• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Best Battle Fanfic Contest Entry Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay I have one question that I couldn't find the answer to in the FAQs. In my story, my character has more than 3 pokemon, in somecases even alluding to the non-battling 3 or having them make a small cameo. My question is, is it okay that my main character has a full roster of 6 as long as only 3 actually battle? Thanks in advance for the response

Old Block

Title: Old Block
Word Count: 1,692
Players: Pearl (me) vs. Palmer

Pearl stood atop the Battle Tower, with his father looming over him like a hawk. This was his final test to prove he was good enough for his father, the almighty Tower Tycoon Palmer. He had ventured far and wide, over the great icecaps of Lake Acuity, though the jagged, rocky cliffs of Stark Mountain, challenging all trainers he had met, while capturing all Pokémon that he had seen. The time had come for Pearl he thought, as he put his hand in his pocket and took out a rather small Poké Ball. His father had done so too, but instead he pulled out a different sort of Poké Ball, one that Pearl had never seen before. This Poké Ball had a purple colored top with an M shaped marking on the front.

The judge called out the rules, “Normal, three on three, single battle. The player who’s Pokémon are unable to battle is pronounced “defeated”. Are there any questions?”

Both trainers shook their heads.

“Well, with that in order. Let the battle begin!” cried the judge and he blew his whistle.

At that, Pearl and Palmer throw out their Poké Ball and cried out their Pokémon’s name. Of course, Pearl had chosen his favourite Pokémon, Empoleon. Empoleon had been his starter Pokémon and his favourite at that. It had been around with him since the beginning and had always been with him, even in the toughest of times. Pearl turned to look at his father’s Pokémon, it was like a giant sea serpent, with a small pointed head and a beautiful blue and pink tail. Its head had hair-like fins draping out from its sides and its tail had giant scales sticking out like a fan. The Pokémon, of course, was Milotic and its angry expression made it look powerful.

Pearl started to cry out a command, but Palmer was too quick for him and shouted, “Hydro Pump!”

A beam of water shot out of Milotic’s mouth and hit Empoleon, sending the poor Emperor Pokémon flying, nearly hitting Pearl by an inch.

“Drill Peck!” Pearl cried and the water Pokémon spun around in mid air, flying straight towards Milotic with an unmistakable hit, but Milotic was unaffected in any way. Pearl was shocked but his father explained, “Protect is a move that can defend the user from any attack.”

Desperate for another attempt, Pearl shouted, “Surf!” But it was no use, using a water move on a water Pokémon wasn’t a good idea. A wave of water swept over Milotic, but it wasn’t good enough, as Milotic had blasted through it with a crushing Hyper Beam, sweeping Empoleon off its feet and onto it back, where it lay there still.

“Empoleon is unable to battle!” the judge shouted, “Milotic wins!” Disappointment overcame Pearl as he called back his Pokémon, how could he win against his father in a state like this? Doubt had consumed him, as he pulled out his next Poké Ball from his pocket and throw it forward. A giant bird appeared from its beam and flew up high into the air.

“Ah, a Staraptor. A power addition to anyone party,” said Palmer. Feeling that this was the only support he had received from his father for a long time, made him fell that there was still hope in the battle. He shouted his command towards Staraptor and it lunged down at Milotic with all its might and determination, hitting it hard with a brilliant Brave Bird. Both Pokémon toppled over backwards, but only Milotic was knocked to the ground. It struggled to get back up again, but it couldn’t keep up its energy, smashing its head on the ground.

“Milotic is unable to battle!” the judge shouted, “Staraptor wins!” Pearl couldn’t keep in his joy and starting jumping in the air and praising his Pokémon’s job. Palmer, however, exchanged his Pokémon and called out another one.

“Don’t bother celebrating just yet, my son.” Palmer called, “This next Pokémon doesn’t match to the first.”

And again, Palmer pulled out another purple Poké Ball from his belt, releasing a purplish gelatinous blob to the field. Pearl knew all to well that this Pokémon was a Ditto, and it had caused him a bit of trouble on his way to Canalave City. Pearl had tried to catch the playful beast, but it disguised itself with one of Pearl’s Pokémon, making it too hard to catch. However, this Ditto didn’t look playful at all; its expression looked like it was ready for battle.

“Transform!” Palmer cried, and the little blob altered its form at once, mimicking Staraptor’s body perfectly. Pearl had to do something now, or the impersonating bird would strike.

“Fly!” both trainers shouted in unison and the two Pokémon flew up straight into the air. They flew into each other at full force and separated, then slamming back into each other again. Both Pokémon showed their anger for each other by attacking again and again.

“Now, Ditto, take him out with Take Down!” Palmer shouted at his copy Staraptor and the bird swooped down, tackling the real Staraptor. But Pearl shouted “Endeavor”, thinking under pressure. And with that, Staraptor braced itself before the attack, as the fake bird collided with Staraptor, knocking it to the ground. As Staraptor smashed to the ground, it lay there still for a moment with its eyes closed. Pearl hoped that his second Pokémon was gone, but then Staraptor opened it eyes and got back up. It had survived the attack and was ready to go again. Pearl smiled again, and shouted, “Fly again!”

Staraptor flew back up in the air again and dived straight back down again. But Palmer was prepared, telling his Pokémon to embrace itself using “Endeavor”. Both Pokémon brawled to the ground, rolling over each other, until they both fell to the floor, panting and puffing breathlessly. Harry and his father shouted at their Pokémon to stand up, but it was useless, both had fainted. Ditto, changed into back into its original state and collapsed onto the field.

“Both Pokémon are unable to battle!” the judge cried, “Both trainers are tied!”

Another wave of doubt ran over Pearl. If he knew his father, he was going to save the best to last. Once again, for the final time, he and his father told out another Poké Ball and exchanged it for there failed Pokémon. As one, they called out their last Pokémon to the field. Two dragon Pokémon appeared, either side of field, one being Pearl’s Garchomp and the other, Palmer’s Dragonite. Pearl looked amazed at he and his father’s equality, they had both summoned their strongest dragons to their battle. He could sense that his father wasn’t going to hold back now.

“Dragon Rush!” his father shouted, and in an instant Dragonite charged itself straight at Garchomp. But Pearl wasn’t going to let him catch him out while he was this close.

“Dig!” yelled Pearl, and the field was sprayed with dust and sand as Garchomp buried in the dirt, protecting itself from Dragonite harm. In a sudden, Garchomp appeared from the ground, attacking Dragonite from below, throwing the surprised Dragonite into the air.

Pearl continued his onslaught with a powerful Dragon Claw, marking the now earthbound Pokémon with a giant cut. The Dragonite had not looked in a worse state; it was lying on the ground with its eyes closed, struggling to get up.

With a note of triumph in his voice, Pearl shouted “Finish him off, Garchomp. Use Crunch!” Garchomp had started to attack, but Dragonite suddenly opened its eyes and began to charge a beam. Garchomp sprung into the air ready to assault, but an almighty blast of Hyper Beam pushed the attacking Pokémon back. Pearl spun around. There was Dragonite on its feet and full recovered. Shocked, but didn’t expect less from his dad, Pearl turned back to Garchomp who was getting back onto its feet. The battle was defiantly not over; both Pokémon still had enough fight left in them to last another while.

“Dragonite! Use Dragon Dance!” Palmer called. Pearl knew that his father was getting ready to use something big and Pearl wasn’t going to stand around and wait for this to happen.

“Dragon Rush!” I shouted, and Garchomp charged right at Dragonite, but Dragonite was too quick with boost from Dragon Dance and started to attack with its own Dragon Rush. Both Pokémon collided with each other, holding each other for a minute. They both then sprang back; the attack had cancelled each other. This was Pearl’s chance.

“Dragon Claw!” he shouted, and the Pokémon hesitated for a moment and then sprang to his command. Garchomp jumped straight up to Dragonite and started to swipe, but Dragonite grasp Garchomp’s hand and held it tight, suspending them both there in mid air.

“Draco Meteor!” Palmer said to his Pokémon, and Dragonite nodded, crying up into the sky. Huge Meteor suddenly showered from all direction into Garchomp, hitting him again and again, until suddenly, Dragonite let go of Garchomp’s arm, dropping him to the ground, creating a thunderous impact. The Pokémon lay there, silent.

“Garchomp is unable to battle!” the judge cryed, “Dragonite wins!”

Pearl was paralyzed to the ground. Sadness overcame him, and he dropped to the ground. He didn’t want to look at anything anymore, so looked straight at the dirt. Then a shadow slowly drew over him. He looked up. It was him, the Battle Tower Tychoon. The bright red sunset shone behind him, illuminating his great face. His eyes twinkled as they looked down on me.

“That was a great battle, son. Truly, you are best opponent I’ve ever come across in a long time. You don’t need my approval, you already got it the day you left to become a Pokémon trainer. Don’t give you hope now.”

Palmer held out his hand and Pearl took it, as it pulled him up. We looked at each other for a moment and then my father finally said, “Come on then. A new journey awaits, and remember, where ever you are, I’ll always be there beside you.”

Last edited:
Wow a limited edition Nintendo DS with a copy of the new Pokemon Ranger game. Tempting. lol I just have one question one though. Does the fanfic have to be realistic with the series and the games?

Last edited:
Time to party like it's my word count!

Despite this story taking plaxce during Legends of Sinnoh (my story), this does not have any coninuity within the story. It's only purpose is for this contest and will not appear in the Legends of Sinnoh story thread.

Title: Rain vs. Jono
Word Count: 1954
Pokemon: Turtwig, Luxio and Drifloon (Rain) and Riolu, Lairon and Buizel (Mine, chosen by RNG)

Rain had received a message for a battle offering by someone named Jono. Rain had no clue who he was, but he said he was friends with Yura, who he knew since childhood. He goes to an open area inside of a park in Solaceon Town, looking around for this mysterious man.

"Hey!" someone shouted

Rain looks ahead to see a man with brown hair and sunglasses wearing a black, leather jacket and blue pants. Rain wonders if he was the one who wanted a battle with him.

“You’re Rain, correct?” he asked. Rain nods in response. “I heard a lot about you, Rain. I hear you’re quite the trainer.”

“You heard about me?” Rain asked.

“Indeed. My name is Jono, and I’m a trainer, just like you. Do you want to battle?”

Rain was uncomfortable with battling someone this suddenly, but he knows that he would never back down from a challenge.

“All right, I accept!” Rain said. “I’ll be sure to wipe the floor with you!”

“Good,” Jono replied. “It’ll be three on three. Are you ready?”

Rain nods as he goes to a spot far away from where Jono was, while Jono goes into the opposite direction, just as far.

“I’ll let you send out first!” Jono said.

“All right!” Rain said. “Go, Drifloon!”

Rain sends out his Drifloon to battle against his opponent, whoever he was.

“Drifloon, huh?” Jono said. “Go, Riolu!”

He sends out a small Riolu, which immediately goes into a fighting stance to battle the Ghost Type Drifloon.

A Riolu?” Rain thought, “Against Drifloon? Even I know that Riolu won’t do anything!

“Riolu, use Iron Tail!” Jono ordered.

Riolu charges forward and jumps up with its tail glowing. Riolu swings it and strikes Drifloon, spinning it around a bit before it recovers.

“Are you okay?” Rain asked.

“Floooon!” Drifloon replied.

“All right. Use Ominous Wind!”

Drifloon spins around, releasing a powerful, ghostly wind, leaving Riolu to stand its ground and brave the attack.

“Riolu, use Bulk Up!” Jono ordered.

Riolu begins to charge up energy, releasing enough power to make the grass below it flow with the forceful winds.

“Foresight!”

Riolu then uses Foresight that hits Drifloon, but it doesn’t seem to do anything. Rain was just as confused as Drifloon was.

“Force Palm!” Jono ordered.

Riolu charges forward and strikes Drifblim hard with a Force Palm attack. Rain was surprised that a Fighting move, which would normally be immune to Ghost Pokemon, actually hit Drifloon.

“Forsight drops Ghost Pokemon’s immunities, and now it’s giving me the advantage.”

“We’ll see about that!” Rain said. “Drifloon, use Stockpile!”

Drifloon begins to gain energy to use a special attack later on. Jono wanted to take advantage of it and he wasn’t going to let him get away with it.

“Riolu, use Quick Attack!” Jono ordered.

Riolu charges with blinding speed, but Rain knew what to do.

“Use Spit Up!” Rain ordered,

Drifloon immediately fires a powerful, purple beam at Riolu that hits it hard and sends it back. Riolu slowly gets up, but it was a bit weak. Rain knew he was ready to go down at any moment.

“All right,” Jono said. “Use Reversal!”

Riolu charges up with energy and charges towards Drifloon, who was prepared to fight back immediately.

“Drifloon, use Constrict!” Rain ordered.

Drifloon attempts to grab hold on it, but Riolu grabs it first. He flips forward and slams Drifloon on the ground. Riolu jumps back, while Drifloon rests on the ground, unable to battle.

“How’s that for power?” Jono asked.

“Rio!” Riolu said.

Rain recalls his Drifloon and wonders who he should send out next. He was strong, that's for sure, but he wonders what his last Pokemon would be like.

“Go, Turtwig!” Rain said.

His first Pokemon, Turtwig, comes out with a happy smile. He sees the Riolu in front of him and knew he was ready to battle.

“Fine, then,” he said. “Riolu, use Force Palm!”

“Turtwig, use Razor Leaf!” Rain ordered.

Turtwig fires a Razor Leaf attack that strikes Riolu hard, but even that didn’t stop his attack, which manages to strike Turtwig a bit. Turtwig was sent back a bit, but he merely shakes it off.

“Riolu, use Reversal!” Jono ordered.

“Bite and throw!” Rain ordered.

Riolu powers up again and charges towards Turtwig, but his opponent bites his hand and throws him to the ground, causing his Reversal to backfire. He remains on the ground, unable to battle.

“Riolu, return!” Jono said.

He recalls his fallen Riolu as he places his Pokeball on his belt. He takes out another as he prepares to continue their battle.

“Go, Lairon!” Jono said.

Jono sends out a Lairon for battle. Rain was still a bit confused, since it was part Rock. However due to its Steel type, Grass attacks would do normal damage. Still Rain thought it was a bit unusual to have his Pokemon weak to his own.

“All right, Turtwig,” Rain said. “Are you ready?”

“Turtwig!” he replied.

“All right, Razor Leaf!”

“Iron Defense!” Jono ordered.

Lairon braces itself for the Razor Leaf attack as they strike it hard, but Turtwig’s attack seems to have little effect due to Iron Defense’s effect.

“Now, use Iron Head!” Jono ordered.

Lairon charges forward with its head glowing brightly, striking Turtwig hard and sending it back a bit. Turtwig recovers, but Lairon was right in front of him.

“Now, use Metal Claw!” Jono ordered.

Lairon’s claws begin to glow a bright white as well, striking Turtwig and knocking it back. Turtwig slowly gets up, but he was far from out.

“Pretty tough, huh?” Jono said. “You said you’d wipe the floor with me, but it looks like the reverse is happening.”

“Turtwig, use Mega Drain!” Rain ordered.

Turtwig fires a beam that absorbs the energy from Lairon to heal him. Jono didn’t want Turtwig to get as far as he did.

“Lairon, use Metal Burst!”

Lairon powers up a ball of energy inside of its mouth and fires a powerful shock wave-like beam that sends Turtwig flying off, landing on the ground, far away from him.

“Lairon, use Iron Head!”

I have to think of something, quick!” Rain thought. “Withdraw!”

Turtwig lies on the ground with its head lowered as Lairon shoots it across towards a nearby tree.

“Bounce off the tree and use Bite!”

Turtwig bounces off the tree and shoots towards Lairon, biting one of its spikes and sending it down to the ground.

“Good job, Turtwig!” Rain cheered.

“Turtwig!” he said, cheering as well.

Lairon slowly gets up, showing signs of fatigue. Jono was impressed at his strength; he had no idea he was this good.

“Fine, then,” Jono said. “Use Metal Burst!”

“Turtwig, use Razor Leaf!” Rain ordered.

Both Pokemon fire their attacks as they hit each other hard. Lairon was hit with enough to knock it out, while Turtwig was hit hard enough to knock him out as well. Both Pokemon were out and Jono and Rain were both down to one Pokemon each. They both recall their fallen Pokemon and prepare for their last battle.

“Are you ready to end this, Rain?” Jono asked. “Because I’m more than ready to finish you off!”

“Let’s see what you have!” Rain said.

“All right. Go, Buizel!”

Jono sends out his Buizel who simply shakes his fur in reaction to his release.

“Bui!” he said happily.

Is he serious with this?” Rain thought. “All I have is Luxio, who’s an Electric Pokemon. And he’s supposed to be really strong against a Water Type like Buizel!

“Don’t judge me for my Pokemon. You saw how strong each one of them were!”

He’s right. Even with the disadvantages, they still managed to take my Pokemon down. I have to think harder than ever if I hope to beat him!

Rain takes out his last Pokeball and prepares to fight off Jono’s Buizel.

“Go, Luxio!” Rain said.

Rain sends out his Luxio who roars proudly as he takes the field. Rain wanted to make sure that he didn’t lose to this mysterious guy.

“Buizel, use SonicBoom!” Jono ordered.

Buizel jump up and flips forward, shooting a powerful wave on energy at Luxio, who braves the attack and sparks with electricity.

“I know what you want to do,” Rain said. “Use Spark!”

Luxio unleashes a powerful bolt of electricity that strikes Buizel hard. Despite the power, it didn’t seem to do too much.

“What the…?” Rain asked.

“Ice Beam!” Jono ordered.

Buizel fires an Ice Beam that freezes Luxio’s mouth as it tries to break it off.

“Bite!” Rain ordered.

Luxio musters enough strength t break the ice off of its mouth and bite Buizel on the arm. He spins around, sending Buizel along with it. Buizel rolls on the ground as he gets up to retaliate.

“Aqua Jet!” Jono ordered.

Buizel engulfs himself in a watery aura and shoots himself towards Luxio, striking him hard and sending him back a bit.

“Razor Wind, Buizel!” Jono ordered.

Buizel’s twin tails begin to glow brightly and fires a powerful wave that strikes Luxio hard and sends it backwards and onto the ground. Luxio slowly gets up, but he wasn't out yet.

"He's good," Rain thought. "I have to find a way to defeat this guy once and for all!"

"Ice Beam!"

Buizel fires an Ice Beam, but once it hit Luxio, it freezes his entire body instead of just his face. Luxio was completely immobile.

"Luxio!" Rain said with worry.

"Got him now," Jono said. "Buizel, use Razor Wind!"

Buizel prepares the attack once more and fires it, crushing the ice and damaging Luxio hard. Luxio struggles to get up, but he was almost out of it.

"Aqua Jet!" Jono ordered.

Buizel covers himself in the watery aura again. And shoots himself towards Luxio, who was still struggling.

"Bite and Spark!" Rain ordered.

Luxio gets up and takes the attack, biting down on Buizel's arm and shocking him while he's surrounded by water. They both go into a tree as they both hit it hard. They both fall down, but it didn't seem like either of them were getting up. Luxio slowly manages to stand, but Buizel was still struggling.

"Please...let this be overwith!" Rain thought.

Buizel manages to recover, but both of them were really weak. Jono and Rain both wanted to end this as soon as possible.

"Water Pulse!" Jono ordered.

"Spark!" Rain ordered.

Both Pokemon fire their attacks as they strike each other hard, both doing a lot of damage to each other. Buizel falls to the ground, unable to battle, while Luxio miraculously sits up as it rests on its hind legs for some support.

"Luxi," it said.

"Well, that....was kind of enjoyable," Jono said, calling Buizel back to his Pokeball. "I have to admit, you're pretty strong."

"Thanks," Rain said. "So were you."

They both shake hands as they both depart. Rain was excited to have such a fun battle, which made him even more excited for the Veilstone Gym battle soon. He decides to head back to find his friends so he could tell them about his battle with Jono. Now that they were through in Solaceon Town, they decide to head off to Veilstone City, for Rain's third Gym Battle.

Does the battle necesarily have to be trainer vs. trainer, as long as it uses an author-ish trainer, and the author's three favorite Pokemon?

Well, here we go with my entry. As it goes, I'm one of the trainers, whom I have not mentioned, for what is the power of battling when the focus is on the trainers and emotions, rather than those who sweat it out trying not to die?

Anyways, my fave pokemon mentioned here would be Flygon, Drapion and Spiritomb.

Without further ado...

Cold Shoulder.

Such arguments between rivals can spring from just about any situation, from the rather generic quarrel between whose starter Pokémon is better or the claims on the pretty female travelling partner with a nice ass, to the decision of who gets dibs on exploring the cave that had appeared a few day ago on the beaches of the scenic naval route that ran between Dewford and Petalburg in the Hoenn region.

Currently, said rivals were discussing the battle terms in a friendly manner, as siblings are wont to do: Three-on-three, no time limit. The prize: Checking the new cave out, as well as a kiss from their pal (cue slaps and moans as cheeks developed red patches) and smugness over the other. With her two Pokémon marking the battle arena via a pair of pillars formed from the natural sands and the ice within, the boys took their position while her Alakazam, a humanoid Pokémon with handlebar moustache and frail build, floated by her side as her aide.

“Since you two always seem to argue, let the battle begin!” she called out without much emotion, and the eerily united sounds of hands grabbing containment spheres and releasing their individual battlers ran through the silent island.

“Greenwing, let’s rock!”

“Everwind, to war!”

The balls released the occupants as the relative newcomers studied their foes. Greenwing gazed up from his position, finding the grainy land beneath his tan exterior comforting as his eyes, shielded from the elements by a pair of crystalline red domes, locked with his master’s brother, a boy of middle teenage years, with the same shade of auburn hair as his master, and his lucid cobalt eyes, before turning to Everwind, who was a reptilian beast of the same build as the Flygon, only this being lacked wings, instead relying on his oversized jaws and perpetually leering eyes to intimidate the average Ratatta, not a hard feat for a Feraligatr.

Before an order could be made, however, the girl held up a hand as ten eyes turned to her as she gave her proposal of making it a double battle, to which the group agreed and a pair of other flashes revealed the infamous starter Pokémon the brothers had.

Everwind’s partner, by definition, was a anthropomorphic lizard, with his two stubby horns and eternally lit tail making a fearsome combination with his draconic wings, as red as burning coals as the Charizard gave a friendly blast of flame at Greenwing, who retaliated with his own short burst of fire, neither scorching missile meeting the other or the target. The Flygon’s partner gave a sigh as it casually sauntered beside him, his spinal fin seemingly mutated from his back while his claws, easily a foot in length, were grinding against each other and the edgy amber eyes flitted between his grey-eyed trainer and his brother, and the two Pokémon which were his opponents.

“Everwind, bring your power up with a quick Dragon Dance, then chomp on that oversized shark with a nice Ice Fang! Hypotherm, Fly up and divebomb onto Greenwing with a Body Slam!”

“Greenwing, let’s show Everwind what we’re made of. Use that ThunderPunch you learned earlier to sock him before he dances then start a Sandstorm with all this stuff to aid Greyfang. You should take to the air and Dragon Rush Hypotherm before he slams, buddy.”

With no hesitation, Everwind inhaled as he called upon his ancestral lineage to perform the same ancient ritual dance between the beasts of his time as his limbs throbbed with the power of dragons, focusing on the Garchomp at the time, who was taking a short run to lift off as his ally did too. Too focused he was that he never noticed the crackling electricity on the claws of the desert mirage as the statically-charged fist thumped into his belly, causing the crocodile to hiss in pain as he staggered back, his jaws locking in mild paralysis, just as his vision diverted to the skies as his original quarry, cloaked in blue flame and crimson energy, charged towards Hypotherm, who suddenly dived at the dragon below, flapping his wings at the sand and kicking clouds of the substance up only to give a screech of pain as the impact of the Charizard knocked him off balance and onto his back, wincing as it was pinned under the weight. As the Mach Pokémon landed safely, frowning at the miss, it gave a primal roar as Everwind sank his fangs into the flesh, infusing the wound with icy energy that caused the Garchomp to tear up as it shook the ravenous reptile off and inspected the painful wound amidst swearing from both sides.

“Damnit! Don’t let that little bite affect you, Crunch him back! Then nail Hypotherm with Dragon Claw! Everwind, unleash your righteous Outrage!”

“Not on my watch, we have the advantage! Take Garchomp out with Ice Beam, then turn that cold around and hit his ally. Hypotherm, get back and counter Greyfang’s move with your own Dragon Claw.”

Angered, Greyfang turned his head, his fangs brimming with dark powers as he snapped down on the Feraligatr’s arm, making him release the charging ice beam prematurely as the poorly-charged orb of ice energy seeped into the wound of the dragon, overpowering his nervous system and causing his consciousness to lapse as he fell on top of the Big Jaw Pokémon, effectively crushing it beneath as the red finned monster’s eyes dilated in shock and both parties fell. Without a partner or enemy, the Charizard turned his attention to the single remaining enemy as both sides brimmed with an energy residue felt even by Alakazam as the two rushed each other, the large insectile dragon striking with his claws and tail cloaked in draconic energy and the lizard Pokémon blocking and parrying with his own phalanges masked in the same energy, but in the end both dragons fell back, their bodies marked with welts and slices and them puffing heavily as the new replacements on each side emerged from their holdings. On Greenwing’s side was an amethyst scorpion, his arms attached to his head and his spiteful eyes staring the opposing phantom down, the gaseous form of a grinning face seemingly chained to a large rock with a sizable cleft in its midst.

“Reaper, think Nasty Plots and drop his dragon with a Dark Pulse. Hypotherm, keep Drapion away from Spiritomb by Fire Blasting him.”

“I’m surprised at the choice, but as such, you’re not winning. Try and hit Charizard with your own Fire Blast, Greenwing, before Dark Pulse hits! Scorn, should Charizard survive, Night Slash him and X-Scissor Spiritomb!”

The girl looked at her psychic partner, who nodded peacefully, notifying her that the psychic link between him and her other Pokémon, a Froslass seeking solace in the cave away from the blazing sun, was still active, before frowning and opening his eyes quite a width as his powers picked up a blurred idea from Reaper, the darkness of the ghost blotting much of the Psi Pokémon’s powers of perception but letting the evil plan loose as it arrived at a conclusion and smirked evilly, just as a sudden flare of heat ran past him as a kanji missile of solid fire screamed towards the Drapion and the simultaneous sound of a pained roar as the Charizard fell from the flames spewed by Greenwing as his eyes squeezed shut in exhaustion. With no hesitation, he ignored the grunt of pain by Scorn and burped out a string of demonic loops in a pulse that drove into the Flygon, putting him out of his misery before Drapion shook the flames off him and scampered at the ghost his claws aglow with bug energy as he brought them crashing down on the Forbidden Pokémon, a scream of 108 tortured souls echoing through the beach, unnerving all in the area as a few Wingull flew in terror from the nesting trees overhead, searching for a more peaceful spot.

“Reaper, demolish him with a Shadow Ball.”

“Take him down with Sludge Bomb, Scorn.”

As the battling Pokémon faced each other down, Drapion focused on his azure pincer spots to create a group of hardened blobs of noxious energy, while Reaper charged the shadows into a large orb before letting it loose as the group of biohazardous missiles barraged at him, both attacks bypassing each other and striking the foe, Drapion blaring as the orb exploded on him sending wraithlike winds through the area while the Spiritomb sank backwards, a cacophony of pained yelps as most of the bomblets splattered over him, and as the dust cleared, the ghost had retreated into his rock while the scorpion had keeled over in pain.

“What the-“

“We drew?”

The surprised loons ran to their fallen friends, before shaking hands in a show of true friendship as a small spittoon of energy peeked from the split rock and fidgeted with the claw of Drapion with a note of a good fight, just before a horrified scream rang out from the cave and crushed the spirits completely as the Froslass was sent spiralling out, mist billowing from the mouth of the cave as the trainers fell back and Alakazam stood, ready for battle as he stared into the septet of lights that glowered ominously from the fog...

Words: 1,559.

Here's mine...

Title - Battle of a Lifetime
Word Count - 1056
Trainers - Chris (me), Eduardo
Summary - Chris has made it to the Battle Pyramid. The challenge he has there defies belief...

I walked onto the battlefield. I had made it to the Battle Pyramid. Clutching my three Poke Balls eligible for entry, I took my place. I'd heard what Brandon could do. The referee made the inevitable announcement.
"Challenger Chris, your final battle has come. Quake with fear against the awesome might of Pyramid King... Eduardo!"

I hadn't expected that. Eduardo was my friend. He knew which Pokemon I had. With a glint in his eye and a smirk on his face, he said,
"Let's start it, then! Porygon-Z, I choose you!" There was no turning back now. The battle had begun.

I was so numb from the shock, I could barely hold my Poke Ball. Nevertheless, I did it, and with my cry of, "End it quick, Ilex!", my Torterra appeared on the field.
"Porygon-Z, use Tri Attack!" I remembered that Tri Attack never misses, so I watched it hit Ilex. Obviously, a bit of damage had occurred, but the status effects had been avoided.
"Ilex, hit hard with Razor Leaf!" As my Torterra's leaves flew through the air, I couldn't help noticing Eduardo's Porygon-Z looked a different colour to that on my Pokedex...

I woke up to the sound of Eduardo shouting, "Porygon-Z, use Conversion 2!" That was annoying. 2 of my moves became not very effective. It was now that I regretted teaching him this, but I screamed, "Ilex, try a Rock Climb!"
"Pah! Rock Climb? That's an HM, you twit!"
"I'm not doing it for the damage! There's another effect!" I informed him. Ilex smacked into his Porygon-Z with great force, and my hopes were used. Porygon-Z was confused!
"Yes! Now Porygon-Z might hurt itself!"
"Never mind that, Porygon-Z, use Hyper Beam anyway!" Porygon-Z blasted a beam of light our way.
"Ilex, dodge it now!" Ilex jumped out of the way, causing the Hyper Beam to bounce off of the Pyramid wall. On the way back, it banged into Porygon-Z.
"No! Porygon-Z!" Unfortunately, it was still battle ready. Remembering the Conversion 2, I issued my final command.
"Ilex, finish it with Earthquake!" The ground split, and Porygon-Z fell to the floor.
"Porygon-Z is unable to battle! Ilex is the winner!" the referee shouted.

"Porygon-Z, return! OK, now show 'em how it's done! Empoleon, go!"
"OK, Ilex, return! Finish his battle, High Volts!" My gleaming, star Luxray materialised. Empoleon didn't stand a chance!
"He he he..." Eduardo murmured. What was he hiding? "Empoleon, show your hidden power... Earthquake!"
"Earthquake...?"
"TM, anyone?" he asked sarcastically.
I could only watch as my heavily trained High Volts fainted to a big penguin!
"High Volts is unable to battle! Empoleon wins!"

"High Volts, come back! 'K, try again Ilex, and use Razor Leaf! As I was saying these words, I regretted it, remembering Empoleon's half-Steel type.
"Empoleon is part Steel type, dumbo!
"Yeah, try telling me something I don't know...!" It may well have been only Normal effective, but it looked like it hurt! What I saw then I couldn't believe! Eduardo threw it a Full Restore! "Hey, Eduardo, the rules sa--"
"Rules, rules! My Pokemon's in danger, I help it! I won't have a board tell me what to do! Empoleon, Drill Peck!"
"Ilex, dodge and use Earthquake back on it!" Ilex sure delivered. The cracks were so big that Empoleon fell into them! "Ilex, I said Earthquake, not Fissure!"
"It knows Fissure?"
"Torterra can't learn that, idiot!"
"So-reee...! Just get it out!"
"Your Pokemon's in danger! Do what you said you do! Help it!" Eventually, Eduardo shifted his butt and saved his Empoleon. "Now, Ilex, finish it with Frenzy Plant!"
"No! I wasn't ready for that!
"All's fair in love and war, Eddie!"
"Empoleon is unable to battle! Ilex is the winner!"
"Yeah! You've got 1 left!"

"OK, Chris," Eduardo said menacingly, "You may have defeated those small fries, but now is the shark of my party!" I winced. He loved to crack jokes at inappropriate moments.

"Be afraid, Chris, be very afraid. Bow before my latest Pokemon... Missingno., I CHOOSE YOU!!" An extremely strange Pokemon came out, that looked like half of the colours I was wearing and half of Eduardo's clothes in a backwards L shape. I tried to look it up in the Pokedex, but it gave me that of a Rhydon! I heard Eduardo, over Dextette's voice, shout, "Missingno, use Sky Attack!" I goggled. Surely it couldn't fly?
"Grrrr... Ilex can't do anything after that Frenzy Plant... Ilex, switch out!"
"Ignore it, Missingno.! Keep charging!"
"Come on out, Blastoise!" My Blastoise, imported from Kanto, was trained when I was rather young, so its moveset wasn't quite as good as my others, but my God, it's strong!
"OK, Missingno., do it now!" Missingno. went flying up, and slammed down onto my Blastoise! It looked bad, but no damage appeared to be done!
"Blastoise, I don't know what that is, but fight it anyway! Hydro Pump!" The jets of water slammed into Missingno., fainting it! Even I was surprised!

"Wha... Wha... Missingno., uh, return...?" Eduardo said.
"May I just ask where you got that?"
"The coast on Cinnabar Island, why?"
"Ah... See, you're not meant to be able to get it. That's why it was so weak."
"Master Chris," the referee chimed in, "Missingno. is unable to battle, you are the winner! Your prize, as standard, is the Brave Symbol."
"Yes! Guys, we did it! We got the Brave Symbol!"
"And as is also standard, we ask if you would like to be a new Frontier Brain! So, what do you say?"
"Sorry, but my journey has way to go!"

Here's mine. Good luck to everyone!

Word count: 1999
The moon rose high above the steep mountain slope, with the smooth crystalline obsidian flowing down from summit to valley, jarred only by the shining stalagmites that cast themselves up randomly among the sparkling stone. Stars sang their song of light in the sky, their fires bringing life to the chilled air and world in shadow. And there were three below. Cradled between the spires of the silky rock that sprung forth diagonally, he, the human with the ebony-violet hair that flew down past his shoulders, took respite from his life. Around him, the two smaller ones- Pokèmon, as they were called- romped playfully about the rock formations, mewing cheerfully. Siblings and friends from birth, the Espeon and Umbreon around him danced and jolted at each other playfully.

The human sighed and shifted in his seat, turning his face slightly, still staring wistfully at the moon. As he did, the other two halted in their place, and glanced over at him, concerned. No one stirred for a moment, and just as the little ones were about to resume their fun, a shrill and harsh cry was heard echoing up from the valley.

“-sel!”

Its raspy and rushed voice grew in volume as it approached. And as it came, it leaped over the last ridge into view of the human. Espeon and Umbreon turned towards it, both poised to attack. There it stood, proud, staring down the other two Pokémon, its claws sharp, teeth born, the cerise feather on its head waving gracefully through the air.

“Sneasel!”

The human turned to see the Pokémon, and smiled.

“Oh, a Sneasel... Cute,” he said, as he jumped up, reaching for his Pokéballs. In that moment, the weasel sprinted off. “Umbreon, stop it from leaving!” Umbreon instantly raced alongside it. Yet, Sneasel was faster. The path through the stalagmites became narrow further ahead, and when Sneasel stumbled among the glassy stone, Umbreon bounded forth, bouncing off of the spire, landing straight in front of the weasel, with an elegant slip of the paws. In the moonlight, and in action, its body's rings were in full glow, a pure white emanating from each, blinding the stunned Sneasel.

“Beautiful, Umbreon. Now, Mean Look.”

Umbreon glared straight through the Sneasel's eyes and pierced its soul. For the competitors now, the rest of the world ceased to exist; all that remained was this battle. Trapped in an abysmal dimension closer to and farthest from reality as one could be, they began the true battle.

“Espeon, you will have to sit this out,” the human suddenly said, shooting red light from the Pokéball, and recalling Espeon as it brayed a satisfied mew. The two that stood before him were of light and darkness- Umbreon, glowing bright with energy of Luna herself, and the Sneasel, standing strong, bold and brave before an unknown challenger.

Without warning, the Sneasel flew forward, cutting the air with a lightning-fast slash. Umbreon ducked under the weasel's arm, but the claw clipped its ear. Spinning around from behind, the momentum gave it strength and with its tail, Umbreon knocked Sneasel against the stone structure in a whirl of light. Sneasel gave a pained cry as it fell against the obsidian. Umbreon raced down the slope, and again ricocheted off the crystalline spire, flipping back in the air in another glorious blaze of light, and slammed Sneasel from above. Though what the creature hit was no Sneasel, but again the slippery stone of the mountain, as Sneasel had escaped in the flash.

Seconds passed. Umbreon slid to its feet, trying to maintain balance. The stone was cold, the air was ice. A stern silence boomed over the mountain side. The wind's chorus soon filled the scene, wispy, waving, washing over the world like a great flood.

Suddenly, a large dark orb shot forth from the tip of a spire. Umbreon flew out of the way and turned to face the threat, as another shadowy ball followed. Each crashed into the stone with a piercing shock, denting the stone with the umber flares. Umbreon zigzagged through the stalagmites and shadow missiles to reach the source. He drew near, and at the moment of opportunity, Umbreon leaped into the air to come crashing down on where Sneasel should have been. But in the passing second, a grand shadow ball struck Umbreon head-on, knocking it back into a crystal tower. It fell to the ground with a whimper, and collapsed, as the light faded from its body to little more than saffron markings.

“Sneeeeasel!”

Solemnly, the human withdrew the fainted Pokémon, glaring at the weasel, who now looked quite cheerful. From behind, slow, solitary claps echoed, followed by the click of footsteps, marching calmly up the glossy slope. A crimson light shot forth from below, and Sneasel vanished.

“That wasn't wild?”

A second trainer appeared through the darkness. “Wimp,” he snorted.

“You trained it well,” the dark-haired human responded.

“I don't need your praise.” The opposition's voice was all that was present. His figure remained obscured. Yet, the countenance was clearly visible in blindness —angry, bitter, and misunderstood.

“I'm Ame. You?” asked the visible trainer.

“I care nothing for a weakling's name. And I will keep my own.”

“What do you say to a match? And we'll call that the first point for you.”

Without another word, they both threw in their next battlers. Ame's Mismagius appeared, and for the other trainer, Gengar.

“Pah!” the foe shouted. “Bad choice! You've lost already, weakling. Gengar is both faster and stronger than any Mismagius!”

“True,” Ame called back. “But Gengar can't do half of the things that Mismagius can.”

Mismagius' necklace glowed, and suddenly Gengar collapsed. Mismagius cackled happily and the world around the Pokémon began to vanish. The obsidian slope disappeared, and was replaced by a crystalline wasteland, with flooded ground, raging blizzards, amethyst pinnacles, and a lucid nova-filled sky. Gengar stood, Mismagius vanished

As Gengar looked for her, a second cackle was heard- one that seemed to sing a beautiful, but toxic song. Then, the world echoed and came to life- crystals stabbed forth from the ground to impale the ghost on their tip; the water reformed itself to fling its body at him; stars bolted at him like arrows of fire, and even the wind tried to choke the Pokémon. Still, there was no sign of Gengar's foe.

Three- the Gengar darted about, careful not to stay to low, lest the crystal strike him, wary not to drift too high, lest the stars shoot around him, cautious not to stay too still, should the water take him, but sure not to move too much, should the wind forsake him. He was lost in the blackest midnight, in a world illuminated by the galaxy in the sky, and stars' crashing light, in delusion, illusion, confusion.

Two- the ice collided with itself and fused together, creating the perfect, reflective sheets, that drifted like paper on a calm wind, rising up and about, becoming mirrors, so Gengar felt himself, his foe. In confusion, he struck, to shatter the mirrors. Starlight shone in his distraction and grazed the Gengar, burning him, where little more than a will-o-wisp had struck, and the nova crashed against the ground bursting into fireworks of water and crystal.

One- The illusion withdrew. Mismagius had yet to move from the spot where it had started. Gengar furiously launched a Shadow Ball, which Mismagius easily dodged, though it was followed by a vicious swipe from Gengar, which seemed to melt the air around it. Mismagius flew back, as Gengar spewed lightning, fire and ice at the magical Pokémon, who was knocked against the obsidian. Unrelenting, Gengar appeared behind her, and stunned her with a massive lick, spelling her doom.

Zero- And in those seconds, reality distorted, and Gengar struck himself. Mismagius was reprieved, and Gengar took his own fang to be split between them. Yet, something failed. The reaper came quickly, and sucked the life from one. He gasped, and his grin faded. Gengar perished on the spot, and Mismagius loosed a victory howl of laughter.

“So much for the ever-superior Gengar,” Ame remarked.

“Hmph. Gengar, return.” The opponent sneered, as they both withdrew their Pokémon. A silvery light erupted, and there stood the next challenge.

“You have an Alakazam? Then I'll use my own psychic.” Ame tossed out his last Pokémon, and with a second blinding flash, the two faced each other- Alakazam and Gardevoir.

“Go!” both trainers shouted simultaneously.

The two Pokémon rushed at each other instantly, and just when they were to make contact, both vanished in a flash of rainbow light.

A moment passed with neither sound nor movement. The darkness lingered, the silence echoed. And then with a shrill sound of a sword crashing upon stone, lightning crashed from nowhere down unto the mountainside, parallel bolts dropping upon the spires and raining deep through the stalagmite field, as each acted like a lightning rod. Descending from the heavens, both Gardevoir and Alakazam fell, locked in each other's psychic barrier, and as they approached the ground, their energy fields tore apart the charged crystal, sending the burning obsidian flying in every direction.

With a deep and shorting sound, both barriers faded at once, and each Pokèmon was knocked back towards their trainer. Gardevoir fell into Ame's arms, caught, and Ame supported her, and wiped the sparking gravel from her face. Alakazam flew back, but his trainer was quick, sidestepped, and Alakazam crashed against a crystal crag, shocking itself.

“Alakazam, stop fooling around!”

“Ka-zam!” he replied, and regained his ground, immediately ripping the stalagmite behind him from the ground and flinging it over his head towards Gardevoir and Ame. Gardevoir, without hesitation, stood between the flying spire and Ame, arms spread wide to shield him. Before he could react, the spire crashed down against her face. The world seemed to freeze for a moment, Gardevoir squealed, and a blinding cerulean flash erupted forth from her. Half of the crystal structure crashed down and slid on either side of her. Bits of obsidian fell to the ground around him, followed by Gardevoir, who staggered, and collapsed from the impact.

“Gardevoir!” Ame gasped, collecting her, “are you okay..?” She looked up at him and smiled, and he sighed in relief.

“Alaka-zam!”

The foe slowly stomped through the now battered field of stalagmites. Gardevoir, turned just in time to watch the Pokémon launch one of its spoons towards her. Propelled like a bullet by a psychic blast, the spoon flew straight towards Gardevoir, piercing several rows of stalagmites, and struck her, shocking her again with the energy from the spires, and knocking her back to the ground completely.

“Gardevoir, that's eno-” Ame began to say as he gathered her Pokéball to recall her, but she cut him off, shaking her head. She climbed to her feet.

“You can still stand? Pretty good, for a wimp,” the other trainer snorted.

Gardevoir glared at him, full of fury, and then turned and retaliated to Alakazam with a burst of energy that sent him flying into the air. Though she was exhausted, she used the last of her strength to draw the energy from the thunder-charged obsidian spires and swirl it around her. And she danced with it, spinning gorgeously, holding it, and elegantly dancing steps of a ball-room waltz through the battered field. As Alakazam struggled to his feet again, she faced him, and spun her hands, recoiling the energy into a small orb, and instantly launched the zap cannon back towards Alakazam, slamming him against the same rock Ame rested on not long ago.

“....Fools,” the other trainer muttered, withdrawing Alakazam, and, though clearly very frustrated, continuing up the mountain slope without another word. Ame recalled Gardevoir, as well, and turned to see his competitor for the first time. But all that could be seen was his back- boots, a black jacket, and long flowing red hair.

Old Gideon McCrowley

Old Gideon McCrowley tipped his straw hat back a moment to scratch idly at a spot on his bald scalp which had been nagging at him all morning. Sitting beside him was scraggly Nettie McCrowley who had also been nagging at him all morning. He swayed back and forth in his rocking chair, frowning into the hot Johto day and listening to Nettie natter on about how if he didn’t patch this porch up before winter it would collapse and murder them both.

“Trainer comin’ roun’ th’bend thur,” he murmured at last.

“How d’yuh figger thet, y’blind ol’ coot?” Nettie squawked.

“M’danged knee acts up ever’time thur’s a trainer comin’ round th’bend thur.” Gideon slapped his knee. Sure enough it was as sore as a burning Bellsprout.

Nettie grunted something about feeding Bless-Yo-Soul the Mareep, but no sooner had she stood up than a trainer did indeed come round the bend. She was a beautiful girl of perhaps sixteen. Her waist-length hair was auburn with blond highlights. Her eyes were shockingly violet. Gideon squinted for a better look as she approached their dilapidated shack, leaned forward in his chair, and fell off the porch. “Howdy thur, gal!” he yelled from the mud, over Nettie’s despairing clucks.

“Hi!” said the girl. “I’m Ravyn Foxfyre. I’m Flannery’s little sister, Cynthia’s cousin twice removed and Sabrina’s pen pal and I’m going to be the greatest Pokemon trainer in the world. Are you a trainer? Want to battle? I’ve beaten everyone else here on Route 38.”

“A battle?” Gideon gasped. “Lawd a’mighty! Ain’t battled none in nigh-on-twenty yeahs, Ah reckon! Sho’ nuff, gal, lessee what y’got. Go, Jedediah!” He seized a Pokeball off the belt strapped around his overalls and threw it onto the ground. Then he roared in shock. Lying there was a splatter of white-yellow goo laced with pieces of shell. “Jedediah!” Gideon croaked. His eyes rolled skyward. “Nettie! Jed’s done up an’ left us-all fer good!”

“Y’idjit, them’s m’eggs y’got thur what Ah was gon’ fry up fer luncheon,” Nettie screeched. Gideon would hear none of it; he was now whispering “Jed, Jed!” in a broken voice. Nettie limped inside, muttering, “Gon’ hafta wipe ‘em down with m’rag now yuh’ve got y’greasy paws all ov’em.”

Soon she returned with his Pokeballs. “Jed!” Gideon cried immediately with a gap-toothed grin. He flung a Pokeball off the porch. A Dunsparce emerged, buzzed softly and wriggled forward. “Jedediah’s been muh bes’ friend ev’since he got me out th’well back in ’22,” Gideon said proudly.

“That’s nice,” Ravyn smiled. “But you’ll have to send out two more Pokemon, because I only engage in triple battles. The League made that special rule for me because of my tragic past and heroic destiny.” She pulled out three Pokeballs and tossed them onto the ground. The three bursts of crimson light materialized into a robust Arcanine, a lithe Espeon and a shimmering Flygon. “This is Inferno, this is Solaris and this is Dustshoot.”

“Triple battle, eh? Fair ’nuff.” Gideon hurled two more Pokeballs beside the Dunsparce. Now a Shuckle peeped timidly out of its shell and a Qwilfish puffed up in warning. “This heah’s Zechariah, an’ this heah’s Obadiah.”

“Ready? Let’s go!” Ravyn said, and immediately began commanding her Pokemon. “Inferno, start things off with Leer! Solaris, use Helping Hand to raise Dustshoot’s power! Dustshoot, Sand-Attack!”

At once, Inferno stared menacingly at Gideon’s Pokemon. Zechariah cowered in fear and Obadiah deflated a little, but Jedediah seemed unfazed, perhaps because his eyes were always closed. Solaris lifted a paw to aid Dustshoot, who whipped up sand from around the shack and blew it toward Gideon’s Pokemon. Gideon coughed and rubbed his eyes; Nettie hurried back inside.

“Cain’ have thet,” Gideon rasped. “Jed, hit ‘em with one o’yer Yawns! Obi, Minimize! Zech—” But Ravyn was already shouting her next orders. “Inferno, Ember on the Shuckle! Solaris, Confusion on the Qwilfish! Dustshoot, Sand Tomb on the Dunsparce!” Her Pokemon leapt to oblige. Inferno, first to attack, spat a fireball at Zechariah.

“Not th’fire! An’ me jes’ outta Burn Heals after Bless-Yo-Soul knocked thet candle over coupla days ago!” Zechariah cringed as the flames hit his shell. Obadiah, on the other hand, had shrunk enough to avoid Solaris’ attack. Gideon was about to congratulate him, but he was distracted by the discovery that Jedediah was gone again. A hole in the dirt was all that remained.

“Musta Digged him his way t’ safety, clever lil’ rascal!” Gideon laughed. Then he broke off as Inferno let out a massive yawn, curled up and fell asleep.

“What?” Ravyn cried.

Gideon waved his hat and danced unevenly around the porch. “Jed’s Yawn got ‘im! Tole yuh thet lil’ blighter were som’n special!”

“All right, it’s a two-on-two battle for a moment. Not a problem. Solaris, Psych Up! Copy the Qwilfish’s evasion boost. Dustshoot, hit the Shuckle with Sonicboom!”

“Best Withdraw from thet’un, Zech.” Zechariah, however, didn’t move as Dustshoot’s shockwave struck. “Dagnabbit, cain’ y’hear me?” Gideon shouted. “Obi! Don’t y’got some kinda Bug move?” Solaris’ self-hypnotized trance was interrupted when Obadiah ejected a flurry of needles from his puffy body. Hurt by the Pin Missile, the Espeon fell back with a cry, exactly when the ground broke under her paws and Jedediah burst up to attack.

“Solaris!” Ravyn gasped. “Dustshoot, that Shuckle must be almost finished by now. Take him down with Dragonbreath!”

Dustshoot flew down, inhaling deeply. But as his mouth opened to reveal gathering flames, Zechariah rocketed upward, his shell glowing red. He collided with the Flygon and knocked him back. Gideon was so ecstatic that he nearly broke the railing off the porch. “Zechy! Yuh was jes’ Bidin’ yur time! Shoulda known y’was plannin’ som’n good, y’ol’ wart!”

Ravyn looked ready to cry, but she cheered at the sight of Inferno, who had risen from his slumber. His red-orange fur bristled at the sight of Solaris’ and Dustshoot’s injuries, and without waiting for orders he rolled into a fiery spin toward Gideon’s Pokemon.

“Curl up thur, Jed!” Gideon said desperately. Jedediah, the first to be hit by Inferno’s Flame Wheel, buckled down into a Defense Curl and weathered the attack without major damage. Tripping on the balled-up Dunsparce, Inferno passed over Obadiah but landed heavily on Zechariah. The Flame Wheel’s impact devastated the Shuckle, who squealed in agony and retreated into his charred shell.

Zechariah!” Gideon pressed the button on one of his Pokeballs and recalled the Shuckle. “Nev’yuh mine, Zechy, nev’yuh mine… did fine… mangy ol’ mongrel ain’t gon’ hurt yuh no more…”

Ravyn grinned triumphantly, and for a moment her eyes flashed red, almost as if she was half-demon or something. “That’s one down, two to go! Solaris, use—” She was interrupted by Nettie, once again in the doorway. “Ah’m makin’ th’scrambled eggs,” she told Gideon. “Y’want some grub after th’battle, Robin? Set yoself heah fo’ a spell an’ have a lil’ lunch.”

“That’d be great,” said Ravyn without correcting her. Gideon was less gracious. “Woman, Ah’m tryin’ t’battle heah! Zech jes’ wen’ down unner fire!” Nettie shambled back inside with much mutinous muttering.

“Where was I…? Oh yes. Solaris, use Morning Sun. Dustshoot, give them a taste of Sandstorm!” Solaris arched her back to the sky as the bright sun restored some of her vitality. Dustshoot flapped his diamond-shaped wings to stir up a sand cloud. All the other Pokemon recoiled as the sand seared their skin.

Gideon winced, too. “Jed, long’s yuh’s curled up like thet, whyn’t yuh go fer a roll? An’ Obi, how ’bout a jab on thet thur Espeon?”

Still ball-shaped, Jedediah went into a Rollout, following Inferno’s movements. The first time they collided, the Arcanine only growled and swiped at Jedediah, but the second time he hit Inferno, it seemed to cause some appreciable damage… and the third time, Inferno barked in pain. Meanwhile, Obadiah fired a venomous barb at Solaris, causing the Espeon to hiss and soothe her poisoned injury.

“Inferno, Agility! Solaris, Psybeam!”

Inferno sped forward and momentarily blinked out of sight. When he’d stopped, Jedediah had given up rolling after him and lay there feebly. Solaris scored a powerful hit with Psybeam, battering Obadiah with the rainbow-colored blast. “No, Obi! Y’ain’t out yet! Water Gun!” Gideon cried hoarsely. Obadiah puffed up weakly, then spurted a thin stream of water at Dustshoot, circling overhead. But the water seemed to cause aggravated damage; Dustshoot screeched and fell to the ground. The Sandstorm faded as the Flygon lost consciousness.

“How could—? Oh…” Ravyn said thoughtfully. “That water was saturated with salts from Sandstorm. The Water Gun became Brine. Brilliant… Dustshoot, return.”

Gideon was overjoyed. “Fines’ battle Ah ev’fought!” he shouted. “Better’n shootin’ Magikarp in a barrel. Jed, take ’em down!” Jedediah slammed into the poisoned Solaris and plowed her into the ground. When the dust cleared, the Espeon was not stirring. Jedediah too, though, looked battered.

“I don’t believe it!” Ravyn gasped, recalling Solaris. “Inferno, this is embarrassing. Wipe out the Qwilfish! Flamethrower!”

Although the Water Pokemon resisted Fire moves, he was so badly damaged that Gideon knew it was over. Obadiah fainted under the jet of flame. Inferno rounded on Jedediah and caught the Dunsparce between his jaws in a Crunch.

Gideon’s voice cracked as he shouted his last order. “Jedediah! Flail!”

That settled it. Jedediah had taken such a beating that his Flailing body broke free of Inferno’s mouth and struck the Arcanine full in the face. Inferno howled and reared onto his hind legs. Then he collapsed.

When Gideon realized what had happened, he let out an ear-splitting whoop which prompted Nettie to reappear, clutching a skillet laden with scrambled eggs. She looked on disapprovingly as Gideon two-stepped around the porch in his joy. “Hoo-ee! Some fight thur, missy, some fight thur! Yessiree yessiree! Fust pusson says thet wun’t some fight thur gets a pow’ful wallopin’ from me.”

“Oh my gosh…” said Ravyn. “I’ve never lost a battle before. Never!” She looked heartbroken, but brightened immediately. “That means… you must be my rival!”

Gideon blinked. “Eh? – what?”

“My rival!” Ravyn sang. “Oh I’m so happy I found you. We’re going to have the best time! We’ll race across the land, spurring one another on to improve, sharing an affable enmity that eventually gives way to true friendship! Ready to go? I hope you have the first four Johto badges, otherwise I’ve got one heck of a head start!”

There was silence, broken only by the cawing of a Pidgeotto. Gideon stared at Ravyn for a solid minute before shouting his answer.

“Race? Badges? Consarn it all, what fer? Look heah, gal, Ah’ve done worked this farm fo’ fo’ty yeahs an’ been twice monthly kicked in th’teeth by Bessie our mad Tauros an’ what fer? So’s Ah kin go aroun’ fightin’ Gym Leaders an’ catchin’ a whole mess’a ugly critters Ah’ll nev’look twice at nohow? Cain’ yuh jes’ leave an ol’ feller in peace, yuh crazy varmint! Nettie. Han’ me thet thur skillet thur. Git outta heah, yuh lil’ upstart! Garn! Git!” And, swinging the skillet ineptly at Ravyn, Gideon chased her until she fled around the bend, sobbing that she was going to post about this on Whitney’s wall.

“Wull now,” said Gideon. “Thet’s thet.” He called Jedediah back and resumed his seat on the porch. “Them lil’ hot rods,” he said heavily. Nettie sat beside him and took the skillet from his wrinkled hands. “Yuh throwed out our entire luncheon thur when yuh took thet swing at her,” she said. “Jes’ an uncouth youth, thet’s all,” Gideon said darkly. “Y’gon’ hafta run fetch me s’more eggs at th’shop,” Nettie pressed on. Gideon tipped his hat back and scratched his head. “Real shame how they-all’s raisin’ thur young’uns now-days.” “Y’ain’t listenin’ t’me, yuh dumb stump,” said Nettie. “A cryin’ shame, Ah say,” Gideon continued. “A real, cryin’…”

If you keep on long enough it turns into a novel.

The One in which Redder Battles a Silly Girl

Title: The One in which Redder Battles a Silly Girl
Word Count: 1385

----

It was a dark and stormy night... no, no. That's a lie. It was actually a rather warm summer night on Route Pi over Two, an upscale path along the coast leading to the rich people's houses. This meant functioning street lights, a paved road, mowed grass, and very few travelers.

Joe “Redder” Andurin was not entirely sure why he decided to adventure off in this particular direction. There was nothing to be found here except for the dirty stares of rich folk in their slick European vehicles, judging him for his generally grungy appearance. As a Pokemon trainer, Redder had to live out of one backpack during the weeks of travel between cities, and therefore didn't really get a chance to shower or change clothes. It was pretty gross, to say the least.

Redder was bored. He had taken this road in the hopes that he could quietly train his Pokemon and fish at the lake, but halfway from the Pokemon Center, he realized that he had left his fishing rod behind. Since he had already gone so far, he decided to just explore. He had been walking for about an hour and hadn't seen a trace of Pokemon, tame or otherwise, and was about to turn back when he thought he spotted a patch of tall grass. With renewed fervor, Redder jogged toward the spot.

The first things he noticed were the three burned Pidgey strewn haphazardly about the ground. The next thing he noticed was a completely eviscerated Sentret just inside the grass. The boy was about to venture inside when someone shouted,

“HEY!”

Redder paused, unsure of what was happening. Suddenly, a rather attractive girl about his age pushed her way out of the grass. “We made eye contact! We need to battle Pokemon!”

“What if I refuse?” Redder queried.

“No one refuses Minerva Annabelle Rosaline Ysabelle Serenity Una-Evangeline!”

“Oh my gosh. I hope you gave your parents grief for a name that pretentious.”

“Don't you dare insult the name that I chose for myself!”

Okay, she's an over-privileged brat. But I guess I should at least get some training experience out of this useless trip, Redder thought to himself. “Well my nickname's Redder. Can I call you by something shorter?”

“My friends call me Mary Sue,” the girl said. She brushed a strand of her brilliant, voluminous, shiny, straight, glossy, lower back length, brilliant, well-conditioned, sparkling, raven-black hair out of her face. “Now let's battle. Charizard, go!”

With that, a Charizard bounded out of the tall grass behind Mary Sue, landing in front of her in an aggressive stance.

Redder pulled a pokeball from his pocket. He loved cargo shorts because they were comfy and easy to wear. Plus they had tons of pockets. Redder tossed his pokeball in front of him. “Righteous, I choose you!”

As the pokeball hit the ground, it opened up and a blob of red light shot out of it. The light quickly took shape and solidified into Redder's party leader, Slowpoke (who was named Righteous). The Pokemon already had a goofy grin and a vacant stare on its face as it materialized.

“Haha, seriously? You really expect to beat me with the first stage evolution of a retarded Pokemon?”

“Surf!”

“Hey I wasn't ready!” Luckily for Mary Sue, Righteous was still registering its command. “Charizard, use Flamethrower!”

Charizard reared back and gathered fire in its mouth. It began to breath out flames when suddenly a large wave of water manifested on the battlefield and crashed straight into the pseudo-dragon. Charizard fell backwards from the force, dazed and confused by all the water.

“Something tells me you need to talk less and just battle if my Slowpoke thinks faster than you,” Redder said.

“Charizard, return!” Mary Sue said angrily. “Tyranitar, I choose you!”

“What the hell is that? That's not a Pokemon.”

“Yes it is! It's Tyranitar, number 248, the Armor Pokemon, and my daddy bought him for me for Christmas!”

“248? There are only 152 Pokemon,” Redder said in an annoyed voice. “Whatever. I'll humor you and your fake Pokemon. Righteous, return. Golem, do it.”

“Trying to get a type advantage on my rock/dark type with your ground type, huh? Well I'll show you. Ice fang!”

With that, the Tyranitar charged at Golem, its mouth gleaming with icy breath, and bit down on the rock Pokemon's body.

“Dark type? That's not a type of Pokemon. You're silly. Mega Kick that thing in the teeth, Golem!”

Even while inside the other Pokemon's mouth, Golem's foot began to glow. Due to his proximity, Golem easily shoved his foot into Tyranitar's incisors, breaking several of them. The large Pokemon dropped the rock and stumbled back a bit. Golem struggled to his feet, severely weakened by the attack.

“Golem can't learn Mega Kick!”

“This TM05 that I picked up at the Celadon Department Store says otherwise.”

“That's old technology. Whatever. Tyranitar, one more Ice Fang!”

Redder waited for Tyranitar's mouth to close around Golem again. “Explosion.”

Mary Sue had a horrified look on her face when she realized that her precious Tyranitar had bitten down on a rather large bomb. Golem began to glow, and shortly thereafter, exploded. The shockwave knocked both the trainers off their feet. Dust and debris clouded the battlefield for a few moments, and when it all dissipated, both Pokemon were on their backs, completely knocked out.

“It looks like your fake Pokemon bit off a bit more than it could chew.” Redder chuckled.

“You'll pay for that!” Mary Sue said.

“Don't lose your head now,” Redder said. “Still want to battle?”

“It's ok. Daddy will buy me a new one. Dragonite, I choose you! Take to the air with Fly!”

“Cubone, go. Just sit there, I guess, and wait for that dragon to come back down.”

Cubone crossed his arms and tapped his foot impatiently. He drummed a little on the ground with his club.

“Cubone definitely has the type disadvantage here. Why'd you pick him?”

“Because he's pure metal. I mean, he wears his mother's skull. How awesome is that?”

“But he's ground against my flying!”

“I taught him Fire Blast,” Redder said as if a Fire Blasting Cubone was the most normal thing in the world.

“... Although that would have totally surprised me if you hadn't said anything, dragon Pokemon still resist fire.”

“Says the girl who laughed at me when I sent out my Slowpoke against her Charizard.”

“That's not the point!”

“Quit your whining. Wait, how is it that we've had a whole conversation without your Dragonite coming back down?”

“You haven't even ended your turn!” Mary Sue shouted, slightly upset at everything.

Cubone Growled impatiently. Dragonite came flying back down, slamming straight into Cubone's skull helmet. The little Pokemon's helmet absorbed much of the impact, but he was still dazed afterwards.

“Cubone, use Bone Club!”

He quickly recovered and mustered all of his strength to slam his club into Dragonite's belly. Absolutely nothing happened.

“Haha! Flying immunity against ground! Dragonite, Slam the little bugger! ”

“That immunity doesn't even make sense,” Redder said in a calm voice, despite the fact that his Cubone had just been smashed a foot into the ground by a Dragonite. “Return. Righteous, get your butt back out there and use Psychic,” the trainer said while tossing a pokeball.

Slowpoke materialized again, but despite the early instructions, still took some time to process what was going on.

“Now's your chance, Dragonite. Thunder Punch!”

Dragonite brought its fist back, lightning gathering at its finger tips. It charged the poor little Slowpoke and punched him in the face. It was an instant KO.

“Oh dear, I'm out of Pokemon,” Redder said as he recalled his Slowpoke.

“Yes! That means I get to knock you out and take your money!”

“Wait, we agreed to no such-” Redder was rudely interrupted as Mary Sue ran up to him and kicked him in the teeth, knocking him out cold. She went through his pockets until she found his wallet, took exactly half of his current funds, then walked away whistling. Redder began drooling on the sidewalk.

"One, Two, Cue..Ball: A trip to the Islands"

Word Count: 1582

The day began like any other. The sun came into full bloom like a flower opening its petals for the first time. The warmth in the air and the passing hoppip, meant spring was on the way. It had been a few months since the year began and our hero Dave had not long beaten the Sinnoh League late the previous year.

Feeling bright eyed and bushy tailed Dave and his 3 main pokemon, Nidoking, Torterra and Poliwrath awoke to embrace the day. Nidoking was evolved from a trustworthy, yet arrogant nidoran male he had caught in Kanto Safari Zone not long after he began his journey as a pokemon trainer. It liked him very much, but sometimes it got proud of its power and went overboard and stopped listening to Dave.

Torertta was obtained in a trade in Sinnoh. It was traded from a pokemon breeder who needed a pidgeot for his breeding purposes. This was in Soleceon town, at the pokemon day care.

The final of Daves pokemon, Poliwrath, he caught as a poliwhirl when he obtained a super rod from a fisherman he met on his journey through Kanto. It was special to him as it was taught the move metronome from a move tutor he met. It could also use the move surf very well.

Dave was at present, on one island in Sevii islands. He decided to stop there as it was such a nice place to visit. Now, a rumour was going about that on two island, a few trainers gathered to battle and one person could not be beaten by anyone so far. Hearing this, Dave knew he had to investigate. Dave and his party got a lift on a boat too two island. The boat was shaped like a big pelliper. It was owned and run by a woman called Kelly Mason. She was in her 30’s with long dark hair and wearing a white sailors outfit and life jacket.

As Dave arrived on the island, he noticed three trainers looking quite bummed out. One was a young boy with glasses and thickish dark hair. He had a vileplume and a Slugma with him, both looking worse for wear. The second trainer was a girl, looking in her 20’s with wavy brunette hair and was tall. She had a pidgeot and a marowak with her. They too looked like they been in the wars. The final trainer was a boy about 10 years old. He was wearing a red baseball cap, and blue pants and shirt. He had a victreebel and a raticate with him, both looking same as other two trainer’s pokemon.

There was a guy not far from them, a big guy with a motorcycle. As Dave camly approached the trainers, they stopped him and warned “that man is a Cue Ball, a very tough biker guy. He has very powerful pokmeon with him and he says that two island belongs to him and his fellow men. An angry look grew on Daves face as he went up to the cue ball.

“What do you think you’re doing?” shouted Dave hastily. A 6ft or so bulky man turned around, his bald head shone in the sunlight. He had terrible stubble all over his face and wore leather biker gear. “My name is Braxton, Cue Ball Braxton. I can guess why your here, to challenge me, right?” Stepping back, Dave says in a cross voice “You have no right to be here. I’ll make sure you leave your business in Kanto where it belongs. “ “Mighty harsh words for a little pip squeak like yourself” grins Braxton. “I’ll take on your challenge. You won’t beat me, but in the case that you do, I’ll leave your precious island.”

A eerie silence fell over the area where the trainers were. Braxton picks up a pokeball from his belt and in a strong voice says “you can use as many pokemon as you like. When they are all defeated, I’ll go about my business. I will only need to use my three.” So Dave nods to all the trainers and turns to Braxton. “Fine by me. Alright Nidoking, come on out!” A strong looking nidoking stands ready to face it opponent. The other trainers look in amazement. “All right then, come on out Machamp!” Cue Ball throws his pokeball and out comes a Machamp, looking like it has won many harsh battles and came of better.

“Alright Machamp, seismic toss!” commands Braxton. “Don’t do anything Nidoking, just wait” the trainers mumble to themselves “what is he doing?” and similar. Just as Machamp gets ready to life Nidoking up, Dave shouts “Now Nidoking, iron tail!” as soon as Machamp goes to use seismic toss, it is beaten back hard when iron tail hits. Machamp flies back almost hitting Braxton and finally colliding with a tree behind him. The tree was not a big strong tree, so the tree cracked and the top half falls on Machamp, crash! “Hah!” says Dave “some Machamp, huh?” and as soon as this happens, Machamp tries to lift off the tree; it manages to chuck it a little bit, but behold... its poisoned! Nidokings poison point, poisoned Machamp!

“Now Nidoking, lets finish it... Earthquake!” Nidoking looks towards Machamp and roars and uses earthquake. Slowly getting too weak to dodge attack, it hits Machamp and it’s knocked out. “Return Machamp!” Says Braxton as he returns Machamp to its pokeball. “You may have beaten my Machamp, but you’re not going to win again!” The trainers in the background look about in glee over what’s happened. “You may have raw power Braxton, but I have beaten both Kanto and Sinnoh leagues and know quite a bit when it comes to battling pokemon properly.”

“OK, will you change pokemon or will you stick with your Nidoking?” asks Braxton. “What do you think Nidoking? Feeling good?” “King! Nidoking!” Braxton looks quite pleased now. Why? “Go Alakazam!” Now Braxton has the upperhand. “Alakazam, use confusion!” Alakazam looks at Nidoking and uses confusion. Nidoking manages to avoid the attack. “Now, Nidoking, focus punch!” shouts Dave before he realises what he has done. “Hah, now Alakazam, use psychic!” Alakazam uses psychic and badly damages Nidoking. Nidoking loses its focus punch. “Now, let’s do this right! Nidoking, use earthquake” says Dave. Nidoking uses Earthquake and Alakazam gets hit. It works well, but Alakazam uses confusion again and confuses Nidoking and it faints.

Only two pokemon of Braxtons left, two of Daves, but Dave has two fully strong pokemon, Braxtons Alakazam has been hurt by Nidokings earthquake. “Getting ready to go back home yet?” laughs Braxton. “Not quite yet” says Dave confidently. “It’s time we put you in your place” Dave thinks of his last two pokemon, Poliwrath and Torterra.

He decides to use Torterra as Poliwrath being part fighting has a weakness to psychic moves that Alakazam knows. “Go Torterra, you can do it!” Torterra comes out and roars. Alakazam, now looks hard at Torterra. “Alakazam, you can win! Just keep using confusion!” Alakazam uses confusion and Torterra can’t dodge as Torterra is slow and can’t run well. It hits Torterra but does not confuse. “OK, Earthquake, Torterra” Says Dave camly. Torterra roars and uses earthquake. “Quick Alakazam, double team!” Braxton orders. Alakazam uses double team, but it’s too late. Alakazam gets hit by earthquake and faints. Only one of Braxton’s pokemon left! The other trainers look around in glee, whispering things like “He’s going to do it! This place is going to be free once more!”

Braxton looks angered up. “That does it kid! Are you ready for impending doom?” “Go Magmortar!” Out comes a magmortar spitting fire up in the air “mortar...magmor..tar” Dave calls back Torterra and looks at its pokeball in his hand “good work, you were excellent, take a long rest”

What will Dave do now? Only Magmortar is left, it looks simple now. “Go Poliwrath!” “Rath...Poli..Poli...Poliwrath!” The matchup looks simple, water against fire; you can guess who will triumph. “OK Magmortar, use fissure!” says Braxton, looking cool. “Dodge Poliwrath!” says Dave. Poliwrath jumps up and dodges the attack. Dave looks around and nods to trainers and back to Braxton. “Poliwrath, lets finish this! Use Surf!” As soon as the surf wave comes over towards Magmortar, Braxton has a plot. “Ride the wave Magmortar, you can do it!” In amazement of all the other trainers and Dave, Magnortar jumps onto and rides the wave as if it won’t do much harm to it.

“Hahahaha kiddo. Never underestimate me!” Shouts Braxton in an intimidating tone. Dave thinks of what he could do. “Hmm...aahh, yes! Use hypnosis Poliwrath!” Dave grins. Magmortar can’t dodge or be wet and faint. Poliwrath uses hypnosis and puts Magmortar to sleep. The wave hits Magmortar and disappears. Magmortar faints.

All the trainers and Dave jump for joy “yay! We did it Poliwrath!” says Dave. Looking angry, Braxton returns Magmorter to its pokeball and says “Kid, you’re not like all the others here. You have a strength that even I could not beat. I can see it takes skill to battle right. But don’t think this is the last of me and my gang. One day, we shall return!”

A short while later and the bikers have left the island. The trainers congratulate Dave and he is just glad the Cue Ball and his cronies are gone back to Kanto. He can now relax like he wanted, just him, the islands and his pokemon.

Title: Ongoing Rivalry
Word Count: 1912

Elliot grinned. He lived for this. The thrill of the battle. The knowledge that one false move could be the end of it all. The uncertainty of what the opponent would do next. It was intoxicating. It was what gave him his adrenaline. And he thrived on it. No matter who the opponent or what the stakes, he loved the battle. And everything that came with it. He pushed a few strands of his blonde hair from his face, and looked to the other side of the battlefield.

“Looks like we’re here again,” his opponent said, his words ringing across the arena.

“Did we ever leave this point, Ben?” Elliot replied. He ran a finger over one of the pokeballs at his waist.

“I guess not,” Ben agreed, grinning too. “We’ve always been like this.”

“This time’s different, though, Ben,” Elliot continued. “This time, I’m ready. I’m gonna win, no matter what.”

“We’ll just see about that,” Ben said, flicking his long, curly hair from his eyes and reaching for his belt. He snatched up the first of his pokeballs, throwing it as hard as he could into the arena. It cracked open, and with a bright flash of light, his pokemon was released. Sneasel, the cat pokemon. Elliot raised an eyebrow.

“That’s a new one,” he commented, grabbing one of his own pokeballs. He, too, threw his pokeball into the arena. With a second flash, Elliot’s pokemon was released. A Buneary. The rabbit pokemon hopped from side to side, curling and uncurling her ears as she readied herself.

“So’s that,” Ben replied. “Sneasel, let’s start things strong with an Ice Punch!”

Sneasel immediately obliged, bending his knees and springing forward, his movements swift as he closed the gap between himself and Buneary. Buneary did not need telling what to do - before Sneasel got close enough to launch his attack, Buneary had vanished. The rabbit was running around the arena with incredible speed, several images of her appearing, but soon skidded to a halt, stood a fair distance from Sneasel.

“An Agility, of course,” Elliot explained. “Buneary is fast. Show him a Bounce!”

Buneary nodded, and took a small running start before positively launching herself into the air as though she had been fired from a cannon, reaching a height that seemed impossible for such a small creature. She flipped in the air, tucking in her limbs to build up momentum, and dropping down faster than she had risen.

“A Bounce?” Ben asked.

“Watch and learn, Ben,” Elliot replied, nodding to the pokemon.

Sneasel dodged the attack, diving to the side. However, Buneary landed and immediately jumped again, drop-kicking the cat. Sneasel was sent skidding across the floor. He pulled himself to his feet, rubbing his side where Buneary had kicked him.

“Jump Kick. Your Sneasel’s gonna be feeling the effects of that one,” Elliot explained briefly, a grin plastered to his face.

“At four times damage, and caught off guard,” Ben muttered to himself. “Sneasel, Ice Beam! Stop Buneary from moving across the arena!”

Sneasel nodded, and jumped into the air, his palms held parallel as he focused. A glowing sphere of blue-white, ice element formed there as the cat summoned up his inner ice affinity, and with a powerful thrust he blasted the beam down. Tendrils of ice snaked across the arena, freezing everything they came into contact with. Buneary quickly jumped from side to side, dodging the ice as it came close, but her breath was coming out as steam. The arena was freezing solid.

“Ben, you need to attack, not just focus on getting advantages,” Elliot lectured. “Buneary! While Sneasel’s in the air, use Sky Uppercut!”

Buneary nodded. Despite the frozen arena, she was moving just as quickly and confidently as she was before, and shot across the arena. The affects of her Agility still lingering, she threw herself into the sky, her fist glowing brightly as she rapidly rose like a bird. In the air, there was no time to dodge, and Sneasel was hit with a powerful blow to his stomach. Because of the attack, he could not even right himself to land smoothly and crashed into the arena, unconscious.

“First round goes to me,” Elliot said, recalling Buneary. He quickly selected his next pokemon, and threw the pokeball into the arena. “Next one… Let’s go, Furret!”

Another flash of light, and Furret stood in the arena, his long figure poised and ready for battle.

“A Furret, huh?” Ben commented, recalling Sneasel. “Nice job Sneasel, you did your best. Okay, let’s go… Medicham!”

Ben threw his second pokeball. Again, a flash of light ended, revealing Ben’s second pokemon. Medicham stood, watching Furret closely for signs of attack.

“My turn first? Let’s start things out with a Slam attack, Furret!”

Furret immediately jumped into action. The ice, rather than slowing Furret down seemed to speed him up. He slid across the arena quickly, rapidly building up momentum, strengthening the Slam attack. Medicham, however, seemed to have other ideas. She stepped back on her glowing foot, and as soon as Furret got close enough, she kicked at the ferret pokemon swifting, hitting the pokemon’s jaw and throwing him back.

“Ouch, a kick to the teeth,” Elliot commented, wincing. “Furret, you okay? Hyper Voice it!”

Furret shook his head, trying to clear the stars he could see after that powerful kick. It had really hit hard, he was really feeling the effects. Any more hits like that, and he would be down for the count. Quickly, Furret drew himself to his tallest height. He opened his mouth and let out a ridiculously loud, banshee-like screech. Elliot and Ben immediately clapped their hands to their ears - the sound was painful to hear. Medicham was having similar issues, on her knees, head cradled in her hands as she tried to block out the sound.

“Medicham! Mind Reader and High Jump Kick!” Ben roared over the sound.

Medicham forced herself to look up, her eyes glowing as she peered into Furret’s mind, reading what he would do to dodge. Immediately, she stood up and sprinted at Furret, throwing herself high into the sky. As she knew he would, Furret dived to the right, but Medicham was already moving in that direction. She flipped in the air and brought her foot smashing down on the ferret’s head. Furret’s face was throw into the ground painfully, and she didn’t move, completely knocked out.

“Atcha…” Elliot said softly, clicking his fingers. “Return Furret, you did ace.”

“Elliot?”

“Yeah?”

Never ask a pokemon to use Hyper Voice again,” Ben demanded, rubbing his temples. After recalling Medicham, he selected his third and final pokemon, throwing the pokeball. “Let’s show him how it’s done, Absol!”

With a bright blue flash this time, Absol appeared, rearing back on to his hind legs and swinging his head threateningly, the blade glinting in the light.

“I bet I know your first move,” Elliot commented, winking. “Okay, we’ll beat him this time. Let’s go, Ledian!”

Elliot threw his third and final pokeball, the ball opening with a green flash and a flurry of stars. Ledian appeared, her wings beating quickly to keep her in the air, swinging her arms as she readied her many punching techniques.

“Seals? Since when did you use Seals on your pokeballs?” Ben enquired.

“Since I realised that they look awesome,” Elliot replied.

“…Whatever. Absol, Perish Song!”

Absol nodded, and opened his mouth, singing a very melancholy tune that would not sound out of place at a funeral. Above the arena, a bell melted into view, with three glowing lights on it.

“Perish Song… You’re forcing the match to be over quickly. Alright Ledian, let’s do this. Agility!”

Ledian nodded, and suddenly her wings were working overtime. They moved so quickly, the bug pokemon did not appear to actually have any wings. Ledian started darting around the arena with alarmingly high speed, changing direction at the blink of an eye.

“Absol! Attack with Slash!”

Absol followed Ledian’s movements for a moment, then ran at her, swinging his head as he moved. As Ledian swerved in the air and changed direction, Absol dived at her, slashing with his head blade. Ledian quickly flew backwards, but the horn skimmed her torso, opening a shallow cut. Above them, the bell chimed, and the first light went out.

“Ledian! Get him with a Bug Buzz!”

There was a wealth of space above their heads, aside from the ball, so Ledian immediately flew directly upward. One he was comfortably out of Absol’s reach, he began beating his wings, but ever so slightly differently. This time, he was making a perculiar sound, the sound of a bee as it buzzed. The sound penetrated the ear drums of everyone around. Even though the trainers tried to cover their ears, the sound still hit them, and Elliot found himself with a massive headache. Absol glared up at the bug. Even though the sound was tearing up his eardrums and causing his head massive pain, he was already thinking of a way to stop it.

“Absol! Razor Wind!”

Absol jumped back, his horn glowing a violent blue as a strong wind rippled through the arena. The wind covered the sound of the buzz, but Absol was not finished. Jumping up, he sliced the air with his blade three times, each time releasing a visible blade of wind. Ledian moved quickly, swerving around the first, but the second was spinning as it approached her. As she tried to dodge, she ended up flying right into the attack, and was thrown backwards. The third blade hit with a similar effect.

The second chime, and the second light went out.

“Okay, let’s see if we can knock that thing out in this last round. Ledian, Mach Punch!”

With a glowing fist, Ledian flipped backward in the air, making a large arch before shooting towards the arena floor. He spun as he flew, not immediately flying at Absol. Ledian was sure that Absol would easily find a way to counter or dodge the attack if he attacked head on, so instead he was waiting momentarily. Suddenly, Ledian swerved and shot at Absol’s back like a bullet, throwing the powerful punch. Absol tried to dodge, but the move was too quick, and he was sent flying forward. However, the dark type was not quite down for the count just yet.

“Absol, Psycho Cut!”

Absol nodded, focusing briefly. Summoning up his psychic side was a fair bit more difficult than anything else he had done so far, but do it he did. His blade started glowing violently, but it was not a normal glow - the entire blade seemed to be shifting, warping uncontrollably. Absol immediately ran at Ledian, moving like a dog hunting down a cat. Ledian quickly flew back, wings working overtime, but something about that psychic attack was interfering with his rhythm, and he was not going as fast as he should have been. At the last moment, Ledian swerved, the Psycho Cut hitting his leg and knocking him, sending him spinning through the air. The attack had hurt, but he still had not fallen.

The bell chimed for a third and final time.

Both pokemon fainted, and were recalled.

“Nice match, Ben,” Elliot said appreciatively, nodding to Ben.

“Agreed. You’ve been improving,” Ben replied.

“You too,” Elliot commented, grinning.

“Well, until next time,” Ben said, waving and turning to leave.

“Yeah. Next time,” Elliot said to himself.

Title: Magikarp Rain!
Word Count: 1851

------

Pallet Town crackled and burned as a fire raged through the city. It would seem Team Rocket was raiding the small town frequently these days. Usually the raids consisted of nothing mare than a handful of Rockets running into town and attempting to steal cigarettes from the only gas station around for a fifty-mile radius. The Rockets would quickly turn tail and run after being thwarted by the elderly woman working the counter and her clever use of knitting needles.

Raids like this one though, in which half the town would typically be smoldering ash by sunrise, were not planned and usually an accident. For example, this particular raid started when a rather clumsy member dropped his last cigarette into his gas tank. The resulting explosion threw enough burning debris at the surrounding homes that they went up in flames quickly. Wanting to save face, his cohorts called a few friends and poof, instant raid! Thus, Rockets ran willy-nilly acting as though this had been planned for months.

“Help! Help me someone!” cried one of the many victims. She was an attractive young woman – blonde, blue-eyed, and buxom. Unfortunately, she was an idiot.

Her current predicament was also rather perilous. Fire raged around her as she lay tied up on the floor of her quaint home. To make matters worse on the other side of the room was a Rocket making his way towards her.

“What are you going to do to me?” She whimpered.

The Rocket stopped for a moment then answered, “Probably just keep advancing towards you menacingly until the Hero arrives.”

“Oh, well carry on then,”

“Thank you,”

The Rocket continued to close the gap until finally the blonde lay at his feet. The man looked at his watch and tapped his foot.

“I really thought he’d be here by now.” The Rocket said as he glanced over at the door.

“Hmm… Maybe you should just go back and do it again?” she suggested.

The Rocket nodded and crossed back over to the other side of the room and, just as before, advanced menacingly towards her. After doing this four more times the Rocket was about to give up when a loud thud resounded on the door.

The two looked over and watched for a moment expecting the hero to come crashing in but instead there was only another thud. Then another. And another.

“I really don’t have time for this…” The Rocket said impatiently and walked over to open the door. As he threw it open he nearly laughed at what he saw.

The Hero stood on the welcome mat holding a Magikarp over his shoulder like a baseball bat. They stared at each other for a moment before the Rocket finally spoke.

“So I guess-“

The Hero immediately slung his Magikarp at the Rocket, “MAGIKARP RAIN!”

Surprised the villain stumbled backwards into the room.

“What the heck is your malfunction?” The Rocket snapped as he clutched his head.

“Gonna Suck Until Level 20 Gained!” The hero recited as he struck the Rocket again, this time knocking him over. He swung the fish repeatedly, each strike adding another line to the poem.

“MAGIKARP RAIN!
Using Flail To Make You Feel My Pain!
MAGIKARP RAIN!
No One Lower On The Feeding Chain!
MAGIKARP RAIN!
Psyducks Always Trippin’ On Cocaine!”

Eventually the Rocket managed to kick the Hero back. For a while they just glared at one another while the house slowly crumbled around them

“My name is Dustin Bulbs Hamuu!” the hero said finally.

“Mines Badguy McNasty,” the rocket retorted.

“I’m Bob,” the blonde-haired woman said cheerfully.

The two men looked at her and in unison asked, “Bob?”

“Yeah,” She looked down, “My dad wanted a boy…”

Perplexed, McNasty turned back towards his opponent and saw that Hamuu was coming at him with the Magikarp again.

“No! No! No! None of that, if you want a pokemon battle lets do this right!”

Hamuu looked down dejectedly, “Alright I guess.”

The rocket grabbed a ball from his belt and released a rather angry looking Growlithe. Once again, the two stared each other down for what seemed like minutes.

“Well, aren’t you two going to battle?” Bob asked as she looked back and forth between them.

“I’m waiting for him to call out his pokemon.” McNasty answered pointing over at Hamuu.

“But I have a pokemon already out,” the hero said as he dangled Magikarp in the air by it’s tail.

“Magikarp’s can’t do anything? Why would you use that?” the rocket asked perplexed.

“Can’t do anything? Ha! Have you already forgotten the magnificent tackle it used to take you down moments ago?” Hamuu scoffed.

“Tackle? You hit me with it! Then you wailed on my while I was defenseless!”

“Magi, Karp.” The small fish pokemon managed weakly.

“Yeah, he isn’t very smart.” Hamuu answered with a laugh.

“Whatever,” McNasty muttered, “Growlithe use ember!”

Growlithe pounced towards his master’s opponent but was abruptly knocked upside his head with the Magikarp.

“MAGIKARP RAIN! Playing Abel To Feebas’s Cain!” Hamuu hollered out as Growlithe tumbled backwards.

“Would you stop doing that?!” McNasty yelled.

Growlithe staggered up to his feet and barked, a lot.

“What’s he saying?” Hamuu asked.

“Well at first it was just a long strain of obscenities but know he’s just making a list of things he’d like to do with your mother.”

“Your Growlithe knows his mom? It is a small world!” Bob said with a smile.

“Seriously, stop talking,” McNasty growled before turning his attention back to the fight.

“Alright I guess it’s time to use our special move! Magikarp use Dragons Rage!” Hamuu yelled and tossed his Magikarp across the room.

“What?! That’s impossible! Growlithe dodge it!” McNasty said as he took cover.

“HAHAHAHAHA MAGIKARP RAIN! Now You Feel Mundane!” Hamuu laughed clutching his side.

“You tricked me…” McNasty said, “Fine Growlithe, Take Down Attack now!”

Silence.

“Growlithe?” McNasty turned to see his small dog like pokemon unconscious on the floor behind him. “What did you do to him?!”

“I did nothing,” Hamuu crossed his arms, “Your Growlithe jumped right into a two by four. Not my fault that it was weak against my Magikarps Confusion attack.”

“Alright, new pokemon! I am through with your stupid Magikarp Rain! It’s driving me insane!” The Rocket immediately covered his mouth with both hands when he realized what he had said.

“Catchy isn’t it,” Hamuu smiled.

“Argh! That’s it! Go Gengar!” McNasty yelled as he tossed another pokeball.

“Ghost aye? Fine, go Bulbasaur!” Hamuu said letting his ball loose as well.

The two pokemon appeared in a haze of red light and immediately Bulbasuar ran back to Hamuu for cover.

“What wrong little fella?” Hamuu asked.

“Buba buba saur!” It said and looked around at all the flames.

“Oh don’t worry I have a special flame retardant mixture I made,” Hammu took a bottle from his pocket and poured the contents on the small dinosaur like pokemon.

“I’m not gonna lie,” McNasty said sniffing the air, “That smells like pure gasoline…”

Hamuu ignored him and finished rubbing the rest of the liquid into his pokemons skin. Bulbasaur looked at the bottle then at McNasty.

“Bubasaur?” It asked scared.

“No, he was just trying to frighten you. I made this out of a bunch of flame resistant chemicals at the house.” Hamuu said then tucked the bottle into his pocket.

“Whatever,” McNasty said as he waited. When his opponents were ready he launched an attack, “Gengar use Lick!”

“Gengar!” It hissed and flew through the air towards Bulbasaur.

“Quick, jump into the flames to avoid the attack!” Hamuu commanded.

“Buba,” Bulbsaur shook his head and held his position.

“Fine,” Hamuu said as he grabbed the pokemon by its vines and tossed it into the flames.

There was a crackling sound then a flash of light as the bulbasuar ignited into flames and instantaneously burned up.

“Oo, pretty,” Bob giggled.

Hamuu’s mouth hung open as he stared at the pile of ash that used to be his pokemon.

“Told you smelled like gasoline.” McNasty said as he recalled Gengar.

“But the bottles all said ‘inflammable’ on them… I don’t understand how this could have happened.” Hamuu said as he attempted to scoop the ashes into a pokeball.

“Inflammable means it’ll catch fire,” McNasty almost felt sorry for the poor guy.

“Figures, Magikarp’s attacks were so powerful they affected your head. Flammable means it’ll catch fire, inflammable is the opposite.” Hamuu ‘corrected’ his opponent.

McNasty no longer felt sorry for the guy. “I think you’re mentally retarded. Well since I’m the winner I will be on way.”

Hamuu held up a hand, “Not so fast, I still have one more Pokemon.”

The hero pulled a jet-black pokeball from his belt and released the pokemon.

“Missingno, I choose you.”

As the red light dissipated, it revealed an odd L shaped pokemon that seemed to be nothing more than wires and blocks.

“Wow a Missingno… What the heck is a Missingno?” McNasty said eyeing the thing curiously.

“Oh, it’s only the most awesome pokemon ever. Even better than Mew.” Hamuu stuck out his tongue.

“Well do to a plot device, I just so happen to have a Mew.” McNasty smiled and released the small jovial cat like pokemon.

“It’s so cute!” Bob squealed, “Can I pet it?”

“If you touch him I will kick you in the teeth.” McNasty said.

“Oh, ok.” Bob said sadly.

“Alright,” Hamuu said, “Missingno, Sky Attak!”

“Sky Attack?” McNasty questioned, “But it doesn’t have wings how can it- uff”

Mew collided into the rocket after having beet struck by an invisible force.

“That is it! I am fed up with all this junk! Mew kill them both!”

“Not so fast,” Hamuu smiled, “Missingno, Data Corruption!”

The wires and boxes that made up the pokemon began to hum as they vibrated. Light began to build up within the creature until, at it’s peak, it focused all the energy into a wave that washed over McNasty and Mew. When the wave of light had faded, the rocket had vanished without a trace.

“What did you do to him?” Bob asked.

“I made him start over,” Hamuu answered.

“What does that mean?”

“It’s not important,” Hamuu said as he knelt down and began to untie the many knots, “What matters is that I won and got the girl.”

“Oh, well sorry to tell you but I am married.” Bob said.

Hamuu stopped untying, “What?” He reached into his pocket and pulled out a small piece of paper. “Is this not 1213 Glenwood St?”

“No, that’s across the street.” Bob tried to look down where the knots were located but was unable to, “Are you done untying already?”

“Sorry but I must have made a mistake. I was suppose to save who ever lived there,” With that Hamuu recalled Missingno and slung his Magikarp back over his shouder. “MAGIKARP RAIN!” he bellowed as he ran out of the house.

Bob looked around and tried to move but had little success. “Jerk could have at least untied me,” She muttered shortly before the ceiling collapsed.

Title: Versus Vincent
Word Count: 1,998 (wow XD)
Trainers: Naven V.S. Vincent
Brief Summary: "Now's not the time to be a nervous Naven, this is just the beginning of the Pokemon League's power!"
*Italics means those are his current thoughts. Enjoy;}

“On the left side, we have Naven of Ecruteak City!” The referee lifted his green flag to signal my presence as my side of the somewhat glared board lit up; picture, name and all. The crowd roared, but caught on a little late due to the unknowing of my hometown.
“And taking up the right, we are proud to present our very own, Vincent of Canalave City right here in Sinnoh. The stadium bellowed with excitement, due to everyone pretty much knowing where Canalave City is. Just like with me, the referee mirrored the way he announced me; with the flag and the board flashing his permanent entry picture, name, and completing the equilibrium of the board.
“This will be a 3 on 3 match. The first one to win 2 matches is the victor,” Recited the ref. “BEGIN!”
“Good luck!” Vincent uttered. “This wont be an easy battle; I assure you that.
I was so scared to mess up my cool. My stomach was in the biggest knot and my mouth felt like paper it was so dry.
Ok, cool down. Just respond, make it look like you have all the confidence in the world, and start this damn battle.
“Good luck to you too; I will battle my, great my voice cracked, hardest.” I replied.
“Go get em’ Armaldo!”
“Take em’ down Kirlia!”
We both flung our pokeballs into the air as the bright, white stream of light released our waiting friends. There stood his Armaldo and here stood my Kirlia.
“Ready when you are!” I cried with a smirk. He just smiled back, unnerved by my self assured emotion.
“Ok, Armaldo, use Waterpulse!” Armaldo roared as clear blue waves shimmered and encircled the pokemon, fanning out towards the ends of the field.
“Get ready Kirlia, use Barrier!” Kirlia threw out a palm and framed a solid glassy window, which easily blocked the on coming waves. Too easy, I thought. He must be testing my abilities, why would he use such a mediocre level of power.
“Well then, if that is all you have, Kirlia, Psybeam!” Kirlia exploded with an array of concentrated force, smacking Armaldo dead on in the face.
Yes! Oh! Wait! The Armaldo rocked back into place with not even a scratch on its armor.
“Heh, Armaldo, Dig!” The giant pokemon leaped into the air and with ease, burrowed under ground. Kirlia and I were oblivious to its whereabouts in the field. Suddenly, the ground broke open and the dark, blue pokemon snaked out and barraged Kirlia with its claws. Kirlia fell through the air, recovered on the ground and skidded back into place.
“Now, Rock Throw!” Armaldo nodded and jutted its claw into the soft dirt, lifting up a chunk of rubble.
“Throw!” Armaldo tossed the heap of dirt towards our side.
“Kirlia, Teleport.” Kirlia blurred, and in an instant, disappeared, rendering the rock unable to hit its destined target. Kirlia returned and lightly fell to its feet. As the smoke cleared, Armaldo was no where in sight.
“Attack!”
Just as we were trying to recollect the situation, Armaldo blew out of the ground once more in attempts to attack.
“Kirlia, fall back!” the trusty pokemon fell back as Armaldo tried to uppercut Kirlia for a continuous beating. As Armaldo was bewildered by the course of events, Kirlia gave it a good kick to the abdomen, knocking it a decent distance so that we could recover with no interruption.
“Kirlia, now use Shadowball!” he gave a flick of the arm and formed an orb of what looked like a void of darkness. “Kirlia run for Armaldo!” As Kirlia shuttled for the oversized crayfish, Vincent beckoned his forefront.
“Armaldo, X-Scissor!” Armaldo crossed its arms, and made what looked like the sharpening of a knife sort of move as a thick glowing “X” bounded across the ground. Kirlia stopped and threw its readying Shadowball for the pokemon, only to meet the persistent X-Scissor in the middle. Neither would let up, until the Shadowball dissipated and the X-Scissor proved victorious!
This is bad! Kirlia was caught off guard and pushed back with little effort; the rock sandwiching it between the attack and its self. Kirlia slumped to the floor, but was still holding on.
“Kirlia! Come on, you can do it!” He really isn’t going to go easy!
“Now, finish it!” one more X-Scissor started across the way. I was scared for Kirlia and for the next battle!
“Oh! No, No! Why now, why couldn’t you be more careful!” I fervidly gazed over to the audience to see 2 men fighting; bickering as they watched a gleaming stone fly through the air and skid right in front of Kirlia. Kirlia gazed up and tiredly reached for the rock as a blinding aura encased him and started to morph his figure. The X-Scissor crashed and smoke blew over the arena. I could barely see as me and Vincent shielded our faces. When it cleared, I could make out what seemed to be a warrior. And there he stood.
“Gallade!” the crowd and Vincent fell silent as my smile crept to the corners of my face while I stared at my new friend.
It must have been a Dawn Stone! How lucky am I! The men were so distraught over the loss and my opponent quickly returned from his shock to the battle.
“Armaldo, Rock Throw!” Armaldo once again, chucked the heap of dirt across the stadium.
“Gallade, get it out of here.” Gallade fluidly brushed off the large rock as if it were a pebble. “You have adjusted well to your new body!” I yelled.
“Hmm, Armaldo leap into the air and then Rock Throw!” Armaldo mustered up its largest one yet and rocketed into the clear sky.
“Gallade, Psychocut!” With the Boulder heading for Gallade like a meteor, our new attack shot through the air and cleanly sliced open the powerful dirt clump in 2.
“Now Gallade, Teleport and finish it with Leafblade!” Rendered useless, Armaldo couldn’t attack and was subjected to a quick teleport and a blade of the grass element slamming it with a crash into the turf below.
“Armaldo is unable to battle, Gallade is the winner!” the crowed cheered as I smiled at Gallade and Vincent called back his defeated pokemon.
“Alrighty then, its time for you to meet a fighter of my own!” Vincent sifted through his pokeballs and vigorously tossed it for the stadium. Out cried a Toxicroak; a shiny one nonetheless.
I was definitely confident now, I felt at ease in the battle.
“Ok, come back Gallade. Go Milot-
Just as I was about to call out Milotic, another one of my pokeballs shifted and let out a crack. There laid my Swinub.
No! Of all the times to make your entrance, it has to be now! I looked around to see what had become of this spectacle, and to my embarrassment was the whole stadium erupting into laughter!
“Well, this should be easy!” Vincent assumed. “Toxicroak, Dark Pulse!” His Toxicroak lifted its arms and produced a spinning vortex of dark energy. After it was finished collecting its power, Toxicroak flung its arms forward, releasing the bundle of foggy aura for my defenseless Swinub.
“Err, Swinub Ice Beam!” Swinub opened its miniscule mouth, only to produce a thread of chilly waves.
Ice beam is not good enough yet! This is so embarrassing! I wish I was never here!! While I was too busy talking to myself the Dark Pulse zoomed across completely and utterly splitting the cold breeze away and buffeted Swinub; whirling it past me, and slamming it into the wall of the stadium seats.
“Swinub is unable to battle! Toxicroak is the victor!” The crowd snickered and guffawed at my poor performance. Toxicroak and Vincent stood proud all the while yawning at such a boring display of skill.
“It’s okay!” he chuckled. “There still is the last round, this will determine everything!” I nodded and reached for the last pokeball.
Here we go! Just one more and I know YOU can do it!
“Go Gengar!” There stood my starter from Ecruteak, Gengar. Smiling with confidence more then ever, Gengar jumped up and down and chuckled its eerie little laugh.
“Ah, a Gengar. Well then lets meet my Alakazam!” Vincent chucked his last pokemon's pokeball into the air and like a beacon from the sky fell Alakazam to its feet.
Lets see if I can win alone on skill rather than luck like the first round. Gengar stuck its tongue out and messed its eyes up, trying to distemper the Alakazam. Sadly it was working and Alakazam was getting all worked up because of it.
“Alakazam, Focus Blast!” Alakazam constructed a spheroid of blue light whilst it glowed with a powerful ambience. Alakazam then released its attack and shot it like a bullet for Gengar.
“Gengar, dodge!” Gengar lifted its bottom upwards creating an arc under it in a cartoonish manner as it laughed at Alakazam’s attempt to hurt it. Alakazam was furious now!
“Gengar, Thunderbolt!” Gengar sparked and eventually was brimming with electricity! With a swish of its arms, Gengar sent a pillar of lightening for Alakazam. Alakazam couldn’t avoid it and was put into a state of weak paralysis. Shaking it off, Alakazam rushed forward towards Gengar.
“Alakazam, Zen Headbutt.” Alakazam shook its head. Within a few moments, its cranium was enveloped in a thick coat of telekinetic power.
“Gengar look out!” But Alakazam was too fast, Gengar could only leap back to cushion the blow as the direct headbutt collided with the dusky body. Gengar flew back into the rock, but landed on it with his feet as a recovery method.
“Very impressive, yelled Vincent.” Now Alakazam! Ice punch!” snow whipped around the Alakazam’s hand, forming a chunk of ice for a nice heavy hit.
“Gengar, thunderbolt!” Gengar again unleashed a plethora of electricity, but Alakazam dodged this one, anticipating for another hit on Gengar. Gengar knew I didn’t know what to do so it luckily improvised. Gengar started to generate more electricity, but only in its arm.
“I see! Gengar, Thunder Punch!” just as soon as Alakazam met Genger, the latter was ready with its new fist. They just went at it non stop; knocking each others attacks out of the way; never landing a blow. The pokemon eventually jumped apart, knowing it was futile to continue.
“How interesting.” Vincent expressed.
“Oh I’ll show you interesting, Gengar! Lets try THAT combo” I retorted. Gengar chuckled.
“Gengar! Sludge Bomb!”
“Alakazam! Light Screen!” Alakazam; readied Light Screen, not knowing what was going to happen. Gengar shot the acidic waste at Alakazam, only having it bounce off and onto the ground. He was so sure it was a petty attempt.
“Look.” I replied. The field was covered in sludge and there was no where to avoid it.
“Alakazam don’t touch-
It was too late; Alakazam was slipping up all over the place.
“Now’s our chance, Get’em Gengar! Hypnosis!” Gengar popped up right in front of the confused Alakazam only to gaze into its eyes and be rewarded with a dose of sleepiness.
“No! Alakazam!” Vincent cried. But Alakazam was already asleep and subject to my combo.
“Finish it up Gengar! Shadowball Combo!” Gengar laughed and zoomed overhead of Alakazam. Taking a breath, Gengar started machine gunning out Shadowballs for the drowsy pokemon; stopping them from colliding with Alakazam until it was completely concealed.
“Collapse.” Gengar flicked its finger and the Shadowball dome caved in; consuming the field in dust and debris.
When the smoke cleared, the scene was uncovered and there laid an unconscious Alakazam and a giggling Gengar.
“Alakazam is unable to battle! Naven is the victor!” I was so overjoyed; speechless even to find myself the winner.
I think Vincent’s saying something to me. I was way too distracted to make out what he was saying. All I could think about is the warm sun and what was next to come in this unsuspecting league.

Last edited:
This is my entry for the fanfic contest. Although it is written in the third person it does feature me, Alex.Yes, I’m the villain in this.
Just as a side note, I’m British, so I use British spellings - just making sure you don’t mistake it for errors! Hope you enjoy it.
Title: Battle for Hoenn
Word Count: 2000 words

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Alex, criminal mastermind, accompanied, as always by his Gastly, which he keeps outside of its Poké Ball, is in a bunker deep under the sea of Route 131, he is in the final stage of realising the goal that he has been working towards for the last year – the total annihilation of all of Hoenn! His weapons are in place and if all goes according to plan, the only thing in Hoenn to survive will be his bunker – no longer would it be the wart on the face of the Pokémon world that it had been for so long!

However, as he is about to press the button which would initiate the sequence ending with the deployment of his heavy arsenal of weaponry, the sealed shut door of his bunker is blasted open by a Pokémon attack!
“Not so fast!” cries a voice.
Alex looks up to see Brendan, the Champion of Hoenn’s Pokémon League and son of Petalburg’s Gym Leader, Norman!
“It’s too late!” shouts Alex in response, “You can’t stop me now!”
Alex quickly hits the button, and a timer appears on the screen before him. Ten minutes.

Of course, Alex didn’t count on the fact that Brendan knew that he could still stop him – by eliminating the power source for the weaponry, Alex’s prized Gastly! All Brendan needs to do to stop it is make the Pokémon faint, but it isn’t going to be easy.

Brendan sends out his Altaria – which makes a beeline for Gastly with an Aerial Ace. Unfortunately for Brendan, Alex sends out his Gyarados, which blocks the manoeuvre with a fearsome Aqua Tail! Due to its resistance, Altaria is able to avoid taking too much damage, but is hit across the room from the sheer force of the attack.
“Ice Beam!” commands Alex at the top of his voice, desperate to do away with this intruder before the ten minutes are over, so he can enjoy the destruction of Hoenn from the comfort of his armchair.
Gyarados launches an Ice Beam straight at Altaria, but it manages to dodge out of the way, and the attack hits the doorframe, freezing the exit shut behind Brendan.
“I guess there’s no going back now,” thinks Brendan, wishing he had packed at least one Pokémon with a fire attack, just in case he needed to make a quick getaway.
Altaria flies around the room at top speed and then suddenly fires a Dragonbreath at Gyarados – who responds in kind! The two are locked in a mortal struggle, with both attacks growing gradually stronger and stronger.
Alex whispers something to Gyarados, who proceeds to power his attack down. Brendan is at first confused, but then catches sight of the clock, which now displays just nine minutes – Alex is playing for time!

Seeing that he is dealing with an incredibly intelligent foe, Brendan realises that he has to step his game up a notch.
Alex has Gyarados weaken his Dragonbreath to the point that it is barely fending off that of Altaria, with the intent of powering it up only when necessary.
Brendan waits until Gyarados’s Dragonbreath appears to be as weak as it is going to get and has Altaria take the attack! Altaria is hit back and sustains a fair amount of damage, although not nearly as much as it could have.
“Altaria!” shouts Brendan, “Use Perish Song!”

Alex, still bemused by Brendan ordering his Pokémon to willingly be hit by an attack which it is vulnerable to, does not react in time to have Gyarados make any attempt at avoiding Altaria’s song, but manages to retreat his Gastly back into its Poké Ball just in time to avoid also being cursed by the attack.

As soon as Altaria finishes singing, Alex promptly releases Gastly, who grumbles resentfully at being made to go inside a Poké Ball, however brief and necessary it may be.

As a result of the Perish Song, both Altaria and Gyarados have exactly one minute before they will both suddenly faint. Alex curses Brendan for stopping his time wasting tactics. Alex glances at the screen to his side, it’ll give an accurate measure of how long Gyarados has left. Eight minutes and thirty seconds left until Hoenn’s destruction.

Brendan pauses thoughtfully, if he can engage the Gyarados in battle and then withdraw Altaria a second before their time is up, he can leave Alex with only one Pokémon to defend his Gastly, while still having three himself.

“Aerial Ace!” cries Brendan, to which Altaria obediently moves down to strike Gyarados, who retaliates with an Ice Fang, as instructed by its trainer. The two are locked in a grapple, with Gyarados’ freezing fangs biting down on Altaria’s neck and Altaria’s beak pecking at Gyarados’ eyes. Eight minutes remain.

Alex sees Brendan checking the time and figures out his plan.
“I don’t think so,” he says and orders Gyarados to Body Slam Altaria. The huge serpent slams down on Altaria with an incredible force. Altaria is too weak from the onslaught to try and free itself and Gyarados is also too badly injured to pick itself up. The two Pokémon lie in a heap for the remaining thirty seconds, then both suddenly faint. Seven minutes, thirty seconds remaining.

Trying the same trick as when he sent out Altaria, Brendan throws his next Pokémon’s Poké Ball down right next to Gastly.
“Go! Aggron! Iron Tail!”
But Alex is too fast and successfully sends out his next Pokémon to block the move – Charizard!
Alex is not familiar with the Pokémon of Hoenn, but is fairly sure that Aggron is a pure Steel type, which gives his Charizard, as a Fire type a distinct advantage.
“Fire Blast!” shouts Alex, knowing that this attack would be completely unavoidable due to its scale and Aggron’s speed, but also, if his calculations were correct, it would take out Aggron in a single move.
Alex begins laughing to himself triumphantly, but when the fire clears – Aggron still stands!
“But how?!” exclaims Alex, “He’s vulnerable to Fire type attacks!”
“Wrong!” antagonises Brendan, “Aggron is dual type Rock, which neutralises his weakness! Aggron! Rock Slide!”
Suddenly, Aggron summons a barrage of rocks which fall from the ceiling onto Charizard. In his bewilderment at Aggron’s survival of Charizard’s Fire Blast, Alex fails to order a counter and Charizard immediately slumps to the floor. Six minutes remaining.

Alex smirks. He is ashamed that such a strong Pokémon of his was defeated so quickly, simply because of his own poor knowledge of Hoenn Pokémon, but he was happy too, because the loss gives him an excuse to use his strongest Pokémon…
“Go, Gastly!” he shouts, and his faithful Gastly flies from his side into the centre of the arena.

Although he has two Pokémon remaining and only needs to take out one more, Brendan knows that it’s still an uphill struggle. Alex’s Gastly is the strongest Pokémon he has ever heard of and it’s famous for its incredible abilities.

“Aggron!” shouts Brendan, “Use Iron Tail!”
Alex says nothing in response, but Gastly springs into action. It appears as if Alex is able to command his Pokémon telepathically, but it cannot be certain. Aggron swings its tail at Gastly with all the brute force it can muster, but Gastly dodges out of the way. Aggron turns around to see Gastly behind it, and discovers that it has taken the form of a female Aggron… and an attractive one at that. Aggron, who Brendan is abundantly aware is not the smartest Pokémon in his team, approaches the female Aggron with cautious optimism. Brendan shouts at him to back away and attack, but it is too enthralled. As Brendan’s Aggron reaches out his arm to touch the female Aggron, the female suddenly transforms back into Gastly and knocks Aggron back with a vicious Energy Ball! Aggron falls to the ground with a huge thud, but manages to pull itself up again – only to be hit by a Confuse Ray!

Brendan looks to the screen displaying the timer in fear, there’s only five minutes left, that’s half of the time he started with, will it be enough to stop the incredible force of Alex’s Gastly?

Aggron stumbles around in bewilderment as Gastly hits it with repeated Shadow Balls, which though ineffective are easy for Gastly to produce as a Ghost type itself.
“Pull it together, Aggron!” Brendan yells in anger, “We’re never gonna win like this!”
“You’re never gonna win at all,” says Alex, smirking at Brendan, then he looks at Gastly and nods. Gastly begins hitting Aggron with a barrage of Thunderbolts, they bring the metal beast back to its senses, but the unrelenting onslaught of attacks means that it is unable to retaliate or even attempt to move out of the way.
“That’s done it, Gastly,” informs Alex sternly. He looks at the screen to his side and smiles to himself, four minutes left – not long now.

Gastly finally ceases its ruthless bombardment, but Aggron is unable to move. Gastly’s attacks have not only drained the majority of its health, but have also paralysed it! Aggron and Gastly both remain motionless for a moment until Alex once again nods to Gastly, who flies at Aggron, hitting him square in the chest with an awesome Sucker Punch. This final attack sends the beast toppling to the floor. Brendan withdraws Aggron and glances back at the screen, only three minutes remaining, there’s not much time left.

Brendan sends out his last Pokémon, Gardevoir, but is feeling pessimistic.
“Ok, Gardevoir, we’ve got to make this quick, let’s go!” shouts Brendan, feigning enthusiasm, “Use a Psychic attack to start things off!”
Gardevoir bursts forward, focuses for a moment and fires a Psychic attack directly at Gastly, but all that is seen is a purple explosion where the sneaky ghost used to be.
“It did this with Aggron! Don’t let it fool you!” shouts Brendan.
Gardevoir turns around to see a Tyranitar towering over it.
“It’s just an illusion!” shouts Brendan, “Don’t be afraid! Use Psychic again!”
Gardevoir trusts its trainer’s judgement and as Tyranitar’s fearsome Crunch comes crashing down it fires the strongest Psychic it can muster which causes the dark giant to flinch and destroys Gastly’s illusion, turning it back into Gastly.
Brendan glances at the screen again, just two minutes now…
“Gardevoir! Use Future Sight to back yourself up later!” shouts Brendan.
Gardevoir focuses and uses Future Sight, sending an attack into the future to hit Gastly, but takes a Shadow Ball as a result. Gardevoir slumps for a moment before turning back to its trainer for further commands.
“Teleport!” shouts Brendan, seeing Gastly prepare its next attack.
Gastly fires a second Shadow Ball, this one hitting exactly where Gardevoir would have been. It looks around for Gardevoir, but its nowhere to be seen…
Brendan anticipates his Pokémon’s emergence eagerly, nervously checking the clock on the screen … Just one minute remains…
“Gardevoir!” shouts Brendan, “There’s no time for this! Use Psychic!”
Suddenly, Gardevoir bursts out of the shadows and hits Gastly with a Psychic blast, which it is completely unable to avoid. Gastly instantly hits back with a Shadow Ball, knocking Gardevoir to the floor.

The battle is lost and Gardevoir uses the last of its strength to Teleport Brendan to safety as the timer reaches zero. The explosions begin, Alex laughs triumphantly at Brendan’s pathetic attempts when suddenly – an attack comes from nowhere! Future Sight! Gastly is knocked out and the machines suddenly fail. Sealed into his bunker by the frozen door frame with no way of healing his Pokémon, Alex can do nothing but wait for the authorities to apprehend him – as Brendan left his father a note with Alex’s location before he left.

The area where Pacifidlog City was is completely destroyed. Luckily, due to a freak tidal wave caused by Alex’s weaponry, the entirety of Pacifidlog drifted all the way to the shore of Slateport so there were no casualties and Brendan successfully saved Hoenn.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom