I mean, does a complete game mean LOWER sale rate? Shouldn´t it be the other way around? More features, better sales? Did Platinum and B2W2 sell that bad for being complete? I am asking this honestly.

Those games sell less because they're pretty much full price expansion packs. BW2 being the one exception, but even that's still a 2nd trip to Unova. The big selling points are always how much they added to a game you already played. For some people who don't care about extras or going through the game a 2nd time, it's practically a sideshow.

A new Generation grabs more widespread attention because that's where the hardware jump, major changes to the mechanics, new Pokemon, etc. typically come. So they can get away with doing less extras :T

Yeah, no. I played Ruby at the same time as Alpha Sapphire. Alpha Sapphire I beat in one week. Ruby I'm still trying to get past Mt. Pyre 9 months later. Trust me. The games have definitely gotten easier. (To be fair, though. It'd probably take me a month and a half or so to beat Ruby if I played everyday. But the constant grinding is too much for me.)
i don't think grinding necessarily equates difficulty, it just means more time wasted. i mean, i spent more time grinding in BW2 than any other game, but it's not like it was hard. once i got to around +/- 2 levels, i was still ohkoing everything with the appropriate type match-ups.

I've been KOing pretty much everything since 1998. But the following games were more of a challenge: Emerald, Platinum, HGSS, and BW2 mainly because of the battle Frontier and the PWT. That's exactly what DLC for Pokémon should consist of: a more difficult challenge for the more involved pokemon trainers. That's what I want in the future.

Yeah, not everyone uses the Battle Facilities or the PWT. I know I don't, they bore me. I don't like battles for the sake of battles, I like battles that move the plot forward and there is no plot in any of those facilities...

For instance, I get the feeling that some great features introduced in OR/AS are going to stay exclusive to OR/AS and we are not going to see them in the next games. Like the PokeNav Plus, for example. And OR/AS has no gym rematches. It´s like they are trying to AVOID a perfect game. Like they don´t want their games to be perfect. They leave features, then reintroduce them, then leave them out again, but substitute them with other features... Never having all the features in the same game.

The PokeNav Plus itself is very much Hoenn exclusive, but I can see them carrying over some of its features. The DexNav would work very well as an upgrade to the Pokeradar.

And was it so time-consuming and hard to include Gym rematches in OR/AS? Not that I even care about Gym rematches, but some fans DO... And honestly, is it so much work? Who (i guess Masuda) and WHY decides whether a game should have gym rematches or not? Cause I think such a small feature should be in all pokemon games nowadays...

Yeah, gym leader rematches shouldn't have been that much work at all. All they really need to do is build the teams and find a place for them to show up.

The real reason could be that they wanted to keep Arceus' music officially appearing only in HGSS to make Sinjoh Ruins event more prominent.

This reason makes even less sense than the one Masuda gave, there's nothing saying they have to do that.

Yeah, no. I played Ruby at the same time as Alpha Sapphire. Alpha Sapphire I beat in one week. Ruby I'm still trying to get past Mt. Pyre 9 months later. Trust me. The games have definitely gotten easier. (To be fair, though. It'd probably take me a month and a half or so to beat Ruby if I played everyday. But the constant grinding is too much for me.)
i don't think grinding necessarily equates difficulty, it just means more time wasted. i mean, i spent more time grinding in BW2 than any other game, but it's not like it was hard. once i got to around +/- 2 levels, i was still ohkoing everything with the appropriate type match-ups.

I've been KOing pretty much everything since 1998. But the following games were more of a challenge: Emerald, Platinum, HGSS, and BW2 mainly because of the battle Frontier and the PWT. That's exactly what DLC for Pokémon should consist of: a more difficult challenge for the more involved pokemon trainers. That's what I want in the future.

Yeah, not everyone uses the Battle Facilities or the PWT. I know I don't, they bore me. I don't like battles for the sake of battles, I like battles that move the plot forward and there is no plot in any of those facilities...

I've never been a huge fan of the Battle Frontier either. It always just seemed so tedious for me to really care. Now if it was like it was in the anime I might b a little more inclinded to like it, but that's just my preference lol

Personally, I loved the Battle Frontier in Emerald, to the point it was my absolute favourite thing in the whole game. But that was back in Emerald, which had NO online mode, and therefore no Online Battles, no PSS, and therefore no COMPETITIVE BATTLES. So yeah, back then the Frontier made me wow, however, after tasting competitve battles, I dont think I would be satisfied by any ingame battles the games could offer us. Online battles are just SO much more exciting... However, I wouldnt mind a return of the PWT, as I havent played the BW sequels, and therefore Ive never tried the PWT. Yes, its not going to be nearly as challenging as online battles, but at least from a nostalgic point of view, it would be nice to challenge all those previous-gen characters. I still would prefer online battles though. However, this is not a reason for not having such a cool feature as the PWT in the postgame.

The PWT probably won't happen again for the same reason as following Pokemon, they have to program character models for each of the regions that isn't featured on the current hardware. It was easy to do that for BW2 because every region at the time except Hoenn was already on the DS, but on 3DS we only have the Hoenn and Kalos models, whereas they still need to update the Kanto, Johto, Sinnoh, and Unova characters which would be a lot of work. And the further into the series we go, the more generations they'd have to update so the problem will just get worse and worse over time.

The PWT probably won't happen again for the same reason as following Pokemon, they have to program character models for each of the regions that isn't featured on the current hardware. It was easy to do that for BW2 because every region at the time except Hoenn was already on the DS, but on 3DS we only have the Hoenn and Kalos models, whereas they still need to update the Kanto, Johto, Sinnoh, and Unova characters which would be a lot of work. And the further into the series we go, the more generations they'd have to update so the problem will just get worse and worse over time.

But are you implying PWT is harder to make than the BF or do you mean they are both hard to make and therefore are unlikely 2 make a return? Cause I thought one of those would make a return in the next games (as a generation finale). Do you think its possible that we are getting none of them and sticking to the SAME Battle Maison like the previous gen VI games?

BUT!! Now they use character art for most trainers so it's not crazy to say they could draw all the leaders new art and do it that way. If they do it like that there's no reason to make a 3d model lol

But are you implying PWT is harder to make than the BF or do you mean they are both hard to make and therefore are unlikely 2 make a return? Cause I thought one of those would make a return in the next games (as a generation finale). Do you think its possible that we are getting none of them and sticking to the SAME Battle Maison like the previous gen VI games?

Good question. Hmm, well I think the BF might be a little easier to make than the PWT because of the character models, because with the PWT you have to work on literally dozens of them. For the BF you just have to worry about building the facilities and coming up with the rules, there's only a few character models you have to worry about. As for this game, I don't think it'll have either, I think there's going to be an entirely new type of battling facility added.

BUT!! Now they use character art for most trainers so it's not crazy to say they could draw all the leaders new art and do it that way. If they do it like that there's no reason to make a 3d model lol

They have to make an overworld model for each trainer in addition to the 2D art though.

The real reason could be that they wanted to keep Arceus' music officially appearing only in HGSS to make Sinjoh Ruins event more prominent.

This reason makes even less sense than the one Masuda gave, there's nothing saying they have to do that.

They made Arceus' theme releveant only to HGSS promotion, despite of the fact it existed in previous games, kinda like Mega Lati@s to ORAS promotion, so this reason actually makes sense IMO.

So Shigeru Ohmori tweeted about arriving in Boston earlier.

I haven't followed worlds in previous years so I don't know if this happens often, but him being there was well as Masuda could mean something good.

Unfortunately, I can see GF not even bothering to introduce another battle facility of any kind this generation. However, in the event that the Battle Frontier does return in some capacity, I could also see GF merging and altering some of the previous Facilities to either make them less redundant or to save space in regards to modeling.

Here's what I'm thinking the modified Frontier would look like:
  • We'd still have the Battle Maison for the purpose of compatibility.
  • The Battle Palace, Battle Factory, and Battle Arena will be merged into the Battle Tent, with their different modes and Frontier Brains remaining intact.different modes
  • The Battle Dome will be scrapped, since the only thing unique it has was the tourney setup.
  • The Battle Tower will be altered yo host Inverse Battles and Sky Battles, with Anabel specializing in the former and Tucker for the latter.
  • The Battle Pike and Battle Pyramid remain as they were in Emerald.

So, what do you guys think?

Unfortunately, I can see GF not even bothering to introduce another battle facility of any kind this generation. However, in the event that the Battle Frontier does return in some capacity, I could also see GF merging and altering some of the previous Facilities to either make them less redundant or to save space in regards to modeling.

Here's what I'm thinking the modified Frontier would look like:
  • We'd still have the Battle Maison for the purpose of compatibility.
  • The Battle Palace, Battle Factory, and Battle Arena will be merged into the Battle Tent, with their different modes and Frontier Brains remaining intact.different modes
  • The Battle Dome will be scrapped, since the only thing unique it has was the tourney setup.
  • The Battle Tower will be altered yo host Inverse Battles and Sky Battles, with Anabel specializing in the former and Tucker for the latter.
  • The Battle Pike and Battle Pyramid remain as they were in Emerald.

So, what do you guys think?

The Battle Maison is 6th gen's Battle Tower, so it probably won't show up.

They have to make an overworld model for each trainer in addition to the 2D art though.

@TheMonster6893 they don't need new 2D art, the Kanto and Johto remakes gave us art that matches the style of Hoenn, Sinnoh, Unova and Kalos. (Hoenn got new art 'cause it got remakes, but the style is still very much the same).

@Bolt the Cat if amateur fans can create custom models for Ash, Red, Blue/Green, Leaf and others by simply manipulating the Calem/Brendan/May/Serena models and do them in about a week or two, I think that the professionals at GameFreak could cook up a good dozen in one week. It wouldn't be that hard whatsoever IMO.

But they better do more than just Gym Leaders and Champions next time, if they do. I'd like to see Player Characters, Rivals, Elite Four Members, Evil Team Leaders and the Pokémon Professors, basically all the important NPC's. It's definitely a few too many characters for most people, but hey. It's called the "Pokémon World Tournament" not the "Gym Leader Tournament".

I haven't followed worlds in previous years so I don't know if this happens often, but him being there was well as Masuda could mean something good.

Ok, now I'm excited. Maybe? Does this happen often? I don't normally follow Worlds that closely either, so I don't know.

Ok, now I'm excited. Maybe? Does this happen often? I don't normally follow Worlds that closely either, so I don't know.

I looked into it earlier and this is apparently this first time he's attending.
I was trying to keep my hopes down but now I'm pretty stoked haha. It could easily mean nothing but things just keep on lining up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom