• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Anime & Manga General Discussion

I thought of something we can do. Let's predict or make up some episodes that we would want to happen with the titles and summaries of our choice like that initially fake Iris episode details on April 1st.
Note: You can come up with capture episodes, returning companion episodes and possibly some focus episodes including PWC and Project Mew episodes
Let me try to give an example of this speculation
Ep 71- Sirfetch'd and Rookidee! Birds of the Same Feather
Ash and Goh travels to the Galar region so that Ash and Sirfetch'd can do some training but they encounter a Rookidee who was kicked out of the flock because it lost a battle so Ash and Sirfetch'd decides to train it to get stronger. Will Rookidee get stronger to prove it's worth to its flock
That's an example of this speculation I suggested to make this forum a bit interesting. Don't rush; just take your time to think of the title and summary of your choice

Here's a Topic for you all.

Which Galar Pokemon aside from Cinderace do you think would qualify as "Shillmon"?

Like in Gen 6 we had Greninja but we also had Sylveon and to a lesser extent Braixen and Dennede

Gen 7 had Incineroar, Lycanroc, Mimikyu and to a lesser extent Rowlet

Gen 1 had Charizard, Pikachu, Eevee, Gengar, Dragonite, and to a lesser extent Bulbasaur and Squirtle

Gen 2 had Pichu and Wobbufett and to a lesser extent Meganium and Cyndaquil

Gen 3 had Sceptile and Blaziken and to a lesser extent Gardevoir and Ludicolo

Gen 4 had Lucario, Infernape, and Piplup

Gen 5 had tried to do this with Zoroark. Emphasizing on TRIED
Oshawott also deserves a mention due to Legends Arceus

While Cinderace is undeniably THE Gen 8 Shillmon, I think Sirfetch'd, Dracovish, and Inteleon might also qualify to some extent

Last edited:
Here's a Topic for you all.

Which Galar Pokemon aside from Cinderace do you think would qualify as "Shillmon"?

Like in Gen 6 we had Greninja but we also had Sylveon and to a lesser extent Braixen and Dennede

Gen 7 had Incineroar, Lycanroc, Mimikyu and to a lesser extent Rowlet

Gen 1 had Charizard, Pikachu, Eevee, Gengar, Dragonite, and to a lesser extent Bulbasaur and Squirtle

Gen 2 had Pichu and Wobbufett and to a lesser extent Meganium and Cyndaquil

Gen 3 had Sceptile and Blaziken and to a lesser extent Gardevoir and Ludicolo

Gen 4 had Lucario, Infernape, and Piplup

Gen 5 had tried to do this with Zoroark. Emphasizing on TRIED
Oshawott also deserves a mention due to Legends Arceus

While Cinderace is undeniably THE Gen 8 Shillmon, I think Sirfetch'd, Dracovish, and Inteleon might also qualify to some extent

Gen 8: Inteleon, Corviknight, Cinderace, Toxtricity, Obstagoon
Gen 4: You forgot Electivire (Was a shillmon for Paul at least in the anime).
Gen 5 had Excadrill for Iris and Krookodile and Pignite for Ash as well.

For gen 6, Inkay might qualify as well.

Is Aceburn/Cinderace really a shillmon in the anime? We have barely seen Go's since its evolution :( The positive (?) flipside to the Pokemon not getting as much individual focus as previous series is that there's not a single one I'd describe as being shilled (for more than a few episode arc anyway).

Can someone please explain to me what a “shillmon” is? It sounds like just a Pokémon that’s featured often because it’s a fan favorite. Is it supposed to be a bad thing?
It becomes a bad thing when the writers/animators overdo it.
As in overexposure, can get very annoying.

Edit: Though, I never got tired of most of them.

Even though Electric-type moves are super-effective against water-type Pokémon, you don't think that using them against Greninja is illegal in the main anime, is it? Why?

Can someone please explain to me what a “shillmon” is? It sounds like just a Pokémon that’s featured often because it’s a fan favorite. Is it supposed to be a bad thing?
Whatever you call Charizard and Greninja.

That's a Shillmon.

A Pokemon who gets shilled (overexposed) usually by the Marketing or the Anime.
Or just Pokemon that the either Gamefreak, TPCi, or OLM favors more than others

9 times out of 10 these kinds of Pokemon have a high chance of ending up in games like Smash Bros or Pokken Tournament

Oh right.

Impopular opinion incoming.
The only one I still don't like is Lizardon.
Come on, producers, drop it.

tbh, I think that the only Pokemon I'd count as true shillmons as far as anime marketing goes would be Charizard (as a species), Greninja, and Infernape (Ash's exclusively). If only because nothing else has been glorified to the extent that these guys have been. You could make an argument for Ash's Pikachu, but his case actually varies from region to region: he was definitely a shillmon during Kanto and in Unova, as well as chunks of Journeys, but in other regions he either takes a backseat to a different shillmon (most notably Sinnoh and Kalos), or the screentime between Ash's Pokemon is more or less roughly equal. You could also make an argument for Lucario and the Eevee line, but the former stopped being portrayed as the awesomest thing ever as soon as Ash finally overcame Korrina's Mega Lucario and more or less became simply just another really cool popular mon (not to mention that Ash's Lucario has faded into the background like basically all his Journeys Pokemon). The Eevee line, meanwhile, tends to have oddly subdued prominence in the anime despite Eevee itself being the most repeatedly caught species, since Eevees tend to be no more special than the rest of their teammates (I certainly don't remember May's or Serena's Eevees getting put on pedestals, while Sandy actually played second fiddle to Lana's Primarina), and there's never really been a case of an Eevee or Eeveelution overshadowing the rest of its teammates for an entire saga: the closest we've gotten to that is Chloe's Eevee in Journeys being much more prominent than Yamper, but even that example is largely mitigated by the fact that Chloe herself doesn't appear every episode and doesn't really do much of anything on the times she does show up, meaning in the end Eevee gets shafted too.

Charizard as a species is overdone throughout media, although I didn’t mind Ash’s in particular other than the Kanto league.

Greninja I also didn’t mind. I liked its arc, it’s gimmick was made available in the games, and it worked well with Ash’s character in XY. I disliked that it lost the league and that it was released, though.

Infernape’s story line was one I also enjoyed even if it was a bit rushed towards the end of DP.

Eevee I actually agree has been a bit overdone (mostly I just was not a fan of Sandy doing nothing whatsoever). But it usually evolves or has something to set it apart each time, so I’m cool with it.

Pikachu is a given.

Lucario is also a bit overdone. I’m probably a bit biased because of Cameron’s. It has really fallen from its almost legendary-like status from gen 3 when it was first revealed. I do like Ash’s Lucario and I feel it has potential.

Cinderace I don’t really see as much of a “shillmon”.

Meowth is another given. It’s a main character.

Wobbuffet is hilarious and they can “shill” it as much as they want for all I care. Well-deserved.

Maybe Darkrai? Again, mostly no qualms from me for it though the Darkrai in XY was extremely random and kind of unnecessary.

Piplup I always loved lol same with Togepi even though I wish it wasn’t released…

Mewtwo has had terrific storylines so far.

Rowlet is one of my favorite Pokémon so I have bias there.

Anything else?

Charizard as a species is overdone throughout media, although I didn’t mind Ash’s in particular other than the Kanto league.

Greninja I also didn’t mind. I liked its arc, it’s gimmick was made available in the games, and it worked well with Ash’s character in XY. I disliked that it lost the league and that it was released, though.

Lucario is also a bit overdone. I’m probably a bit biased because of Cameron’s. It has really fallen from its almost legendary-like status from gen 3 when it was first revealed. I do like Ash’s Lucario and I feel it has potential.
I disagree with Lizardon, my dislike includes Satoshi's and I think that it didn't deserve to reappear.

Gekkouga is my favourite, I was mad that it ended up losing and released.
I love it so much that I wouldn't mind if they bring it back and overshadows everything else.

Have a love-hate relationship with Lucario......
I like it as a species, and in the games.
But the anime portrayals tend to bug me because they're repetitive.
All Lucario in the anime are the calm and collected type, like they're codified.
Impopular opinion: My favourite is Kotetsu's because it retained its personality.

I disagree with Lizardon, my dislike includes Satoshi's and I think that it didn't deserve to reappear.

Gekkouga is my favourite, I was mad that it ended up losing and released.
I love it so much that I wouldn't mind if they bring it back and overshadows everything else.

Have a love-hate relationship with Lucario......
I like it as a species, and in the games.
But the anime portrayals tend to bug me because they're repetitive.
All Lucario in the anime are the calm and collected type, like they're codified.
Impopular opinion: My favourite is Kotetsu's because it retained its personality.
Normally I’d agree, but I think BW was becoming so stagnant and boring that Charizard returning was something much needed. It also brought some closure as to where in the world it was until that point.

Not to say this couldn’t have been accomplished by a different Pokémon, but Charizard being picked was fine with me. Bear in mind that Gen 4, Gen 5, and most of Gen 3 (other than Noland and Brandon battles) hardly featured Charizard as a species at all compared to Gens 6-8. So I was more open to seeing it again.

I do agree with you on Lucario, though I would say that Korrina’s at least had that uncontrollable anger quirk. But for the most part they’re all the same. Actually, the anime has a habit of doing this for many Pokémon species. But I think under Ash it has more potential than ever before.

I do agree with you on Lucario, though I would say that Korrina’s at least had that uncontrollable anger quirk. But for the most part they’re all the same. Actually, the anime has a habit of doing this for many Pokémon species. But I think under Ash it has more potential than ever before.
If only Ash's Journeys team -Lucario included- wasn't so underdeveloped across the board... like, yeah, Lucario is almost certainly going to pick up the slack when Bea returns and because of the two Sinnoh-focused games coming out, but until then it feels like things are fairly aimless. And even then, while Lucario does have at least a near-guaranteed failsafe in the screentime department, the others aren't so lucky, so who knows how they'll be handled in the long run. For now I will say that I haven't been pleased with the way Ash's team has been done so far. Which really sucks because this is by far the most unique team he's ever had and is packed to the brim with fan favorites, so one would think effort would be put into it...

I’m inclined to call Pikachu the shillmon of Journeys because it’s the only Pokémon the writers have bothered to give focus outside of evolution episodes and one or two focus episodes of other Pokémon.
Eevee and surprisingly Grookey have had episodes that didn't involve evolution

If only Ash's Journeys team -Lucario included- wasn't so underdeveloped across the board... like, yeah, Lucario is almost certainly going to pick up the slack when Bea returns and because of the two Sinnoh-focused games coming out, but until then it feels like things are fairly aimless. And even then, while Lucario does have at least a near-guaranteed failsafe in the screentime department, the others aren't so lucky, so who knows how they'll be handled in the long run. For now I will say that I haven't been pleased with the way Ash's team has been done so far. Which really sucks because this is by far the most unique team he's ever had and is packed to the brim with fan favorites, so one would think effort would be put into it...
This is why I really don't want Ash to get any more mons this series because the last thing we need is Journeys pulling a Black and White and shoving even more into the mix which will most likely send some of the team off to an early grave.

This is why I really don't want Ash to get any more mons this series because the last thing we need is Journeys pulling a Black and White and shoving even more into the mix which will most likely send some of the team off to an early grave.
But... but... my Ash! Hatterene...
cri.png

Ugh, JN did Ash's team so dirty.

Back
Top Bottom