• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

2018 March 8th Nintendo Direct

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have not and most likely never will be. Honestly most of the game never really appealed to me, though I like the inspiration of Earthbound and Toby Fox's personality(see the Youtube channel StephenVlog to see footage of Toby, especially his Japan vlogs); most of the characters and multiple endings didn't really enthralled me. Not to mention how toxic the fanbase became after UnderTale became huge, has more or less dissuaded me into getting into the game. I will admit though that "Will be released Eventually" and most of the trailer did get me laughing a bit
Now I'm even more curious. Have you seen it played by others? Long post follows.
You do sound like the fanbase spoiled you to it a little -- the best way to play Undertale is to shut off the Internet for a few days and don't tell anyone about it until you've made the credits roll. Some of the plot developments do hinge on their surprise factor (being considerably less impactful when you know it's coming beforehand), and you also don't want people telling you how to play. You don't have to beat the game three times in a specific recommended sequence, etc....

In my case, I had initially only seen a Let's Play of the opening area (plus a certain boss battle), and I'd browsed the TVTropes page on it (which, being TVTropes, has considerable spoilers, not all of them marked). I then proceeded to forget about it until much later, and picked it up during a Steam sale. So some of the things I definitely knew were coming, and I did intentionally play through the first time as a pacifist, but not because anyone told me to -- the game claimed it's possible and I wanted to test it -- and I still enjoyed it on its own terms. I did re-play it for the other endings, but I will admit I didn't like the final boss of the "true ending" as much as the one I faced the first time. Yes the music was climactic and all, but the mechanics of the actual battle were ... underwhelming.

I agree that I found the cast of characters entertaining in their roles but, for the most part, only that.

And so the Switch becomes ever more tempting, and the Wii U ever more redundant. Ports, ports, ports... but that's actually what I kind of like about the Switch's library so far. It says something that one of the games that excites me the most in this announcement is a Switch port of Captain Toad, of all things. That's all from the perspective of someone who hasn't already paid $40-$60 for the Wii U versions of games like that, though.

On the more third-party side of things, Okami HD for the Switch looks interesting, especially with the promise of touchscreen and motion controls à la the original Wii version. That said, I'm not quite as jump-in-the-air-excited for it as I could have been, because the cynical side of me wonders if they'll find a way to screw it up somehow, as ports of games to Nintendo platforms sometimes do. I remain cautiously optimistic about it, though.

I'm only really happy for the Luigi's Mansion remake. I have most of the other games annouced on my PS4.

I'm only really happy for the Luigi's Mansion remake. I have most of the other games annouced on my PS4.
Luigi’s mansion and warioware were my standouts
Combining elements from mega microgame$ twisted AND touched? Hell yes!
Also that dark souls of amiibo looks like they just wanted to meme, well mission accomplished.
The octo expansion looks nice, but I still have to beat splatoon 2’s story, let alone splatoon 1. Let alone purchase Splatoon 2 instead of renting it like I’ve been doing.
Overall this direct was mostly ports, but said ports give it a 9/10 for me

On the more third-party side of things, Okami HD for the Switch looks interesting, especially with the promise of touchscreen and motion controls à la the original Wii version. That said, I'm not quite as jump-in-the-air-excited for it as I could have been, because the cynical side of me wonders if they'll find a way to screw it up somehow, as ports of games to Nintendo platforms sometimes do. I remain cautiously optimistic about it, though.
Yeah, Okami Wii actually did screw up in implementing the motion controls.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom