• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Contest Ash vs. Game!Red

Red stands on a Mountain all day, training and he's the Kanto Champion! How much more epic can you get?

Honestly, Red... I think Ash has better character development (mostly because ash has character development, and dialogue, etc.) than the game's Red, but Red is the strongest NPC in the entire series, by level, league champion, wrecked Team rocket's entire Kanto operation, Spends basically all his time training on Mt. Silver - which is such a tough area most trainers aren't even allowed to enter it, he just seems to be the superior trainer.
As for their personalities and them as characters... well, Red isn't much of a character, he's a mute protaganist with very little revealed about him. I suppose you could infer a lot from the events of the games he appears in, and how he reacts - eg. going out of his way to beat up team rocket intead of just dealing with the specific grunts blocking him from gyms/etc. and that he decides to train alone on a mountain and never really shows up anywhere, so separated from everything that even his mom doesn't know what he's up to. So, I think in that respect, Ash wins out, but only because he is an actual character, rather than an avatar of the player, which Red seems to be.

I prefer Pokemon Adventures(manga) Red to Ash and game Red, both as a trainer and in terms of personality/character development.

Red.

Did Red reset every time he goes to a new region? Did Red travel with gym leaders and need help? Did Red blabber about food and water? Did Red leave his Pokémon behind when he went to Johto?

Did Ash train up top of Mt. Silver for three years to get Level 80 Pokémon? Did Ash travel alone? Was Ash silent? Did Ash not care about food? Did Ash defeat Giovanni and destroyed Team Rocket? Did Ash defeat Lance and his rival at the end?

No.

Red automatically wins. Red can defeat Ash easily.

It depends on the situation. Red is undoubtably the superior trainer in terms of raw power, but Ash is the one I'd want to be friends with. And isn't being friends with your Pokemon just as important as raw battling strength, if not more.

It depends on the situation. Red is undoubtably the superior trainer in terms of raw power, but Ash is the one I'd want to be friends with. And isn't being friends with your Pokemon just as important as raw battling strength, if not more.

Red is also friends with his Pokemon, as Oak said. He has power and compassion.

Satoshi, because he have charisma and a personality.
Red is just an avatar for the players.

Even as avatar, I think he isn't the best, since I prefer Leaf's design over his.

PokeSpe Red is better than both Satoshi and Game!Red, by the way.

PokeSpe Red is better than both Satoshi and Game!Red, by the way.

Hahah, someone who speaks my language. Yup, I'd choose PokeSpe Red over the other two as well. Now THAT is a Trainer of Legend!

But if I were to choose just between the two, then I'd pick Red. Red is the embodiment of the perfect trainer, blending his personal preferences with what makes a winning team. Ash/Satoshi from the anime seems to have never learned anything from all his experiences and still insists on his hit-or-miss strategy of it's-not-in-the-typing-but-in-the-will-to-win, or something like that (though, to be fair, anime battle physics don't apply similarly to the game's). I'm surprised he hasn't had any Pokemon die on him outright, heheh.

Red is also friends with his Pokemon, as Oak said. He has power and compassion.

Well, Ash takes much better care of his Pikachu, I can tell you that much. I've only faced Red once in HG and did absolutely nothing significant against him, but he wore his own Pikachu out by making it use Volt Tackle repeatedly while being hailed on. Not to mention that Ash doesn't make my Pokemon scared. (But, then, that could be because Ash isn't as powerful a trainer as Red is, as I've stated before.)

Red just creeps me out. He doesn't say a word, just decimates my level 55s with his level 88s.

Well, Ash takes much better care of his Pikachu, I can tell you that much. I've only faced Red once in HG and did absolutely nothing significant against him, but he wore his own Pikachu out by making it use Volt Tackle repeatedly while being hailed on. Not to mention that Ash doesn't make my Pokemon scared. (But, then, that could be because Ash isn't as powerful a trainer as Red is, as I've stated before.)

Red just creeps me out. He doesn't say a word, just decimates my level 55s with his level 88s.

That's not really fair to compare an anime character to AI mechanics. :p And recoil moves aren't a sign of bad care, Ash uses Volt Tackle as well.

(But, then, that could be because Ash isn't as powerful a trainer as Red is, as I've stated before.)

In terms of strategy, I think Satoshi (specially DP!Satoshi) is far better than Game!Red.
His DP team is also better than Red's team.

Red's Pokémon are just overleveled... And since there is no level in the anime, it is hard to compare.

It is a shame that BW!Satoshi is a joke compared to DP!Satoshi.

I came to see Red smashingg Ash;
I got what I were after.

Overally I've grown to like them equally by now,
but there is still one HUGE difference...Red actually learned something on his travels.

What I mean is something like these moments:
"- Umm...Ash...Leonoras Watchogg used Mean Look on your Poke, why are you trying still trying to call it back?! C'mon man! You wen't through this way back when you fought against Morty for gods sake!"
"- Yes Ash...Roark used stone edge against you because it is super effective against flying types..."

I mean...Sometimes I honestly think that he ending up that far in p.leagues was a fluke...

One pic:
Pokemon_Red_Vs._Ash.jpg

Yeah Red rules

Attachments

• Pokemon_Red_Vs._Ash.jpg
    Pokemon_Red_Vs._Ash.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 48,153
Game!Red. He's way more awesome. And he kind of embodies what a lot of Pokémon fans would love to be. A badass, looked-up-to, Pokémon trainer who everyone respects, right? Also, his battle in G/S/C/HG/SS is one of the most awesome battles in the series.

You know a lot people seem to get caught up in the mythical aura of Red, and it's not hard to see why with that epic battle in GSCHGSS, as well as his accomplishments in his original journey. But I mean really, when you look at him as a character, you see that for everything he's accomplished, well... how did it turn out?

Oh yeah. He lives alone as a mute hermit on a mountain where it hails all the time.

Honestly, that's the part of Red's story that I ponder about the most. It's like after he became Champion, the idea that there was no one left to battle led to some kind of midlife crisis. So he went off to live in the harsh environment of Mt. Silver, abandoning his friends, family, and former life for years to train his Pokemon obsessively in the hopes of finding a purpose.

It's really kind of depressing if you think about it.

And then there's the fact that he's a Mary Sue. I mean yeah, all of the player characters are Sues, and it's not such a big deal in a video game where you get to play the Sue as your own form of wish fulfillment. But if I'm not playing as him, why would I care about the story of a kid who after he got his first Pokemon proceeded to beat down everyone in sight?

When people write fanfics like that the general consensus is that they suck. That's because we're not the Sue, so we're not getting any wish fulfillment, and can see the forest instead of the trees. (That they are living perfection and therefore we're unable to relate.)

So yeah, Game!Red has some psychological issues, and the sad fact is that that is the first flaw he ever had.

On the other hand, Ash has lots of flaws, as many in this fandom would be quick to point out. And honestly, when it comes to his training it's for the better or the worse as to how they play out. In some ways it provided somewhat more realism in how long it takes and hard it is to reach the top, in others they screwed up his progression making him seem practically static, which where the idiot and clueless comments come from.

Personally I thought they were doing fairly decently until Best Wishes. But of course that's where they forgot that time has to pass, and some character development has to be made for things to continue to remain believable. A non existent time line in the show does not work, but that's another debate for another time.

In the end though, despite everything, Ash just entertains me more. *shot*

I only know Red from the games, and his utter silence seems to be a thing of his considering a battle in Crystal resulted in him staying quiet all the time. Made him look like a meanie. So, I'm gonna hafta go with Ash.

Please note: The thread is from 10 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom