• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Are you annoyed BW is skipping most game characters?

ProfOaked

Fluffy Waffles
Reaction score
I'll be honest....I don't like how BW is making anime only characters instead of using the game characters. I mean is Trip The new rival with Riolu and the Eevee really needed? I don't see why Cheren was not put in over Trip since it doesn't seem were getting BW2 Cheren as a gym leader in the anime or why Hugh,Mei or Nate could not have been the rivals instead of Kyotetsu (If that is his name) and the Eevee man. In shows like Inazuma Eleven for example that promote the games via the anime they show pretty much all the game characters. I fail to see how making anime only is helping promote the games. I understand no N due to Plasma for some reason not being in the anime but it just feels too many characters are being skipped for no reason in BW. I remember in DP they had Riley and the rest of those guys even through they just were in 1 episode. Now I understand BW is not over but idk it just feels showing anyone one of them post league would just feel rushed.

Re: Are you annoyed BW is skipping msot game charecters?

Personally, I'm mostly disappointed with N not being in the anime at this point because I really liked him in the games. I understand why that's a problematic issue with Team Plasma, but it still kind of disappoints me that he hasn't appeared in the anime yet. Seeing Cheren in the anime would be nice and I'd take him over Trip. At least he might not have such an annoying personality if he was the main rival. A part of me thinks that they went with another anime-only rival because of how Paul turned out, but I don't think going for another anime-only rival right after Paul was the best choice. He could still appear later on in the series, depending on if they want to make him a Gym Leader or not. It would be kind of weird if he didn't have a connection to Bianca though.

As for Hugh, I thought that he would appear as a League rival, but maybe it has something to do with his role in B2/W2 not fitting with the anime. While seeing the playable trainers from B2/W2 would be nice, they probably wouldn't get more than a brief cameo at the start of a movie. I don't mind having anime-only rivals since they can be interesting characters, or at least be entertaining, but seeing more of the rivals from the games, if it were possible, would have been nice for this series.

I prefer when they make up there own characters makes it feel like a view of Pokemon world rather just an adaptation. I much prefer Morrison to Wally.. If they use the games' characters there is the risk of it being a misrepresentation.

The writers probably feel that Hugh is too connected to the Plasma-Dan for them to bother featuring.

Most? They've only skipped over a handful of the rivals.

I am a bit upset about that. Not only have they not shown any of the other main game characters from BW/BW 2 but N, Cheren and alot of other game characters have been neclected in some way. The only one that has got justice was Bianca and Iris so far.

Like I have mentioned in some other thread, it's like the writers are...scared to use most of the NPCs that aren't a gym leader or champion. So they have to make their own characters to play the role of rival or whatever. It's a bit disappointing since I find some of the BW game characters to be a bit more interesting than past game characters and they get skipped.

Having a mix of the two (game-verse and anime-only rivals, ect.) would be interesting...

Hm, I wouldn't really say annoyed. Just dissapointed that Cheren hasn't appeared yet. I personally think he would have been a better main rival than Trip could ever be.

I thought Trip was suppose to be the animé version of Cheren? In that case, I really couldn't care less if he showed up or not.

N is the only one that I'm hugely upset about that they skipped. He was a great character in the games, and it's such a shame that he hasn't appeared in the animé.

I wouldn't say I'm annoyed but I'm certainly not happy. The Diamond & Pearl series had several episodes featuring game characters but Best Wishes! prefers to ignore most of them. What saddens me the most is the absence of the villainous team and the Elite Four members (I so wanted to see Grimsley in the anime). Truth be told, Best Wishes! has been terrible at presenting the fifth generation attractions; the concept of Triple Battles was addressed in only one episode while the Rotation Battles were completely ignored. In addition to that, the Battle Subway and the Musical were squeezed into a filler episode about a little girl who loses her Axew. Oh joy.

When it comes to rivals, though, I really don't mind anime-exclusive characters being used in place of game ones, I think it makes things easier for the writers because it allows them to create a different history and to give a different personality to the character. In my opinion Paul was a far better main rival than Barry could have been, and although Trip's story has many similarities with Cheren's, their personalities are very different and that distances them.

nope. only oes i am mad that they havent put in are Plasma and hilbert(though he might go into a movie cameo). cheren Hugh and Kyouhei i could realyl not give a crud if they didnt show up (id like that to be that way). the only one who i feel annoyed is that Hilda and Mei hasnt showed up. depending on what iris does is wether we might see one of those two

Maybe it was the warrior names, but I felt like Hilda and Hilbert would overshine Ash by a mile. Same goes for the BW2 protagonists because of the trailer. So, while Hilda and Mei are some of my favorite Pokemon characters, their personas in my mind are just so overwhelming. As many have said, Hugh doesn't really fit in until Team Plasma gets some exposition.

The one person who really upsets me by being absent is Cheren. I liked him during BW and I began to fangirl his sexy BW2 design immediately. And seeing Bianca just makes it worse. I would almost prefer Bianca saying SOMETHING about her friends if we aren't going to show them...not a running gag but just a little reference now and then would be adorable. And I can just FEEL the looks Cheren would give Ash at some of his antics.

N...is complicated. I guess I would really like to see Plasma first. Then again, his relationship seemed so special with the protagonist of BW that it might feel sort of cheap for Ash to meet him too. Or, I should say, meet him as the king of Team Plasma. If he appeared it would obviously be unavoidable, but one side of me likes not having Ash up in every world saving scenario and another thinks Plasma should get their butts in action already.

I guess at this point I just don't feel like I ever know what to expect out of BW...both in a good and a bad way. So I'm content with just having characters in the games and having a variety in the anime, albeit characters who are very similar to the game characters. I'm not so much annoyed as curious as to how the whole BW saga will turn out. Maybe some of theses characters and othes still have time to appear...but, if they don't, I won't really feel terrible either way.

Cheren might be in later on if Ash and co. head to the city where Cheren is the gym leader.

I'm most disappointed that Hilda/Touko/White hasn't been featured, especially since the female protagonist has been the traveling companion in the last two generations. Why they chose Iris is still a mystery to me.

I'm less annoyed by the ones they've skipped than the ones that were screwed over so badly I wish they hadn't appeared at all. Marlon looked like he'd be an interesting chara- lol nope punching bag for the new rival...aaand he's gone.

Yeah. Disappointed would be the right word. The game has a lot of wonderful NPCs, but the anime isn't using them for some reason. The Riolu boy was unnecessary - why create another character when there's Cheren and Hugh - both who could be wonderful League rivals?

N is kinda too difficult a character to portray, so I'm going to leave him for now even though I'm disappointed that Team Plasma was ignored.

Not really annoyed, they included Bell at least, which is good. I'd love to see Cheren turn up though.

Honestly, I am very upset that Team Plasma hasn't shown up yet, and Team Rocket is just watching the twerps rather than attacking them. Ash will get lazy soon...

Please note: The thread is from 12 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom