• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Contest Ash vs. Game!Red

Let's give this a play by play. Assuming Ash has his strongest mons for this battle, Red uses his HGSS team, and neither switch out, i believe it'll go like this

Red and Ash both send out pikachu as openers. They are both pretty evenly matched, but i give ash's the win because he win because he's beaten 2 legendaries(granted one was by double knockout)

Red sends out venusaur, his only poemon with a resistance to electric types. Predictable, Venusaur wins with little effort thanks to the aforementioned advantage plus pikachu being weakened. Ash sends out Charizard, and he wins quite handily, though venusaur manages to poison him with sludge bomb. Red sends out lapras, who's brine attack knocks out charizard after two hits. Ash next uses Infarnape, who pummels Lapras with mach punches until it faints. Red goes for blastoise next, who defeats infernape with a hydro cannon. Ash uses sceptile, who KO's blastoise with leaf blade during the recharge period. Red obviously uses his own charizard, who defeats sceptile with a flare blitz, though sceptile did get some damage in with quick attack. Ash sends out kingler, Who uses crambhammer on charizard. it responds with air slash. the result is a double KO. Now, it's down to ash's snorlax and red's snorlax. Ash ends up winning because his snorlax can heal wih rest, while red's doesn't know that move

so, ash by a hair

Anyone who abandons his/her family who loves him is nothing but a pathetic loser. Game!Red as of GSC/HGSS is anything but badass.

you try standing at the top of mount everest for three f*cking years.

That's not exactly an accomplishment that would make people envious...

And in any case, this is all assuming Red was on the mountain for three whole years.

Anyone who abandons his/her family who loves him is nothing but a pathetic loser. Game!Red as of GSC/HGSS is anything but badass.

Tell me, did Red's mother ACTUALLY say he hasn't been home in three years?

Either way, I think Red will win. If it were scripted, Red would win simply because the writers need to keep Ash losing so they can keep using him. IRL, I think Ash would still lose just because Red actually uses hold items.

Ash, because he isn't an extraordinarily overrated/boring/loser trainer like Red is.

I think people are going off their head!cannon Red a bit more than actual Red. Because we hardly have any information about Red in the first place, I don't really blame people for doing so... but I dunno.

Does a person's achievements really make them the better person? I mean remember that the scenarios in the game and in the anime are very different. In the game the goal to be reached is to become champion, and to beat TR. The game is structured so that it's not all too difficult to achieve that (in comparison to everything else you can do).

In the slightly more realistic anime world, the entire world is not set up so that Ash can become the champion, and in fact for the sake of continuing the series the anime is actually against him becoming champion. When Red has to beat a Darkrai and a Latios just to have a shot of beating the elite 4, then we can talk about just how awesome he is.

Red's super team in HGSS, remember that he worked for 3 years or so to get that team. Ash is still 10. At the rate he's going, by the time he's Red's age he'll probably have 3 teams equal in power to Red. Also, because Ash is still 10 you can't say that Red is better just because he won champion. Red got that title when he was 10, Ash's journey is continuous so until he turns 11 you can't really say Red is better.

I didn't vote because honestly I like my head cannon for Red. I also like Ash, however, so this wall of text is pretty much me defending his honor.

Ash, Ash, Ash, a million times.

Because any love or hate toward him can be backed up with canon evidence. (and I think he's aDERPable)

With Red, most of his accomplishments are romanticized by the fans. And his accomplishments are the only thing you can pretty much praise him for...there's no personality, hardly a backstory, and he has limited personal interaction with the other characters...

There are many characterizations of Red since he is supposed to be your player avatar. My head!canon for him is pretty sweet, but it's not real. I don't see him as this silent, brooding badass. From the NPC's description of him, he's probably just a polite, soft spoken and slightly mischievous child...who grows up to be a hermit on a mountain.

I don't love Game Red, and never did. I feel that he is all that he needs to be, and nothing more. Ash, however, has been grating on my nerves for an improbably long time. Doesn't change, doesn't learn from his mistakes, and something of an idiot. I realize most Ash fanboys are going to respond with "OMG ASH DEVELOPED IN DP HE DIDN'T LET PAUL BAIT HIM XD", but it matters not (and I really don't think that change in his character is the product of character development so much as inconsistent writers).
Put it this way: If you had to be trapped in an elevator with Red or Ash, who would you pick? The silent one, or the obnoxious one?
Yeah, I thought so.

Last edited:
Thats kind of a hard one....

If Ash got all of his powerhouses (Charizard, Snorlax, Sceptile ect.) he would....

But Red has Saur, Lax and Pika...

Oh, dont make me pick!

Put it this way: If you had to be trapped in an elevator with Red or Ash, who would you pick? The silent one, or the obnoxious one?
Yeah, I thought so.

Honestly, I'd probably pick Ash. I know that he's loud, obnoxious, childish, etc. but the thing is, I don't talk much. Being stuck in an elevator with somebody like Red who also doesn't talk much would get awkward in all the silence. At least Ash would try to start a conversation.

It's alright if you think differently and I understand if you don't like the Ash type of character, but as for me I find those types of characters endearing.

Tell me, did Red's mother ACTUALLY say he hasn't been home in three years?

Either way, I think Red will win. If it were scripted, Red would win simply because the writers need to keep Ash losing so they can keep using him. IRL, I think Ash would still lose just because Red actually uses hold items.

IIRC, she says she hasn't heard from him in a while nor does she know where he is. Atleast in GSC. Not sure about HGSS.

Re: Ash vs. Red

Red. Not only is he the strongest NPC to date in any region he managed to defeat at least one [real] league.

It's the same person basically0_0
Anyway i picked Red

This I will ignore, since you did not just say that ;]

Please, Ash is just some brat pretending to be Red. That's how he comes off to me anyway.

Techically true, since the anime is based on the games, which existed beforehand.

Last edited:
I prefer Red. He is after all the first playable character that I played as in Yellow. I thought Ash was kind of cool back when I was a child, but now he just seems rather weak and somewhat annoying (especially after the voice change).

i cant really decide. But like the elevator thing it'd be a bit akward with Red. Especially since I would be one of those hawt female protagonists lol! But either one of them would be tough if it were a champ match

i picked red, but then i realized how disappointingly easy he was to defeat in HG/SS.

Please note: The thread is from 10 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom