• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Trouble in Newbieville - 1/26/13 TOWN WINS & Mentor Chat

Status
Not open for further replies.

Master Mew

Level 7
Reaction score
2ly1r35.png

Hi! I'm Master Mew, I'll be your Host!
kb3n89.png

So maybe you're new to Mafia, or maybe you've played before but you'd like to brush up your skills and learn a thing or two from the pros. Either way, this game is the game for you! Sign up fast, though, because for simplicity's sake, this will be a small game with only 10 players!

So first, the basics of Mafia:
Feel free to skip these if you already know how to play Mafia.
In this game, there will be ten players. At the start of the game, I will send each of you a private message containing your role. You will either be a member of the Town (the good guys), or a member of the Mafia (the bad guys). Two of you will be Mafia, so the rest are Town. Simple, right?

Once I've sent everyone their roles, I'll make a post here in the thread (I'll use the nifty "Mention" tag to get your attention so you don't miss it) saying that the game has started and we are now in "Night 0." Night 0 is the first of many "Day" and "Night" phases that we will progress through. During Night 0 you will post here in the thread simply saying, "Confirm," to let me know that you received your role. Once everyone has confirmed, I will post again to let you all know that we are entering "Day 1."

Day Phases are when all the players (both Town and Mafia) get together and discuss who they think the Mafia members are. Once you have decided who you think is Mafia, you will place your "vote" for that person (by posting, in bold, something like this: Vote: Master Mew). Day Phases last 48 hours and at the end of the Phase, the player with the most votes on them will be "lynched" - i.e. removed from the game entirely. Once someone has been lynched, they can no longer post in the game thread at all until the game ends.

Then we enter the Night Phase. Night Phases will last 24 hours in this game. In the Night Phase, the Mafia gets together in secret and decides which Townie they want to kill. Power roles (we'll get to those in a minute) also decide how to use their actions during the Night Phase and PM them to the Host (me).

At the end of the Night Phase, I'll make a post telling everyone who died last night and then the next Day Phase will begin and you'll vote to try and lynch Mafia again! Simplicity itself... ;-)

Now, to make things more interesting, some games include "Power Roles" - this game is one of them. A power role is a role that, in addition to getting to discuss things and vote in the game thread, also gets a special ability to use during the Night Phase (some games have roles that use abilities during the Day Phase, but there aren't any of those in this game). All of the possible power roles for this game are listed in the "Possible Roles" section a bit further down the page.

Mentors:
This is cool - and also what makes this game special.
kd3gac.png

In this game, each player will be paired with an experienced player who volunteered to guide you through this game. You will receive a link to a private thread where you can talk to your Mentor and they will offer you advice, answer your questions, and explain basic game theory. Remember, all of their knowledge and experience is at your disposal, so don't hesitate to ask them any questions you have!

Possible Roles:
Some of these will be in the game, some won't.
In this game, there will be:

1 Mafia Goon
1 Mafia Roleblocker
6 Vanilla Townies
2 out of the following four possibilities (with no duplicates): Cop, Doctor, Jailkeeper, Vanilla Townie.

Here's an explanation of each role:

You are a Vanilla Townie

2jb8fg6.png

During the Day Phase you can vote and discuss in the thread, and during the Night Phase you can get a good night's rest!

You are allied with the Town and will win when all members of the Mafia are eliminated.

You are a Cop

30vf8qu.png

During the Day Phase you can vote and discuss in thread, and during the Night Phase, you can PM the Host and say Check: User (replacing "User" with the person you want to check) and find out if they are a member of the Town or the Mafia. You can do this every night.

You are allied with the Town and will win when all members of the Mafia are eliminated.

You are a Doctor

261lr2v.png

During the Day Phase you can vote and discuss in thread, and during the Night Phase, you can PM the Host and say Protect: User (replacing "User" with the person you want to protect) and that person will be safe from being killed by the Mafia that night. You can do this every night.

You cannot target yourself.

You are a Jailkeeper

f02kp4.png

During the Day Phase you can vote and discuss in thread, and during the Night Phase, you can PM the Host and say Jail: User (replacing "User" with the person you want to jail) and that person will be safe from being killed by the Mafia that night, however if they are a power role their power will not work that night. You can do this every night.

You cannot target yourself.

You are a Mafia Goon

34nh75l.png

During the Day Phase you can vote and discuss in the thread, and during the Night Phase you can help choose who to kill.

You are allied with the Mafia and will win when all members of the Town have been eliminated or nothing can prevent the same.

You are a Mafia Roleblocker

f06dkm.png

During the Day Phase you can vote and discuss in the thread, and during the Night Phase you can PM the Host and say Roleblock: User (replacing "User" with the person you want to block) and that person's ability, if they have one, will not work during that Night Phase. You can also help choose who to kill during the Night Phase.

You are allied with the Mafia and will win when all members of the Town have been eliminated or nothing can prevent the same.

The Rules:
You should probably read these.
1. Do not share the link to your Mentor-thread or Mafia-thread.
2. Do not talk to other players about this game outside of this thread (unless you are in the Mafia, then you can talk to your partner in the Mafia-thread).
3. Be active. If you don't feel like participating in the game and posting regularly, don't sign up.
4. Play nice. No personal attacks and just generally try not to be rude... remember, it's just a game, they aren't actually members of a Mafia trying to kill you. :p
5. No posting after you die until the game is over. At all. Say nothing once you are dead.
6. You cannot post screenshots of PMs received from the Host.
7. You cannot post screenshots or quotes from your Mentor-thread.
8. Mentors: You cannot post in the game thread.
9. Mentors: Help your partner learn the game, but don't play the game for them.
10. Mentors: Don't cheat. You guys are smart enough to know what that entails.

Players:
1. @Sunburn Lynched on Day 4. -- Mafia Roleblocker
2. @Shadows
3. @Midorikawa
4. @Dark Blueberry Killed on Night 3. -- Vanilla Townie
5. @Pokemaster97 Lynched on Day 6. -- Mafia Goon
6. @Orion
7. @stillboy Lynched on Day 5. -- Vanilla Townie
8. @**Derpy.McDerpy** Lynched on Day 3. -- Vanilla Townie
9. @GliscorMan Killed on Night 5. -- Vanilla Townie
10. @Sputnik Killed on Night 2. -- Vanilla Townie

Subs:
1. @Yata

Last edited:
Re: Intro to Mafia: Trouble in Newbieville

In, please :)

Eh, I guess I will sign up. For the lols.

Sign me up, thanks for saving me a spot

Idk if I have to confirm my reservation, but here's that post if need be!

I think I'll sub. XD

Re: Intro to Mafia: Trouble in Newbieville - 2 SPOTS LEFT

TWO SPOTS LEFT

I really need to step up my game. Mind if I join? If anyone else shows up (more of a newb than me), I'd be willing to yield my spot.

I really need to step up my game. Mind if I join? If anyone else shows up (more of a newb than me), I'd be willing to yield my spot.
I don't mind at all! There's always more to learn - heck, if I weren't hosting I might sign up. :p

ONE SPOT REMAINING.

@Sputnik Sure you don't want it?

Re: Intro to Mafia: Trouble in Newbieville - ONE SPOT LEFT

You know, I might as well. XD

Re: Trouble in Newbieville - 1/8/13 - Night 0 (Subs still accepted)

Confirming!

Confirming like a newbie! *ignores the fact that she has contributed to the War Room for almost a year*

I'll sub! XD

Role confirmed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom