• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Anime & Manga General Discussion

Ash’s Snorlax needs more recognition from the community. It is a beast and it is one of Ash’s dark horse Pokémon and in his top 5 strongest
Hell yeah it is. Snorlax took down both of Greta's Pokemon single-handed, at a type-disadvantage to boot.

In the old days Snorlax was brought up as one of his best fairly often, but you see it less now that he's been in retirement so long and we've had more regional aces introduced--and for all his power Snorlax wasn't actually used that much so he can slip out of active memory.
Still, it's telling that I think his worst showing was only getting one KO against Claire, and he generally averaged two.
Everyone who used a Snorlax in R/B/Y can attest to the accuracy of this portrayal; the big lug beat Sabrina for me in Yellow once despite being nearly twenty levels below her party.

It already has. Ash's battle with Iris already showed it's a power to be reckoned with.
Like CharizardFan pointed out, it has done nothing before or since. Palpitoad is more of a "primary water type" than Dracovish at this point.
"All power and no (minimal personality before 10 people jump at me, "no" is a literary device) personality" does not make a Pokémon good.
Except......it hasn't done.....anything since then, and that was almost 30 episodes ago now.

Snorlax has also used 6 moves in one battle. That thing is OP.
To be fair, he's not the only Pokemon to have used more than four moves in a single battle: there was of course Drake's Dragonite with its whopping ten moves, and then Hoenn Elite Four Drake's Altaria used five moves in its battle against Ash's Grovyle. If I could have a nickel for every time a character named Drake used a Dragon-type that knew more than four moves I'd have two nickles, which isn't a lot, but it's weird that it happened twice.

Tbh I always found it dumb that a Pokemon just suddenly forgets how to do a move (even if it's been using that move for years) just because a 5th move came along

Like???? I understand it's to makes the Games balanced but in the context of the Anime, I actually like that they allowed Snorlax to have 6 moves in a battle

Tbh I always found it dumb that a Pokemon just suddenly forgets how to do a move (even if it's been using that move for years) just because a 5th move came along

Like???? I understand it's to makes the Games balanced but in the context of the Anime, I actually like that they allowed Snorlax to have 6 moves in a battle
Personally, I don't think it's a matter of "forgetting" or anything. In the context of the anime I tend to headcanon the four move limit as being a matter of stamina or energy storage: it's not that Pokemon just forget moves, it's just that there's only so much energy they can expend on their moveset, so whenever a new move is learned, an old one needs to be replaced.

I'm not sure if that makes much more sense but that's how I personally rationalize it.

Granted, I do think that the anime should have just made the four moveslot thing an in-universe rule in that Pokemon have easy and ready access to every move they've learned but in official matches they're only allowed to use whichever were the first four moves their trainers called for and aren't allowed to use anything else for the rest of the battle, barring a new move being learned of course.

To be fair, he's not the only Pokemon to have used more than four moves in a single battle: there was of course Drake's Dragonite with its whopping ten moves, and then Hoenn Elite Four Drake's Altaria used five moves in its battle against Ash's Grovyle. If I could have a nickel for every time a character named Drake used a Dragon-type that knew more than four moves I'd have two nickles, which isn't a lot, but it's weird that it happened twice.
Props for making that Phineas and Ferb reference, btw.

I think trainers just avoid using more than 4 moves in modern battles as a mark of courtesy and its a restriction imposed by the league to just prevent participants from turning up with… say, a Smeargle with 500 moves. And to make battles more challenging with the moveset a trainer has chosen for their Pokémon.

OS didn’t follow that because everyone in OS is a jerk /s

Pokémon--even a lot of "normal" ones like Rattata--have things that feel blatantly supernatural like firing energy beams from their mouth or a cat generating electric attacks, so I just figure that they're ultimately magical creatures and the four moves thing is one of many things scientists have studied and still can't explain.

Hello? Anybody available can hear me? I have thought that Ash should've brought Sceptile back onto his party to use it frequently in more battles because Sceptile was his powerhouse Pokémon. That's all. But do you think that's false?

Sceptile is not being used by Ash squarely because it just hasn't been relevant for a good while. They are avoiding having Ash using old Pokémon like the plague, and Sceptile goes even further behind compared to someone like, say, Infernape, because it's a starter from gen 3, and they are supposed to promote Sinnoh now due to the remakes.

I still defend that Ash should be using his past mons in JN, but they are clearly not interested in that.

Back
Top Bottom