• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Alola Variant Pokemon: Thoughts and Predictions

Favourite Alolan form so far?

• Total voters
I wouldn't mind an Alolan Lanturn that goes for a more weird vibe like Chinchou has. Lanturn always looks so cutesy when compared to Chinchou and the fish Lanturn is based on is not remotely cute at all (Google angler fish/football fish and see). Maybe Dark/Electric would work, since the three forms so far have pretty special typings.
I want this to happen. Please, please, PLEASE give us a creepy anglerfish, GF!

let some pokes for the megavelutions too.

the Jynx is a good idea.

I think we'll get a few G2-6 Alola variant Pokemon, but it sure seems like they want to keep the focus on Kanto forever and ever. I actually think it's a good idea since a lot of the Kanto monsters are kind of boring compared to new guys.

I know this is unlikely, but how about an Alolan Celebi with a Fairy/Grass typing? If Game Freak won't touch normal Celebi's Psychic/Grass combo, then giving the Mythical an Alola form would be the next best thing. For the Ability, give it something like Flower Veil to tie in the regional flower motif.

Last but not least, let's talk about Alolan Celebi's appearance. It should be more of a golden brown color compared to the usual green, and maybe have its bulb of a head sprout into a silver flower. The color scheme would be a reference to the GS Ball.

I think we'll get a few G2-6 Alola variant Pokemon, but it sure seems like they want to keep the focus on Kanto forever and ever. I actually think it's a good idea since a lot of the Kanto monsters are kind of boring compared to new guys.

Yeah, I mean, for as much as I do complain about the Gen I favoritism, it does kind of make sense from a technical standpoint. The Gen I Pokémon were very limited in terms of how complex their designs could be, and many of them have very bad stats and repetitive or dull Abilities (just look at how many old Legendary Pokémon have Pressure, compared to the more intricate and story-themed Abilities that are given to today's Legendary Pokémon). And they have worked to rectify this for a few generations now, with Gen IV's cross-generation evolutions, Gen V's Hidden Abilities, Gen VI's Mega Evolutions and base stat increases, and now the Alola forms.

So from that point of view, I can understand it. The Gen I Pokémon are legitimately more in need of being brought up to speed. Gen II and Gen IV have relatively small numbers of new Pokémon anyway once you take out the ones that are themselves attempts to improve older Pokémon, so I suppose it is somewhat natural that they get fewer new additions, because they just don't have as much original material to work with. Gen III actually gets a fair amount of love (and it just got remade, so, you know), and Gen V's Pokémon simply don't need the boost as much.

But still, it's like... I really doubt that anybody had Audino at the top of their Gen V Mega wishlist, especially when Mega Audino turns out to not even be very good.

Last edited:
Agreed. However, I also think it'd be a good idea to do that with a lot of Johto Pokemon because, well... Johto has so many bland and uninteresting Pokemon designs, IMO.

But still, it's like... I really doubt that anybody had Audino at the top of their Gen V Mega wishlist, especially when Mega Audino turns out to not even be very good.

A big part of me really thinks Mega Audino was originally conceived as Mega Blissey before testing revealed that adding 100 base stats to Blissey and giving it Fairy-type and a status-curing aura would totally break both singles and doubles.

After giving some more thought to the Alolan forms that we were shown I have some serious questions as to why some were given the typings that they were. Why was Alolan Exeggutor given the Dragon type when it was given another head which in theory would make it psychic powers stronger? What does Alolan Ninetales have that makes it have the Fairy typing that regular Ninetales doesn't? I wouldn't have minded this as much if they had also retconned Ninetales to Fire/Fairy but I'm going to assume they haven't. And while I don't have a problem with Alolan Sandshrew and Sandslash being Ice/Steel, I feel like their explanation as to why they have those types almost works better for Avalugg. It's even compared to an aircraft carrier. How does that not make Avalugg Ice/Steel?

The logic so far would probably be

1) Only Kanto Pokemon
2) Pokemon that have not received Mega Evolutions
3) Pokemon that have not appeared in the trailer as a final form

Whatever that leaves you with, could potentially make it. Preliminary list: (-Starters, Legends, Cross-Generational, Fossil, Hitmons)

Butterfree, Raticate, Arbok, Raichu, Nidoqueen, Nidoking, Clefable, Wigglytuff, Vileplume, Parasect, Venomoth, Dugtrio, Persian, Golduck, Poliwrath, Victreebel, Tentacruel, Golem, Rapidash, Farfetch'd, Dodrio, Dewgong, Muk, Cloyster, Hypno, Kingler, Electrode, Marowak, Weezing, Seaking, Starmie, Mr Mime, Jynx, Ditto

With those options, I'd say those that most match would be Butterfree, Raticate, Arbok, Vileplume, Parasect, Venomoth, Dugtrio, Persian, Golduck, Poliwrath, Victreebel, Tentacruel, Rapidash, Dodrio, Dewgong, Cloyster, Kingler, Marowak (hinted), Weezing, Seaking, Starmie and Jynx.

There you go. Let's see what they reveal on the 12th.

(But, to waste all my time, I am pretty sure I saw a normal Exeggutor in a battle scene in one of the English or Japanese trailers. I cannot for the life of me find it now, but I was sure I saw it. In fact, the Alolan trailer doesn't show the normal Exeggutor, so I have definitely seen it. Just can't find it.)

edit: Just to test out my theory; as I'm sure they'll reveal at least 1 Alolan form on the 12th, I predict in bold which will make it to Sun and Moon.

After giving some more thought to the Alolan forms that we were shown I have some serious questions as to why some were given the typings that they were. Why was Alolan Exeggutor given the Dragon type when it was given another head which in theory would make it psychic powers stronger? What does Alolan Ninetales have that makes it have the Fairy typing that regular Ninetales doesn't? I wouldn't have minded this as much if they had also retconned Ninetales to Fire/Fairy but I'm going to assume they haven't. And while I don't have a problem with Alolan Sandshrew and Sandslash being Ice/Steel, I feel like their explanation as to why they have those types almost works better for Avalugg. It's even compared to an aircraft carrier. How does that not make Avalugg Ice/Steel?

This is my problem with them mostly. I could buy pure Ice for Ninetales and Sandslash, but them going from pure types to dual types that shares nothing in common with their "original" typing bugs me. Fairy and Steel feel too tacked on just to make "new" typings for the sake of it imo. Hopefully regular Ninetales becomes Fire/Fairy though, yeah.

I think that Exeggutor is based on the dragon tree, an introduced species to Hawaii. It's in the monocot family, making it a distant relative of palm trees.

Also, Ninetales being a Fairy makes sense to me, considering kitsune and other yokai are capricious and tricky, much like the Fair Folk of European legend.

Wait... guys... guys....
AZ's Floette...
Maybe it's an Alolan Floette.

I have considered that. However, why wouldn't it be able to evolve? And why would it have its own signature move? What about Alola's environment would necessitate that Floette develop a unique move, become incapable of evolving or breeding, and gain power comparable to that of a Florges?

I have considered that. However, why wouldn't it be able to evolve? And why would it have its own signature move? What about Alola's environment would necessitate that Floette develop a unique move, become incapable of evolving or breeding, and gain power comparable to that of a Florges?
Perhaps I can answer this one.
Floette is from Alola, originally being the end of its evolutionary line, but they migrated to Kalos and adapted to the floral environment, hence Florges' flowery body.

I really don't like these forms. I don't really get why GameFreak thought changing the designs and types of existing Pokemon was a good idea, but apparently the fans agree. I don't. I feel this is somehow disfiguring the earlier designs. It's like experimental fanart has become canon.

I was quite looking forward to S&M, but suddenly I'm not so much. I might not play the games. If I do, I'll try to ignore these forms.

It seems to me, that what with Mega Evolution's recent introduction and now this, the franchise is flailing around for novelty which they can tie to Pokemon from previous generations: brands which have already been established with the public. I don't like it, I think it's cheap.

I really don't like these forms. I don't really get why GameFreak thought changing the designs and types of existing Pokemon was a good idea, but apparently the fans agree. I don't. I feel this is somehow disfiguring the earlier designs. It's like experimental fanart has become canon.

I was quite looking forward to S&M, but suddenly I'm not so much. I might not play the games. If I do, I'll try to ignore these forms.

It seems to me, that what with Mega Evolution's recent introduction and now this, the franchise is flailing around for novelty which they can tie to Pokemon from previous generations: brands which have already been established with the public. I don't like it, I think it's cheap.
I think a lot of people feel that powering up older mons is actually good.
People are emotionally attached to older Pokemon, so redesigning them or powering them up is a good idea.
If you always have brand new Pokemon, but not follow up for older Pokemon, old fans will just leave the franchise.

Perhaps I can answer this one.
Floette is from Alola, originally being the end of its evolutionary line, but they migrated to Kalos and adapted to the floral environment, hence Florges' flowery body.
Excellent Thoery, I Like it; it is VERY well possible, really.

Could the Alola-form Pokemon be Pokemon Transferred from the Pokemon Virtual Console games INTO Sun and Moon?!?!?!?!?!?!??!

Last edited:
Why are some people worried that their transferred Pokemon will suddenly change types? This is not a retcon like with the Fairy type. They're new variants that can be found exclusively in Alola because they adapted to a new environment. So if your Ninetales or Sandslash has been caught in a region other than Alola it's safe to assume they will retain their original typing.

Anyway, I've been thinking about the rumored Fighting-type Abra variation and I came up with the idea of Kadabra and Alakazam holding knives instead of spoons. MAKE IT HAPPEN GAMEFREAK!

Back
Top Bottom