• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Anime & Manga General Discussion

Yeah, I honestly don't see much of a good reason to continue Journeys. All the major storylines are wrapping up and likely wouldn't continue onto the next series. Ash's goal for this series was to battle Leon and he has got his wish. He's about to battle him in the most important battle of his entire career. Goh's storyline is likely going to wrap up this series, considering we probably have a backlog of episodes that will cause a new series start date to be delayed. Goh has a proper exit with Project Mew, but I wouldn't be opposed to having him end the series going off with them and returning for a special episode in whatever is next, similarly to Lillie. There just isn't much reason to keep him on the main cast though. Then Chloe...Yeah, if they couldn't even bother to make her a main character, no way she's staying after they wrapped up her storyline in the most anticlimactic manner. There's more than enough reason to speculate that Journeys is ending, whether its by November or it will end early 2023 instead. Its just logical for fans to think that we'll be moving on, considering all storylines are wrapping up and that its just normal for them to move onto something new once a new generation begins. I'm crossing my fingers that the October 14th announcement is indeed the SV series.

I can't really see them continuing Journeys at this rate. I don't see them doing the PWC again, it shouldn't take too long to wrap up Goh's storyline, especially when I still think that Project Mew is going to be used primarily to write him out of the series, I don't see them keeping the world tour aspect without the PWC, Goh's goal or after the anime's anniversary and I can't see Chloe sticking around for another series. If they couldn't make her a proper main character after becoming a trainer or even have her watch Ash's Master Class battles with Goh, I don't think that there is much interest in her to last through another series.

I remember people speculating that the name Pocket Monster meant that the anime would keep that title forever. While that isn't impossible, I always felt like that was a stretch, or at least looking way too hard into a name change. I just assumed that they wanted the title to stick out, especially for the anime's anniversary, and make it clear that they weren't going to focus exclusively on Sword/Shield. The anime likes to shake up the status quo every few years with a new cast, new locations and new storylines. I assume that will happen with Journeys as well.
I mean I do agree with every point here, but how is that technically possible? If Ash vs. Leon is a three parter and we take a week break before the hypothetical new series begins, it leaves us only one episode after the battle. Will it be the end of Goh's story and Ash's story in the Journeys? The series typically always saved one "farewell" episode. If Ash vs. Leon is a two-parter, how weird it would be considering even the semi finals got three-parter. The math just does not make it happen with me, despite of all the odds leaning towards the end of Journeys so far. I am as confused as a Psyduck.

I mean I do agree with every point here, but how is that technically possible? If Ash vs. Leon is a three parter and we take a week break before the hypothetical new series begins, it leaves us only one episode after the battle. Will it be the end of Goh's story and Ash's story in the Journeys? The series typically always saved one "farewell" episode. If Ash vs. Leon is a two-parter, how weird it would be considering even the semi finals got three-parter. The math just does not make it happen with me, despite of all the odds leaning towards the end of Journeys so far. I am as confused as a Psyduck.
At this point, given the amount of clip shows and breaks, I assume that the new series is going to be starting a bit later this year. Given the fast pace that Journeys always has had, I don't think it would be impossible for them to wrap up the series before Scarlet/Violet come out. Whether or not they could wrap things up in a satisfying manner is up for debate, but I could see them trying to wrap things up that quickly. I really don't think that they'd need to devote more than an episode or two to conclude Goh's storyline. The new series being delayed until shortly after the new games come out could give them a bit more time to finish Journeys though, which is what I'm leading towards happening at the moment.

Just seen this on twitter, could explain the current problems with the anime

so it appears that it's not just COVID to blame here, i've heard about how much of a burnout working on anime is so I wouldn't be surprised if OLM lost all those employees because of horrendous working conditions and now it's finally come back to bite them in the ass.

so it appears that it's not just COVID to blame here, i've heard about how much of a burnout working on anime is so I wouldn't be surprised if OLM lost all those employees because of horrendous working conditions and now it's finally come back to bite them in the ass.
Especially when working on an anime that has been going for 20+ years.

Based on this, I have to say I'm a lot more sympathetic now with the problems that have been plaguing Journeys and the Pokemon anime in general. But I do have to ask: why on earth did OLM think it was a good idea to make a new series/continue Journeys when they lost so much of their staff? Do they just not care?

But I do have to ask: why on earth did OLM think it was a good idea to make a new series/continue Journeys when they lost so much of their staff? Do they just not care?
Although the highers ups may not care about any particular show they make the writers, animators, and so on may well not want to abandon a series mid-airing when it has plotlines to resolve, and even if they'd ended it at Sun/Moon before starting JN that would still leave a situation where we'd never actually see Ash defeat an official regional champion (Kukui's status being a bit unusual).

Except that explains very little. Shedding dedicated employees is one thing, but this is an industry that breathes off of freelance artists. I would be surprised at how they didn’t simply do what Americans do and hire temps and freelance because hiring a bunch of temps is cheaper than a dedicated employee

Based on this, I have to say I'm a lot more sympathetic now with the problems that have been plaguing Journeys and the Pokemon anime in general. But I do have to ask: why on earth did OLM think it was a good idea to make a new series/continue Journeys when they lost so much of their staff? Do they just not care?
I would assume that they didn't have a choice. I imagine any higher ups at OLM and/or TPCI would want the anime to continue regardless of any production problems or losing staff members. Plus, I think that trying to get more employees would be a better solution than just stopping the anime altogether.

Interesting. I didn't know they were hemorrhaging employees even before Journeys began. Maybe that's a big reason behind the formula of Journeys - by relegating the cast to two people with an episodic schedule (and the world tour allowing for flexibility in story telling), they wanted to ease the workload? It's just a guess, but I do think the lack of employees played a part in that decision. And of course the quality of Journeys speaks for itself. This does concern me for the future of Scarlet & Violet's anime adaption.

Interesting. I didn't know they were hemorrhaging employees even before Journeys began. Maybe that's a big reason behind the formula of Journeys - by relegating the cast to two people with an episodic schedule (and the world tour allowing for flexibility in story telling), they wanted to ease the workload? It's just a guess, but I do think the lack of employees played a part in that decision. And of course the quality of Journeys speaks for itself. This does concern me for the future of Scarlet & Violet's anime adaption.
I think it was officially stated early on that the JN formula was because of the air time being on Sundays (although it was later changed) where families were often going out instead of staying home, so they wanted it to be easier to just jump in on any episode.
It's possible that reason was not the whole story, of course.

So, I wasn't sure where to put this, but apparently early footage from the English Dub of JN109 has been released, and I happened to stumble across it on Twitter.

Here it is:

Not sure if this is leaked material. If the TV schedules and time zones are to be believed, this episode has just debuted in Australia.

Not sure if this is leaked material. If the TV schedules and time zones are to be believed, this episode has just debuted in Australia.
Too funny, but a literal second before you wrote that, I had just read that it airs in Australia on the 11th (except I'm guessing it's already the 11th there now based on the differing time zones.)

Edit: Yep. It is indeed the 11th there right now, since Australia is 15 hours ahead of us here in America.

While there wasn't an episode last week, the anipoke Twitter account had actually uploaded a comic in the after-story style featuring Koharu:

So basically an Autumn appreciation post. But just for fun, if there were an anime episode that accompanied this comic, what would you think it'd be about?

While there wasn't an episode last week, the anipoke Twitter account had actually uploaded a comic in the after-story style featuring Koharu:

So basically an Autumn appreciation post. But just for fun, if there were an anime episode that accompanied this comic, what would you think it'd be about?

Perhaps low confidence and a fear of failure?

Hoping with everything in me that we'll get some sort of animated series for Scarlet and Violet. Whether that be a traditional series, a Twilight Wings equivalent or something else, I don't care, I just hope for something. I NEED to see Iono in an anime. She's too precious, adorable, and entertaining to not get some kind of anime appearance. :bulbaLove:

I'm excited to see her in Pokemon Adventures (assuming that remains consistent). I hope she'll appear semi-early :bulbaWave:

Back
Top Bottom