• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Event Autumn 2023 One-shot Contest Discussion Thread

I just want to say that I find it interesting how much my entry has changed from the initial idea I had (well, the second half of it anyway). Anyone else find that weird? Has that ever happened to you guys when writing stories?

I just want to say that I find it interesting how much my entry has changed from the initial idea I had (well, the second half of it anyway). Anyone else find that weird? Has that ever happened to you guys when writing stories?
I've definitely had it happen while working on stories which I then usually don't write down like I should but...
Sometimes a character will end up with a totally different background or personality than when I start working on them. I've also had a few times when I came up with stuff that was absolutely not in my original idea but ends up being very important to the plotline and/or worldbuilding.

I'm nowhere near done per se but I'm finally getting somewhere! After I wasted a lot of time feeling aimless, I finally figured out how to tie the whole story together into a neat package from beginning to end, and that alone has helped a lot. Not sure yet how long it'll be — but I'm usually pretty wordy, so I can only hope I don't hit the cap. Having to cut it down would probably... not be fun, if I had to guess.

Just 9 days left! So quit reading this and keep writing!!

Well, my entry started getting a tad too big for my liking. World Building is not something I am good at, so I am going to keep it small and use the initial idea that I had. I won't give any spoilers! You'll have to wait and see.

Been writing a lot today! May finish mine either tonight or tomorrow night so it will be primed and ready! I fear this may be a long one, so I’m praying I don’t hit the cap… Like Oki, it took me a bit to figure out all the details within, but I think it’s coming along! I think (or hope?) my writing has improved! We’ll see!

It brings me the unfortunate news that I must drop out of the one-shot contest. Between work and school, I've been unable to work on the story I had outside of the main concept I wanted to do. My goal this week was to work on it this week due to being off from graduate school, but I had all my wisdom teeth pulled this week so it made me unable to focus on it with the recovery, especially with the icing.

I wish everyone else good luck and I will read all the stories if I have the time. Sorry for dropping out, was really looking forward to this concept too, maybe at a later date I will write and post it.

Ok. I am finished with my entry. After much working and reworking, I have settled on what I have now. I need to remind myself that not everything needs conflict. In fact, don't slice of life stories (especially short stories) generally lack any sort of conflict?

Posting Deadline at 11:59 PM GMT!
Reminder: The story posting deadline is coming soon, and you are now free to post your stories!

After October 30 11:59 PM GMT (Britain) / October 30 4:59 PM PDT (Pacific Coast America) / October 31 8:59 AM JST (Japan), the deadline for your one-shots will end! Please submit your stories as their own separate threads in The Writer's Workshop, title them as contest fics, and provide a link here or in the announcement thread!

Thank you, and good luck!

Last edited:
Reminder: The story posting deadline is coming soon, and you are now free to post your stories!

After October 29 11:59 PM GMT (Britain) / October 29 4:59 PM PDT (Pacific Coast America) / October 30 8:59 AM JST (Japan), the deadline for your one-shots will end! Please submit your stories as their own separate threads in The Writer's Workshop, title them as contest fics, and provide a link here!

Thank you, and good luck!
Ok. So I did finish my entry on time. I also figured that we post the link to the story here. I did that for last year's contest.

Here's my link! Should we post our links on the contest announcement thread, too? (I remember that being part of the original contest rules, so I wanted to check.)

(I hope I posted this correctly; my thread was in the sticky threads section for a couple minutes for some reason...)

Back
Top Bottom