• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Controversial opinions

For example Silver being Giovanni son was a thing that was hinted in Pokemon FireRed but was confirmed in the manga.
The manga was its own continuity. It being confirmed there didn't mean that it was confirmed for the game canon until this:
It was confirmed in that Celebi event in SS/HG wasn’t it
Exactly. In the game canon, it was only confirmed in this event. And for some reason, the English translation cuts out Silver calling Giovanni "dad", making it harder for English-speaking players to notice.

The manga was its own continuity. It being confirmed there didn't mean that it was confirmed for the game canon until this:

Exactly. In the game canon, it was only confirmed in this event. And for some reason, the English translation cuts out Silver calling Giovanni "dad", making it harder for English-speaking players to notice.
The way they talk makes it look like they’re related doesn’t it even if Silver doesn’t say dad

Sabrina Surge and Koga were Team Rocket generals.

Also a Johto Gym leader was the mastermind behind the resurrection of Team Rocket in Johto.
Yup, that was Pryce, and Will and Karen were his admins (Archer and co. didn't exist at the time).
Also Team Plasma crucified people... Yeah...
WTF?

Yeah. One of the Seven Sages captured the Forces of Nature, which Team Plasma used to capture most of the Gym Leaders, who were trying to protect the Dark Stone, and once N's Castle surrounded the Pokémon League, they put the Gym Leaders on crucifixes as a display of their power. See here.

Yeah. One of the Seven Sages captured the Forces of Nature, which Team Plasma used to capture most of the Gym Leaders, who were trying to protect the Dark Stone, and once N's Castle surrounded the Pokémon League, they put the Gym Leaders on crucifixes as a display of their power. See here.
What's with Japan and crucifying people? Like, seriously, this is like the tenth time I have seen in Japanese media someone getting crucified.

I'm not sure if this is a controversial opinion, but I really don't understand this notion that Sophocles is considered to be a poor man's Clemont when they really aren't alike in any meaningful way. They both like inventions and Electric Pokemon, but that's about it. Their personalities are pretty noticeably different and Clemont had much more of a storyline than Sophocles did, even if they did basically reach the end of it by the end of his Gym battle with Ash.

Talking of Pokemon special...

I now I will sound like a bloodthirsty person but we need more deaths.

I liked how lysandre died in all the media specially in Pokeadventures where he had such an horrifying death in the manga and how he was desintegrted in the anime.

Talking of Pokemon special...

I now I will sound like a bloodthirsty person but we need more deaths.

I liked how lysandre died in all the media specially in Pokeadventures where he had such an horrifying death in the manga and how he was desintegrted in the anime.
I actually recall the manga creator saying that he didn't die. He was apparently just badly wounded.

The final battle between May and Ash at Terracotta Town was absolute garbage and an insult to how far her Blaziken had come. Let's go over it:
  • Ash starts off, launching three consecutive, uninterrupted attacks in Pound, Bullet Seed, and Leaf Blade. Sure Blaziken manages to evade them all, but with no instruction from May to do so, the feat falls flat. Even moreso, given what's about to happen...
  • Ash orders Sceptile to chase after Blaziken, who backs-up into a wall as a result-still no instruction, or warning, from May. Sceptile then connects a Pound, which scores more points than Blaziken did evading the three aforementioned moves (one of which it backflipped repeatedly to evade).
  • It takes May a minute and 12 seconds into the battle for her to finally give her Pokemon a command.
  • Probably the most egregious of all, Sceptile goes on to string together another series of uninterrupted hits, this time in Leaf Blade, Pound, Bullet Seed, and Pound again; these all connect, by the way. By this point, Blaziken has only landed one Fire Spin.
  • We reach the 1:00 mark and for some inexplicable reason, Ash and May are tied...despite Sceptile landing more hits and countering most of Blaziken's moves. This includes stopping its recently learned Blaze Kick with a Pound.
  • Ooh, another countering of Blaze Kick with Pound; May has still only landed exactly one move.
  • A Blaze-boosted Overheat fails to beat out a, quickly charged, Solar Beam. Sure, it was boosted by Overgrow and this is the anime, but still.
  • The result is a tie, even though from an objective stand-point Ash dominated the match.
Even as a kid, this fight infuriated me. Especially because we just came off the amazing high that was Combusken & Squirtle vs. Absol & Flygon. Blaziken should have offered much more than what was given, along with May; she treated the Battle Stage as a battle, rather than an attempt to showcase Blaziken's strengths and abilities through battle, while undermining her opponent's Pokemon. You'd be forgiven if you thought you were watching a battling tournament rather than a Contest. And while this is the anime, yes, you'd think Blaziken's type advantage would have done more for it than it did here.

Now, the argument could be made that Ash had the better performance battling-wise because Sceptile outclasses Blaziken in actual battling experience. I can understand that and that would have been a neat obstacle May could have realized she needed to overcome in order to win; while her partner is strong, it's at a disadvantage compared to Sceptile in that regard. Maybe that could excuse countering one of Blaziken's Fire-type moves with a Grass type move, instead of both its strongest Fire options. However, that angle wasn't played or was just poorly implied. The disparity between their strength shouldn't have been that vast-there's no excuse why Blaziken, with all its own battling experience, only managed to connect one hit, with all of its other blows being dodged or parried.

Now that I'm older, clearly the fight had to do with budgeting I'm sure; compared to earlier battles, the Pokemon, namely Blaziken, are quite lethargic and there's a bit of reused stock footage. Personally, I think they should have had the battle at a later point when the budget was better (have May vs Ash at the Oak lab rather than Pikachu vs Electivire, courtesy of Gary), or rewrite the script/screenplay/etc. and do May and her strongest partner justice.

I will adress the big elephant in the room and say the following:

I would like to say that nobody insulted or attacked me for disliking Go and liking Team Rocket, I also did the same never insulted a person who liked Go or disliked Team Rocket, maybe just an acid or an ironical response. Please do not insult people for having different opinions about an anime character.

I do not care about Go, i'm not invested in him, for me and I say again FOR ME it's a gigantic waste of time.... However we are not even at a 1/6 of the series maybe he will grow on me.

I never liked Pokemon Go and all that has come about it.

The series starting to get interesting when Ash found his objective.

I will also say that this never happened to me with any other character on the show not even Sophocles or Iris. Maybe I hyped myself too much with the whole world tour.

Back
Top Bottom