• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

2018 March 8th Nintendo Direct

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fluttershy of Light

Star Guardian Ahri
Reaction score
With the Direct coming up today at 5 PM ET or 2 PM PT (Time zone converter for those not in the time zones listed) this thread will serve as Discussion for the potential upcoming new games and discussion of the event as it unfolds.
The Direct is said to post about 30 minutes so we'll be getting quite a bit of information including on the new Mario Tennis game soon. You can watch it on Nintendo's official channel Here
IMG_20180308_115710.jpg

I'll be happy if we get a release date for Hollow Knight on Switch.

OMG Smash Bros. They did it.

I really didn't think they'd announce or tease anything Smash until at least E3, but the absolute madmen! They did it! No surprise the Inklings are going to be in, but holy wow am I hyped. Side note, but hearing the music from Splatoon 1 during that teaser made me feel so nostalgic for a game that isn't even that old, lol. I miss the music in Splatoon 1 so much.

Super excited for the Splatoon 2 DLC as well! I LOVE the single player content in both Splatoon games, so I will gladly pay for more of it, and the ability to play as an Octoling is just the cherry on top. Piranha Pit is coming back too! Ahh, one of my favorite stages in Splatoon 1, and I was afraid it wouldn't return since I didn't think it was very popular. Yay!

Mario Tennis Aces looks great. Like it'll be the first one I'll enjoy since the N64 Mario Tennis. Mario Golf has always been consistently good (and I hope we see one of those on Switch someday too), but Tennis has been pretty iffy in recent installments. This looks like it's back on track!

Octopath Traveler continues to look super charming and like a great throw-back JRPG. Good stuff.

Luigi's Mansion on 3DS is exciting since I love the original... but I wish it was a remake for Switch instead. It's not really much of an upgrade at all on the 3DS's low-res screen, and I bet it would've looked amazing in HD. I hope this is a sign the Switch will get a brand new Luigi's Mansion...

All in all, wonderful Direct! Really blew me away since I didn't expect much, but wowzers did we get some exciting info!

(sorry if this should be spoiler-tagged, I'll edit it if necessary!!)

I thought every thing looked pretty cool. Not that I'm overly hyped about any one thing but it all looked decent.

Probably Octopath Traveler was the winner for me.

Looking forward to Octopath and the Luigi's Mansion remake. I'd say Smash too but I'll need to see more from it.

WarioWare is no longer dead
Dillon returns after many years
Bowser's Inside Story, yet no Partner's in Time
Old allies returning to Kirby, the possibilities though...
And finally, Inklings in Smash.

What an insane ride it was today

I hope this version of Okami keeps the credits, unlike the Wii port. Octopath Traveler is starting to get my interest tbh, I really like the retro feel. What's disappointing was the the lack of SMT V, but that could be because Atlus is saving it for E3.

Last edited:
I almost cried seeing Okami ported to Switch, I was hoping for a Wii U port and was sad for a very big missed opportunity.

I never cared for UnderTale(it's overrated, fight me), but was surprised either way.

I lost my sh*t when I saw Octo Expansion, I'm a big fan of Splatoon's single player and story(more than the Multiplayer). And finally, finally playable Octolings.

So that's the end....wait.....HOLY MOTHER OF SPACE GOD KOUTA KAZURABA! THEY TEASED SMASH!!! INKLINGS!! BREATH OF THE WILD LINK!!! Now give me Rex & Pyra, as well as Viridi on the roster and then I'm beyond undefinable emotions.

Did it actually say that undertale is coming to the switch eventually? That's one of the best things Ive heard all day.

I never cared for UnderTale(it's overrated, fight me), but was surprised either wayy.
Have you played it?

I hope this version of Okami keeps the credits, unlike the Wii port.
I hear the PS3 HD version kept the credits, but lacked the song accompanying them. Hopefully BY NOW they have all those licensing shenanigans settled so the credits can be on par with the PS2 original (which I still keep).

As for Smash, judging by the tease I'm guessing the Inklings will be proper playable fighters this time around?
And PLEASE give us Mega Charizard Y final smash?

Undertale was a surprise announcement to be sure -- I saw a LP of the PS4 version and you wouldn't know what's missing from it if you hadn't played the PC original.
Actually, nothing important.
During the Muffet encounter, during her "pet" attack the bullet board itself bobs up and down during the first phase, then tilts right and left during the climbing phase. However this does not occur on the PS4.

Dark Souls Solaire amiibo? I want to pick that up just because.

Apparently "Octopath Traveler" will be the actual title for Square's Switch RPG. It still looks absolutely amazing (and that theme song, too!), even though I never finished the demo (I took a break after that bandit boss, and haven't touched it since).

I've never played Crash Bandicoot ever. I also don't have a PS4, so I may pick up the Crash trilogy. I wonder if they fixed some of the issues with its jump physics ....

I'll actually have to side with some of the members at Serenes Forest and say that the general lack of Original IPs and (and lack of info on Fire Emblem Switch) is dissapointing. No, I'm not touching anything from Mario nor Smash Bros; those two overrated series can just bugger off.

Okami HD looks nice, though. I might get that as part of my switch library.

Mario Tennis Aces does look a rather interesting but the rackets being able to break seems like it could be a rather annoying addition..
Crash coming to the Switch is honestly onixpected but i can see why they'll be releasing it at some point lol. They did have a Crash game on a Nintendo Console before but it didn't do too well..
Though near the end after the Splatoon 2 DLC i was getting ready to close the stream and move on to something else lol. And then Smash got announced :'v

Meanwhile Im just hyped for undertale on the switch.

No Hollow Knight information was disappointing, but Okami HD and Octopath Traveler are two games I'm looking forward to. I started replaying Okami last year, and was planning to just pick it up for PS4 after that was announced, but I think I'll wait for the Switch version now.

Also considering picking up Splatoon 2. I wasn't fussed for it before, but more single player content for it just makes it more appealing to me. I don't really care for the online multiplayer since I'll probably suck at it (and have no one to play with lol).

Have you played it?
I have not and most likely never will be. Honestly most of the game never really appealed to me, though I like the inspiration of Earthbound and Toby Fox's personality(see the Youtube channel StephenVlog to see footage of Toby, especially his Japan vlogs); most of the characters and multiple endings didn't really enthralled me. Not to mention how toxic the fanbase became after UnderTale became huge, has more or less dissuaded me into getting into the game. I will admit though that "Will be released Eventually" and most of the trailer did get me laughing a bit.

I started out being really underwhelmed (and my fellow staffers can tell you my actual live reactions lmao xD [just kidding, if you do, you're fired]) but I guess all in all it was good. Smash was a good surprise, quite a few nice looking ports, etc etc.
I am really tempted to asked Saphir or Flutter if they know, but I don't want to risk getting banned from the Bulbagarden Discord.

Uggggh. The bad parts of a fanbase are always something to be annoyed about. Not everyone in a fanbase can be like that but whenever you find those people things just turn downhill really quickly. Like a really bad taste in your mouth that you try to get out but if refuses to go. Strange sounding I know but it's the only thing I could think of to say about the bad parts of a fanbase.

I am really tempted to asked Saphir or Flutter if they know, but I don't want to risk getting banned from the Bulbagarden Discord.
What could possibly go wrong? :^D

Also, I wouldn't really dismiss a game because of its fanbase, chances are, you will like the product after all. I admittedly find it very odd that Undertale was such a hit, it's a nice, emotional game of course, but still. Don't let the fanbase of something turn you off trying it (I know it's not the only reason but still), if you don't like it, you don't like it, but at least you can say you actually gave it a shot instead of being affected by others' (very intense) opinions :3

What could possibly go wrong? :^D

Also, I wouldn't really dismiss a game because of its fanbase, chances are, you will like the product after all. I admittedly find it very odd that Undertale was such a hit, it's a nice, emotional game of course, but still. Don't let the fanbase of something turn you off trying it (I know it's not the only reason but still), if you don't like it, you don't like it, but at least you can say you actually gave it a shot instead of being affected by others' (very intense) opinions :3

Thats something I agree with. Some fans may be really weird but even still you may find something in the game that you like. Just as long as you're not being forced to do it. Because being forced to do something suuuuuucks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom