• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Contest Ash vs. Game!Red

Re: Ash vs. Red

the truth of the matter is that red just has revamped versions of ash's pokemon. which makes sense because you couldnt actually fight red himself until gold and silver which came out after ash's kanto party was established

i guess its red though cause he is the strongest trainer in any game :D

So what, Ash doesn't win often. If you think Pokemon is all about winning battles, then you are clearly mistaken. Ash cares more about his pokemon and their well-being than he does about winning league tournaments.

Wake up and smell the oran berries. That has no real effect on how strong your pokemon are in real life. (By real life I mean the games.) I can treat my pokemon like sh*t and still wipe out the elite 4.

There's no point in mentioning in-game Red as technically you are him at one point or another. If you're going to go with the HG/SS Red then Ash wins. Red has very little story or characterisation to go off (which oddly works, it makes Red very mysterious) and only really serves as a pinnacle to be topped. Even his level 88 Pikachu is the strongest ingame Pokemon in the series so far.

For the PokeSpe Red, I'd have to say I prefer Red. I do like Ash, but the fact that he always catches a lot of Regional starters grates me. He also always starts with only Pikachu whenever he goes to a new region. While this allows him to catch new Pokemon and use them, older Pokemon get very little continuity (such as Bulbasaur & Swellow) and it ruins their character. Red doesn't have this problem. He seems to stick with the same team; they even get nicknames. Ash's team regularly swaps which I think is a great advantage that Red has over Ash. I'm not saying Ash shouldn't catch new Pokemon but old faces would be nice to see, it'd really improve Ash's supporting cast. All he has are a lot of captured Pokemon that don't get a lot of screentime because there are so many of them.

That and frankly I prefer the Kanto/Johto characterization of Ash. He was too much of a Goody Two-Shoes during the Hoenn & Sinnoh sagas.

Last edited:

Wake up and smell the oran berries. That has no real effect on how strong your pokemon are in real life. (By real life I mean the games.) I can treat my pokemon like sh*t and still wipe out the elite 4.

And I mean the anime when I refer to "real life,". It is YOU who should wake up. If I was a character in the anime, I would care more about my pokemon. If you treated your pokemon like dirt in the anime, your pokemon would sooner or later turn on you before you even get a chance to challenge the Elite Four. The anime is more "real" than the games, which is why I prefer Ash over Red. In the anime, Pokemon are not treated as tools who are left to rot inside a PC. In the anime, there is more interaction between the characters. In the anime, winning is not important and you are not forced into battle by random trainers and the only way to progress further is to win.

Last edited:

You ever see the pokemon episode with the grafitti on the sign?

That sums it up.

Red is the king. Ash is an annoying little kid who says stuff people already know :3

Eh, Red's not really a character in the same manner that Ash is. Red's deliberately a silent protaganist so the player will feel more like they are playing themselves as a Pokémon Trainer, and not some character.

Red from Pokémon Special is pretty cool, I like him a lot. And I really like the current design for Red (as he is in FR/LG and HG/SS). So I vote Red.

Those who choose Ash on the basis that he's had more character development: that's unfair. Red as he is in the video games has no character so you can imagine yourself in the setting.

1) You chose to focus only on the F***ing filler part. Not a very convincing way to show me you read the post.
2) I didn't say he has, did I? I said he might have, maybe beaten it prior to Ethan challenging him. He might not have. I don't know.
3) You can't buy Elixirs, Ethers, or Max Revives, three things that you wouldn't need if you had access to a Pokémon center. Additionally, Ash was allowed to train between matches. Was one team member lagging behind in battle? He could train it until it was stronger. Red was stuck with the same six party members for five consecutive battles, after which they'd be at relatively the same strength at which they'd started.
4) Did you even read #4? The E4 were allowed to heal during battles, thus negating Red's ability to to some degree. Ash couldn't heal, but neither could his opponents.
IMPORTANT NOTE: Please, please, PLEASE do not think I hate or am biased against the anime in any way, shape or form. I may resent aspects of it, but I do not hate it on the whole. It's only Ash I don't like here.

1) Sorry? I did acknowledge that. I said that Ash had to fight 11 people, albeit not in succession, and one had 3 Legendaries, which are basically GODS in the anime.
2) All right. I'm just saying nothing exists except for the fact that Red beat the Elite Four.
3) You can't really use the PP argument against Ash because moves have unlimited PP in the anime. But, yes, there are Ethers and such scattered around in Kanto, so it's not like he wouldn't have any at all. Yeah, Ash was allowed to train. Red was alloewd to Level Grind outside the League for weeks until his Pokemon were 50+.
4) I keep telling you, it's negligible either way as Red can heal too if he had the sense to buy Hyper Potions.

/Important note is noted.

Red, for being a silent character.

Of course, there's nothing bad about Ash. He's a role model for the fans everywhere, and he's a great trainer, but I prefer the silence from a main character.

Thanks for reading.

Someone's gotta' do it.

Ash_Ketchum_Sinnoh.png
VS.
150px-FRLGMaleTrainer.png

Do you prefer the favourite anime hero? Or the cool and collected protagonist? Why?

I think the first post should clear things out. It's obvious we're talking about game verse Red. Just because the tittle doesn't provide you everything, you should always try to read the first posts.

I think the first post should clear things out. It's obvious we're talking about game verse Red. Just because the tittle doesn't provide you everything, you should always try to read the first posts.

Then why everybody talking about manga-verse Red in here?

I have nothing against Ash, but did he defeat Team Rocket singlehandedly? Did he become League Champion? Did he spend three years standing on top of a mountain? Can he communicate complete epicness without even saying anything?

Red wins, hands down.

RBY!Red looks odd compared to FRLG!Red. D: I greatly dislike PokeSupe, so I won't include that Red.

I voted for Ash anyway. My crush from when I was 12 brings back all the good memories of owning my sisters (and being owned...) as Player-2 Ash in Pokemon Puzzle League. We need a new one of those without Misty, but that's for another thread...

I have nothing against Ash, but did he defeat Team Rocket singlehandedly? Did he become League Champion? Did he spend three years standing on top of a mountain? Can he communicate complete epicness without even saying anything?

Red wins, hands down.

What exactly is impressive about that?

I choose Ash because we know more of his character and shows really high character development.

Please note: The thread is from 10 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom