• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Controversial opinions

I actually don't mind Ash's Alola design. It looked weird at first, particularly in still frames, but I got used to it. Seeing him with more expressive and fluid animations looks great imo. For some reason I really like his look without his cap as well. It does stray too far from his previous ones, but I'm glad Journeys improved it whilst maintaining its strengths.

I actually don't mind Ash's Alola design. It looked weird at first, particularly in still frames, but I got used to it. Seeing him with more expressive and fluid animations looks great imo. For some reason I really like his look without his cap as well. It does stray too far from his previous ones, but I'm glad Journeys improved it whilst maintaining its strengths.
I think that whta made him look weird is that not only is his design a little more ''rounded'' instead of his typical ''pointy'' style (you can see it clearly on his hair if you compare it to say, DP or XY) and the eyes are a bit smaller and further apart.

It's interesting how even though that he (and consequently the anime) exists for over 20 years his design never changed too drastically, even in Alola. :unsure::unsure:

I think that whta made him look weird is that not only is his design a little more ''rounded'' instead of his typical ''pointy'' style (you can see it clearly on his hair if you compare it to say, DP or XY) and the eyes are a bit smaller and further apart.

It's interesting how even though that he (and consequently the anime) exists for over 20 years his design never changed too drastically, even in Alola. :unsure::unsure:
Yeah and Journeys improves both of those. In fact Journeys might just be my favourite design yet, because it combines the best parts of his XY+SM designs together. He's still expressive but also retains that sharp look.

I don't mind the fact that Gou caught Suicune tbh
Agreed. And I also don't have a problem with Goh catching it before bonding with it. Goh wanting to release it and it choosing to willingly go with him is pretty much the same as a Pokémon being caught after being bonded with.

Ash vs Hau was good other than the sleeping gag, fight me. (I swear I am not lumiose trainer zac)
I think it relied too much on that horrible trope where the protagonist's Pokemon can tank a million hits just to create tension, but the opposing Pokemon goes down in like, three. This is something that plagued much of the Alola League, especially Suiren vs Guzma, which should have been a quarter as long as it was.

1. SM is bad series and its comedy is bad.
2.Go is good character with some flaws.
3.Ash-Greninja deserves it's bond over Pikachu because it's unpredictable.
4.Serena is lovable character.
5.Iris and Cilan are good.
6.AG( before Battle Frontier) is ok at best.
7.TRio are not annoying
8.Go deserves at least half of screentime with Ash
9.Ash shouldn't catch any Mythical or Legendary( Melmetal and in future if he does catch Legendary) but him training Pokemon from zero to 10 is much better and rewarding.
10.BW is better than SM.
11.Ash vs Alain is better than Ash vs Kukui
12. Alola league is not real league because there's no badges and even James got to Top 8, Lillie to top 16, Principal Oak to Top 16.
13.Pikachu vs TK battle is overrated and many other 1 on 1 battles like Infernape vs Electivire, Torracat vs Incineroar, Charizard vs Dragonite are much better than it.
14.Just because Ash has beat Kukui with SM team that doesn't mean that Ash's SM team is the strongest. Ash's SM team is like 3rd or 4th in strength( not counting Pikachu) and Kukui is nowhere near E4 level or even Champion.
15.Ash's any newly obtained Pokemon and some Pokemon( that are not aces) that he has for one saga don't deserve to be E4 level, only his Charizard, Sceptile, Infernape, Snorlax and other older Pokemon do. These new Pokemon like SM, JN, XY and BW deserve to E4 later.
16. Pokemon's BW-JN era is copycat of OS-DP era and really bad copycat.
That's all I can think of now.

Not sure I understand. Can you explain?
Sure, I think there is some link between those two eras of series since BW is treated as soft reboot. I think it's also visible that Kanto - BW have some many similarities between each other. XY has the least but SM - AG and JN - DP have also some similarities.
AG- SM= Ash has won something big: Alola league and Frontier, AG has 4 people the most from OS-DP while SM has 6 most from BW -JN. Misty is both of them. In both of them they went to Kanto: BF and trip to Kanto. In both series Lana got Eevee that didn't evolve and May's Eevee didn't evolve until DP. Both mark first time in those "eras" that Ash has beaten Legendary Pokemon in a official match : Regice against and in SM it was Silvally I think in a league.( IIRC Ash didn't beat Legendary in XY). Both mark that Pikachu beat Legendary in important battle that was in the end of their sagas: Tapu Koko and Regice. As of JN - DP, there's no much but Go is like Dawn both of them were treated as co-protag with Ash. Dawn got one episode by herself similar to Go( just Ash appeared in one by several seconds but still entire episode is Dawn).

Thus, I think it would be a copycat and I find OS - DP era better than BW -JN era. OS was good, AG great and DP is amazing. BW was meh, XY was only thing that was good, SM is bad and JN so far is like BW meh. We will see about Journeys since it's only 50 episodes.

I started (re)watching DP recently and at the very least early DP is pretty frustrating to watch (to not say outright bad). There are a few highlights here and there, but overall the series doesn't live up to the hype yet.

I started (re)watching DP recently and at the very least early DP is pretty frustrating to watch (to not say outright bad). There are a few highlights here and there, but overall the series doesn't live up to the hype yet.
There is too much filler. Like, Chimchar joined Ash on episode 52 but still managed to be Ash's best Pokemon which is baffling tbh.

I'm there too, and while I do enjoy it very much, dang, they REALLY shoehorned the TRio in nearly every episode didn't they?

I'm not ashamed to say I'm straight up skipping the scenes where they introduce themselves (cuz they have to don't they?) and most of their battles. It's always the same thing over and over again.

I feel like the series really starts to pick up around after Dawn wins her first Contest/Ash gets Chimchar.

There is too much filler. Like, Chimchar joined Ash on episode 52 but still managed to be Ash's best Pokemon which is baffling tbh.

Well considering Grookey hasn't even appeared yet, Ash getting Chimchar at episode 52 is pretty fast

Interestingly enough they are both based on primates, the writers don't seem to like monkeys.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom