• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Anime & Manga General Discussion

I don't think the writers had any plans for the Unova starters at all. Even Tepig evolving felt random. The writers had no idea what to do with them and it showed
At least they had great interactions amongst the cast

(Glances over at the Galar Starters)

It bugs me that the Galarian Starters didn't have the obligatory "Starter" episode with the focus on them or them doing something comical. It feels like a sacred tradition has been broken to not have all three of them appear on screen in the animated series before evolving.

When Oshawott’s main objective was to get over its fears of opening its eyes under-water, despite humans, and every single type, being able to do that in the anime, you know it was bad.

Also, does anyone know why the Unova starters’ move sets were so close to being mono-type?
This isn’t the games, so diverse move-sets aren’t needed, but it’s odd. There’s balance between close and long distance moves options keeps the battles expansive, but overall, wouldn’t it be more appealing to show off the starters having unique/various techniques to stand out more? Having pretty much one type for fighting just limits the showcasing - combining Ice Beam with its water-moves could have added a new edge, or giving Pignite Rollout to combine with Flame Charge, generating more power each revolution. Instead, how are the moves supposed to be fused and lead to various angles when they generally have the same appliance? In a way, this restricted Ash, he couldn’t apply adaptive counters since his moves were so similar.

Snivy - Leaf Blade, Vine Whip, Leaf Storm, Attract (I get Snivy doesn’t have a diverse learn-set in Gen V, but still)
Pignite - Fire Pledge, Flame Charge, Flamethrower, Brick Break
Oshawott - Aqua Jet, Razor Shell, Hydro Pump, Tackle (Like, seriously? Tackle? No Fury Cutter or Revenge?)

It bugs me that the Galarian Starters didn't have the obligatory "Starter" episode with the focus on them or them doing something comical. It feels like a sacred tradition has been broken to not have all three of them appear on screen in the animated series before evolving.
Yeah I'm incredibly upset that we didn't get a "Tiny Trio on a Big Adventure" type of episode with the Galar Starters

If Journeys is to be known of one thing, it's breaking perhaps more formulas than any previous series.

Yeah, this is another thing I was very disappointed about, on top of Ash not getting a single Galarian starter. That's 3 traditions this series has ignored and I don't think worked out. We never had them all debut together. Ash didn't get a single starter. Then we never got the starters adventure episode.

Yeah, this is another thing I was very disappointed about, on top of Ash not getting a single Galarian starter. That's 3 traditions this series has ignored and I don't think worked out. We never had them all debut together. Ash didn't get a single starter. Then we never got the starters adventure episode.
I'm actually enjoying Ash not getting a Galar starter. It allows his team composition to be less predictable.

I'm actually enjoying Ash not getting a Galar starter. It allows his team composition to be less predictable.
I'm sorry but it just feels wrong and they've been poorly handled under Goh. We probably would have at least had a better arc with one of them if Ash got one. Maybe Grookey would actually get some better development or an arc when in the hands of a character that actually needs to train their Pokemon. And you say this as if him having just one starter would have made the whole team predictable when he'd still have 4 slots that would remain unpredictable.

Last edited:
I'm sorry but it just feels wrong and they've been poorly handled under Goh. We probably would have at least had a better arc with one of them if Ash got one. Maybe Grookey would actually get some better development or an arc when in the hands of a character that actually needs to train their Pokemon.
Lucario’s arc says “Hi”. A half-commitment arc that barely qualifies as one. Hell, even Dragonite and Dracovish don’t have proper ones. And Gengar is getting one so late and out of nowhere, it’ll probably be like Lucario’s.
I think the odds would have been better yes, but knowing the way they’ve handled arcs with majority of the Pokemon, I honestly doubt it would have mattered. The only positive is that they would have got shown off in more interesting ways with Ash.

Last edited:
Lucario’s arc says “Hi”. A half-arsed arc that barely qualifies as one. Hell, even Dragonite and Dracovish don’t have proper ones. And Gengar is getting one so late and out of nowhere, it’ll probably be like Lucario’s.
I think the odds would have been better yes, but knowing the way they’ve handled arcs with majority of the Pokemon, I honestly doubt it would have mattered. The only positive is that they would have got shown off in more interesting ways with Ash.
The writers have been horrible when it comes to how they've handled the Pokemon this series in general. Its more like Pokemon in a human's world. Its frustrating after Sun and Moon did so well with them especially. They've really dropped the ball on the Pokemon. Being honest though, I'd rather see a half assed arc than nothing. Its like you said, at least Ash would be able to show off the starters in a more interesting way than Goh has.

Personal bias due to my distaste for the monkey's line.

I would have preferred having Messon in Satoshi's team instead.
Since it eventually got the desire to develop self-confidence and be stronger.

And for the green gremlin, its stages being owned by Cotds.

The writers this series are doing a horrible job, it is lackluster and disheartening.
Seeing how a series that promised a lot fails miserably to deliver.

Although, since I am also getting disappointed by Satoshi; my scenario can change in the future.

I feel like Grookey would've been a great match for Chloe prior to Eevee coming in and hijacking her.

When we first meet Chloe she's apathetic towards Pokemon right? She's also pretty gloomy and snarky

Grookey is the complete opposite of that.

It's cheerful, mischievous, disposition would've made a more interesting contrast to S1 Chloe

Even her Japanese name meaning Spring fits with Grookey's ability to make Plants and Flowers grows

I feel like Grookey would've been a great match for Chloe prior to Eevee coming in and hijacking her.

When we first meet Chloe she's apathetic towards Pokemon right? She's also pretty gloomy and snarky

Grookey is the complete opposite of that.

It's cheerful, mischievous, disposition would've made a more interesting contrast to S1 Chloe

Even her Japanese name meaning Spring fits with Grookey's ability to make Plants and Flowers grows
Eevee fits Chloe better IMO. Her biggest character trait is her indecisiveness towards her future goal, which an indecisive Eevee with multiple potential evolutions reflects perfectly.

Eevee fits Chloe better IMO. Her biggest character trait is her indecisiveness towards her future goal, which an indecisive Eevee with multiple potential evolutions reflects perfectly.
Yes but I'm tired of Girls always getting an Eevee

It's happened for the last 3 Generations now.

So you can't blame people for wanting to see something different

We'll always see an Eevee on the main cast at some point.

We'll never see another Grookey on the main cast until we possibly get Gen 8 Remakes in another Decade and even then it's only a 1/3 chance of it being Grookey (or maybe none since we didn't get a Hoenn Starter on the Cast in Gen 6 and a Sinnoh Starter is looking unlikely for Journeys as well)

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure this Eevee can't evolve though. They tried stones and everything, yet nothing worked.

I don't have a problem with her having an Eevee, but the problem is that this Eevee has completely overshadowed Yamper.

With Chloe, Eevee arguably fits better than with any other girl character, because of the reasons I gave above.
Yeah but I'd argue that this came a little too late

At this point Eevee has been so tired and overdone.

(Maybe if Lana hadn't been given that pointless Sandy people would be more accepting.)

Also to quote myself

We will ALWAYS see an Eevee on the main cast at some point.

We will never see another Grookey on the main cast until we possibly get Gen 8 Remakes in another Decade and even then it's only a 1/3 chance of it being Grookey (or maybe none since we didn't get a Hoenn Starter on the Cast in Gen 6 and a Sinnoh Starter is looking unlikely for Journeys as well)

Back
Top Bottom