• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Official Pre-Pokémon Sword & Pokémon Shield Speculation & Leaks thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
it's confirmed that the switch game is what we get next though

the odd thing here is that if its true the switch game is still a 7th generation game, then that pretty much means that gen 8 development is either in it's really early stages, or hasn't begun yet

which means this game will need to have something substantial in it to carry merch/anime etc for the next two years.

my guess is kanto with regional variants of Alola mons, S/M characters appearing, new story

it's confirmed that the switch game is what we get next though

the odd thing here is that if its true the switch game is still a 7th generation game, then that pretty much means that gen 8 development is either in it's really early stages, or hasn't begun yet

which means this game will need to have something substantial in it to carry merch/anime etc for the next two years.

my guess is kanto with regional variants of Alola mons, S/M characters appearing, new story
I can't see the next game being gen 7 still... I CAN see it being a switcheroo with a remake instead of a new region to start, though. Different definition of generation, I understand, but going by the "engine" side of things rather than the "new pokemon" side of it.

Though if it's somehow the same engine on the Switch... that's equally disappointing, because you would at least expect a graphics upgrade given the capabilities of the Switch are so much greater.

...the more I think about it, the more wrong it feels to start Switch off with a revisited region. And I've already explained in depth a lot of what's wrong with it. It just keeps getting more wrong.

But two different finalized drawings of a Starter with different lengths, leaked online.. no way

From what I remember of the original thread on 4chan; the shorter version was part of an edit made by another artist to fit closer to their idea of Sugimori's style. I'm pretty sure that was it.

I can't see the next game being gen 7 still... I CAN see it being a switcheroo with a remake instead of a new region to start, though. Different definition of generation, I understand, but going by the "engine" side of things rather than the "new pokemon" side of it.

Though if it's somehow the same engine on the Switch... that's equally disappointing, because you would at least expect a graphics upgrade given the capabilities of the Switch are so much greater.

...the more I think about it, the more wrong it feels to start Switch off with a revisited region. And I've already explained in depth a lot of what's wrong with it. It just keeps getting more wrong.

to be fair, even if they were to use the same engine that was used for S/M/USUM or something similar to it, the games would still look nice as all of their assets are future proofed and S/M's artstyle would translate nicely to HD.

I hear you though, It does feel kind of weird to start off on new hardware with an old region, but I can see them spinning it as a "pokemon moves to home console with the region that started it all!" sort of thing. It'd be kinda poetic to close off the "anniversary generation" with the characters going back to the first region imo. It'd all depend on how gamefreak pulled it off.

a switch kanto game has all the potential to be a massive disappointment, but I feel like it could have the potential to be something amazing well. I'd still personally want a true 8th gen, but it all depends on how gamefreak approaches this

Who could have ever imagined that such a benign, unadorned declaration as "a pokemon game is in development for the switch", could have possibly proliferated such an immense aggregation of rumors and alleged "leaked" information before even the slightest hint of officially concrete finality? It is truly stunning, and no doubt a testament to both humankind's tenacious desire to both divulge and absorb information, as well as the endlessly burning love for the pokemon franchise. At any rate; one would hope that a massive sigh of relief will come to the hungry masses when an official beacon of hope shines itself; gently dissolving away anxieties, and guiding us slowly to the truth!

If the games are in kanto as a remake or sequel or older region but introduced no new Pokémon, would it be generation 7 or 8 ?

If Generation 7 is not finished and we do get regional variants of some Alolan Pokemon in the Kanto reboot games then which of those Alolan Pokemon would you think fit the bill?

to be fair, even if they were to use the same engine that was used for S/M/USUM or something similar to it, the games would still look nice as all of their assets are future proofed and S/M's artstyle would translate nicely to HD.

I hear you though, It does feel kind of weird to start off on new hardware with an old region, but I can see them spinning it as a "pokemon moves to home console with the region that started it all!" sort of thing. It'd be kinda poetic to close off the "anniversary generation" with the characters going back to the first region imo. It'd all depend on how gamefreak pulled it off.

a switch kanto game has all the potential to be a massive disappointment, but I feel like it could have the potential to be something amazing well. I'd still personally want a true 8th gen, but it all depends on how gamefreak approaches this
Well, part of the reason why starting off with Kanto over a new region feels so wrong is... the thought that you're going to start the first game on the Switch off without new pokemon? And then introduce gen 8 after? Meaning that the first game for the console would not have access to the new pokemon to follow, effectively segregating it from the next Switch game? I mean, sure, you expect a generation to have that sort of divide when it happens on the same device, but it's a little weird to have just one game that isn't really compatible with any other game on the same hardware.

Well, part of the reason why starting off with Kanto over a new region feels so wrong is... the thought that you're going to start the first game on the Switch off without new pokemon? And then introduce gen 8 after? Meaning that the first game for the console would not have access to the new pokemon to follow, effectively segregating it from the next Switch game? I mean, sure, you expect a generation to have that sort of divide when it happens on the same device, but it's a little weird to have just one game that isn't really compatible with any other game on the same hardware.
Now, there's idea that I hadn't thought to think! Hypothetically, if the Kanto title is a familial to generation 8, and if said title contained the "code" for a full new roster of pokemon (yet they are not present), such information would be in imminent danger of data mining discovery! Clearly, that would be an interesting quandary, and one which would lend itself, perhaps, to the ill advised; perhaps though, for the sake of it's honest possibilty, it wouldn't be unimaginable to ponder over whether Game Freak could "patch" the 8th generation pokemon, assuming the (possible) "Kanto revisit title" is programed similarly (or identically) to the 8th gen title? It does sound like a hefty job, I must admit, but in this our most futuristic of times, a hefty job which could likely be possible, and perhaps even rewarding. :)

Last edited:
Now, there's idea that I hadn't thought to think! Hypothetically, if the Kanto title is a familial to generation 8, and if said title contained the "code" for a full new roster of pokemon (yet they are not present), such information would be in imminent danger of data mining discovery! Clearly, that would be an interesting quandary, and one which would lend itself, perhaps, to the ill advised; perhaps though, for the sake of it's honest possibilty, it wouldn't be unimaginable to ponder over whether Game Freak could "patch" the 8th generation pokemon, assuming the (possible) "Kanto revisit title" is programed similarly (or identically) to the 8th gen title? It does sound like a hefty job, I must admit, but in this our most futuristic of times, a hefty job with a rewarding outcome. :)
I know it's dangerous at this point to say that "it hasn't been done before" so there is certainly that possibility. Does that mean that all future installments will feature a back port of pokemon, however? You'd think there would have to be a cut off point, since new pokemon is part of the incentive to buy a new game, so... if you don't have to get the new title to get access to new pokemon and can just trade for whatever you can't catch... kinda sounds like a marketing issue.

Who could have ever imagined that such a benign, unadorned declaration as "a pokemon game is in development for the switch", could have possibly proliferated such an immense aggregation of rumors and alleged "leaked" information before even the slightest hint of officially concrete finality? It is truly stunning, and no doubt a testament to both humankind's tenacious desire to both divulge and absorb information, as well as the endlessly burning love for the pokemon franchise. At any rate; one would hope that a massive sigh of relief will come to the hungry masses when an official beacon of hope shines itself; gently dissolving away anxieties, and guiding us slowly to the truth!
You literally tried to squeeze as many complex words as you could in that paragraph didn’t you...

I don’t think a Kanto remake is likely at this stage. Not because they “never start with a remake” or anything like that, but because the 25th anniversary is coming soon and since 25 is more important, I could see them holding off a Kanto Remake until 2021.

I still feel like Sinnoh remake is more likely to happen because that’s the next remake in line, some timeline patterns line up, and all the Sinnoh references in Sun/Moon. There are a lot and Sun/Moon go hand in hand with Diamond and Pearl. Even Cyrus and Cynthia mean “Sun and Moon” plus there is Sylvally, the Alola map clouds people claim look like Dialga and Palkia and as people mentioned, Mega Blaziken in X/Y = Ruby/Sapphire remake, and Munchlax event for Sun/Moon.

Plus it would allow for Zeraora to get a new form or something like that, and maybe we could even get “Sinnoh Regional Variants” And lots of ties to Ultra Space

I don’t think a Kanto remake is likely at this stage. Not because they “never start with a remake” or anything like that, but because the 25th anniversary is coming soon and since 25 is more important, I could see them holding off a Kanto Remake until 2021.

I still feel like Sinnoh remake is more likely to happen because that’s the next remake in line, some timeline patterns line up, and all the Sinnoh references in Sun/Moon. There are a lot and Sun/Moon go hand in hand with Diamond and Pearl. Even Cyrus and Cynthia mean “Sun and Moon” plus there is Sylvally, the Alola map clouds people claim look like Dialga and Palkia and as people mentioned, Mega Blaziken in X/Y = Ruby/Sapphire remake, and Munchlax event for Sun/Moon.

Plus it would allow for Zeraora to get a new form or something like that, and maybe we could even get “Sinnoh Regional Variants” And lots of ties to Ultra Space
We are at a bit of a fuzzy point as to which remake is next due, though, since the Kanto remakes are actually older than Sinnoh. I kinda feel like it could be either, with that in mind. It'll be interesting how this loop pans out with remakes starting to be older than originals now.

The Giraffe/Snake/Tapir was confirmed fake leak sometime ago as THIS was found (made back in 2012).

001- GRASS STARTER (More info coming soon)
Oh, just found a slight issue with that... it was originally submitted 2012, but the original file was apparently a zebra pokemon named Zebroot.

Not that I want to support it but... yeah, can't debunk it off that, the deviation was edited.

Last edited:
If trading is not going to be an issue, I want EVERYTHING associated to trading gone. If you really must, make another mechanic for evolving former trade evos.
Yas. YAS. BEGONE WITH THE TRADE EVOLUTIONS. I like to headcanon that trade evolutions happen due to the certain pokemon that evolve in that fashion being affected by the process of travelling through the machines. They could do something like have them level up next to a new Electric Type pokemon in the party that has some kind of new ability. That way all trade evolutions could be taken care of, even pokemon that have to hold an item.

Trade evolutions have ALWAYS bothered me. I don't wanna train someone else's evolved Machoke. I want the Machoke *I* raised and shouldn't have to trade to someone and then trade back to have my pokemon reach its full potential. It feels like "Hi little Machop. OvO I'm only keeping you until you evolve and then I'm tossing you off for someone else's Machoke! I NEED A MACHAMP AND YOU CAN'T BE IT."

Oh, just found a slight issue with that... it was originally submitted 2012, but the original file was apparently a zebra pokemon named Zebroot.

Not that I want to support it but... yeah, can't debunk it off that, the deviation was edited.
they have the exact same artstyle

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom