• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Anime & Manga General Discussion

What? It absolutely was done throughout SM. Just off the top of my head: There was one that led people to believe that Rotom would be leaving, one where it was implied Sophocles might catch Minior, one where we thought Lana would catch a Dewpider, and there were tons of theories about who would get Eevee just based on the previews. And that’s just SM. This is not some new thing in JN and frankly I really have not noticed it being done more often, either.

Some of the fake-outs are also pretty obvious. Of course Pikachu was never going to evolve or leave. Of course the Alola Crew weren’t going to suddenly become mainstays on the show. People have always taken short summaries and/or screenshots and ran with them. Again, this isn’t new.
I have quite literally never recalled an instance where they've explicitly put a Pokémon with Ash's party and labelled it as a new companion (and same with Gou), and literally modified footage voiceovers to switch around who would capture whom in SM. In SM people saw the posters or premise and jumped to conclusions while JN used deliberate misleading at times. Eevee's speculation didn’t have a base at all imo.

Rotom and Sophocles don’t really count for me because the plot literally relies on these being fake outs. It’s meta in that sense. The main cast was mislead along with us. JN has done nothing of the sort in the episodes people deem "misleading". Who did even think Alola crew would become a mainstay in JN?

I guess you might have a point but I’m definitely noticing it more in JN. I'm guessing that theybe admitted that clickbait is a part of their promotion strategy changes my view, and of course, the extremely deliberate modification of media during Farfetch'd/Sobble. That sort of thing is borderline inpredecented. The Mr. Mime incident also sticks out since it’s border lining on a retcon to not bother to use reserves. For all intents and purposes most people thought Delia owned Mr. Mime before that.

If I had to summarise my thoughts:
Has anime tried to use misleading to generate hype before? Yes
Has it happened in other series? Yes
Is it more prominent in JN in my opinion, and the incidents more glaring or "high stakes"? Also yes.
JN has by far put in the most effort for these fake outs and have admitted to utilising the viral culture to generate clicks and views. Case in point: Starting the series with the Pikachu episode which has been otherwise irrelevant. And again, I don’t remember if any other series has deliberately mixed up voice recordings and swapped around Pokémon in the dedicated party section of each character before.

Last edited:
The marketing for Journeys has been pretty misleading at times, particularly with Sobble, but it isn't a new development or something exclusive to this series. I definitely remember people being upset over Lana not getting Dewpider. People were definitely debating on who was going to get Eevee the moment that poster dropped. The backlash when Lana caught Eevee instead of Ash was pretty intense from what I remember too. It wasn't on the level of the Kalos League finals, but people were pretty upset that Ash didn't get it.

TBH, that was there own fault, since on the poster Lana was clearly looking at Eevee.

You know I was thinking recently that although I never did the numbers I'm willing to bet Jessie's Seviper is the Pokémon with the fourth most appearances after Pikachu, Meowth, and Wobbufett (in that order).

Is there anyone I could be missing? Seviper was caught early in AG and didn't leave until after DP and those were the two longest regions.

You know I was thinking recently that although I never did the numbers I'm willing to bet Jessie's Seviper is the Pokémon with the fourth most appearances after Pikachu, Meowth, and Wobbufett (in that order).

Is there anyone I could be missing? Seviper was caught early in AG and didn't leave until after DP and those were the two longest regions.
Probably Ash’s Charizard, but I’m sure Seviper is up there.

I have quite literally never recalled an instance where they've explicitly put a Pokémon with Ash's party and labelled it as a new companion (and same with Gou), and literally modified footage voiceovers to switch around who would capture whom in SM. In SM people saw the posters or premise and jumped to conclusions while JN used deliberate misleading at times. Eevee's speculation didn’t have a base at all imo.
I didn’t know anything about swapped voices; I was referring to just traditional scans, summaries, and previews. CoroCoro has jumbled around future party members plenty in the past.
Rotom and Sophocles don’t really count for me because the plot literally relies on these being fake outs. It’s meta in that sense. The main cast was mislead along with us. JN has done nothing of the sort in the episodes people deem "misleading". Who did even think Alola crew would become a mainstay in JN?
I would argue that the Pikachu evolutions relied on pretty much the same thing. But there’s plenty of other examples. And yes, people did believe that the Alola Crew would become regulars. I saw speculation that Lillie would return to journey with Ash and Goh, and she never even appeared.
I guess you might have a point but I’m definitely noticing it more in JN. I'm guessing that theybe admitted that clickbait is a part of their promotion strategy changes my view, and of course, the extremely deliberate modification of media during Farfetch'd/Sobble. That sort of thing is borderline inpredecented. The Mr. Mime incident also sticks out since it’s border lining on a retcon to not bother to use reserves. For all intents and purposes most people thought Delia owned Mr. Mime before that.

If I had to summarise my thoughts:
Has anime tried to use misleading to generate hype before? Yes
Has it happened in other series? Yes
Is it more prominent in JN in my opinion, and the incidents more glaring or "high stakes"? Also yes.
JN has by far put in the most effort for these fake outs and have admitted to utilising the viral culture to generate clicks and views. Case in point: Starting the series with the Pikachu episode which has been otherwise irrelevant. And again, I don’t remember if any other series has deliberately mixed up voice recordings and swapped around Pokémon in the dedicated party section of each character before.
Other than the voice swaps which I had no idea were a thing, I still don’t see much difference. Magazines have indeed swapped around party placements before.
I’d actually sooner blame news outlets and YouTubers than JN’s marketing. They’re the ones who are feeding assumptions and their own interpretations to the “viral” masses in order to get clicks and views. For example, I remember seeing tons of videos about “Pikachu evolves!!” And then, of course, it didn’t which was obvious. But the video still went viral and convinced people it would despite the actual previews not being anymore suggestive of this than they were back in DP when it was suggested it could evolve.
The tricky part is that I'm not sure how many episodes Seviper actually appeared in and going over 300+ episodes would be...a task. Charizard effectively got sent to the reserves very early in Johto.
Hmm that’s true. I figured BW made up for this, plus it’s few appearances outside of it being in his party. And if you count OI, that’s quite a lot.

1623343923659.jpg

Pikachu is for Ash
Eevee is for Chloe

Piplup is for........

1623306476868.jpg

:sneaky::sneaky::sneaky::sneaky:

The tricky part is that I'm not sure how many episodes Seviper actually appeared in and going over 300+ episodes would be...a task.
Don't ask me why, but I once completed this task and it was Habunake next after Sonansu by a clear margin... :bulbaWave:

ETA: Without going through the numbers again (ain’t nobody got time for that these days) if you think about it Habu was Musashi’s main battler for 8 years in a period when TRio shenanigans were a core plot of most episodes.

In comparison, Liazardon was out by OS 134. Even accounting for BW and other appearances, isnt Hikari’s Pocchama (who appeared in nearly every one of the 191 episodes of DP plus 8(?!) in BW) likely to actually have more episodes under its belt?

Last edited:
Most people want that they'll finally change the ending.
I totally agree with them. The Shit-ritori is already getting on my nerves.

Maybe we'll get One Two Three V4.....
Who will be the singer? It is the main guess.

Don't ask me why, but I once completed this task and it was Habunake next after Sonansu by a clear margin... :bulbaWave:

ETA: Without going through the numbers again (ain’t nobody got time for that these days) if you think about it Habu was Musashi’s main battler for 8 years in a period when TRio shenanigans were a core plot of most episodes.

In comparison, Liazardon was out by OS 134. Even accounting for BW and other appearances, isnt Hikari’s Pocchama (who appeared in nearly every one of the 191 episodes of DP plus 8(?!) in BW) likely to actually have more episodes under its belt?

I've used this link for episodes up to SM112, which shows that Togepi (as a species) appeared in the most episodes following Pikachu, Meowth, and Wobuffet.

Following those are Piplup, Bulbasaur, and Seviper.

I've used this link for episodes up to SM112, which shows that Togepi (as a species) appeared in the most episodes following Pikachu, Meowth, and Wobuffet.

Following those are Piplup, Bulbasaur, and Seviper.
Well someone is clearly better at counting than me :p I accept defeat, and DAMMIT never thought of Togepi! How is it that Fushigidane has more appearances though?! That to me is completely unexpected…

AHHH it’s because it’s species appearances as opposed to individual characters… So Satoshi and Haruka’s bulbs would be counted together…

I don't think Piplup is being caught by Ash or Goh. Piplup was already heavily marketed in 2020, but now tih BDSP, we know Project Piplup is a thing (Just like we had Project Eevee to correlate with Lets Go Eevee) and Piplup is generally seen as the cutest Sinnoh starter.

Back
Top Bottom