• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

'09 Pacific/Atlantic Hurricane Seasons (Closed 'Til 2010; See First Post For Details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Atlantic Hurricanes -- Where Are They??

Two has become irrelevant, but still has good odds of reforming,
National Hurricane Center said:
...TROPICAL DEPRESSION TWO REGENERATES OVER THE TROPICAL ATLANTIC
OCEAN...

Toldja. It's back.

And it's goign bit more to the south this time, current track forecasts a Bahamas/East Coast run.

Well, wherever they are, it's the reason I haven't changed my name to Jugon Storm or Dewgong Monsoon >.<

I'm keeping an eye on those systems brewing out in the Atlantic. O_O;

Well, I just logged on a few minutes ago, so apparently, Tropical Depression 2 may become Tropical Storm Ana, the first named hurricane of the 2009 Atlantic Hurricane Season!

UPDATE: A Tropical Depression 3 has formed in the same area as where what is now Tropical Storm Ana exists. They are both slated to cross over the Greater Antilles heading Northwest up into Florida by Friday of next week.

Last edited:

And just like that, in the space of two days, the alert level in the Atlantic moves from "Quiet" to "Interesting" to "Dangerous", with apparent decent odds of hitting "Scary" sooner rather than later.

As it stands, Ana looks set to remain a tropical storm for a good while. TD3 looks set to develop into hurricane Barry. Ana will very possibly, not to say probably, graze Haiti (cue ridiculous death toll).

The scary part comes in at the five days mark (and let us remember that five days forecasts are not the most reliable, so we have pretty decent odds of dodging THIS part).

In five days, Barry will have very good odds of hitting major hurricane status (Category 3 or higher), while generally heading toward the Carolinas or thereabout. In five days also, Ana will be very near or just over southern Florida, headed west into the gulf. The gulf that has 1.5-2 degrees above average water temperatures as it stands.

You know what happened the last time a tropical depression formed, dissipated, reformed (although they changed the depression number that time), became a tropical storm in the Atlantic, then crossed Florida into an above-average-water-temperatures gulf in mid-late august. *RIGHT*?

Could be that, six days from now, we'll be looking at two major hurricanes barreling toward the Gulf and East coast at the same time.

Well, my mom (who accurately guessed Katrina would be a big one) has said she doesn't see Ana or Bill as the big one. She's given that distinction to Fred.

All silliness aside, this season has ramped up big time. We also have yet another wave making its way off Africa.

Tropical Depression Three has evolved into Tropical Storm Bill.

Funny how this wandered into The Real World from Science & Technology. Oh well, it belongs here. Told ya, Dami.

Last edited:

Yeah, yeah. You won.

And Tropical Depression FOUR forms right in the Gulf oO!

Yeah, yeah. You won.

And Tropical Depression FOUR forms right in the Gulf oO!

YOU BEAT ME TO IT! I just found out seconds ago!

UPDATE: Tropical Depression Four has evolved into Tropical Storm Claudette. It is set to hit landfall later this evening. If you live in the Apalachicola/St. George's Island area, you are encouraged to evacuate immediately.

Last edited:

Why do I feel like this will be 2004 all over again?

On the plus side, Ana has decided to re-depress itself.

Why do I feel like this will be 2004 all over again?

Do you mean 2005?

And yes, Bill will indefinitely be intensifying over the next week, predictably becoming hurricane status, whereas Tropical Storm Ana has devolved into Tropical Depression Ana. It should dissipate over the next few days or so. Tropical Storm Claudette is to be in central Alabama-Mississippi tomorrow evening, and should be weakening.

Do you mean 2005?

No, I mean 2004. Nothing of any significance happened in the beginning, and then WHAM! throughout the rest of the year, Florida gets hit by four - count 'em FOUR - hurricanes, and all of them quite powerful.

I am still amazed at how late the first storm started. Although I think the 1992 hurricane season was similar like that in terms of lateness, except we haven't had an Andrew type storm as a hurricane yet this year.

Here we're feeling the effects of Ana, though not directly, as I type. It's pretty much more of a heavy thunderstorm type of thing than raining. Luckily we're not really feeling a big hit..can't say the same thing for the Dominican Republic/Haiti.

Also on the lucky side...yay Bill completley missed us. I just simply hate how hurricane season makes people here to completely ubberly over react..and act. >.<

Also on the lucky side...yay Bill completley missed us. I just simply hate how hurricane season makes people here to completely ubberly over react..and act. >.<

That's great. considering they could expect Bill to evolve into a Category Three storm.

Yea, and Bill might hit where I am, it's not likely, but it's possible. (I'm in Philadelphia, PA). But, I have relatives in the pan-handle of Florida who got pounded with Claudette, and are still getting beaten right now. But, I hope Bill does what meteorologists say it will, almost completely turn around.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom