• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Event Autumn 2023 One-shot Contest Discussion Thread

Reaction score
Pronouns
  1. She/Her
Hi everyone!! Sorry for the wait, but here's a discussion thread for you to talk all about your entries for our Autumn 2023 one-shot fic contest!!

We're all looking forwards to reading your entries!!

...I actually haven't gotten much done other than a vaaague plot LOL. We'll see what I can do in the next few weeks~

mine so far is... blursed? i have like, the overarching plot laid out but the details have yet to be fine-tuned and i'll probably add something to it because it feels a little barebones as is
and the writing itself still needs to be done, but that's the easiest part...
(would you believe me if i told you silver actually isnt in it)

I have a plot idea I'm not planning to replace it with another, as I'm sure I have no chance of coming up with anything better... I'm sure it won't do for a long story - there's not that much going on. (Also I've never written anything super long, my longest recently written work in English has around 3 400 words, and the one written in my mother tongue is a bit shorter.) My greatest fear is that someone is going to write something very similar to my work as I think I'm quite unoriginal, but I doubt that's going to happen since everyone here seems to be imaginative.

I haven't written anything of the work yet, as I need to write it during the day, otherwise, it will be qualitatively comparable to this post, which I don't think would be ideal... And I had no free time during the day so far. I plan to start writing as soon as possible though...

:lapras::lapras::lapras::lapras: That's frankly quite unexpected!!! But I'd believe you :wynaut:

So far I've written a pretty shoddy 2,000 words, mostly just to get some of the important story beats on the page. I felt stuck for a while and didn't make much progress this week, then suddenly had an "aha!" moment yesterday when I thought of something that would make the plot a little more believable and coherent to the theme.
The boost of inspiration was very much needed to finish this on time... I still need to come up with a decent ending before the deadline though :hmm:

dang you're much stronger than I am, lol. Try as I might, I can never resist the urge to shove my favorite characters into the narrative somehow OTL

Very excited to see everyone's stories this year! Sadly I didn't leave any reviews on the ones I read last year (moreso just lurked... heheh) but I'm gonna try my best to do so this time around.

the real challenge will be not making it about trauma or mental illness
But those are the best things to write about!! Go forth.

As for characters involved, I’m going to be predictable as usual, still finishing fleshing out my idea… but I hope the story itself will be rather unpredictable and surprising!

I had planned on finishing a one-shot in time for Hallowe'en - not as part of the contest - since I don't have the time to write a 10,000 word short as I did in previous years. At this point I don't know whether I'm going to finish it this year, either, but it doesn't much help to give up more than two weeks from the deadline

So the current idea isn't about mental illness or trauma, but more about... culture, and personal family tradition vs mainstream culture, and Lisia and Wallace. Basically, lil' baby Lisia is jealous that all of her classmates get to celebrate Halloween and get candy and dress up, but Rayquaza Holy Week happens in October, and Rayquaza Holy Week is the biggest, most important holiday in the Sootopolitan calendar. Something something "Lisia you'll understand the weight of celebrating holidays in a minority religion when you're older" something something "but I like candy : ( "... I should get better at plot outlining.

So the current idea isn't about mental illness or trauma, but more about... culture, and personal family tradition vs mainstream culture, and Lisia and Wallace. Basically, lil' baby Lisia is jealous that all of her classmates get to celebrate Halloween and get candy and dress up, but Rayquaza Holy Week happens in October, and Rayquaza Holy Week is the biggest, most important holiday in the Sootopolitan calendar. Something something "Lisia you'll understand the weight of celebrating holidays in a minority religion when you're older" something something "but I like candy : ( "... I should get better at plot outlining.
Sounds very cute! Maybe there will be a way for her to enjoy Halloween with her friends while also sharing the importance of their cultural holiday? Just throwing ideas also as a Halloween Enjoyer LOL

I’d share mine but I fear doing so would give away the surprise twist, so I have to keep my lips sealed. _(:3 」∠)_

Back
Top Bottom