• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Generation VI: The Future

What will it be?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ash-Greninja could just be a temporary name. If it's coming to the games, the Ash bit will definitely be dropped.

I wouldn't be surprised if the new Pokken fighter due to be revealed this month is Greninja, with Ash-Greninja as its burst mode.

It won't be since Gekkouga doesn't have the "n" character that the new Pokken Fighter is said to have in their (japanese) name.

Unless Ash-Greninja's actual name does have an "n" in it, like "Bond Gekkouga" or something.

they didn't have nearly as many avenues to do so. or at least nearly as many 'safe' avenues.
They could've easily used corocoro, the anime, and various other tactics even back then.
hardly. tell me when it gets its own movie and an entire page spread in CoroCoro and not just a side-feature. Greninja is already the most iconic Kalos Mon and needs no introduction whereas Zygarde was the very definition of irrelevant until a few months ago. Hero Greninja is just adding on to a established legacy.

so...other....spin-offs.....?
Tretta only features canon Mons and forms so it being there to me cements its existence in the next game or games. New Pokémon have debuted in side games before so this is nothing new.

i'm not gonna deny that it's not a feature, but i'm not convinced that it is a feature. simply: there's no clean way to implement some of the concepts behind this feature and there's no reason for Gen VI starters or even just Greninja to get some weird Mega Evolution 3.0-type thing when they can just get....mega....evolution.
The same could be said about Groudon and Kyorgre getting primal forms rather than a natural mega evolution. GF just does random things sometimes that feel alien at first but people eventually get used to them.

Ash-Greninja could just be a temporary name. If it's coming to the games, the Ash bit will definitely be dropped.

I wouldn't be surprised if the new Pokken fighter due to be revealed this month is Greninja, with Ash-Greninja as its burst mode.

You're probably exactly right. I remember that when mega mewtwoY was announced it was a "new pokemon", then a " new pokemon forme, then it was a mega evolution, finally it was a Y exclusive mega evolution. Same thing here. Betting five dollars this is definitely something to do with the new game(s). They could easily mean that the exact greninja that Ash owns will be anime exclusive, which I personally doubt, and the new game mechanic will be announced eventually. IMO.

there's no clean way to implement some of the concepts behind this feature and there's no reason for Gen VI starters or even just Greninja to get some weird Mega Evolution 3.0-type thing when they can just get....mega....evolution.

I haven't really commented on Ash-Greninja but what you said above is one of the issues I have with this type of transformation/form change being implemented into the next game(s). They just introduced us to Mega Evolutions this generation and to just throw in another thing similar to the Mega Evolution mechanic would just seem convoluted and nonsensical. The first thing that comes to my mind is what the hell would they even refer to this mechanic as? They gave us Primal Reversion in ORAS with Kyogre and Groudon which was basically Mega Evolution with a few differences. Even then though it made sense to me as to why it was done if just going by the in-game story alone.

An idea that I had thought of is what if this is basically "Mega Evolution" without the need for the trainer to hold a Key Stone and the Pokémon a Mega Stone? I would doubt that that is what it is though because obviously this would then imply that it works on every Pokémon capable of Mega Evolving and there would be a bunch of broken Pokémon due to the ability to hold items. Unless the base stat increase is half instead of a 100 point base stat increase I could see things being "fair".

I haven't really commented on Ash-Greninja but what you said above is one of the issues I have with this type of transformation/form change being implemented into the next game(s). They just introduced us to Mega Evolutions this generation and to just throw in another thing similar to the Mega Evolution mechanic would just seem convoluted and nonsensical. The first thing that comes to my mind is what the hell would they even refer to this mechanic as? They gave us Primal Reversion in ORAS with Kyogre and Groudon which was basically Mega Evolution with a few differences. Even then though it made sense to me as to why it was done if just going by the in-game story alone.

An idea that I had thought of is what if this is basically "Mega Evolution" without the need for the trainer to hold a Key Stone and the Pokémon a Mega Stone? I would doubt that that is what it is though because obviously this would then imply that it works on every Pokémon capable of Mega Evolving and there would be a bunch of broken Pokémon due to the ability to hold items. Unless the base stat increase is half instead of a 100 point base stat increase I could see things being "fair".

It will obviously be similar to both ME and PR with a couple of key differences. What that could mean remains to be seen.
I think GF meticulously planned this generation out with a huge surprise to come at the end. Everything has been set up like a story this generation. XY was the prologue, ORAS is the intermediate that connects both regions, and whatever Z is going to be the epilogue with a grand finale. And the only way to top something like that would be a complete new direction for the Pokémon franchise especially now that they have the 3DS's technology down pat.

I feel like the Ash Greninja thing is a new game mechanic, with Delphox and Chesnaught getting one too. Though, all the merchandise for it is confusing me when I think about it. It'd be sort of pointless if it was just an anime-exclusive thing... But then again, Ash's design is similar to Calem's.

Also, not sure if anyone has mentioned it, but has anyone noticed that the way they're promoting Machoke/Machamp on the Japanese site is very similar to when they promoted Slowpoke? I wouldn't be surprised if Mega Machamp was announced, especially since we have Mega Gengar and Mega Alakazam.

I feel like the Ash Greninja thing is a new game mechanic, with Delphox and Chesnaught getting one too. Though, all the merchandise for it is confusing me when I think about it. It'd be sort of pointless if it was just an anime-exclusive thing... But then again, Ash's design is similar to Calem's.

Also, not sure if anyone has mentioned it, but has anyone noticed that the way they're promoting Machoke/Machamp on the Japanese site is very similar to when they promoted Slowpoke? I wouldn't be surprised if Mega Machamp was announced, especially since we have Mega Gengar and Mega Alakazam.

I thought the same thing as soon as the game was announced and heavily featured Machamp. At the very least it was/is a perfect opportunity for machamp's mega evolution if it's ever going to happen.

I imagine what Mega Machamp is gonna be like: Four arms? Double it!

It'd be sort of pointless if it was just an anime-exclusive thing... But then again, Ash's design is similar to Calem's.
because there aren't other exclusive things? Dark Pokemon and Break evolution in the TCG, Shadow Pokemon, anime-exclusive locations and 'mechanics,' hell, even event Pokemon make no sense to a degree.

also Ash's design isn't all that similar to Calem's; he's just wearing similar clothes. Ashninja looks more like Ash than Calem.

The same could be said about Groudon and Kyorgre getting primal forms rather than a natural mega evolution. GF just does random things sometimes that feel alien at first but people eventually get used to them.
though Groudon and Kyogre needed an alternative way to Mega Evolve for storyline purposes. GameFreak needed a way for the two to be able to access the same idea behind Mega Evolution and have it make some semblance of sense. there's no lore explanation (currently) for why Greninja and the other Kalos starters would get this over a standard Mega Evolution. and again.....clutter.

I think GF meticulously planned this generation out with a huge surprise to come at the end. Everything has been set up like a story this generation. XY was the prologue, ORAS is the intermediate that connects both regions, and whatever Z is going to be the epilogue with a grand finale. And the only way to top something like that would be a complete new direction for the Pokémon franchise especially now that they have the 3DS's technology down pat.

That sounds about right and cool in my opinion. If Z is the epilogue with a grand finale, then it would have to be something new and incredible for fans and I would be excited about that. All we can do is wait for the 15th but I keep expectations to a minimum. Whatever the big news Corocoro promises, I'll just have to accept it but a part me wishes for a game announcement.

because there aren't other exclusive things? Dark Pokemon and Break evolution in the TCG, Shadow Pokemon, anime-exclusive locations and 'mechanics,' hell, even event Pokemon make no sense to a degree.

also Ash's design isn't all that similar to Calem's; he's just wearing similar clothes. Ashninja looks more like Ash than Calem.

though Groudon and Kyogre needed an alternative way to Mega Evolve for storyline purposes. GameFreak needed a way for the two to be able to access the same idea behind Mega Evolution and have it make some semblance of sense. there's no lore explanation (currently) for why Greninja and the other Kalos starters would get this over a standard Mega Evolution. and again.....clutter.
I'm sure they'll make up something like they did for Lucario and Ray Ray. Though perhaps they wanted to make them special since the Kalos starters were more or less overshadowed by their Kanto counterpart. We'll find out soon enough this month or next.

In Pokken when Machamp powers up he turns bright red and his muscles began to sizzle.

Sounds like Focus Energy to me

Huh, calls to mind of one of DBZ's exotic aliens, almost (I mean it in a good way). I'm kinda hoping Game Freak runs with something like that now.

Dark Pokemon (...) in the TCG, Shadow Pokemon

I agree entirely with the rest of your point and examples there, but couldn't it be said that Shadow Pokemon are analogous to the TCG's "Dark"(/"Bad") Pokemon? The idea that they've both been corrupted by people who had them in their possession is quite alike -- Shadow Pokemon could just have been afforded more background by virtue of being in in video games rather than a card game.

I'm sure they'll make up something like they did for Lucario and Ray Ray. Though perhaps they wanted to make them special since the Kalos starters were more or less overshadowed by their Kanto counterpart. We'll find out soon enough this month or next.
? the only reason Rayquaza has a unique Mega Evolution (that is still Mega Evolution) is because it, oddly enough, works out for it. Mega Stone-less Mega Rayquaza adds and explains more than Primal Reversion Rayquaza. idk why you brought up Lucario.

essentially for GameFreak to have the need to create a Mega Evolution 3.0 just for Greninja and the Kalos starters they'd have to be backed into a corner with the story. that is, there's no way for them to create a Mega Evolution for them other than for it to not be Mega Evolution. you bring up the Kanto starters when the easy fix is replace the Kanto starter gift (because that has very little purpose now) with a gift of your starter's mega stone. boom. excess focus on Kanto starters resolved, Mega Evo 'dilemma' for Kalos starters resolved.

I agree entirely with the rest of your point and examples there, but couldn't it be said that Shadow Pokemon are analogous to the TCG's "Dark"(/"Bad") Pokemon? The idea that they've both been corrupted by people who had them in their possession is quite alike -- Shadow Pokemon could just have been afforded more background by virtue of being in in video games rather than a card game.
i wasn't trying to say they were the same. i was lumping them together with stuff that is exclusive to different media despite being fleshed-out enough (as far as Pokemon goes) to be implemented in the main series.

Regarding earlier ash greninja discussions, yeah I definitely think that there has to be some sort of in game counterpart for . I feel there is way too much advertising and foxus on it for the concept and design to be anime exclusive, nothing similar has done on this level, and they are being way too mysterious about what it really . I feel that this is gonna be the month we get answers to not just that but also Zygarde. Next month is when both focal points are properly in full swing, and they can't skirt around em any longer, or at least I assume they can't.

According to Damon Baker – NOA Senior Manager of Licensing and Marketing – we will get an important Nintendo announcement tomorrow: A 'Big' Nintendo Announcement is Coming on Monday

I'm not sure, if it's our Pokémon game annoucement, but the timing would be good. One week before CoroCoro in order to avoid leaks. Last time OR/AS was announced on the 7th May of 2014, so I have a good feeling.

Damon Baker is the guy in Nintendo who fought for indie developers and basically made Nintendo the go to platform owner for them. I hardly think it would be Pokemon that he is referring to, and the Pokemon company itself would be the one to make the calls.

I feel if its not a new direct for multiple franchises, then it's probably just the SSB ballot.

? the only reason Rayquaza has a unique Mega Evolution (that is still Mega Evolution) is because it, oddly enough, works out for it. Mega Stone-less Mega Rayquaza adds and explains more than Primal Reversion Rayquaza. idk why you brought up Lucario.

essentially for GameFreak to have the need to create a Mega Evolution 3.0 just for Greninja and the Kalos starters they'd have to be backed into a corner with the story. that is, there's no way for them to create a Mega Evolution for them other than for it to not be Mega Evolution. you bring up the Kanto starters when the easy fix is replace the Kanto starter gift (because that has very little purpose now) with a gift of your starter's mega stone. boom. excess focus on Kanto starters resolved, Mega Evo 'dilemma' for Kalos starters resolved.

i wasn't trying to say they were the same. i was lumping them together with stuff that is exclusive to different media despite being fleshed-out enough (as far as Pokemon goes) to be implemented in the main series.
I just feel that if Greninja were to get a Mega that Ash would've gotten it instead of Hero Greninja and the ninja village would've had some info on its supposed Mega. Again, I know I'm hammering this Greninja thing in but I can't shake the fact that it appearing in a game playable ( no matter what type of game it is) along side the Garde forms seems like a huge contradiction to what was stated about it prior . If it continues to pop up in other games then something's definitely up. Granted if I'm wrong then so be it. Edit- I bought up Lucario because its mega was the only one in XY to be given any sort of lore while even the likes of Mewtwo got nothing of the sort.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom