• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Anime & Manga General Discussion

How will Goh piss off the fandom this year?" :p

That is the question you should be asking

2020 it was Sobble
2021 is was Suicune and Grookey

You just KNOW damn well he's going to do something so be prepared

What controversy will Goh cause this year? XD
Goh realizes he still doesn’t have a Meowth registered and catches Team Rocket’s :wynaut:

Um, excuse me, guys? I thought that Greninja was once one of the most popular species of Pokémon among fans worldwide, but they hadn't actually appeared in the Journeys series, thus far. But what do you think happened to all the wild and Trained Greninja in the Kalos region in the Journeys series, including the one with its Ash-Greninja Bond Phenomenon? do you think they're still present in Kalos region? Or do you think the writers wrote them all out of script? Or what do you think? Why?

Considering it's huge popularity we'll probably see a Greninja at some point in JN.

Peak troll move is if we see one with Battle Bond but it's not Ash's.
To be fair, it's actually not that uncommon in entertainment media for certain abilities or powers to be presented as "unique, one-of-a-kind, and super duper extra special" when first introduced only to gradually become less unique over time.

We saw this with things like the Super Sayan mode, which was first presented as downright legendary and the only thing the strongest bad guy in the universe feared and which it took Goku a ton of effort and grief to even achieve, only for every subsequent Sayan character to get it with considerably less effort. And that's without mentioning the fact that it's been rendered completely obsolete by countless other better and stronger super modes (which would later on become obsolete themselves) to the point that the only thing keeping it relevant is the sheer iconic factor.

We also saw this with the Keyblades in Kingdom Hearts, of which there was initially only one of and a huge deal was made of it choosing its weilder and whatnot, only for basically every character and their mom to also get their very own Keyblade, plus the reveal that there used to be literal armies of Keyblade weilders in the past.

Heck, in the Avatar franchise this managed to happen to a whopping three "special" abilities: in the first series only the best and strongest Firebenders and Earthbenders could bend lightning and metal (the later was in fact even thought to be impossible until Toph literally invented it), only for the sequel to casually have a billion extras able to do both of those things (though to be fair at least the Metalbending was explained by Toph teaching other Earthbenders how to do it). And then there was Bloodbending, which was first discovered by a prisoner Waterbender who tought it only to Katara and the sequel series had three villains capable of performing it with far greater skill and control, and I don't think it was ever explained how that one got spread either.

So yeah, as much as it would make fans rage, I could actually see a Battle Bond Greninja randomly appear.

To be fair, it's actually not that uncommon in entertainment media for certain abilities or powers to be presented as "unique, one-of-a-kind, and super duper extra special" when first introduced only to gradually become less unique over time.

[snip]

So yeah, as much as it would make fans rage, I could actually see a Battle Bond Grenija randomly appear.
You're definitely right; I think this would be a weird example since Battle Bond makes Greninja take on Ash-esque characteristics to the point that the game explained that by it actually being Ash's Greninja sent to the player in the Sun/Moon demo.
(Imagine how much weirdness they could've saved if at least one Kalos Pokémon was able to Mega Evolve. I still can't wrap my head around why that happened).

Joking aside if they want to show off Battle Bond I imagine they'll just bring back Ash's for a bit; can't be too hard to have them run into each other if Ash is visiting Kalos and it would be another thing they could show off in a preview trailer to build hype.

You're definitely right; I think this would be a weird example since Battle Bond makes Greninja take on Ash-esque characteristics to the point that the game explained that by it actually being Ash's Greninja sent to the player in the Sun/Moon demo.
(Imagine how much weirdness they could've saved if at least one Kalos Pokémon was able to Mega Evolve. I still can't wrap my head around why that happened).

Joking aside if they want to show off Battle Bond I imagine they'll just bring back Ash's for a bit; can't be too hard to have them run into each other if Ash is visiting Kalos and it would be another thing they could show off in a preview trailer to build hype.
To be fair, though, the Battle Bond ability wasn't actually wholly unique to Ash's Greninja, as historical precedent did exist, lending credence to the idea that others could appear eventually and thet they might even come with their own unique looks. In the games themselves the likeliest reason why Battle Bond Greninja keeps its appearance based on Ash is simply because trying to design a Greninja that takes on the appearance of every single player character in existence is simply too impractical and time-consuming to properly implement, especially now that the player characters are fully customizeable. The anime technically doesn't have this drawback, but then again, Ash-Greninja is the most iconic look for Battle Bond, so yeah, it is the most practical to bring back regardless of other factors.

Having a Satoshi-Gekkouga appear, that isn't Satoshi's....

That fact alone won't turn the name/title into Artifact ones?

It may be better if only normal Gekkouga appears.
I recall that the whole species is popular, not just the Battle Bond kind.

Satoshi-Gekkouga not matching You's appearance used to be the source of mockery.

There is Diancie, but that's a mythical Pokemon, so it's not a Pokemon that would regularly appear.

Well, hopefully the Gen VI remakes will resolve this problem, by both giving more Kalos Pokemon the ability to Mega Evolve, and perhaps giving the other two Kalos Starters the Battle Bond ability as well.

I'd be happy to see more Legendary and Mythical Pokémon from various regions.

Interesting fact: Unova is the only region so far where not a single Legendary or Mythical Pokémon from that region has been scanned with a Pokédex yet, despite many of them serving notable roles during the BW series. Yup. Ash felt more need to rescan a Palpitoad that he had seen the episode prior than to perform even a single scan on a multitude of Legendary Pokémon he had never seen before.

I know that the main reason people want a new OP to see who will be returning, but I want a new OP because I am tired of 1-2-3 even though we all know the next OP is going to be 1-2-3 v4.
Returning characters are bad because this show ruins them all (except Gary) and most of them have nothing to do with the story
like idk why they showcased Iris in the OP if she only appeared in one episode and got her ass kicked and Wikstrom appearing for one episode that isn’t relevant in the long run

The problem with 1-2-3 is they've overused it. We've had remixes of openings before, like XY had V(Volt) and Mega V(Volt), but by nearly 100 episodes into XY, we had 2 more openings (Getta Ban Ban and XYZ) We're almost 100 episodes in and they're STILL using 1-2-3.

We have had Together used in more episodes technically*, with fewer remixes to boot. But Together just sounds more catchy (personal opinion, of course), and back then they also update the OP with any roster changes. Meanwhile, we still don't see Dracovish appearing physically in the latest version of 1-2-3...

*Bulbapedia counts DP002 and DP003 using Together as its opening theme when counting the number of episodes, but those episodes didn't have an opening theme during their initial broadcast. This means Together (both versions) was actually only used for 92 episodes, meaning... Yes! Once today's episode airs, 1-2-3 will be surpassing Together as the opening theme that's used in the most consecutive episodes in the Pokemon anime!

Holy fudge that is amazing and so so nostalgic in the way that they medley’d 4 of the songs most associated with the two of them* :cry::bulbaLove: Who is the singer do we know? Sounds a bit like Megumi Toyoguchi but surely not?…

*Although it is so weird Pochama doing Musashi’s bit during the ‘mahou no jumon’ line of Kaze no Message lol.

Back
Top Bottom