• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review S06 EP18: A Poached Ego! ・ EP19: Tree's a Crowd

Dogasu

ロケット団よ永遠
Reaction score
Japanese Episode 006: "Goodbye to Team Rocket with Fury Swipes!"
American Episode 006: "A Poached Ego"

1226.jpg

Today, the Rocket-Dan encounters a pokemon poacher who's after a group of Arbo and Dogasu. Will they be able to protect the pokemon? Will the poacher's gun make it on Kids' WB!? And will the dub's score completely screw up one of the most important episodes yet?

And then later today...

Japanese Episode 007: "Treecko's Forest! Protect the Big Tree!"
American Episode 007: "Tree's a Crowd"

0109.jpg

Today, Satoshi helps a group of Kimori protect a colossal tree. It's also the first time we see the Rocket-Dan have one of their trademarked Sakaki fantasies in Advanced Generation, as well as the first time an insert song is used in the Japanese version of this series.

Post your thoughts about the episodes here. Also, please avoid posting spoilers for events that happen in future episodes since this isn't the Anime Spoilers forum.

And will the dub's score completely screw up one of the most important episodes yet?

Yes.

Let's not even get started on how when TR where barely grabbing onto Ryou's legs to try and stop him, in the dub they're yelling in their 'angry' voices, rather than their 'we're barely conscious' ones. What a laff.

A Poached Ego-
What a poigant episode. Haha, yeah the gun made it on. :lol: TR better get to see Arbok and Weezing again!! My favourite scene was how even though they were getting beat up, TR kept fighting for the freedom of the Ekans and Koffing. My brother thought it was hilarious when Meowth was standing there getting electricuted while unlocking the cage. I dunno why..... :rolleyes:

They used part of the orchetral piece from the first movie! Yay! I think it went so well there. I liked how the fighting scene went by in shots rather than flowing action. It was such a sad and beautiful scene. The way Arbok and Weezing had to take their pre-evolutions away from danger reminded my of Pallet Part Panic. Was it just me, or is Weezing's voice waaay different?

The Cacnea was so cute! It was weird since I'm used to pronouncing its name (kak-nay-ah) when it was more of an ee sound. I'm so glad James caught it! ^_^

I also decided to keep track of the shapes on the Officer Jennys' hats.

Tree's a Crowd-
This epi, especially the end, really confused me. The Treeco saying their name over and over again got kinda obnoxious. Were the "kimori"s that annoying?

I loved how Haruka May shoved it in Ash's face about weakening a Pokémon first. That's classic. :lol: And why was Max calling the PokéNav a "PokéNavi?" I know it's short for Pokémon Navigator, but why have the extra "i"?

The way Ash's Treeco was fiesty is evidence to me of the natures from R/S. What do you think? I really like the way they did the elder Treeco.

The fact that only Ash's Treeco wanted to help the tree didn't make sense. You came to tell me *no* other Treeco were born in that tree and/or none of the others wanted to help it? Come on. I didn't get why he was putting leaves at the base of the tree. To hold the moisture in?

I don't understand how TR could steal all the Treeco after the previous epi. *sigh*

The tree split in half. Um....what? I don't think a vine could split a tree. After the tree grew and flowered in fifteen seconds and then it fell apart. Was the life of the tree flashing before them? It reminded me of the campher (sp?) tree My Neighbour Totoro. ^_^ Oh well, I didn't get it.

Rustboro Jenny (1)

What is the name of that insert song? Is it in any of the OSTs? It sounds like it was sung by Rica Matsumoto.

Well, speaking as someone who has better things to do than wank over every inconsistency between the dub and original, I rather liked the poacher episode. Even if there were changes made, that didn't make it any less touching to people who might not have seen the original version. Some of us are, yanno, happy with what we get.

( ... okay, so that's only because it takes the aforementioned 'some of us' a week to download one single episode thanks to dial-up connections, but STILL )

A Poached Ego was a cute episode, overall. TR's farewell/sendoff was more emotional than most of Ash's, I have to say. While Ash's were mainly "okay, thanks for your help, have fun, bye :D", the nature of the scene here made all the difference. Even Weezing's little head was crying. Wah ;_;

And there was no sappy vocal! TEH WINNAR!

... just once, I'd like to see a Fearow who's trainer is, without question, good. It seems like every time a Spearow/Fearow shows up, it has an antagonistic role. Dear writers: pick on a different Pokemon, plzkthx ;_; *hugs poor Fearow*

Um.

Treecko episode was pretty good, too. I agree, the voices did get quite annoying, but eh.

I had the opinion that the scene of the tree growing was the dying tree's vision for the future - you know, grow a new tree from the seed, and it will grow other trees, etc. It was executed well ("it's just like a nature show! only... uh, animated"), but it was a bit too sudden, it took a moment to figure out it was a hallucination/vision/what-have-ye.

But dude, did Taillow get lost on the way to find Brock and company? Ash ran off, and arrived at the tree in, like, less than a minute. And Brock-tachi didn't make it to the tree until the next... morning? ... buh.

... er, did the "Who's that Pokémon?" on the second episode say Girafarig has a 'tale' that bites? Eheh. (... or was that just the snow on my TV making 'tail' look misspelled? :E)

I liked the first episode a great deal, how we were finally getting to see some emotion from Arbok and Weezing, and that poacher was just plain cruel. Still, I was disappointed with the ending, it would have just been the perfect moment to have them be killed off against that Tyranitar, while introducing a new villain at the same time, but team rocket survived, and the poacher was arrested. As for the episode after that, I also loved Haruka explaining to Satoshi how you have to battle to weaken it first, as well as how Treecko used it's twig as a weapon, and I can't help but wonder if the tree(Especially with how it died, blooming again like that to thank the Treecko) is a metaphor for the entire pokemon franchise.

Originally posted by Kauri
... er, did the "Who's that Pokémon?" on the second episode say Girafarig has a 'tale' that bites? Eheh. (... or was that just the snow on my TV making 'tail' look misspelled? :E)

Yes, I saw that too! I was wondering if anyone else would notice that! Looks like it's time to send the writers back to elementry school. Unless, of course, they meant that Girafarig tells a really bad story when they wrote, "a tale that bites". :-D

I liked the part at the beginning of "A Poached Ego" when Brock was talking about how he could tell the Nurse Joys and Officer Jennys appart. XD And TR saying goodbye to Arbok and Weezing made me cry. ;_;

Okay, I am mixing up the two episodes here, but oh well. I always like when Meowth says how the boss will be so happy if they catch such and such Pokemon. Those scenes are always so funny. XD

I think that they were saying "PokéNavi" because of the lip flaps. Probably the mouths would've remained open, and it would've looked strange if Max had said, "PokéNav". That's just my guess.

I was thinking something... May seems like the most realistic character, in terms of personality. I mean, the way she fights with her brother and everything. She just seems more like a ten year old. And kinda makes Ash seem mature. :-D

Originally posted by Char350
What is the name of that insert song? Is it in any of the OSTs? It sounds like it was sung by Rica Matsumoto.

The song from the Japanese version of the Kimori episode? That's Minna ga Ita Kara, Satoshi's image song from the Revelation Lugia soundtrack.

Translation
That the strong are not necessarily great... I understand
That not giving up is more important than winning... I understand
That fighting alone does not make a battle... I sort of understand

Because you were all there, I was able to come this far
So just a little more,
Lend me just a little more
of your strength,
Until the fight is over.

For the first time in weeks, I got see AG episodes! So I was happy about that alone.

Loved 'A Poached Ego'. A lot. I'm taping it when it's on this week. Anyway, I'm glad I wasn't just hallucinating when I though Weezing sounded different, as Hitchi noticed it too. I also thought a few lines near the beginning of the episode sounded a little choppy, but maybe THAT was a hallucination. I really liked the poacher's voice and lines for some reason, I think because a chracter on Pokemon (besides Bisashu) sounded ACTUALLY evil for once. Did anyone else catch when they were talking to the poacher the first time and James said something along the lines of, "Oh you bad poacher man, you." It made me burst out laughing (which in turn made my sister give me a really weird look). And I cried when Arbok and Weezing were leaving and Team Rocket were getting beat up by Tyrannitar. I want to see the episode in English, Japanese, French, German, Rusian, Chinese, and every other conceivable language to compare and contrast. *Is possessed by the manic force of love for this episode*

The Treeko ep...eh. So-so. Me and my sister had fun making fun of the elder Treeko's voice and how it looked. You've got to admit, it was all slightly bizzare. Then, that flashback or whatever where the trees all grew super fast provided more amusement for me and sister dearest. We whispered reverantly about 'magic holy trees' and 'magic holy Treekos'. All I really enjoyed about the episode beside that was how May and Max acted lovely and sibling-like. I think this episode would've garnered an ok rating from me regularly, but airing only an hour and half after 'A Poached Ego' it didn't stand a chance. I was still in awe over the past episode.

And was anyone else annoyed by Ash in these episodes? Probably not, as I am a rabid TR fan and much more wildly over-protective of them then I let on. In 'A Poached Ego' when he said something about how that even with people like TR in the world, at least there were good people. I sputtered incoherantly before calling Ash an evil monkey and nearly slamming my fist on the TV. Then, in 'Tree's a Crowd' he remarked that TR 'probably stole that Cacnea'. I know he wasn't there so he didn't know any better, but I still cursed him out 0_o.

Yes, I am messed up.

I didn't notice t at first, but I had to read it twice to make sure I wasn't missing something. I didn't realize that the tale was the mistake.

Originally posted by YumeHeart
I think that they were saying "PokéNavi" because of the lip flaps. Probably the mouths would've remained open, and it would've looked strange if Max had said, "PokéNav". That's just my guess.
Yeah, you're probably right. The dubbers probably could've come up with an extra word to put in there instead. :rolleyes: @ dubbers

I was thinking something... May seems like the most realistic character, in terms of personality. I mean, the way she fights with her brother and everything.
I agree. Boys that are Ash's age that care about living things and such are very, very rare. I fight with my brother like Haruka May and Masato Max do. In fact, we sometimes argue over if May or Max is better....meh. :p

Originally posted by TRF-Chan/Ishamael
Did anyone else catch when they were talking to the poacher the first time and James said something along the lines of, "Oh you bad poacher man, you."
Yep, that's what he said. Pretty funny! :lol:

Originally posted by TRF-Chan/Isahamael
And was anyone else annoyed by Ash in these episodes? Probably not, as I am a rabid TR fan and much more wildly over-protective of them then I let on. In 'A Poached Ego' when he said something about how that even with people like TR in the world, at least there were good people. I sputtered incoherantly before calling Ash an evil monkey and nearly slamming my fist on the TV. Then, in 'Tree's a Crowd' he remarked that TR 'probably stole that Cacnea'.
I found his first line about TR hilarious. My mom looked at me like I was a psycho, lol. I got kinda mad at him for the Cacnea statement, too. Cacnea's cute, and TR actually caught a Pokémon for once. Didn't he make a similar remark when James had Victreebel or someone?

The Team Rocket theme has recurred once again, which probably means it's staying for good! It fits them so well. As Satoshi mentioned Taillow several times again, it bugs me the way they pronounced it. I've always pronounced it (TAI-yo) but now they're saying (tay-loh), so I guess I'll have to go back to Subame. :lol:

Was it just me, or did Riko tell is Fearow to use "fury," no "attack" or "swipes" or anything?

I watched Tree's a Crowd a second time with my brother and mom. After Ash caught Kimori, my mom said, "Isn't that mean of Ash to catch the Treeco?" I had to explain so stuff to her there. About ten minutes after it ended, to no one in particular, she asked, "Why did it have a tree in its mouth?" :lol:! A tree! She later corrected herself by saying "twig" and then "branch."

Hopefully I remembered everything this time. ^^;

Originally posted by Hitchi
As Satoshi mentioned Taillow several times again, it bugs me the way they pronounced it. I've always pronounced it (TAI-yo) but now they're saying (tay-loh), so I guess I'll have to go back to Subame. :lol:

If they're saying "Tay-loh", that's the way I've always pronounced it too. Pronouncing it your way would make it sound too French for an English Pokemon name. :p

Originally posted by Geodude
If they're saying "Tay-loh", that's the way I've always pronounced it too. Pronouncing it your way would make it sound too French for an English Pokemon name. :p
I basically adapted a Spanish pronounciation (omitting the W) without realizing it, and now it's just habit for me to say it that way. I dunno, but it sure confuses people. *shrugs*

Ooh, Minna ga Ita Kara insert. That, I'd like to see. *makes note of episode*

I've always called it a PokéNavi, actually. XD; I guess that's why I didn't notice that mistake. ('pokenavi' is the direct katakana reading of the abbreviation. Got used to saying it that way...)

Yes, I saw that too! I was wondering if anyone else would notice that! Looks like it's time to send the writers back to elementry school. Unless, of course, they meant that Girafarig tells a really bad story when they wrote, "a tale that bites".
Ahaha. XD;; Well. I guess a story that was just 'rin ri~in!' over and over -would- be pretty bad, unless you could understand it...

Such a simple mistake, though. I was almost -hoping- it was just bad reception on the TV. So much for giving them the benefit of the doubt. ^^;;

Originally posted by TRF-Chan
And was anyone else annoyed by Ash in these episodes? Probably not, as I am a rabid TR fan and much more wildly over-protective of them then I let on. In 'A Poached Ego' when he said something about how that even with people like TR in the world, at least there were good people. I sputtered incoherantly before calling Ash an evil monkey and nearly slamming my fist on the TV. Then, in 'Tree's a Crowd' he remarked that TR 'probably stole that Cacnea'.
I felt the same way, especially in the first episode. TR has had MANY opportunities when they've shown that they're not all bad/TEH EBIL. And Ash-tachi has seen some of them, too. How he could still think that they didn't have any hint of goodness in them is beyond me.

It's such a shame to me that no one knew about all that TR did for the Ekans/Koffing. It would have been a beautiful example of poetic justice if Ash had somehow found out about TR's actions after saying what he said.

Or, well, if not 'poetic justice', at LEAST another fine example of Ash's foot becoming aquainted with his big mouth. |3

Originally posted by Hitchi
Was it just me, or did Riko tell is Fearow to use "fury," no "attack" or "swipes" or anything?
! Oh, you're right about that! I'd forgotten, but yes, he did only say 'fury'. Would have been better if he'd said 'fury attack'. Would have gone with Meowth's 'fury swipes' (<- best Meowth fighting moment EVAR). Blah~

Or, well, if not 'poetic justice', at LEAST another fine example of Ash's foot becoming aquainted with his big mouth. |3

I dunno why since it's kinda unrelated, but reading that made me think immediately of the classic TR quote from the first Snubbull episode:

Meowth: James should know all about dat, he was born wit' a silver spoon in his mouth.
James: Yes, that's true, but we had to take it out right away to make room for my foot.

a Poached Ego: A great episode!!! I loved the scenes at the beginning with Brock, Nurse Joy, and Officer Jenny, and Tr was soo cool!!. This has got to be one of their best episodes. It was soo sad to see Arbok and Weezing go. The japanese music was better, but they didn;t edit anything else, so the episode still got its tragic quality across. And finally I LOVED Sabone/Cacnea. Its my all time fave Ruby/Saphire pokemon, and it was soooooo cute and had a great dub voice. I want a Cacnea plushy! rating: 5 stars

Tree's a Crowd: -_-, PUN-ish them!. anyway, this was a good episode. Mah and Max's bickering through the whole episode was hilarious, as was May's commentary to Ash after he threw the pokeball. TR's apperance was cool because Cacnea was used ^^. I think Meowth's Giovanni fantasy's are funny sometimes, but they start appearing in just about every AG episode from now on and get really annoying -_-. I liked Ash's battle with Kimori/Treecko, although I have to say that Treecko's dub voice is the WORST R/S dub voice yet! Kimori's voice was more gravely and sounded much better, Treecko, on the other hand, sounded like Hitmontop. overall: 3 stars

I can;t wait till next week's first episode. its going to be hilarious. And Pokenavi is the correct shortening of "Pokemon Navigator". I know its spelled Pokenav in the American version, but thats a stupid pronunciation ^^, pokenavi so}nds better.
--%--------------------------7d31d39b0246
Content-Disposition: form-data; name="parseurl"

yes

Originally posted by TRF-Chan
I want to see the episode in English, Japanese, French, German, Rusian, Chinese, and every other conceivable language to compare and contrast. *Is possessed by the manic force of love for this episode*

Yeah, I say this for every episode, even the ones not easily available in Japanese, but you really do need to see this one in it's original format. Not for any visual edits (there are none besides he obvious eyecatches removal and intro/outro change), but for the sounds. The music in the last two scenes with TR in totally _makes_ this episode, and they just trashed them both.

(Of course, the scene that still keeps this episode being short of best ever, is still present in either (the one where Ryou walks out of the forest, into Satoshi-tachi, and gets stomped flat in about 5 frames).

Hey, is Dogasu going to do an episode comparison for this one on his website? I'm pretty sure his choice of language will be more civil than what I'd use...

"A Poached Ego" - I loved this episode! The first part with Brock and Nurse Joy, and then Officer Jenny was hilarious! LOL!! ^_^ And I really loved how much Jessie and James cared for the caged Ekans and Koffing. They were so determined to get them out. And it was so cool when they did! But, it was so sad when they had to say goodbye to Arbok and Weezing. The song that was playing ("Tears Of Life" from Pokemon The First Movie) just made it even more sad. And that was good, cause I love all the emotional episodes. Oh yeah, and that Cacnea was so cute! And I loved the part at the end when James was holding it and it's thorns hurt him. That was funny! :-D Overall, this episode gets a teary-eyed 10 out of 10.

Well, speaking as someone who has better things to do than wank over every inconsistency between the dub and original, I rather liked the poacher episode. Even if there were changes made, that didn't make it any less touching to people who might not have seen the original version. Some of us are, yanno, happy with what we get.

( ... okay, so that's only because it takes the aforementioned 'some of us' a week to download one single episode thanks to dial-up connections, but STILL )

I agree. I mean, the only episode I have in Japanese is "In The Knicker Of Time" (with no subtitles), and I downloaded it from Kazaa Lite. I had a hard time finding it though.

"Tree's A Crowd" - I loved May and Max's fighting! That was hilarious! And it's just like how my brother and I fight. Although, of course I'm 7 years older than May and my brother's older than Max. Anyway, I liked it when Meowth translated what the Treecko were saying. It made it easier for me to understand what was going on. And I think it was cool how Ash's Treecko was the only one that wanted to protect the tree. It knew that it was dying, but it still wanted to stay with it until it died because that's where it was born. I loved the part when Ash and Pikachu went up in the tree to wait for Treecko. And later, I liked how they helped put leaves around it. That was cool. But, it was weird when the tree broke in half and they showed that flashback. Although, I really loved the part when Ash was gonna tie it back together, and they noticed the new tree! Of course, the best part of this episode was Ash's battle with Treecko! :-D And I liked what Brock said that disadvantages alone don't decide a battle. That was cool! Well, anyway, I didn't get to see the ending of this episode (thanks to stupid WHCP/WB30), but it was still good. And I'm glad I got to see Ash catch another Pokemon in the Hoenn region. Overall, even though I didn't see the ending, this episode gets an 8 out of 10.

"A Poached Ego!" really wasn't too bad. There were problems with the voice acting and music, as expected, but overall it didn't fare as badly as I had predicted.

Does anyone know what was said in the Japanese version when dub Ryo makes his fake death threat ("You fools! This wouldn't have happened if you'd handed over your pokemon nicely. But now it's too late for that. So, I'm going to take those pokemon and destroy you!")? I didn't hear the word korosu or any of its variants in the original version, so I don't know if he really did threaten their lives in the Japanese version. If someone could verify that for me, I'd be most appreciative :-D

"If you'd handed over the pokemon nicely, it wouldn't have to end like this. But it's too late now. I'll flatten you and take the pokemon."

Not a death threat; just a threat of extreme violence.

(If you're wondering, the exact verb used was tatakinomesu, defined in my various dictionaries as "knock sb down [out]", "floor sb with a blow", "lay low", "lay out", and similar expressions.)

I already posted my rambling review of A Poached Ego over on Serebii, so I won't bother doing so again here (plus I'm too lazy at the moment to bother with cutting and pasting). To make it short~

1. Overall I thought the episode was good, even though...
2. ...I was extremely disappointed with the music changes and some of the voice dubbing (Weezing, James). I was kind of expecting this, though.
3. I LOVE Cacnea's dub voice. To my surprise, I think they did a really great job with it, and it sounds very fitting to me.

Was it just me, or is Weezing's voice waaay different?

Seriously... in fact, I think that was honestly one of the things that annoyed me most about this episode. It actually almost sounded like the same guy to me, just like they forgot to add the echoing kind-of effect to his voice or something. Whatever.

... just once, I'd like to see a Fearow who's trainer is, without question, good. It seems like every time a Spearow/Fearow shows up, it has an antagonistic role. Dear writers: pick on a different Pokemon, plzkthx ;_; *hugs poor Fearow*

There was one time that a "nice" Fearow was shown with a "good" trainer, in the episode with the hot air balloon-race I believe (the name of which escapes me at the moment).

Yeah, I noticed that too. I was actually trying to figure out if maybe they'd done it on purpose and meant "tale", but if so that was pretty stupid.

Last edited:
Please note: The thread is from 11 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom