• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Contest Ash vs. Game!Red

Re: Ash vs. Red

Responding to the multiple people taking umbrage at my comment about filler leagues not counting: IT'S F***ING FILLER. What happens in it has no bearing on anything else. There's also the fact that, in battling terms, the Orange League was comparitively easy. Case in point:
Drake:
Ditto
Onix
Gengar
Venusaur
Electabuzz
Dragonite
Not exactly Herculean in difficulty.
Meanwhile, we have Blue:
Pigeot
Alakazam
Rhydon
Arcanine/Gyarados/Exeggutor (2)
Charizard/Venusaur/Blastoise (1)
I don't know about you, but Blue looks more difficult to me. And then there's his Fr/Lg team:
Heracross
Alakazam
Tyranitar
Gyarados/Arcanine/Exeggutor (2)
Charizrd/Venusaur/Blastoise (1)
So there you have it. There's also the fact that Red had to beat Lorelei, Bruno, Agatha and Lance IN SUCCESSION just to get at Blue; Ash just had to do some Pokéathlon-type minigames to fight Drake.

I hate Ash. He's a sissy wus. He hasn't made a move on any of his female companions. If I were in his position i would be ******* my female companions every episode.

Well, the prize goes to Red for best quote: "..."
Less annoying, better battler.
Not the best team, but a damn tough one. I wouldn't want to cross him on a dark night as and when his team all hit Lv.100.
As for Ash? He'd have a self-fulfilling name if Red's team had anything to say about it.

Responding to the multiple people taking umbrage at my comment about filler leagues not counting: IT'S F***ING FILLER. What happens in it has no bearing on anything else. There's also the fact that, in battling terms, the Orange League was comparitively easy. Case in point:
Drake:
Ditto
Onix
Gengar
Venusaur
Electabuzz
Dragonite
Not exactly Herculean in difficulty.
Meanwhile, we have Blue:
Pigeot
Alakazam
Rhydon
Arcanine/Gyarados/Exeggutor (2)
Charizard/Venusaur/Blastoise (1)
I don't know about you, but Blue looks more difficult to me. And then there's his Fr/Lg team:
Heracross
Alakazam
Tyranitar
Gyarados/Arcanine/Exeggutor (2)
Charizrd/Venusaur/Blastoise (1)
So there you have it. There's also the fact that Red had to beat Lorelei, Bruno, Agatha and Lance IN SUCCESSION just to get at Blue; Ash just had to do some Pokéathlon-type minigames to fight Drake.

It being F***ING FILLER is irrelevant.

Alright, the Orange League weren`t amazingly tough, but Ash also beat the Frontier Brains. One of which had THREE LEGENDARIES.
Don`t you think 12 People, one of which having three legendaries > 5 in succession?
Also, Revives and Super Potions.

It being F***ING FILLER is irrelevant.

Alright, the Orange League weren`t amazingly tough, but Ash also beat the Frontier Brains. One of which had THREE LEGENDARIES.
Don`t you think 12 People, one of which having three legendaries > 5 in succession?
Also, Revives and Super Potions.

1) Did you read the entire reasoning or just the F***ing filler part?
2) Red is exempt from the Battle Frontier because he only appeared in one game where it existed (HGSS, and who is to say that he couldn't have beaten it? Or beaten it already? Shouldn't Trainer Tower count to some degree for Fr/Lg?)
3) Ash was allowed to heal and train between Frontier Brain fights, making them significantly easier.
4) The E4 and Blue were allowed to use healing items as well. And better ones than SUPER POTIONS, I might add.

Red is way cooler and stronger. Plus, his pokemon don't reset back to level one when he goes someplace new.

1) Did you read the entire reasoning or just the F***ing filler part?
2) Red is exempt from the Battle Frontier because he only appeared in one game where it existed (HGSS, and who is to say that he couldn't have beaten it? Or beaten it already? Shouldn't Trainer Tower count to some degree for Fr/Lg?)
3) Ash was allowed to heal and train between Frontier Brain fights, making them significantly easier.
4) The E4 and Blue were allowed to use healing items as well. And better ones than SUPER POTIONS, I might add.

1) I read it all.
2) Who's to say he has? Him beating any Frontier is uncanon, but I'll give you the Trainer Tower.
3) So was Red, if he had the mind to buy tons of potions and Revives, and just heal between Elite Four members.
4) And, again, so can Red. Using healing items in battle hasn't ever been shown in the anime, so Ash couldn't heal during the battle like Red could.

Last edited:

Ash has never beater an official pokemon league. (If you don't count orange islands) Red has beaten the pokemon league in Kanto, either retired or beaten by Lance.(Idk which) Then he went up to Mt. Silver and trained his a** off and now has level 80 pokemon.

I prefer Red, simple because I don't watch the anime.

Whats the point of this thread? Everybody is obivously going to vote for Red, since Satoshi is either a "wuss" or "fucking weak piece of shit."

Whats the point of this thread? Everybody is obivously going to vote for Red, since Satoshi is either a "wuss" or "fucking weak piece of shit."

My thoughts exactly. :-|

My vote goes to Ash as I'm a fan of the anime. Red is too generic and Gary Stu-ish.

Ash is too much of an emotional spaz to win. And from what I've seen of the anime, I don't remember him winning too often. He got a gym badge for putting out a fire! Red would for sure win.

You're obviously wrong as there are people who have voted for Ash. I voted for Ash as I am a fan of the anime and Ash is better as a character.

Ash has never beater an official pokemon league. (If you don't count orange islands) Red has beaten the pokemon league in Kanto, either retired or beaten by Lance.(Idk which) Then he went up to Mt. Silver and trained his a** off and now has level 80 pokemon.

Ash is too much of an emotional spaz to win. And from what I've seen of the anime, I don't remember him winning too often. He got a gym badge for putting out a fire! Red would for sure win.

So what, Ash doesn't win often. If you think Pokemon is all about winning battles, then you are clearly mistaken. Ash cares more about his pokemon and their well-being than he does about winning league tournaments.

Last edited:

1) I read it all.
2) Who's to say he has? Him beating any Frontier is uncanon, but I'll give you the Trainer Tower.
3) So was Red, if he had the mind to buy tons of potions and Revives, and just heal between Elite Four members.
4) And, again, so can Red. Using healing items in battle hasn't ever been shown in the anime, so Ash couldn't heal during the battle like Red could.

1) You chose to focus only on the F***ing filler part. Not a very convincing way to show me you read the post.
2) I didn't say he has, did I? I said he might have, maybe beaten it prior to Ethan challenging him. He might not have. I don't know.
3) You can't buy Elixirs, Ethers, or Max Revives, three things that you wouldn't need if you had access to a Pokémon center. Additionally, Ash was allowed to train between matches. Was one team member lagging behind in battle? He could train it until it was stronger. Red was stuck with the same six party members for five consecutive battles, after which they'd be at relatively the same strength at which they'd started.
4) Did you even read #4? The E4 were allowed to heal during battles, thus negating Red's ability to to some degree. Ash couldn't heal, but neither could his opponents.
IMPORTANT NOTE: Please, please, PLEASE do not think I hate or am biased against the anime in any way, shape or form. I may resent aspects of it, but I do not hate it on the whole. It's only Ash I don't like here.

Wasn't Ash based on Red in the first place? It seems kind of obvious who the winner is going to be here...

I though Ash was okay during the first few seasons (i.e. the Kanto arc). But now the whole anime is just one big drag. Red doesn't annoy me in the least as he is a silent protagonist. Ash needs to go through puberty and become a gym leader or something. I'm tired of looking at his stupid face.

You're obviously wrong as there are people who have voted for Ash. I voted for Ash as I am a fan of the anime and Ash is better as a character.
Those people being 1/4 of the voters. Impressive? I didn't think so either. Voting for Satoshi doesn't change the popular opinion of the Red fanboys in this thread or fanbase. I personally don't mind if its Pokespe!Red, but thats clearly not the case here. Its that overrated games!Red. I don't hate him, I hate his stupid fanbase that won't shut up on how "fucking weak baby who still suck his mom tits" Satoshi is. Yes, that was a real quote.

Last edited:

The majority of Red's badassness comes from fandumb who make him the ultimate pokemon master god, even though he put elemental hyper beams on his pokemon and put special attacks on snorlax. Mostly, I think people are just in love with the idea of the generic, no personality, silent protagonist with fabricated accomplishments other than winning the pokemon league. But I guess they're also in love with the idea of Ash being the "fail" Red who lost every battle he went in, didn't earn his badges, and so on.

Personally I like Red over Ash. Ash was endearing in the first season because of his obvious faults and screw-ups (acting selfishly, not always taking his pokemon into consideration, being rash and thoughtless, etc.) However, as the series progressed, I could see Ash's character becoming more and more watered down and distilled. I mean, don't get me wrong, I don't expect Ash to remain the same ignorant kid he was at the beginning of his journey, but he's turned into a really boring character, to be honest. :T

Red has little actual "character" in the games besides being silent and stoic in GSC/ HGSS, and honestly, it's mostly my head!canon for Red that I like, but a stoic protagonist with strong morals just appeals to me more.

There's also the respective storylines. Ash's goal is just this general "Be the best!" type of thing, while Red's is more about helping Prof. Oak with his research and stopping Team Rocket. I don't know, really. I just feel like Red would be more mature than Ash because of the harsher nature of his universe verses Ash's. (You can't really deny that Game!verse tends to be less tame than the Anime!verse.)

Last edited:

Personally, I'm not fond of either, but Red wins hands-down.
Ash is about as much of a Gary-Stu you can get.

Please note: The thread is from 10 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom