• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

'09 Pacific/Atlantic Hurricane Seasons (Closed 'Til 2010; See First Post For Details)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steven

is against stoning.
Reaction score
A notice to all viewers of this thread: This thread is closed until next Spring due to the official closing of the Pacific and Atlantic Hurricane Seasons for this year. The only one's who will be granted sufficient posting privileges will be I, Hikaru, and Hurristat, who has proved time and again to be a dedicated contributor to this archive. (Any others will be reported.) See everyone next Spring!!

:peace: *This thread is closed to all arguements and is merely for factual compilations and contributions, as decreed by the League of Neutral Posters.

2009 Atlantic Hurricane Season
2009 Pacific Hurricane Season

As we have all noticed, the Pacific and Atlantic Hurricane Seasons for the year 2009 are well under way. This the thread for the documentation of, and shall hopefully thus, continue with the documentation of 2010 as well.

With gratutitous regards to Hurristat, we will be provided with the .pdf file links for the reports for this year's season as they are released. You may find them below:

2009 Atlantic Hurricane Season

Tropical Depression One
Tropical Storm Ana
Hurricane Bill
Tropical Storm Erika
Hurricane Fred
Tropical Depression 8
Tropical Storm Grace
Tropical Storm Henri

2009 Pacific Hurricane Season

Tropical Depression One-E
Hurricane Andres
Tropical Storm Blanca
Hurricane Carlos
Tropical Storm Enrique
Tropical Depression Nine-E
Tropical Storm Ignacio
Tropical Storm Kevin
Hurricane Linda
Tropical Storm Marty
Tropical Storm Nora
Tropical Storm Olaf
Tropical Storm Patricia
Hurricane Rick

Last edited:
Re: Atlantic Hurricanes -- Where Are They??

Hopefully it's a dud year. That would be nice, especially since Katrina was enough for a long time.

I'm not sure and would have to check, but we probably have an El Nino effect at work.

That means the wind patterns over the Atlantic shifts to one that inhibits hurricanes (basically). Plus, June and July are never very strong hurricane months - around September is where it gets rough.

Of the last few El Nino events, three out of four corresponded to a noticeable dips in hurricane activity - 1997 season (3 hurricanes, compared to 10 in both 1996 and 1998), 2002 season (4 hurricanes, down from 9 the previous year and 7 the next), 2006-07 seasons (5 hurricanes, although in this case the recovery was more in 2008, with 8 hurricanes)

Last edited:

I would like to add also that I would have made this about the 2009 Pacific Hurricane Season as well, but I worry about my east coast moreover than their west coast =/

This is actually pretty typical of standard hurricane seasons. Nothing meaningful happens the first two months, and then all hell breaks loose towards the middle of August. It may end up like the year 1998, where nothing happened initially and then everything happened at once, and out of bloody nowhere a couple of mega superstorms (Hurricane Georges and Hurricane Mitch) thoroughly destroy something somewhere. (Hurricane Mitch is regarded as the deadliest Atlantic hurricane in 200 years, having killed anywhere from 9000 to 18000 people).

We also shouldn't let down our guard. The 1992 season didn't yield a named storm until the end of August. However, that storm was Andrew and it caused enough devastation to make one of the worst years on record in terms of damage.

We also shouldn't let down our guard. The 1992 season didn't yield a named storm until the end of August. However, that storm was Andrew and it caused enough devastation to make one of the worst years on record in terms of damage.

Another added tidbit: It was an El-Nino (I have no bloody idea how to get the little thing over the 'n') year as well.

2005 was a freak year. It was a La-Nina year, coupled with an anomaly in the Indian Ocean that prevented upper-level low pressure systems from developing in the Atlantic that normally inhibit hurricane growth. Thus, storms that had any indication that they might strengthen and become tropical did so.

It was notable that quite a few of those systems were Cape Verde systems. Katrina had her roots as a Cape Verde depression that formed, fizzled, re-formed, and exploded. I was watching the Weather Channel at the time, and one of their most seasoned storm trackers was awed by what he felt when Katrina made landfall in Florida. That's actually when I started to have a bad feeling about Katrina. I actually felt hairs raise on the back of my neck when I saw it undergo the eyewall replacement phase and bloat like a balloon. I knew it was going to be bad.

2008 was a pretty rock and roll season, too, despite not being quite so freak.

Right. =/

Well the were I live we've gotten a lot of rain and today was probably the first hot this summer, so ya.

I think the government is secretly manipulating the weather and any day now will use it to strike back against terrorists in the Middle East.

Yeah, I jsut watched the Storm on NBC.

M'kay! =3

So far, lucky, very, very lucky!!! Next year may make up for this year! :confused:

Well, we have Two to contend with now which could very well become Ana.

Depending on how far east it develops, it will either veer into the Atlantic causing nothing but rough seas or it may become a threat. I've noticed that storms that develop east of a certain point end up veering off affecting nobody other than making waves for Bermuda.

EDIT:

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/archive/2009/al02/al022009.discus.011.shtml?

It appears that Two is becoming irrelevant.

Last edited:

Two has become irrelevant, but still has good odds of reforming, and there are pretty damn good odds that Three is coming off the Cape Verde area as we speak.

Two has become irrelevant, but still has good odds of reforming, and there are pretty damn good odds that Three is coming off the Cape Verde area as we speak.

Really...? *types in "wikipedia.org" into url bar*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom